test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Trickster Rogue Changes

Comments

• kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You admitted yourself in the "How to fight HRs" thread that Sab is simply more powerful than Scoundrel.

I didn't say "Sab is simply more powerful than Scoundrel". I said, "the HR's biggest enemy is the Wk/Sab".

Why shouldn't all of the paragons be equally powerful, just in their different respective areas?

Er.. they already are.

The big disbalance with the paragons is:
    Executioner is damage with a side of stealth
    Sab is perma stealth with a side of extra damage
    Scoundrel is just dazes

The dazes itself are a source of damage -- 50% damage buff with Skull Cracker and Low Blows. Not to mention the CC itself it one of the most powerful tools in game. I think I've more than proved to a lot of people time after time how "just dazes" can be used with deadly efficiency.

Why don't Scoundrels get a "with a side of _____"?

Because we don't need it? I think.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • jessieflorajessieflora Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    naicalus wrote: »

The changes still aren't fun. I already wrote a small novel on this.

Nothing in these changes has convinced me yet to not just gear up my HR instead. I play my TR on live and I have fun with him, and then I just get depressed and go back to my CW or HR because that playstyle I like is going away.

We haven't gained nearly enough in PvE to justify this mess or the stealth nerf.

No, I don't care about PvP, or PvP balance. I will indeed keep harping on PvE. It's what I play. It's what I enjoy. It's what keeps getting put under a bus in the name of PvP. I'm tired.

Thank you for posting about PvE. I too am tired of PvP issues ruining PvE TR play. And when I get depressed I play my CW and try to enjoy it. ( I didn't realise just how badly PvP considerations had ruined TR PvE play until I levelled a CW; the difference is ridiculous). I'm also giving SW a try because it seems the PvP bus is out of control. I'm not so concerned about the changes to stealth per se but I am concerned that the trade-off is not fair - not enough was given to replace it. I think survivability is the concern.
  • yourbutt2048yourbutt2048 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think some of the paragon path special tree features need some changes and place changing

Whisperknife
    - Distracting Knife should be in Executioner tree since its damage
    - Seething Knives should be in Saboteur tree since its mainly a stealth refill type
    - Determined Pursuit should be in Scoundrel since its a control type

MI
    - Sabo and Exe feats are fine, I think Press the Advantage should be changed though. 10% power is not even a 5% damage increase with 5k power. Its also the control and deflect tree. I would change it to "Impossible to Catch now deflects with x% more severity" or just more deflection severity.
  • shadowbunsliceshadowbunslice Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Scoundrel is not juat extra dazes, its dazes every 5 seconda which last least 2.5 seconds and give you 30 per cent more damage.
    Its the path with the high deflect and good amount of lifesteal and the only Path where duelist flurry is still a viable choice.
    More over is the only tr that can effectively kill a hr

The new tr is so well developed that every trees seems a sub class
    Again devs:

Bug: shadow of demise is being resisted and stacking.
    Shocking execution is being resisted and dodged.
    I m ok with shocking being resisted and dodged but it needs a little higher damage buff or just fox the tooltip to states that now it does not ignore defences anymore.

I like the idea of a SE that can be dodged and does resistible damage too, but it should be a lot of resistible damage, IMO that's what SE should have been in the first place. In this case tank classes don't get confetti-ed by damage they have no way to avoid, and softer classes have the opportunity to dodge. Killing someone through a CC daily combo is completely fine, and TR is NOT the only class that can one-rotate people doing so. If your going to say that a CC blood bath combo is OP, this you also need to say hateful knifes needs to be nerfed too. Becuase you can set up HK combos that do just as much damage and much more, and are just as unavoidable as daze/BB. Like HK -> Lashing blade -> Dazing strike -> COS barrage. If the HK hits, which, it's kinda hard to avoid a 80ft range prone from stealth, then the lashing, dazing, COS dmg is guaranteed, and much of it cannot be deflected or broken out of with a CC break, unlike daze/BB.
    You need to rate Daily powers on their FULL effects rather than just their damage. GWF/GF indomitable strength prones as well as does damage and has a very fast activation but is melee range. Ice knife prones and adds chill stacks in addition to range. DC flame strike has very tricky targeted, but prones, fast activation, and range as well(target lock helps a lot). HR Disruptive shot is useable from less than full AP and is a fast activation ranged CC.
    SE and blood bath have medium range and have no CC effects. SE is slow activation, BB is multi-hit over a few seconds, which gives people a chance to soak up it's damage if they are not CCed or break CC. BB has immunity frames true, but the situations where you are making use of those immunity frames are not when your dealing solid damage with it. For example, if you are facing multiple opponents or your encounters and stealth are depleted, that's when you could use a immunity frame, and BB won't do sht for damage without stealth. A daily without considerations like fast activation, range, CC effects, should deal great damage. IMO the immunity frames of BB are much more useful if you are using it in PVE, or out of stealth in PVP, rather than it being a crucial benefit to the daily when actually trying to deal damage with it.

Shadowy Opportunity procing on every hit of Blood bath deals too much un-mitagatable damage and should really only proc once or twice during this daily.
    Shocking execution either needs to have base damage equal to M4 and deal unresistable damage, or it needs to deal FAR more damage than is currently on preview and be resistible and dodge-able. I would much prefer the latter as it would be an improvement in PVE.
    Shadow of demise is key to balancing the Exe feat path. We have seen it go from over-powered and rife with exploits to completely underwhelming, and back again. If SOD only procs on encounters, has an unlimited target cap, and has a 8-10 second cool-down I feel that it would put the Exe path on the same level as Sab/Scoundrel and stamp out any exploitable damage.
    Scoundrel damage is a bit lower than Exe/Sab and the CC boost is primarily useful in terms of single target and PVP. The life-steal/deflect feats need to be boosted to put this path on the right track.
    Dex is still an underwhelming stat and un-worthy to be a rogue's primary attribute. At it's current level it is just good enough for me to not re-roll my base stats but avoid putting any more points into it than I have to. It's not that dex gives too little benefits, it's that dex gives benefits that most rogues are not going to find very functional/useful in actual gameplay.
    On Dis-heartening strike, I would not say that this at-will is too powerful per se. It certainly is not over-powered in PVE or in PVP against targets with high DR and regeneration. However, in certain situations in PVP it can rack up a lot of damage on a soft target with very little risk to the rogue, and very little change for his target to avoid that damage. DHS should not receive a straight up nerf, however, it needs to be adjusted in terms of risk vs raw damage vs a soft target while maintaining it's useability in PVE and against tougher classes.
    On the PVE/PVP side of things, PVE is looking good with some adjustments and some room for slight improvement. PVP in general is looking good as well with a few glaring issues that sticky out like a sore thumb. I really don't mind for the rogue class to be on the weak side in PVP, it's fun playing the underdog. I am looking forward to having a presence in PVE for a change as a rogue to the extent that words cannot express. If balancing needs to happen in PVP I'm all for that but please don't leave us neglected in PVE as we have been since Mod 1. If there needs to be a PVE/PVP separation of abilities I'm all for that too.
    Thank you devs for your hard work and patience, really excited for M5, keep up the good work!
  • jumboyetjumboyet Member Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Why would they make such drastic and gamebreaking changes 3 (!!!) days before mod5 release?? And within those 3 days, we dont hear a word from the Devs..
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would probably be concerned with picking the executioner path as we realize it needs to be adjusted and may be overdone when it is, but then again how long has the SW 1 million damage in a second melt everything in the room bug been around. I am going to go scoundrel and probably a WK too, I am a little worried that in PvE I will have much less control than a CW and deal about half their damage with maybe the same survivability or less and quite a bit more limited -- but the path is too fun to pass up.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh dear, that executioner capstone seems... not good. Or too good. Same thing, really.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Greetings Adventurers!
    We haven’t really been happy with the position the Rogue has been in for quite a while now, so we wanted to take a long hard look at their mechanics and adjust some of them to make a more rewarding experience and create some distinct play styles. To that end we have made a lot of power tweaks, adjusted Stealth, and created 3 brand new feat trees.

Overview
    Before we talk about the other changes, let’s talk about the big one. Perma-stealth is going to get much harder to play. We don’t really like the gameplay of “invisible attacker dealing steady damage” because the cases for counterplay are limited and require more skill to fight against than we feel is appropriate. Therefore we made two major changes to stealth. Firstly it will drain a little bit when you attack from stealth. To compensate for this you will get 100% critical chance while stealthed. We want stealth in Neverwinter to move towards a quick burst in power that rewards smart play to confuse foes, rather than an effect you can keep up indefinitely.

Every feat tree/paragon path is able to maintain perma-stealth at this point. It's almost easier than in previous modules.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
    edited November 2014
    I would probably be concerned with picking the executioner path as we realize it needs to be adjusted and may be overdone when it is, but then again how long has the SW 1 million damage in a second melt everything in the room bug been around. I am going to go scoundrel and probably a WK too, I am a little worried that in PvE I will have much less control than a CW and deal about half their damage with maybe the same survivability or less and quite a bit more limited -- but the path is too fun to pass up.

I'm probably going to end up as a MI Sabotuer regardless of what happens in the next couple of days too. Suits my playstyle ideal of a sword wielding assassin the best. Functionally I have some very fun rotations I can do as a Sabotuer that I just can't do as a Scoundrel/Exe. Speaking of themes, "Sabotuer" would suggest Spy/scout/disruption behind enemy lines rather than direct combat. Certainly a facet of the pen n paper rogue, but doesn't really have a place in neverwinter. When I think of "rogue" combat styles, the first three things that come to mind are alley brawler, professional assassin, and swashbuckling duelist(like the three musketeers). As far as fighting goes, I don't really see how "Sabotuer", and "Executioner" would be much different. As described in page one "sustained damage" vs "deadly burst" doesn't really hold true IMO.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm probably going to end up as a MI Sabotuer regardless of what happens in the next couple of days too. Suits my playstyle ideal of a sword wielding assassin the best. Functionally I have some very fun rotations I can do as a Sabotuer that I just can't do as a Scoundrel/Exe. Speaking of themes, "Sabotuer" would suggest Spy/scout/disruption behind enemy lines rather than direct combat. Certainly a facet of the pen n paper rogue, but doesn't really have a place in neverwinter. When I think of "rogue" combat styles, the first three things that come to mind are alley brawler, professional assassin, and swashbuckling duelist(like the three musketeers). As far as fighting goes, I don't really see how "Sabotuer", and "Executioner" would be much different. As described in page one "sustained damage" vs "deadly burst" doesn't really hold true IMO.
    the problem is that the brawler part is missing so i would rather stick to refilling encounters and some damages rather than dead
  • reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A problem with Scoundrel is against a CC immune mob its damage drops by a large amount.
    And it is not even that much more survivable compared the other two paths dazes that don't work against some mobs compared to 20% more stealth regeneration or perma-stealth.
    edited November 2014
    reds351 wrote: »
    A problem with Scoundrel is against a CC immune mob its damage drops by a large amount.
    And it is not even that much more survivable compared the other two paths dazes that don't work against some mobs compared to 20% more stealth regeneration or perma-stealth.

I would like to see the scoundrel capstone changed to either a stun or a daze that can affect some (normally) daze immune targets. I also think the survivability is lacking and that maybe Mocking Gesture could add .5/1/1.5/2/2.5% more Deflect Chance and 1.5/3/4.5/6/7.5% Deflect Chance for 10 seconds after entering stealth.
  • hadukhanhadukhan Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reds351 wrote: »

yeh i never understood this either!
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yeah, scoundrel is fun, but against CC inmune targets things get rough.
    I've been playing with scoundrel in preview, I'll test sab or exe now and see how are things.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Or alternatively, allow SoD to stack, but decrease the effectiveness of SoD by 60% each time it stacks...
    edited November 2014
    morenthar wrote: »
    I'd rather have an immunity coming out of stealth or something that will actually help them survive in PvP. I love the tree and I'm going to stick with it, but I'll be in for a hurtin' most likely. I'm competive but the PvE side of me is starting to win over the PvP. It's just not consistently fun enough for me to do as often. So getting smoked isn't going to bruise my ego. :)

I would also rather it be something protective leaving stealth but I thought this path needed a bit more deflection (maybe) and figured it needed to be a higher tier feat and just put it there since it was deflection based anyways and I felt the feat was very lackluster currently for a tier 4 feat (although it has a use it is just that it doesn't impress me much for a T4). Basically I don't really care for Mocking Gesture and would never consider spending (wasting) the points on it in its current form.
    edited November 2014
    The I don't bother to get the feat as I don't spend a lot of time in stealth.
    Edit: also the time when I need deflection the most is when they can see me
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorta wish they made a path that buffed the TR out of stealth. The GF has paths that encourage to NOT use guard.
    edited November 2014
    I think the issue is they don't want to make a GWF with dazes instead of stuns.

Anyway I think the feedback is pretty much over at it comes out in less than 20 hours. lets hope for good things in the patch notes tomorrow. (Like a fix on SOD)
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Exposed Weakness: Stealth also causes you to ignore 5/10/15/20/25% of your target's armor.

Does this calculated as ArP or can go negative (debuff/buff) ? (PvE)

Shadowborn: Entering Stealth grants you 20/40/60/80/100% increased power for your next attack.

Perhaps making it work on encounters only will be more useful, if it trigers from at-wills / DoTs it will force crossing ones fingers, pray and a stealth->encounter button smashing instead of normal timing.
    edited November 2014
    The tactician capstone feat is terrible if that's what you are referring to and reckless attacker got a rework/nerf and doesn't work as you describe, anymore. If a tactician doesn't block, he's dead in two hits, i believe. So no clue what you are even talking about.

Seems to me that what he said is correct, it's just that the mechanic doesn't actually work effectively in practice. It's the same story with many of the feat paths and paragons. The theory of how the different paths are supposed to perform is sound but the actual implementation leaves something drastically inferior or superior. Rogue in preview could potentially with some tweaks have all feats and paragons be viable in all sorts of different playstyles. That would be a breath of fresh air for diversity in this game, and something I would hope happens to all classes. I'm not expecting or holding my breath for a balanced rogue on M5 launch at this point. So long as they keep tweaking and improving over the next couple of weeks I'll be happy. If we get a series of nerf-bats and then ignored for months I'm throwing in the towel and giving up on this game.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Tactician capstone used to only be in effect for taking unblocked damage. This is not the case since the big GF reworking, and it now doesn't matter if you're blocking or not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited November 2014
    Tactician capstone used to only be in effect for taking unblocked damage. This is not the case since the big GF reworking, and it now doesn't matter if you're blocking or not.

Can't say I know much about the GF class other than fighting them, and that you could attach kitchen appliances to those shoulder guards. Oh, and they are lucky that they have a ready to go bob-sled for winter time.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Seems to me that what he said is correct, it's just that the mechanic doesn't actually work effectively in practice. It's the same story with many of the feat paths and paragons. The theory of how the different paths are supposed to perform is sound but the actual implementation leaves something drastically inferior or superior. Rogue in preview could potentially with some tweaks have all feats and paragons be viable in all sorts of different playstyles. That would be a breath of fresh air for diversity in this game, and something I would hope happens to all classes. I'm not expecting or holding my breath for a balanced rogue on M5 launch at this point. So long as they keep tweaking and improving over the next couple of weeks I'll be happy. If we get a series of nerf-bats and then ignored for months I'm throwing in the towel and giving up on this game.

Naturally, since "making the theoretical mechanic to work in real life" involves actual skill. The less skilled you are, the more you trouble you have (= consequentially, the more you whine about it). Seems to be a problem with a lot of Feedback posts, lately.

Ofcourse, in some cases certain mechanics could be much too difficult to expect players of average caliber to be able to handle it effectively, in which case tweaking or rework should be done. However, being an average grade player myself, I haven't seen any such "too difficult" mechanics in the preview.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • yourbutt2048yourbutt2048 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    micky1p00 wrote: »
    Exposed Weakness: Stealth also causes you to ignore 5/10/15/20/25% of your target's armor.

Does this calculated as ArP or can go negative (debuff/buff) ? (PvE)

Shadowborn: Entering Stealth grants you 20/40/60/80/100% increased power for your next attack.

Perhaps making it work on encounters only will be more useful, if it trigers from at-wills / DoTs it will force crossing ones fingers, pray and a stealth->encounter button smashing instead of normal timing.

Exposed Weakness is ArP, I tested it on a training dummy with and without the feat, did about the same damage both times with LB.
    edited November 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Naturally, since "making the theoretical mechanic to work in real life" involves actual skill. The less skilled you are, the more you trouble you have (= consequentially, the more you whine about it). Seems to be a problem with a lot of Feedback posts, lately.

Ofcourse, in some cases certain mechanics could be much too difficult to expect players of average caliber to be able to handle it effectively, in which case tweaking or rework should be done. However, being an average grade player myself, I haven't seen any such "too difficult" mechanics in the preview.

Plenty of powers or feats that are clearly superior or inferior regardless of player skill. Other factors are only unlocked via skill-cap and gear combinations. GWF intimidation procs are a good example of something that's very gear dependent.
    There is also the factor of reliability. Sure, something may be very powerful in a given situation, but is it reliable in a broader sense.
    My current PVE rotation is complex enough that it took me a solid week to work out the muscle memory so that I wasn't making the mistakes that would get me killed. Which literally all it takes is a wrong button press a half a second early. If I did die, it was usually in 1-3 seconds full HP to dead. This was in soloing and completing major HEs in IWD, mother lode was my favorite one. I would say my TR's PVE rotation is about as effective as my lesser geared CW's. But the CW rotation has a lower skill-cap and is much more reliable. If my TR didn't have a Pvorp I wouldn't even be in the ballpark.
  • imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone noticed you lose stealth faster if you use cloud of steel or DHS this is sucks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone noticed you lose stealth faster if you use cloud of steal or DHS this is sucks

No, not really. Doesn't drain any stealth for me. Maybe it's a bug or something. You should report that!
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is the video show how i lose stealth fast this is in preview btw idk if this a bug or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40oI_qqVKoU&feature=youtu.be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If this isn't fixed by launch or thursday, its here to stay this way till mod 6 knowing pwe.

No, because it severely breaks their new capstone content. I just soloed the first phase in like two minutes with a 13.5k TR...

Players will need only one phase to beat the heads. Here's my two-minute-damage (same 13.5k TR, 5k Power):

bvo9yf2.png

GFs can triple that amount, 45M in one phase. CU in the Nine Hells. You can only imagine what BiS TRs will do to the heads. We are talking seconds.

So if this indeed goes live tomorrow, farm and farm a lot. You'll never ever beat Tiamat that easy.
This discussion has been closed.