test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Iron Maiden: A Reflect-Based Protector Build for Swordmaster GF's.

Comments

• acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've been meaning to ask, but is it at all possible to itemize for the amount of ability cooldown that you get from INT so you can focus your stats more on, say, CON and STR? I've been meaning to run a Guardian Fighter, but your build takes a radically different approach to itemization and stats than, say, the 13k Tactician or the other PVP-focussed Pure Tank Tactician.

Then again, I'm a total newbie to late-game planning and builds in this game, so feel free to point out I am absolutely blind to such.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Welp, this build is now officially dead with the changes to AP generation on Knight's Valor and the huge SoS nerfs. You simply won't be able use SoS anymore, and Knight's Valor doesn't even give you enough AP to be noticeable.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, switch back to DPS, this build was total cheese OP especially with glyphs and black ice... What you really think this was gonna stay?....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    Strange to only see GF crying here when GWF already write many new post lol.

SoS AP generation was not an issue, KV AP generation was too much OP, but now Nerf hammer just kill SoS and KV is fine.

But really ... why dev' nulify AP gain from all sources when we are buffed with the 14 sec SoS timer ? I can understant damages reflected doesn't give AP, but why all you do during the SoS buff (14 sec !!!) don't give you AP ? stupid nerf.

R.I.P Iron Maiden
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They really need to reverse this. There's no reason to go tactician now as you're being punished for naught.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is a "Reflect" build, anyway?

Do you mean "Deflect"?

:)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is a "Reflect" build, anyway?

Do you mean "Deflect"?

:)

Don't be silly. GF can't even achieve a very high deflect.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. GF can't even achieve a very high deflect.

Not even a Halfling with Valiant gear of Parrying?
  • snappa0126snappa0126 Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2014
    This build is useless now...delete the thread.
    HAMSTER, level 60 GF, "Bloodthirsty" since Mod 2
    Anarchist, level 60 CW
    Arsenic,
    level 60 TR
    Pluck Yew, level 60 HR
    Therapissed,
    level 60 DC
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not even a Halfling with Valiant gear of Parrying?

A Guardian Fighter is able to be around 30% deflection chance with proper gear.
    edited October 2014
    30% with proper gear ? look awesome !!!

... in fact, no : you will sacrifice some thing just to reach that 30%, so the sacrifice will always cost too much because 30% deflection instead of 15% doesn't help you (50% deflection is a minimum to start see an help, because with 30% you will just deflect small hit and take full BIG hit)
  • twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited October 2014
    30% with proper gear ? look awesome !!!

... in fact, no : you will sacrifice some thing just to reach that 30%, so the sacrifice will always cost too much because 30% deflection instead of 15% doesn't help you (50% deflection is a minimum to start see an help, because with 30% you will just deflect small hit and take full BIG hit)
    Do you have any clue how deflection actually works? It's a chance to avoid a percentage (50% base for GF) of the incoming damage, as such any additional deflection is always helpful in the long run. There's no such thing as a minimum percentage for it to be helpful, in fact if you're talking damage high enough to kill you in one hit neither 1% nor 99% deflection is of any use as that hit might fail to be deflected with either percentage. Those hits are what your shield is meant to be used for.
    Additionally, achieving 30% is really not that hard, my halfer sits at 30% with just 2k deflection.
    edited October 2014
    I think you don't understand me : sorry but English is not my prime language.

What i said is :

I) deflection is not so good : because, for example, with 30% deflection you don't gain 15% damage reduction on a long run (half damage taken 30% of the time), but in fact you will deflect many time small hit, and take big hit at full value.

I said 50% is the minimum because at this rate, deflect big hit is a bit more than a dream : it's just a probability law, i could try to give you a very big explanation if you want.

II) in order to reach 30% or more deflection, you will invest DEX, feat and enchantment (and maybe you will chose halfling but it's something all GF can't do :p)
    With stuff all GF got around 15% deflection, the issue is if you want more deflection you will invest many point because of RNG, so for the same amount of point you will be able to improve at a bigger rate : life, regen, lifesteal (some other stat could help you, but depend of your build) and also STR (block) and other feat

Hope i have help you to understood ^^
  • lordshitpostlordshitpost Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I) deflection is not so good : because, for example, with 30% deflection you don't gain 15% damage reduction on a long run (half damage taken 30% of the time), but in fact you will deflect many time small hit, and take big hit at full value.

I assume he did understand you besides you not being a native speaker. However, it really seems you have no actual clue what deflect provides you.

There are two occasions:

I: You get hit and you take all the damage.
    II: You get hit and deflect procs.

In case two you will resist 50% of the sources damage. This is not connected with the amount of damage you would have taken.
    edited October 2014
    I miss the conclusion on your post below, i guess you think deflection is awesome, so let me show you something :

you agro a pack and you start taking damages :

with 0% deflection :
    300 - 400 - 300 - 300 - 1000 - 400 - 300 - 300 - 300 - 1000 - 300 - 300 - 400 - 300 - 1000
    -> total damages = 6900

with 35% deflection could be something like this :
    150 - 400 - 300 - 300 - 1000 - 200 - 150 - 300 - 300 - 1000 - 300 - 150 - 400 - 150 - 1000
    -> total damages = 6100 ( 11.6% damages reductions )

With 35% deflection again but with epic luck :
    300 - 200 - 300 - 300 - 500 - 400 - 300 - 300 - 300 - 500 - 300 - 300 - 200 - 300 - 500
    -> total damages = 5000 ( 27.5% damages reductions )

So you can see the total damages reduction by deflection is RANDOM : some time you will not take less damages, some other time you will take very less damages, mean you count with luck in order to tank.
    In other hand you got many other 'stable' stat as life, regen, defense, etc

This is why i said it's not so awesome to invest on deflection, but this doesn't mean you must avoid it, natural deflection from gear looks good.

It's probably better to have less deflection but more hp or resist because when emergency case happen, you will be with few hp at the end instead of dead because you deflection doesn't proc at his best.
  • twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited October 2014
    So you can see the total damages reduction by deflection is RANDOM : some time you will not take less damages, some other time you will take very less damages, mean you count with luck in order to tank.
    In other hand you got many other 'stable' stat as life, regen, defense, etc
    If defense and deflection had been the only two means for damage mitigation, yes deflection would be as unreliable as evasion always is, and just as useless for tanking purposes. However, defense and deflection are not the only means, we are tugging along this fancy shield which when we raise it high immediately reduces incoming damage by 80%. The shield is our main tool for tanking big hits, which are nearly always signaled by the mobs doing them and as such easy enough to block. Defense and deflection are there to reduce the damage of all the hits that aren't big enough to warrant being blocked.
    It's very easy to reach defense values around 4000 but investing more points doesn't reduce incoming damage by any relevant amount. This is where deflection enters the picture as it's one of the few other means we have of reducing the incoming damage and in this regard it does an excellent job.
    This is why i said it's not so awesome to invest on deflection, but this doesn't mean you must avoid it, natural deflection from gear looks good.

It's probably better to have less deflection but more hp or resist because when emergency case happen, you will be with few hp at the end instead of dead because you deflection doesn't proc at his best.
    A larger health pool while keeping the same damage resistance increases the damage you can take in one hit or in a short timespan without dying, but it doesn't offer anything that gives you more sustainability in a fight. Deflection however does that. Emergency cases? That's why we have soulforged enchantments :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok, but that provides 0 context.

A lot of this build relied on mechanics that have been changed. Sometimes that happens and builds break, and sometimes they can be tweaked to work with the new mechanics and sometimes they can't, period.

We don't know what your run was like or what went wrong. We don't know if it was the failure of the build (reliant as it is on stuff that doesn't work like it did when created) or something else.

And we don't know if that one guy was just a jerk.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited November 2014
    000000000000(delete this)
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited November 2014
    hmph, this is all moot in the end it didnt mean deflect it meant reflect and the only thing that kills that part of it was nerf to steel defense and the no ap gain during duration but its the same for all duration dailies on all classes or so I've heard unless thats just on preview.

I know my Iron maiden still works its not like it was before but the philosophy and its use is still more or less the same.

oops double post.

and as for the deflect discussion twitticles is correct the shield is the x factor you are all forgetting because technically blocking is better than anyones deflect.
  • gleichgewichtnwgleichgewichtnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Last edited on 01-17-2014

Do we have not one fresh build for the Def GF? :(
  • nyetdiemnyetdiem Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2014
    Quite the thread revival :)

Most of the builds end up posted elsewhere. If you'd like someone to post a new def build, try to find damnacious. He's very well-rounded on GF knowledge. I can post mine, but I'm sure it's second-best compared to a lot of very excellent GF's out there. If you'd like mine, let me know in-game somehow & I'll start a new thread on mine. Best of luck to you.
  • backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nyetdiem wrote: »
    Quite the thread revival :)

Most of the builds end up posted elsewhere. If you'd like someone to post a new def build, try to find damnacious. He's very well-rounded on GF knowledge. I can post mine, but I'm sure it's second-best compared to a lot of very excellent GF's out there. If you'd like mine, let me know in-game somehow & I'll start a new thread on mine. Best of luck to you.

Ive kinda stopped playing my GF since the release of the SW. Finally getting SW up to speed(at least boon wise) and would like to get back to my GF bit. My build was/is very similar to th OP though I did use the guide for some tweeking. I still like the build, maybe more so the "tank" concept behind her. Heavy defense, deflect and reflect as I could make her while maintaining the ability to dish out enough damage to make soloing not to difficult/slow.

All that said, there has been a lot of stuff added to the game, an up to date version would prolly be very helpful to many. This may not be the easiest or most optimal build to the min/maxers but it is very functional/fun to play imho, in both group and solo play.
    Saved!
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have been using this build for a long time and as the game changed, it has been a great source to learn how to adjust my build. It seems this has not happened and I guess it is because this concept of a build has been destroyed by the changes to the game in mod 6. Is this the sum of things?

I know this build had a heavy reliance on KV, lifedrinker and the synergy there, but from what I have read lifedrinker does not work like it used to (and i have a perfect lifedrinker...) and we know life steal or even a high regen just does not cut it.

So do we have anyone willing to lead us GF out of the darkness or do i just have my favorite toon sit on the shelf for a mod or 2 yet again. Any guidance or guides greatly appreciated.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    if you stack darks in defense slots and take the lifesteal boons you can get about 18-20% lifesteal chance without a lifedrinker enchant. this does require r12s though, but if you have lower enchants then you can use the lifedrinker to make up the difference.

18% lifesteal this mod is far and away enough to keep you alive in this build i bet since each time your lifesteal procs you get 100% of the heal. It has been ages since i read this guide (and i don't play a GF very often) so i am not familiar anymore with the features/skills used but with rank 4 steel blitz meaning you get more invulnerable time it has probably gotten easier to pull off, though you are more likely to die if you get hit in between time
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    scathias wrote: »
    if you stack darks in defense slots and take the lifesteal boons you can get about 18-20% lifesteal chance without a lifedrinker enchant. this does require r12s though, but if you have lower enchants then you can use the lifedrinker to make up the difference.

18% lifesteal this mod is far and away enough to keep you alive in this build i bet since each time your lifesteal procs you get 100% of the heal. It has been ages since i read this guide (and i don't play a GF very often) so i am not familiar anymore with the features/skills used but with rank 4 steel blitz meaning you get more invulnerable time it has probably gotten easier to pull off, though you are more likely to die if you get hit in between time

Lifesteal instead of the other three defense options for a tank seems dicey.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • pa1nk1ller1989pa1nk1ller1989 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have been using this build for a long time and as the game changed, it has been a great source to learn how to adjust my build. It seems this has not happened and I guess it is because this concept of a build has been destroyed by the changes to the game in mod 6. Is this the sum of things?

I know this build had a heavy reliance on KV, lifedrinker and the synergy there, but from what I have read lifedrinker does not work like it used to (and i have a perfect lifedrinker...) and we know life steal or even a high regen just does not cut it.

So do we have anyone willing to lead us GF out of the darkness or do i just have my favorite toon sit on the shelf for a mod or 2 yet again. Any guidance or guides greatly appreciated.
    Swordaster paragon for steel defence. Combined with guarded assault and fighter's recovery does it for surviving. In order to supplement that get some ap gain from jewelcrafting upgrade kits and the artifact offhand and you will be good. I use protector for the capstone as less damge for boss means less damage u possibly take via KV. But truth is for t2s u will need a reasonable incoming healin bonus and a capable of playing his class healer
  • guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok let me resume it a little bit...
    Swordmaster Protector for Steel Defense+Guarded Assault+Fighters Recovery+all the Incoming healing u can get
    After all this go for AP gain... by that go Silvery for offense slots for more Ap Gain and Radiants in Defense slots
    Perfect Plague Fire and Perfect Briartwine and go all tanky in boons.
    You can swith the Radiants for Darks in defense slots for more Lifesteal and also go P.Lifedrinker for more % Lifesteal proc.
    Go Halfling in u can switch races for a much tanky character and SOS as Primary Daily and Fighters Recovery when u go low on HP.
    Go Pure Black Ice Set for gear and after u get to 70 go with the PVP or PVE gear with most Deflect.
    Good luck mate. Leneth over and out.
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. I am glad I do not need to abandon this build because I have become used to the play style. I have quite a few silvery enchants already. I just crunched my pvp gear (previous mod lower end set) to get into the new gear available in dragon area.

Will probably swap out life drinker for Plaugefire. Have not started a black ice set yet, but almost all the way done with IWD (man i wish i would have taken a few more days to finish that )

Curious as to what artifact set i should go after? was thinking seledrine.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My issue with the seldarine set is that when you lose 10% of your HP in one hit you are likely to lose a lot more HP then just 10% and as such the 2% heal you get is going to pretty small, even when it is boosted some by your regen and incoming heal bonuses.

I know that GF can gain a large amount of AP via blocking but i would recommend a AP cloak all the same for even more AP gain, the Imperial dragon cloak is power/rec/crit and as such i pretty much perfect for what you are looking for. the Seldarine belt could be an excellent choice though since it is now dex/con and gives power/deflection/lifesteal and if you stack lifesteal is a good choice potentially, otherwise i think a CON belt would be best since it gives lots of HP as a stat and the 4 CON means more AP gain. (and if they ever rework CON to give more HP again it will be even better for you)

The emblem of the seldarine artifact is also dicey as a choice IMO since the companion influence bonus it gives is entirely useless. You can get the same stats from using the lathander artifact (if you have it) and you get incoming heal on the artifact instead if you want to stack lifesteal via artifacts. Other good choices for this build could be the Rod of Imperial Restraint and Sphere of Black Ice which both give recovery/lifesteal/control Bonus. the control bonus isn't that good for your purposes (but it is better then companion influence for sure) but the recovery and lifesteal are 2 stats you can use a lot of. The Blood Crystal Raven Skull might also be a potential artifact but i would probably avoid that since stacking regen to get the bonus incoming heal from it is a poor trade off when you could stack lifesteal instead. the skull's high points though are recovery and the incoming heal bonus it gives (1000 points of incoming heal is worth 8% which is around where you should stop stacking incoming heal since 1600 is worth only 10ish% IIRC, so 1 mythic artifact, and the IWD boon and you are set).
    your first mythic artifact should be the DC sigil though as that is a free daily every minute there vs the 2 minutes it is at legendary. RP is really cheap right now, R4s sell for 4k (much cheaper RP/AD then r5s still) at times during the day and so you can toss those into the sigil stack by stack

Mod 6 is awesome because we can stack single stats so high now. I imagine it is possible to stack recovery high enough to totally avoid needing to use the high INT roll used in the first version of this guide (1000 recovery is worth .5s of cooldown time) (thus letting you stack higher CON for more AP gain). i have no idea if you can afford that though since stack that high means you are approaching r12s and mythics all around.

What i think this all boils down to is trying a ton of stuff on preview first and find something that works there before committing to doing anything on live. I am really sure this build is viable but you NEED to do testing before taking anything i say at its word, this is all theory crafting here.

Some tools for you though:
    wiki page on the artifacts ingame (the wiki is your best friend here in searching for artifacts and enchants since it has everything close together unlike ingame)
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact

Ratings calculator, on here you can build a BIS toon without all the refining to see what your stats will look like.
    Link to blog post explaining how it works
    Link to calculator itself

Because i was curious i ended up making a BIS GF on that ratings calculator site, Here is the result i have no idea if it is actually useful at all, but it looks pretty cool. This gets your cooldowns reduced by 7 seconds, and you have 26.75% lifesteal chance with the tiamat lifesteal boon. on the pet i could have added more silveries for another 2100 recovery but i figured 14k recovery was enough so i went with power instead (also why i went with power kits). switching over to silveries would get you another 1 second of CDR. you could also change the companion gear to the ones that give power/rec (less stats overall, but more focused on what you might want). I used regen kits on the jewelry because i don't think the AP gain stat is very effective... but it might be, test it out :)

Here is the same idea but with r8s and purple artifacts and no kits instead of BIS. I changed out the companion gear to the power/recovery stuff like i mentioned above. if you can't go BIS then the seldarine belt becomes more important (for the lifesteal)
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    scathias wrote: »
    My issue with the seldarine set is that when you lose 10% of your HP in one hit you are likely to lose a lot more HP then just 10% and as such the 2% heal you get is going to pretty small, even when it is boosted some by your regen and incoming heal bonuses.

I know that GF can gain a large amount of AP via blocking but i would recommend a AP cloak all the same for even more AP gain, the Imperial dragon cloak is power/rec/crit and as such i pretty much perfect for what you are looking for. the Seldarine belt could be an excellent choice though since it is now dex/con and gives power/deflection/lifesteal and if you stack lifesteal is a good choice potentially, otherwise i think a CON belt would be best since it gives lots of HP as a stat and the 4 CON means more AP gain. (and if they ever rework CON to give more HP again it will be even better for you)

The emblem of the seldarine artifact is also dicey as a choice IMO since the companion influence bonus it gives is entirely useless. You can get the same stats from using the lathander artifact (if you have it) and you get incoming heal on the artifact instead if you want to stack lifesteal via artifacts. Other good choices for this build could be the Rod of Imperial Restraint and Sphere of Black Ice which both give recovery/lifesteal/control Bonus. the control bonus isn't that good for your purposes (but it is better then companion influence for sure) but the recovery and lifesteal are 2 stats you can use a lot of. The Blood Crystal Raven Skull might also be a potential artifact but i would probably avoid that since stacking regen to get the bonus incoming heal from it is a poor trade off when you could stack lifesteal instead. the skull's high points though are recovery and the incoming heal bonus it gives (1000 points of incoming heal is worth 8% which is around where you should stop stacking incoming heal since 1600 is worth only 10ish% IIRC, so 1 mythic artifact, and the IWD boon and you are set).
    your first mythic artifact should be the DC sigil though as that is a free daily every minute there vs the 2 minutes it is at legendary. RP is really cheap right now, R4s sell for 4k (much cheaper RP/AD then r5s still) at times during the day and so you can toss those into the sigil stack by stack

Mod 6 is awesome because we can stack single stats so high now. I imagine it is possible to stack recovery high enough to totally avoid needing to use the high INT roll used in the first version of this guide (1000 recovery is worth .5s of cooldown time) (thus letting you stack higher CON for more AP gain). i have no idea if you can afford that though since stack that high means you are approaching r12s and mythics all around.

What i think this all boils down to is trying a ton of stuff on preview first and find something that works there before committing to doing anything on live. I am really sure this build is viable but you NEED to do testing before taking anything i say at its word, this is all theory crafting here.

Some tools for you though:
    wiki page on the artifacts ingame (the wiki is your best friend here in searching for artifacts and enchants since it has everything close together unlike ingame)
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact

Ratings calculator, on here you can build a BIS toon without all the refining to see what your stats will look like.
    Link to blog post explaining how it works
    Link to calculator itself

Because i was curious i ended up making a BIS GF on that ratings calculator site, Here is the result i have no idea if it is actually useful at all, but it looks pretty cool. This gets your cooldowns reduced by 7 seconds, and you have 26.75% lifesteal chance with the tiamat lifesteal boon. on the pet i could have added more silveries for another 2100 recovery but i figured 14k recovery was enough so i went with power instead (also why i went with power kits). switching over to silveries would get you another 1 second of CDR. you could also change the companion gear to the ones that give power/rec (less stats overall, but more focused on what you might want). I used regen kits on the jewelry because i don't think the AP gain stat is very effective... but it might be, test it out :)

Here is the same idea but with r8s and purple artifacts and no kits instead of BIS. I changed out the companion gear to the power/recovery stuff like i mentioned above. if you can't go BIS then the seldarine belt becomes more important (for the lifesteal)

I hear what you're saying about the seldarine set not producing a significant enough heal to keep one alive. It's all about layers though. Seldarine DOES give extra AC and deflect as well as con and dex. Reflect damage is a significant portion of my output, so any deflect is great and the AC bonus is welcome on any tank. I'm with you on the AP gain, but I'd rather put ap gain jewels on my seldarine set, than use an artifact set with no defensive bonuses other than AP gain and a wasted stat bonus (wisdom).
    Fear Of A Disco Planet