edited April 2015 in The Citadel
I want to know who will be the best race to roll a paladin
and why?
too get some insight when I need to roll one
Post edited by kabinoles on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think we need some more info on them before we can state that. Trying to guess it at this point is kind of like throwing darts to pick a race. There are some that are more likely. Human and Dragonborn will be good by default, as will halfling for pvp etc.
  • toxicwolfietoxicwolfie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not enough info to say really.They just said the class was coming.Untill we can see skills,feats and passives,no way to even guess at what race might be best.Though for all intents,human would be the best I could say.Just because it's very general.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Halfling obviously. :p

Justice for Mazzy Fentan
  • h4rd4sironh4rd4siron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kabinoles wrote: »
    and why?

human for sure is the best race for paladin :)
    edited January 2015
    h4rd4siron wrote: »
    human for sure is the best race for paladin :)

It's way to early to say that. We have no idea on their feats etc. We can guess their stat roles based on phb but don't know for sure. I'm sure humans will be a good choice, because they're so general they're a good choice for all classes just like dragonborn are, saying that they're the best choice with absolutely no information behind it is almost deliberately misleading and is very harmful to the community and any new players that might read this. Making absolute statements like that is something that should never be done until we can actually test some builds and even then you will get people arguing it slightly.
  • nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2015
    the main abilities should be STR/CHA/WIS.. which one will be primary, hard to say, they changed primary for Warlock
    also decide if you wanna play PvP or PvE and we dont know if there will be new race or not
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think Metallic dragonborn was just release and it's obvious they meant the healing outpput/input bonus to match paladin healing/tanking abilities.

Also releasing the metallic dragonborn now ppl are rolling characters with it and will have to buy new character slots to roll paladin when it comes out was also obvious.
  • user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Why does everyone say halfling is best for pvp? becuase of its 3% deflect? ....what about dwarf 20% control resist?(which last I read only works in pvp)

Human is only good depending on the feats. Will the extra 3 feat points get you something good?
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If I roll a paladin, thinking of tiefling for personal flavor, even though I don't RP in game.

Otherwise go to would be dragonborn.. but the female customization is kind of lacking.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    user4035 wrote: »
    Why does everyone say halfling is best for pvp? becuase of its 3% deflect? ....what about dwarf 20% control resist?(which last I read only works in pvp)

Human is only good depending on the feats. Will the extra 3 feat points get you something good?

Control resist doesn't work against daze.

End of story.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    My first four will be:
    1) Human
    2) Menzo Drow
    3) Dragonborn
    4) Sun Elf

That's just me as I play for fun and not to min-max or be a supposed "best."

However, on that note as many do like such and there's nothing wrong with that: I'm leaning towards Dragonborn being very good for a paladin. For they can choose where to put both stats and have nice racial bonuses. Dwarves, Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, and Tieflings also have nice stat bonuses and racials that sound like they may compliment a paladin. However, I am basing this off of PnP D&D as we don't know for a fact yet what their primary and secondary stats will be and how they affect them mechanically.

In short, it's FAR too early to rely on such speculation.
    edited January 2015
    Last I knew it only worked on a couple pvp cc's and not everything. Very buggy and unreliable, where the deflect is reliable.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I will make 2 paladins. My first will be a human as that is the only race, other than the ones I do not have, that I have not made a character of. My second would probably be either a sun elf or dragonborn.
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well,
    it's quite obvious: either a drow or a tiefling or a halfling ;)
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Steel dragonborn, unfortunately. Human should be the best choice. Maybe one day in future modules there will be added bonusses when you pick a certain race an a certain class. Human and paladin, +10% CON. Elf and HR, +10% DEX. Halfling and TR, +10% errrrr no, nothing for TRs.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015

Dwarf has no CC resist:

Stand Your Ground: You have increased resistance to Knock and Repel effects.

Bug: Currently this only appears to function in PVP - monsters always have a 100% chance to knock or repel you if they try. It works in pvp roughly 10% of the time.

Cast Iron Stomach: You have increased damage resistance to Damage Over Time (DoT) effects.

Bug: Appears broken, suffer the same damage from Fire DoT as other races.
  • trique76trique76 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What abot the half-elf? At least in 4e wich NO is loosely based on he is a grea choice for paladins in the CORE races. I believe the CON/CHA combos will still be valide for paladins no?
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Everyone will have to wait and see what the heroic feats are and how they are set up. If there are more than 5 feat points worth of heroic feats in the fourth tier that are too good to pass up then human will be best. If not I imagine dragon born would be.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • nightjustinenightjustine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Currently, OP's primary ability score is Con, secondaries are Wisdom and Charisma.
    What they give per point above 10:
    Con gives +2,5% HP and +0,5% DR
    Wis gives +1% Bonus Healing, Crit Chance, Control Bonus and Control Resist
    Cha gives +1% Stamina Regen, AP gain, Combat Advantage Damage and Companion Stat Bonus
    Others:
    Str gives +1% DoT resist
    Dex gives +0,5% Deflect Chance and +1% AoE resist
    Int gives +1 Recharge Speed

Tier 4 Heroics:
    -Each point of Con gives more HP, up to +2,5%, 5 levels
    -Each point of Wis gives more Healing, up to +1%, 3 points
    -Each point of Cha gives more Crit Chance, up to +1%, 3 points

Human - the benefit from bonus feats is nice, might even be the best race.
    Other good races are those getting the best Ability Score bonuses, so: Half-Elf (Con and Cha or Wis), Dwarf (Con and Wis), Tiefling (Cha and Con) and Dragonborn (whatever combo you want) are all good choices.

(no, none of the Ability Scores give bonus damage, just saying beforehand)
    edited February 2015

Human - the benefit from bonus feats is nice, might even be the best race.

With the t4 feats as they are, I'd say that human is best by such a large margin that all other choices are gimp choices at the moment.
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    With the t4 feats as they are, I'd say that human is best by such a large margin that all other choices are gimp choices at the moment.

Its actually pretty well balanced in my opinion. Yes the human extra 3 are sweet but other races can compensate somewhat for the difference with ability score spreads. Not to mention that 4th tier feat group that the extra feats humans have, the dragonborns naturally get as well (mainly the +3% crit chance). It will all come down to what path you build on.

My advice, dragon born is best for tanking paladins if you have the race. If not then I'd suggest human for sure, though tiefling is definitely viable as well.

For a healing paladin, humans are absolutely the best as no race can mimick the increased heal % that humans can grab on top of the full 5 points in the HP boost feat.

Of course this is only if you want to min max. If not enjoy what you wish, I personally love the notion of a tiefling or half orc paladin trying to overcome others perception of them. Its the stuff of great RP
    edited February 2015
    caexar wrote: »
    Its actually pretty well balanced in my opinion. Yes the human extra 3 are sweet but other races can compensate somewhat for the difference with ability score spreads. Not to mention that 4th tier feat group that the extra feats humans have, the dragonborns naturally get as well (mainly the +3% crit chance). It will all come down to what path you build on.

I disagree, lets look at a prot pally.

Human 20con, 13wis, 13cha.

Going to go with level 60 numbers

Level ups will go in con and wis.

will receive two level ups in cha though at 30 and 60.

That's 5 crit just like dragonborn could get without it. However that discounts several things.
    Campfire buff +1cha
    Potion of heroism +1cha

Now lets look at artifact belts
    The cha one besides power has deflection, the wisdom one has defense. Deflection will likely still be better on this. So another win to cha.

Since the stat curves are going to get harsher, improvements from stats are now even more important.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kabinoles wrote: »
    and why?

Human is the best choice +2 con and +5 % crit chance or more healing.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited February 2015
    Everything you just posted means that the human can equal the dragon born to that point. Now factor in the increased hp% and increased incoming heals% that the dragon born gets on top of that. A tanking pally is gonna be getting hit a lot. Those two boosts improve survivability above the human without sacrificing crit potential. What I said was accurate, the dragon born will statistically be the best prot pally all around.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm kinda bummed out about this, because I've got a healer dragonborn in my head but I really hate the idea of making a choice that's clearly suboptimal.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Everything you just posted means that the human can equal the dragon born to that point. Now factor in the increased hp% and increased incoming heals% that the dragon born gets on top of that. A tanking pally is gonna be getting hit a lot. Those two boosts improve survivability above the human without sacrificing crit potential. What I said was accurate, the dragon born will statistically be the best prot pally all around.

Those are bugged i have MDB and it gives the paladin zero HP boost and zero healing.
    So 16-17 mill waisted VS free race human .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited February 2015
    The hp % increase is only on metallic and is broken and doesn't work, even if it did work, that would mean that you wouldn't have 3% of the crit that was mentioned earlier making the crit far worse. Also remember that pallies have no stat to increase damage or class for arp. They're going to need every help they can to hurt something.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I have been playing the Dwarf race for a long time and I can tell you, the dwarf racial is garbage, it doesn't work in PvP or PvE or PvP. Developers need to work on it and give it some love, hell give us a Stone form that is not passive but active like WOW dwarves have (activated, and we can see it in action.).

On a note, Halfling is best PvP race currently,but, because of the high numbers we are seeing with stats and gear in mod 6, that may change in Human's favor (30% deflect being easier to get now for PvP), not to mention sustained damage in PvP being better than burst (because of the health pools 130k).
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Considering the enormous amounts of HP on gear, I'll probably go with a Dragonborn. The T4 Heroic Constitution feat became a lot less interesting. I'll probably got with a 16 con 14 wis 14 cha roll, and pump those to 16/16/16. 18 con/23wis/23cha at 70. Throw in a Sash of Charisma, for 4 extra Char, plus campfire buff and potions of heroism, you're looking at a good amount of crit from just stats and feats.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.