test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Battle with Tiamat - Moving Forward

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Update 12/16/14:

Neverwinter Community,

Last week we posted an update to a few issues players were experiencing with the Tiamat fight. While we did make some improvements to the fight, turning it into a queued instance did not have the desired effects we wanted it to and the current method of entry will remain as it is.

After close examination and many playtests, we’ve found that a queue feature (similar to the one we initially outlined) could jeopardize a few of the positive aspects of the battle with Tiamat. It would have also been very vulnerable to griefing, potentially causing players to miss out on the fight entirely. Because of this, a decision has been made to not move to a queue system. The entrance to the fight will remain the same.

We will continue to work on performance improvements and updating the environment to help with forming groups. We also have a potential fix for the bug where Tiamat's heads won’t rise and no rewards drop. We will update everyone on these changes once we are ready to implement them in the game.

As always we appreciate all the feedback we have received regarding the battle with Tiamat and encourage everyone to continue to leave feedback to help us bring the best experience to our players.

Thank you for your time,
Neverwinter Community Team

Original post follows, with certain sections removed:

We’ve received a lot of great and insightful feedback regarding the battle with Tiamat from you guys and we wanted share with you all how we plan to implement some of it in the coming weeks.

We are still investigating the issue where the battle gets stuck during the Defend the Clerics phase. We are also looking into the issue of players not getting rewards upon completion of the Tiamat event.

We realize that performance issues such as lag and low FPS rates have been among some of the top-reported issues with this module and we are working to make things run as smoothly as possible. We have also identified some things on the back-end, such as texture mip levels and texture budgets, that should reduce the chance of performance issues. We plan to introduce these in the coming weeks.

Here are a few things you can do right now to reduce the chance of performance issues:

Adjust your texture mip levels with /reduce_mip 1:
Type this in the chat bar to reduce your texture mip level used by all textures that are drawn. In some cases, this can make the characters and environment in your game a little blurrier. To return your game to its previous state, type: /reduce_mip 0

Adjust the character detail via the options menu:
Another thing you can do to is to reduce the graphical detail on characters. To do this, go to Options>Advanced>Character Detail and lower it to 50%. This works in a similar way to /reduce_mip 1,
but does not affect environment or FX visual quality.

We are doing all we can to improve this encounter as much as possible. We thank you guys for your feedback, patience, and support.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Any way to actually allow 2 or more coordinated groups to enter the same instance? 5 people is enough to secure a victory, but it would be nice to secure 2 or more.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vvv459 wrote: »
    Any way to actually allow 2 or more coordinated groups to enter the same instance? 5 people is enough to secure a victory, but it would be nice to secure 2 or more.

We will continue to monitor this situation closely, but we will be moving forward with the system that's described above.
  • Options
    critorisauruscritorisaurus Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can you fix Astral Shield's performance issues? Every time a DC drops it in Tiamat fight everyone lags like crazy.
  • Options
    shiikuushiikuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited December 2014
    akromatik wrote: »

We are still investigating the issue where the battle gets stuck during the Defend the Clerics phase.

whats about dragon heads that stay down and cant be targeted
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vvv459 wrote: »
    Any way to actually allow 2 or more coordinated groups to enter the same instance?

That was my first thought as well. Currently with co-ordinated entry and we can get more than 5 players into an instance. Can we do that with a queue system? If not, what's described above is arguably a retrograde step. Good for some worse for others. We'll see.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This queue system is progress and has been brought up on preview. I'm pleased you follow our advise although this should have been done for launch.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    We are still investigating the issue where the battle gets stuck during the Defend the Clerics phase. We are also looking into the issue of players not getting rewards upon completion of the Tiamat event.

Another thing: sometimes the Red head gets stuck and it just won't come up for the players to strike it. I don't know if that happens to the other heads, since I only saw the Red one having that behavior.

Great news though, thanks for listening to our feedback.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It is a 25 man raid, if you get 25 people together, you should be able to take your group in. That is how 25 man raids work. It is not fun getting pugs with the minimum GS who run in early and bug it out. Granted, everyone has to learn some day, it is frustrating when you have 25 people on TS and can't get more than 10 in the same dragon instance.

Dragon heads do not come up - that has happened more than bugged clerics for me. But that is a close issue. The fact that wasn't mentioned is a pretty odd. But I hope that is on the list. I really really wish you could figure out how to get more than 5 people. Now it will be like GG where you get 4 groups queing together, and saying pop... pop... pop... no pop... Okaay decline. Except we only have 4 minutes to do it and not 20 lol.

But I guess it is progress.
  • Options
    vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    3 known bugs:

1) Some instances are bugged and will give no rewards. This is because some instances are left over from the previous fight.
    2) Sometimes the cleric phase doesn't end properly, making progress impossible. Hypothesized to be because people leave them too early.
    3) On rarer occasions, one of the heads gets stuck in ascending, making completion impossible. Possibly due to an early attack of some kind.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nice progress. I can understand that without a full raid function in the game (as it has never been needed before), you guys probably did the best you could. Grouping with at least 5 people you know is a good start.

Perhaps simply forcing people into instances based on group status would be possible? Grouped parties sent to the same instance and solo folks sent to another (so all the premade grouped folks are with other premade grouped folks)?

Honestly, with the 2 currently used tactics for the event, unless its bugged, its pretty easy. Being able to premake groups for it would be nice, but it will be REALLY easy then. I can see the difficulty being raised.

Now, about the requirements for the reclaimation project.....
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It would seem that the inability to queue a full 25-char raid is a technical limitation at this point and not a preference by the devs. At least guilds/friends are now able to sync queue times just like GG to get in.

Here come the one(phase)-shots!
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah I am A OK with that. It is a minor frustration, the current random who got in where is beyond frustrating.
  • Options
    asthazarfasthazarf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ok, I was instructed to turn to this thread, so here it is:

If we can't enter with pre-made parties due to technical difficulties, at least lock the players in their instances. Once I re-log after a disconnect, I end up in a different instance, which is, in 100% of the cases so far, either abandoned or bugged (heads not spawning) - most of the time abandoned, therefor useless.

Please set it up in a way which keeps your spot "reserved" on a sudden disconnect, so that we may return and continue what we began.

(edit: removed caps)
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you guys probably did the best you could

If their best is to get all of this feedback on preview. Delay the raid after launch and still have all of these issues then I'd be worried if they did the best they could as that clearly isn't enough. Thanks for communicating to us, it's good not to be in the dark, but I'm just being honest here.

It's a shame there's no fix for tomorrow form the looks of things. You do also bring a valid point on the hoard reclamation that I hope they pay attention to since.
    1) It's too hard to progress as a server, requirements need to be lowered a lot.
    2) Dragon empire treasures don't give enough points. Also imo the regular HEs should give more dragon coins.
    3) After completing "prevent tiamat's return". I can confirm it's useless. An additional quest would have been nice whether its a weekly for 1 linus favor or something. Zen keys are a fair enough alternative and the treasure's... 8 days for a favor 37.5 days (at a rate of 1 treasure per day) needed to pay itself off. I would have preferred to take 1/3 of the time less to get my item I wanted instead.

Also buying some form of rp from the favor shop would be nice. Although personally I'm kind of half hoping rp supply runs out so that I can sell mine for closer to the bazaar/zen store cap. The boe rp item at the end of the raid was a small step in the right direction to reward actual players.

Also still concerned about the 6th and 7th boons aka boon 5.25 and 5.5 aren't worth it if you ignore the extremely high linus cost (640 victories to get all 8 of my toons booned up if we ignore all of the other linus items I'd want. The last boon in particular is something I recommend 90% of the population don't bother with at the minimum.

Anyway, they need to focus on fixing the bugs first.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Should of been like this from the start, however now that we know the work around for the current system only being able to queue in with 5 is a downgrade.

Right now you can coordinate enter times and get 10-15 ppl in to the same instance out of a pool of 15-20. That's pretty good and enough to ensure easy victory.

Also right now we can swap instances after a victory and help another instance that is short on players finish. This was probably not intended i'm sure but the chance at 2x linu favors per hour is very nice. If we switch to a queue system then we lose this.

TLDR:
    Either let 25 people queue together into the same instance or leave things be. If you do allow 25 ppl to queue together perhaps bump the difficulty up a notch. The demons are fine at lvl 65 but perhaps a bit more hp on the dragon heads.
  • Options
    asthazarfasthazarf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Also still concerned about the 6th and 7th boons aka boon 5.25 and 5.5 aren't worth it if you ignore the extremely high linus cost (640 victories to get all 8 of my toons booned up if we ignore all of the other linus items I'd want. The last boon in particular is something I recommend 90% of the population don't bother with at the minimum.

Anyway, they need to focus on fixing the bugs first.

Regarding that, is it true that once your 5th boon is picked, 6th and 7th are no longer options? I'd have loved to go with 1/3 on 3 of the 4 available options.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    asthazarf wrote: »
    Regarding that, is it true that once your 5th boon is picked, 6th and 7th are no longer options? I'd have loved to go with 1/3 on 3 of the 4 available options.

Others seem to say so, though not completely convinced. Either way would be silly design. It'd be partially redeemable to pick something else, but as you progress, the rewards should be better, not worse or already have your first pick taken...
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not sure where to put this, so I will put it here:

Bug report: The Breath Weapon for the Blue Dragon head is not showing a red circle before it activates. Every other breath weapon gives warning as to it's impending activation (as does every other big attack in the game), but the lightning breath causes an inordinate number of player deaths due to the lack of warning.

I have been told that at higher graphics settings the blue circle does appear, but many people are running with reduced graphics in the Tiamat encounter to help combat the lag, which is leading to problems with the lightning.
  • Options
    fedurfedur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Make 25man Raid Groups, so leader can queue all to one instance. All normal mmo with raid have that.
    And change the requrements for tiers in reclamation. In last 2 days max was 14%....
    25.2k GWF Sentinel Half-Orc Fedur.@fedur
    1zupe.png
  • Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After examining the options available to us, we have decided to convert the fight into a queued instance. Players will be able queue in groups of 5 or less and be placed into the Tiamat Temple map. The Tiamat queue is a 25 person queue and only players in the Well of Dragons zone will be able to queue for Tiamat’s Temple.
    Will the queue be available only for 5 minutes each hour, or we would be able to queue whenever we want?
    This can be an issue if the waiting time will be long (ie GG queue).
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    asthazarf wrote: »
    Ok, I was instructed to turn to this thread, so here it is:

If we can't enter with pre-made parties due to technical difficulties, at least lock the players in their instances. Once I re-log after a disconnect, I end up in a different instance, which is, in 100% of the cases so far, either abandoned or bugged (heads not spawning) - most of the time abandoned, therefor useless.

Please set it up in a way which keeps your spot "reserved" on a sudden disconnect, so that we may return and continue what we began.

(edit: removed caps)

Yeah, i had a momentary power outage at my house. When I turned my computer back on, started Neverwinter and logged back in, I ended up in a different instance. I tried to transfer after 2 minutes, but that instance was now full. My new instance of course failed. Since I was still in the party, I pm'd a guy and of course my old instance was successful.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    Will the queue be available only for 5 minutes each hour, or we would be able to queue whenever we want?
    This can be an issue if the waiting time will be long (ie GG queue).

The queue will accessible for the entire duration of the Tiamat event and only during the Tiamat event. If you and/or your group join later in the event, it's possible that you will join in the middle of a fight and will have less time to defeat Tiamat.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't need help with client performance. I need help with 2-4k ping for reasons I can't identify. I know its not totally a my end thing because some instances are just fine and I get the normal level of lag. No idea if its player powers or somethin wrong with some instances but its seriously feels like the server getting ddosed
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Adjust your texture mip levels with /reduce_mip 1:
    Type this in the chat bar to reduce your texture mip level used by all textures that are drawn. In some cases, this can make the characters and environment in your game a little blurrier. To return your game to its previous state, type: /reduce_mip 0

i cant really check cause /showfps doesnt work, but it seems to be much better on HD 6870 @ 1280x1024 and max settings, latest drivers, or close to that. reinstalled pc recently, had tried reducing to settings min but it didnt help much

now if u fixed GWF and RP .... :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't need help with client performance. I need help with 2-4k ping for reasons I can't identify. I know its not totally a my end thing because some instances are just fine and I get the normal level of lag. No idea if its player powers or somethin wrong with some instances but its seriously feels like the server getting ddosed

couldnt be that somebody on your network is sitting on torrents or smth

there should be an address somewhere where you can /ping to check during these lags + try pingtest.net to test connection to someplace near cryptic servers
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Should of been like this from the start, however now that we know the work around for the current system only being able to queue in with 5 is a downgrade.

Right now you can coordinate enter times and get 10-15 ppl in to the same instance out of a pool of 15-20. That's pretty good and enough to ensure easy victory.

Exactly, you've cut the 24 random team members down to 20 random team members. Not sure this will actually help, but at least I can play with my 4 of my friends now. I'm pretty sure it's no easy task to code up a new 25 person queuing system, which is why we don't have one yet, but at least admit/accept that you're ultimate goal is have one.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    fedur wrote: »
    Make 25man Raid Groups, so leader can queue all to one instance. All normal mmo with raid have that.
    And change the requrements for tiers in reclamation. In last 2 days max was 14%....

The could also make it sp thd purple waiting for party aura comes up at tiamats dootr when a party leader clicks it.
    Then it waits for four more party leaders to step in the circle before starting map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    vaulwynvaulwyn Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Communication: -

Could we please Implement some form of event wind verbal communication.

option #1 - each group leader is given access to a instance wide voice channel.
    option #2 - each group leader is added to a voice channel for only group leader

both of these would be overlapping channels.
    GF - Sigh
  • Options
    shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The queue will accessible for the entire duration of the Tiamat event and only during the Tiamat event. If you and/or your group join later in the event, it's possible that you will join in the middle of a fight and will have less time to defeat Tiamat.

This concerns me a little because of the long wait I've experienced at times in queues for other instances. People who are trying to get their off-hands and trying to go into the temple every hour, may find themselves in worse shape than before. Getting in later in the timed instance with less time because the queue was slow seems to be quite a penalty.
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah