What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I dont understand the love for gnomes :P Maybe I played too much Kingdoms of Amalur tho :P
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • Options
    millsc14millsc14 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    voted Deva

don't like gnomes, the genasi is to diverse namely there are atkeast 8 of them, yes atkeast 8, the corrupted ones that were listed on the wotc webpage at some time.

the minotaur well...... I wont go there. but with modukle 6, the deva makes the most sense
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Gnome. Rounds out the races offered in the 5E Player's Handbook. While WotC Elemental Evil will release the Genasi race in print form, it's probably best to get all the basics before moving to more advanced races. Dragonborn are also a 5E PHB race, so Gnome would be the next logical one, but who says anything about logic...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ...while I'd be absolutely enthuse by Githyanki for the looks and feels of them, I absolutely don't believe they could be made playable without handing them the "I win""-button... ...or they'd lose their racial capabilities. So either way around, it'd be not what I'd want - apart from the looks, ofc.

So: "Glory to Garl Glittergold!!!"
  • Options
    burndburnd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lycanthrope with the ability to change to human form
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pan17 wrote: »
    what about ''Worgen'' race ..that huge a wolf like creature that is able to get transformed into a human or a wolf running in four legs ...

Beyond that Worgan are a WoW ip race and could never be in a forgotten realms game.
    In forgotten realms (and most D&D) lycanthropes are an evil affliction/curse, affecting some other race. some exceptions apply, such as were-bears being chaotic good.

In D&D there is a cat-folk race,... that and arrokokra are about all i can think of as far as legitimate anthropomorphics.

about the only chance you have is a shapshifter druid class that can turn into a wolf form, and that's a class, not a race.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The race I wanted, Aasimar are not on the list. :-(
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The race I wanted, Aasimar are not on the list. :-(

Aasimar was 3rd edition. The got rid of that and invented deva for 4th,... Even though Assimar is lore for forgotten realms they went with that lol.
  • Options
    lost2uagainlost2uagain Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    personally, i would like too see a gnoll race.
  • Options
    hochstepanzerhochstepanzer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thesensai wrote: »
    Aasimar was 3rd edition. The got rid of that and invented deva for 4th,... Even though Assimar is lore for forgotten realms they went with that lol.

I get the feeling they might back for 5th eventually in a future book as a playable race, as the Aasimar have always been the traditional counterpart to the tiefling, ever since both were created back in the '90's, with the notable exception of 4th ed, where for some silly reason they were called Devas and got some additional tweaks to their backstory. Devas (in name) prior to 4th were planar beings, what one would call Angels these days. The renaming of the 3rd ed Aasimar to the 4th ed Deva with the additional tweaks was an ill advised attempt to substitute a popular race and that effort fell flat on it's face. I personally am thankful that the Deva name has returned to being a Celestial in 5th, where it belongs.

Tieflings are not full planars, like the Baatezu and Tanar'ri, they are only plane touched, due to having an ancestor that was Baatezu ( in the past it mentioned them having Demon bloodlines meaning Tanar'ri ancestry, but 5th mentions them now having Devilish bloodlines, suggesting the Baatezu) As I said before, the Aasimar were the planetouched counterpart to the tiefling, and as such, should be considered the equal of the tiefling, and thus added. That they've been around for almost 20 years as a PC race and have never been in a game doesn't help the case not to put them in.

I agree, Gnomes should be added, as they have been an integral part of D&D since it was first mass published in 1978. When I first signed into the game for the first time, I was actually shocked when I didn't see gnomes as an option, but immediately saw drow and dragonborn as one. I honestly still do not see how you put two races in the game that came decades after one that has been part of the D&D lore for almost 40 years. So gnomes, yeah that definitely needs to be rectified, post haste.

Half-drow can easily be handled by expanding the custom settings for half elves, there's really no need for them to be a separate race. I'd also like to see the half elves moved to under the elves, as well as the drow also condensed in with the rest of the elves. I do have to point out, that there's really not much difference between the drow and the Menzoberranzan Renegades, so if half-drow should put in despite not being needed, then get rid of the normal drow and keep the renegade, as there is not much difference between the two. Switching all normal drow characters over to renegades for free would be how to accomplish this and wouldn't take much on PWE's part.

The last race that should be in the game before any others, might be a controversial one, and that's Orcs, but there is a reason why I'm including them. Orcs have been able to be used as PC race since 2nd ed. Between the Complete Book of Humanoids, Player's Option:Skills and Powers, Savage Species, and Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume III, Orcs have been a PC race for over 20 years now, it would be about time to make them the PC race they've been for so long. Now, I can already hear the cries " you can't have a PC that is also an enemy race! There are Orcs in the Tower District!" I'd like to point out here that we already have that situation in the game, just look at Drow, Menzoberranzan Renegades and what goes on in Rothe Valley, I'd also like to point out that the tribe in question in the Tower District, the Many-Arrows, also became peaceful after their King, Obould Many-Arrows, signed trade agreements and treaties with the surrounding good races, thus creating the Kingdom of Many Arrows, per the Sellswords trilogy, so they aren't actually that evil to start with.

One last thing here, and that's my feelings on whether these races should be locked once introduced. I honestly don't think any of the 3 should be. Tieflings aren't locked when you start the game, so why should Aasimar be? As I said before, Gnomes are a base race and have been for almost 40 years, it would be silly and short sighted to make them locked to start with. And Orcs? You start the game with half-elves and 3 separate elf sub-races unlocked ( Wood elf, Sun Elf, and Drow) , so locking Orcs up while Half Orcs are not, makes no sense at all with all the elves running around from the start.

My .02 cents

TL;DR The next 3 races brought into the game should be Gnomes, Orcs, and Aasimar, in that order. Those 3 have been waiting a long time to be PC races in a game, and it's about time they got it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Aasimar are in 5th edition D&D. You can find them in the DMG, at the back. They also included a 4e subrace, the Eldarin, as a 5e subrace. :)

LOl well that explains why I didn't know they were back. I don't have the 5th ed DMG yet. :D
  • Options
    theastromachinetheastromachine Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When I first signed into the game for the first time, I was actually shocked when I didn't see gnomes as an option, but immediately saw drow and dragonborn as one.

I too was surprised by this. No Gnomes but at least 4 kinds of Elves? WTF?!?
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Princes of the Apocalypse which releases April 7th, brings these races to 5e.

Aarakocra
    Deep Gnomes
    Genasi
    Goliath

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf

I have a feeling we will get one of these in mod 7.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    would like to see the Forgotten realms race Feyri. A racial mix of 3/4 sun elf, 1/4 succubus. (think sun elf with bat wings and other demonic features). for source check the races in 'Races of faerun'

They have a lot of lore in FR and would be a supurb player race
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Double post
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    stah01 wrote: »
    Princes of the Apocalypse which releases April 7th, brings these races to 5e.

Aarakocra
    Deep Gnomes
    Genasi
    Goliath

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf

I have a feeling we will get one of these in mod 7.

Which is a shame, because 3 of 4 haven't been PC races for very long. I'd be ok with the Deep Gnomes, but we really should get bog standard Rock Gnomes first before we get the Svirfneblin.

That being said, I'd also be ok with Duergar coming in after the 3 races I named previously, or at the very least the options for dwarves themselves be expanded a bit to include the duergar skin hues. As it stands right now, it's actually impossible to make one in game that looks like the ones we have as companions.

Personally, I'd like to see the race selection screen reorganized like this:

Orcs
    Orcs
    Half Orcs

Humans

Elves
    Wood Elves
    Moon Elves
    Sun Elves
    Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow
    Half Elves (including Half Drow)

Gnomes
    Rock Gnomes
    Svirfneblin

Aasimar

Dwarves
    Dwarves
    Duergar

Halflings

Tieflings

Dragonborn
    Metallic
    Chromatic

Same number of spots for races on the page as we have now, but many more races and options than we have now. :)
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stuff

I agree. I would love to see Duergar or regular gnomes (of the rock type) But I am still leaning towards the Genasi since they are elemental.

And to be honest.. my top choice would be Githyanki/Githzerai. Probably not currently thematic but would be cool. Or them to just make the Drow racial bonus better.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    sekektzsekektz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Saurial's!

Never seen them as a playable class before :)
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    03585d404775324.jpg f18522404775325.jpg 570718404775327.jpg 38ea75404775330.jpg
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    eaff7d404775331.jpg
  • Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would like to see Gnome Race, I'll definitely buy a race token for this if it gonna be release.
    Like the old Gnome on sharandar near cave.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • Options
    lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Kender!!!!!!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As there appears to be a lack of a Suggestions forum that I can see, well I want the Shifter race, and looking that we are done with 4e PHB1, I figure we are moving onto to PHB2. I don't see the warlord being created because the basic concept of warlord, since most seem to want things like druids, monks and sorcerers. And I know gnomes are big on the race list but I want Shifters, so here is my suggestions on their Neverwinter set up;
    1996128-shifters.jpg

Racial Traits

+2 Wisdom
    +2 Strength or +2 Dexterity

Shifting: As a shifter when you enter combat your body shifts gaining 1% of your max HP as temp hit points. This effect ends once you leave combat.
    Endurance: Shifters have heartier endurance and can rebuild stamina 2% faster.

Character Creation

Height: 5'7" to 6'0" (170 to 183 cm)

The thing that always has to come about is the unique stuff that would have to be decided upon for character creation. Their facial features will look more animalistic with protruding canines, snout like noses and of course the ears will be changeable to match a type, such as wolves, tigers and so forth for the various lycanthrope types out there.

Hands and feet will have toes and as an added bonus the option of a tail, with various styles of wolf, tiger, lion and so forth able to be chosen. 4th edition shifters were only longtooth or razorclaw (wolf and tiger) respectively so the choice should probably be between wolf and tiger or no tail at all. The tail should hang down, like Teiflings, not poke out like they do on Champs characters.

The final bit I would probably ask for is that shifter outfits would be more tailored to them i.e. exposed claws on fingers and toes, but doubt that will happen, so would then have to ask for maybe special shifter style outfits that take that into account, such as the ones in the picture above

Finally, hair styles should just be what normally can be picked with a few extras like in the picture shown above.

Homeland

I think it would be pretty obvious that in the close region that Longtooth shifters would be from Vellosk area and a part of the Gray Wolf, easily, though there are other colonies of Shifters sucha s near the Werewoods by Baldur's Gate. But like anything else in this game, location is really a formality.

Anyways, my basic suggestions for shifters.
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    honestly i would pay so much if they made this class. my first thought would be "here take my money"
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Furries.
    >_>
    <_<
    ...ahem.

But more practically even at a cursory glance the suggested Shifting feature is kinda BS - you *do* remember there are Feats that are triggered specifically by Temp HP, right?
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just to point out that Shifters are a RACE, not a class.

And yes, I was among those who wanted the Shifters as a playable race, and still want it.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    Furries.
    >_>
    <_<
    ...ahem.

But more practically even at a cursory glance the suggested Shifting feature is kinda BS - you *do* remember there are Feats that are triggered specifically by Temp HP, right?

And there are feats triggered by critical hits, and feats triggered by damage. I don't exactly see people whining about those races that get perks for that now. I am going by exactly what the Shifter race bonuses are, they actually had more. I also like how people are saying this is a class suggestion. Tells me how many people have actually picked up a DnD book in their time :p
This discussion has been closed.