test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• wolfzzzzwolfzzzz Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I sure hope they release several dungeons rather than just the usual one per module. If not there might not be much to do at 70 but sit around PE and look at each other.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wolfzzzz wrote: »
    Hmm I don't play STO but I've heard alot of complaining about their level cap increase. I've heard that gaining the levels is super grind-y and boring, and that the new ships are a debacle
    Perhaps those who play STO could shed some light on this.
    The ships are like our artifacts, (note I don't have a max level in sto I only mess around their) which they didn't really have the same way before. Lots of grind or pay. I've heard people say the same about leveling, but I find most leveling in cryptic games too fast and think a 90% xp gain reduction is needed across all levels. So I'm not likely to share those opinions.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hmm I don't play STO but I've heard alot of complaining about their level cap increase. I've heard that gaining the levels is super grind-y and boring, and that the new ships are a debacle
    Perhaps those who play STO could shed some light on this.

sto was super casual friendly and u could play everything with pug teams who do some 8k dps but after they rised lvl cap u need 35k+ dps team and tholian reclause with his specific pets updated to elite to can play and finish elite instances or u will fail
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    I'm actually excited for the cap raise. If they do it like STO, it means that the new epic dungeons will be much harder and require teamwork.

Call me pessimistic after what they did with Tiamat. A full storyline and a new class + level cap increase, balancing is a bunch of work as well, I'm not even sure we'll see more than one DD and Skirmish for level 70 in Mod 6.
  • slaaneshihorrorslaaneshihorror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
    edited January 2015
    Let's keep the discussion on track people. This thread isn't about STO. It's about Neverwinter. I'd rather not derail the thread and get it closed down.
    Greycloaks Bank Manager - Malanael Corventus.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    well i do hope new gear is not better than current artifact gear or its gona be power creep all over again. New sets sure but dont make new weapons, necks and belts better coz they are already pretty op.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nothing said about Strongholds, I'm looking forward to that.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cyberiadav wrote: »
    Nice to have Paladins? Rly? Adding this class is extremely not fair vs GFs. New warrior with shield tanking and healing? Seriously? There already is a warrior with shield - Paladin should be just a new paragon path for GF. Period. But of course other classes would demand 3 paragon too so it is just way cheaper just add completely new class...

Let's not jump to conclusions until we at least see the class on preview.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• deceondarkbladedeceondarkblade Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I sure hope they release several dungeons rather than just the usual one per module. If not there might not be much to do at 70 but sit around PE and look at each other.

You can always go to the Tiamat fight and complain about people who only have a 21k GS
    edited January 2015
    So STO forced every player to get brand new, starter level ships and level them to cap again when they raised the existing level cap?

Sort of, I'm not the best for this as I only mess around there, but my understanding is the previous best ships were t5, you can either upgrade to a t5.5 essentially (not sure on method) or get a new t6 which is a tiny bit better but not hugely.
  • rarefactionrarefaction Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm all for a new mod, and don't want this to come off as another threat built on complaints. But this new mod is more concerning to me, with what little we've been told, than it is exciting. Both the new class and the level cap are more ominous than inspiring. The release of Paladins does not bode well for Guardian Fighters. The usefulness of a Guardian Fighter in PvE was already fairly questionable. They had no real purpose in a dungeon as is. A glorified Guardian Fighter with healing capabilities looks to effectively nullify any use a GF had in PvE, and possibly PvP. I do hope that the release of Paladins means Guardian Fighters will come with yet another rework to give them proper use once again.

As for the level cap, my immediate and initial concern is artifact gear. I've never before played an MMO that increased the level cap 6 modules in. Maybe I was alone in this, but I was pretty set in the belief that NW just had no interest in raising the cap. Artifact gear was not a bother to me. I raised my main toon to full legendary status because I saw them releasing different artifact gear types instead of the same ones over and over, thus causing mass frustration for anyone who already leveled said gear type. With the level cap raised, will this mean currently existing artifact gear becomes obsolete?

This would not be nearly as burdensome if modules were not released so quickly, one after the other. Expansions in this game are released far too closely to each other. And that worked fine for a game that kept it's level cap stagnant. An unchanging level cap meant they could do so as often as they wanted. But a level cap change in a game that has new content every couple months, coupled with how artifact gear works and what it takes to level it, mean this could cause a lot of people who've worked hard on artifact gear to just leave. There'd be no point in even trying to legendary on any artifact gear if we knew there was a chance in a couple months said gear would become second best.

I do hope the developers take this into consideration. New classes have already, in the past, caused previous classes to become largely obsolete. Temptation SWs heavily replaced DCs for an entire module before Temptation was nerfed and DCs got a rework. I hope that won't be the case, and forethought will be put into the changes this time. I also hope the level cap vs artifact gear point will be further thought about. This game's structure and content release schedule was pretty firmly built on a no level cap increase foundation. I hope artifact gear at least gets a rework, so it levels with you at legendary instead of having to be released. Because if it's the latter, I can't say for certain many people will want to continue playing. The game just changes too fast and too often to bother with gear like that if it doesn't get reworked.

About the artifact weapons becoming obsolete. What they could do instead is keep the weapons functioning and you can train your weapons up to lvl 70 standards.

Make lvl 70 dungeons that drop nice refinement stones that you can't already get from dragon hoard enchants. BOE. Perhaps new armor sets.

Make sure you cannot even start leveling up past 60 until you get 10 maybe even 13 boons. The way it is right now is horrible on new players. While I'm not a new player, the guild I was running had plenty of new players. I decided to take the new player challenge to see the frustrations they must be facing and OMG....it's just downright awful. If this level cap is done to not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the players that have stuck it through and set a good pace for fresh 60's it could work out well.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dheffernan wrote: »
    Raising the level cap has solved precisely zero problems in the history of MMOs.

Still, will be nice to have Paladins.

actually that solves a lot of problems caused by gear accumulation

hopefully new gear will be better than legendary artifacts cleaning exploited ad and botted RP out of the system

it will also reduce difference between fresh max lvl ppl and bis, now bis ppl have 3x gear of new lvl 60, it might get closer
    Paladin Master Race
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know everyone is eager for any morsel of module 6 info, so here's a preview of what you'll be spending your gold on:
    Icon_Inventory_Injury_Substantial.pngInventory_Consumables_Potion_T8_Red.png

Substantial Injury Kits and Potions of Something Healing

Marvelous!
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • swidenbankswidenbank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As I am only just coming to the end of raising my artefacts to legendary I am also very worried that they would become useless instantly and like you said I would find it very hard to get interested to do it again.
    edited January 2015
    You always go to the Tiamat fight and complain about people who only have a 21k GS
    What?
    /10char
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Funny, last night I was chatting in the Legit channel and I called a level cap increase to help "fix" the current problems in the game. New level cap would pretty much mean a clean slate for them to work with, but it would need to be done right. I had a good feeling this was on the horizon, no one would believe me.

Was hoping to see the druid though.. paladin, meh. I know others were wanting a paladin class.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Let's keep the discussion on track people. This thread isn't about STO. It's about Neverwinter. I'd rather not derail the thread and get it closed down.

History of the two games since they share a lot, does mean that it is theoretically related to what they each might do.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What?
    /10char

I think he meant:
    "You CAN always go to the Tiamat fight and complain about people who only have a 21k GS"
    and meant it sarcastically, as people with 20k GS do the same now to those with 10-12k GS
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I learned my lesson with making judgment before the release comes out. I was SOOO against the DC changes before the last mod, and now I love them.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    new feets = more blind buffs.

whereas new blind buffs are being drawn up, there will be no time to "Order in the house" (that is, fix the old blind buffs/ do solid changes), so ...

is the end of the line in terms of "balance".

I hope, therefore, is not to have to be part of a party to do my things.
  • free2payfree2pay Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Paladin looks like what the Cleric should have been in the first place. A healer in heavy armor with shield and mace.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Does STO have a large foundation on artifact gear that takes millions of their currency to upgrade? Because if not, the point you're making is fairly moot in the grand scheme of what I'm talking about.

they spend a ton of ad and had a bis stuff for some time, new content - new and better stuff, its mmorpg ffs
    Paladin Master Race
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    actually that solves a lot of problems caused by gear accumulation

This.

For example current player is 26k GS at level 60. Another player is at 15k GS. Well the person playing the 26K can go a few levels without having to change out gear. The person with lower GS will get "leveling gear" which will bring their score up, so at say level 64, they would have caught up to the 26k. Then it will continue to balance out to level 70.

They just need to do it right, I know enchants are out there which will still increase the GS gap but it shouldn't be overly significant at level 70. Everyone would start with the new tier set since T2 will be obsolete stat wise. No one in the right mind at level 70 would wear old 60 BiS gear.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I seriously doubt that all the current legendary artifacts will be obsolete. They will probably let us upgrade them for more RP/Zen

What I am really interested in is if they will change the refining process or introduce more ways to get RP.
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    like all the posts or everythin we typed on forum was only for the sake of makin traffic for the page. we weren't listened, no one responded, and even if they responded they didnt cared after all. sounds like my dad. LOL
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2015/01/20/dungeons-dragons-returns-to-the-temple-of-elemental-evil/

http://dnd.wizards.com/elemental-evil

Just a note, since the mmo follows the tabletop in many ways. We might be getting elemental spells and possibly the Genasi Race release (if so expect another pay race pack).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Genasi

Info about the original module (the new release will be slightly different)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil
    GShBCGl.jpg
    edited January 2015
    warpet wrote: »
    sto was super casual friendly and u could play everything with pug teams who do some 8k dps but after they rised lvl cap u need 35k+ dps team and tholian reclause with his specific pets updated to elite to can play and finish elite instances or u will fail
    While I am all for having more challenging content, it seems like the sort of thing you describe here would demolish NWO's largely casual playerbase.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You only remain the Top Dog for a short period of time. I am anxious to how the changes play out. I hope the Paladin isn't a cut/paste copy of the DC and GF combined. I'd rather they make it a paragon path of the GF but I guess it's better "press" for a new class. Buy up your relics now :)
    I aim to misbehave
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I'll read through the rest of the pages later, but if they are doing a Temple of Elemental Evil adaptation, do you guys think there may be any chance this will echo the old-fashioned D&D games a little closer than they've been doing? I would really like to see some dungeons that actually require party cooperation, and give challenges that highlight the different classes a bit better than everyone zerg-rushing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Paladin makes sense from a gear standpoint.

We already have 3 classes wearing leather, 2 classes wearing mail, and 1 each wearing cloth or plate. The next class should wear cloth or plate - and since cloth-wearers are usually casters, and the last class released was a caster, that leaves plate.

I will definitely level a paladin; my preference is for healing/buffing classes, and the paladin will complement my DC and templock.
This discussion has been closed.