test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well i did say either or, that they lack either the social skills, or the intelligence and in some cases both. technically speaking, even from 1st ed adnd any race/being could be a playable race or class, it was always strongly recommended against for the most part though usually for fairly obvious reasons like basic unbalance issues(minotaurs were clearly very powerful and even at level 1 were far stronger then other races/classes) they could just make them not powerful to start, but then it wouldnt feel much like a minotaur... i could be wrong though. even still there are a few races id like to see first and i feel would be more interesting then the minotaur, like the Wilden orgenasi... the Genasi could have a really cool campaign for them

3.x dealt with that through the ECL mechanics and suchlike, no idea if these knurd newer editions have something similar. 4th ed seemed to have some flexibility issues in char developement from what I saw. Anyways, at least based off what the Mino adjustements (and stats) were under the former I don't really see how you could make them fit in here. (On another note the FRwiki people need to go look up what "cannibal" actually means...)
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gnome is # 1 on the poll ? We already have the short and ugly covered guys
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    Gnome is # 1 on the poll ? We already have the short and ugly covered guys

Baha they'll soon reverse their decision after seeing how ugly they are. The halfings are mutated enough. I don't even want to imagine how warped a female gnome's face would be like.

Also, half orcs aren't ugly enough. See nothing but barbies with tusks....
  • aesharaaeshara Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wish to see undead :o
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aeshara wrote: »
    I wish to see undead :o

I'd like my DCs to be able to TURN Undead!

:)
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Nay, Aasimar are no more and their role replaced by the Deva in 4th edition. What will happen to the Deva in 5th Edition and whether the Aasimar will return, is unsure. However, there are already a great number of hombrew versions of both celestial races while everyone waits to know about them.

Aw, that is the utterly stupid and pointless thing I hate about every new edition of AD&D. What is the point of a word to describe inhabitants of the Upper Planes (Aasimons and Devas as a type of Celestial and so on) which is consistent for several editions and another word to describe plane-touched mortals of Celestial heritage (Aasimars) and then just flipping them and removing one of them?

But they did not flip Tielflings and remove Infernals, devils or demons? What about Tannar'ri, Baatezu, Yugoloths etc?

~
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I got the impression the 4th ed retcon also committed awful violence towards long-established D&D planar cosmology. Didn't *want* to investigate the matter closely, tbh.
  • jimpman88jimpman88 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Genasi, theyre in the 4th ed Neverwinter book.
    Having played the table top rpg from the Basic set onwards (yes, Im that old :p) all editions have had their problems I dont find 4th all that bad. And they simplified the cosmology, thats all. A lot of us rpg'ers didnt like 3rd ed either btw!
  • nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited December 2014
    Voted for Genasi. It will take fresh air into race design. Combination of Human and Elemental. Just imagine flaming human or crystalline looking Swordmage :)
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Voted for Genasi. It will take fresh air into race design. Combination of Human and Elemental. Just imagine flaming human or crystalline looking Swordmage :)

With the current graphics I don't see designers doing them any justice.
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I voted Minotaur, cause I'd like some more diversity and I think they will be a popular race. I would like also the option for Deva's but I'm not sure how well they'll play. Not a big fan of gnomes, which I've been reading are considered monsters now.

Also in my mind, Githzerai and one of the Saurian races, but after Minotaurs(and/or Deva). Elandrin should be a freebie race already, like any possible human variations(and humans should have paladin). I also think they should start thinking about racial limitation for classes. The Minotaur Trickster Rogue example for instance someone above brought up, that was funny(though you can already have a dragonborn do that which is equally funny in my opinion).
  • grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Githyanki would be pretty awesome, but only 8 other people agree, and I'd be more comfortable seeing them as an enemy in a new zone than anything else to be honest. There's probably already more good than evil drow in Neverwinter Online which is a little odd.
  • s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's hoping that Genasi are coming soon!

Elemental Evil? Come on it's in the name.

It's a perfect addition after Dragonborn.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Genasi
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • swidenbankswidenbank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets hope so they look awesome
  • itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    http://dnd.wizards.com/elemental-evil

confirmed as pc in tabletop rpg, so I would guess so
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Which manifestation? 1 free? 1 from pack? 3 from lockboxes? abyss from where? para-elemental from where? xD

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There are 101 uses for a Gnome on a Rope....
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    picked gnome as it is the only one in the list that i recognize as a playable race (the rest is after my time..) and the inventor thing would be interesting.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    picked gnome as it is the only one in the list that i recognize as a playable race (the rest is after my time..) and the inventor thing would be interesting.

This is a 5th edition Gnome.

gnome_by_conceptopolis-d5rsjk7.jpg

Please dont ask to inflict this upon us :D
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This is a 5th edition Gnome.

Image Snipped!

Please dont ask to inflict this upon us :D

Hahaha! Well I suppose they could hire Tom Clark to handle the model creation. XD
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, looks possible that they will have the Genasi as next race(though I still hope for Minotaur andto some extent Githzerai). I don't like most of the art I've seen for it, but I've Googled it again after the Elemental Evil abbouncement and found some pretty much awesome versions for it(mostly fanmade naturally). Would also make a great orange companion(since they'll increase level cap I'm assuming they will introduce orange companions). Maybe orange companions should be partially augment - partially active helper btw.
  • backslash55backslash55 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only have the PHB for 5ed, and between it and the Sundering novel series, it seems that Wizards are trying very hard to revert to the way thing were before 4ed, lore-wise as well as mechanics wise. With that in mind, wouldn't it make sense for Devas to be changed back to Aasimar, or at least reintroduce the Aasimar as a separate race? I'm curious, for people who have the DMG and MM as well, is there any indication about it one way or the other?
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cyborg.

With laser-beam eyes.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    a want a generic frog to combine with my new paladin.

Frog.jpg
  • gothzilla138gothzilla138 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I voted Other, because I want Half Ogres, I love Half Ogres and miss playing them. It'd be a chance to play my "Rogure" (1/2 ogre rogue). For the races up there defineately Gnomes, glaring lack of Gnomes.

But what I really want is other races to get the subrace attention and love elves get. Too many times I see games with several elf types that are considered distinct enough to have their own entry and then oh yeah you can be a human, dwarf, halfling, or orc if you want to you non-elf scrub! There are many Dwarf loving players who want to know where their variety is (Gold, Shield, Duergar, Derro), Halflings want the option to be Stout, Tallfellow, and Ghostwise. Orcs and Half Orcs know there are Grey Orcs in Forgotten realms, as well as Odonti. Half Orcs might also enjoy Orog and Ogrillon options. Tieflings could become one of the subraces of Planars, after all Devas and possibly Genasi could share their racial quest line (Devil cults are bad for all of us) with altered quest intro dialog. I hope when they do intro Gnomes we can be Forest Gnomes, Rock Gnomes (ooh Rock Gnome Bard with big hair and black leather...ROCK Gnomes!) or Svirfneblin. I want Half Drow to either be a subrace of Half Elves or Drow (the Drow Racial Quest might suit them better is the only reason for that) or at least extend the Half elf color pallets to better allow for the appearance of Half Drow. Humans COULD get subraces, I'm not sure how they'd stat differently, and Humans as they are seem right to me but I'm okay with varients.

Okay that's long enough, my hands hurt and I'm horrible at typing so that's enough, basically Non elves want the love elves have gotten.
    Thank you if you bothered to read all this.
    Slainte.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Illithid. :) Complete with brain scrambling tentacle attacks.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe Devas? it could be a nice addition.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2015
    Call me old-fashioned, but I can't imagine D&D without Gnomes. One of my very first PnP characters was a Gnome. :)
  • jakefearjakefear Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Netherese please.
This discussion has been closed.