test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hr piercing dmg

Comments

• bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    1. What any hr would do is, boar charge....rain of swords....activates all red glyphs and does very high dmg. It's easy to land on any player.

2. The thread is titled "12k HR 1 hit rotation against 19k GWF" because I was showing the dps that a hr can do with just 3 powers/ dot dmg. Not 12k hr 1v1s and beats 19kgwf.

Read before posting please.

What kind of idiot would use rain of swords in PvP.....
  • cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    1. What any hr would do is, boar charge....rain of swords....activates all red glyphs and does very high dmg. It's easy to land on any player.

2. The thread is titled "12k HR 1 hit rotation against 19k GWF" because I was showing the dps that a hr can do with just 3 powers/ dot dmg. Not 12k hr 1v1s and beats 19kgwf.

Read before posting please.

You realize that if they miss boars their whole rotation is screwed, and since everyone is giving out bursts they can't afford that. They're not going to even be able to get close with a moving opponent that's actually trying so they're going to need either Maurarders or to waste all their dodges (made for defense) on 2 offensive attacks that have a chance of being sprinted out of, dodged, or blocked.... The red glyphs are broken all by themselves so I don't really thing you can pin that on the HR
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    bvira wrote: »

Guys I did NOT say anywhere that I use this rotation. I have said multiple times i used it in the vid to show dot dmg... and my last reply was saying it's not hard to land, because it isn't.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The kind that can melt you in seconds. Most underrated pvp encounter. which is good because would be a bummer to see it nerfed too. I run archery since the fun factor of dom/pvp has been lost but I'm pretty geared out. Multiple legendary artifacts, all artifact equipment and all rank 10 radiants with full black ice or profound. I get melted by a 12k Combat spec all the time. GC implemented it to be this way.. to fix it either changes the feat tree again or nerf's an entire feat line.

CW's can still perma cc most classes. This seems a fair trade off. Also, you are forgetting how the changes you want would affect someone who pvp's and pve's. Same can be said of GF's and CW's. Even from a pve perspective, I have CW's kiting scorpions in LoL and still doing 1-3m+ more dmg than me.. and Im focused on burning the other scorpion down. So why do Cw's get DD and CC but no one else can be good at multiple things like dmg+healing.

And the poor trapper tree is worse than nature.. at least nature had an interesting build and used all the neglected powers.

I think someone said watch what you wish for.. It could get worse.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The red glyphs are broken all by themselves so I don't really thing you can pin that on the HR

I am not, and before i made this thread i made a thread about red glyphs and spoke about my own class, the gf and our infinite dailys being wrong, and when mixed with glyphs is op. As i said before if i make a post its because i want balance.

Also All pvp hr or at least 99% use fox shift and boars in pvp and then 3rd power is either thorn ward or marauders so if they miss boar there rotation isnt messed up. Hr has crazy movement speed so can catch up to most players and with marauders or some other powers its very easy to do. The one class that its kinda hard to catch is cw.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    The kind that can melt you in seconds. Most underrated pvp encounter. which is good because would be a bummer to see it nerfed too. I run archery since the fun factor of dom/pvp has been lost but I'm pretty geared out. Multiple legendary artifacts, all artifact equipment and all rank 10 radiants with full black ice or profound. I get melted by a 12k Combat spec all the time. GC implemented it to be this way.. to fix it either changes the feat tree again or nerf's an entire feat line.

CW's can still perma cc most classes. This seems a fair trade off. Also, you are forgetting how the changes you want would affect someone who pvp's and pve's. Same can be said of GF's and CW's. Even from a pve perspective, I have CW's kiting scorpions in LoL and still doing 1-3m+ more dmg than me.. and Im focused on burning the other scorpion down. So why do Cw's get DD and CC but no one else can be good at multiple things like dmg+healing.

And the poor trapper tree is worse than nature.. at least nature had an interesting build and used all the neglected powers.

I think someone said watch what you wish for.. It could get worse.
    Just because a power could do high damage doesn't make it useful in PvP. RoS and RoA can both be easily dodged, so yea...
  • osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    If the HR also needs a rework, so be it. Frankly, I'm not sure just what to call the HR any more. Rangers in D&D can be versatile and both capable as a ranged and melee combatant, but still the defining format/archetype for the class is basically the "archer", with the iconic imagery being the bow, arrow, and an animal partner.

No, they were not. Not in D&D1:
    Rangers are a sub-class of Fighting Men, similar in many ways to
    the new sub-class Paladins, for they must always remain Lawful or lose
    all the benefits they gained (except, of course, experience as a fighter).
    Strength is their Prime Requisite, but they must also have both Intelli-
    gence and Wisdom scores of at least 12 each, and a Constitution of at
    least 15.

Not in AD&D, where they were a subclass of the fighter, and they were the ONLY HAD MELEE! (AD&D PH1, page 25, table of rangers attacks per round)

Not in AD&D 2nd Edtion, where HRs still listed under the fighter category:
    The ranger is a hunter and woodsman who lives by not only his sword, but also his wits. ... Although the ranger can use any weapon and wear any armor, several of his special
    abilities are usable only when he is wearing studded leather or lighter armor. ..

Not until 3rd edition the bow was listed as a weapon for rangers, as a subtype path u could choose. Before that, there were mainly MELEE FIGHTERS!

And even now, 4th Edition, the rules which NWO is based on, the HR remains a class who can choose from more melee paths than ranges ones.

Where does come the myth rangers are ranged classes???

Stop that misinformation!

This thread is so full of false assumptions. Seems people neither have knowledge about d&d NOR the online game... gosh...
  • thirty6chambersthirty6chambers Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Don't trust the other guy. Trust me. It's Piercing Blades. Or rather, the way how varying degrees of undodgeable, unmitigatable damage sources including PB, was just presented to the HR classm that is the problem.

Red Dragon Glyph is merely a catalyst which magnifies something that was already a problem by itself, starting from mod3 and the addition of Careful Attack. Basically crixus nailed it on the head. He sees it.

In a game where defensive mechanics are generally weak and time-to-kill very short, any mechanic from any class that deals damage in the form of "unmitigated" or "undodgeable", or (heaven forbid) BOTH simply has no place in PvP.

This guy has the idea. I have an 18k gwf pvp spec. Purified gear, SENT. 1907 reg. 2208 deflect. 39% chance deflect. 4k defense. 47% defense. 49k Hitpoints. 8k offense, 10k defense.

The HRs unavoidable + unmitigated damage is unbelievable! HOW CAN YOU HAVE A CLASS THAT HEALS ITSELF THE MORE YOU ATTACK IT?!! Aside from the piercing damage, the deflecting off of heals and lifesteal mechanic needs to be looked at well.

I can only speak as a GWF right now. My CW has no problems with them, but as a GWF, without my prone's I CANNOT 1v1 an HR or node fight them.

Really, that is the glaring problem in this MOD with GWF vs HR. The inability to prone them. With my prone's I can then deal a massive amount of damage that they can't recover from. They essentially die in the next rotation. I see that proning is a problem for the other classes, even more so. But without it, fighting an HR is impossible.

And yes, i'm one of those GWFs who won't run and I will fight to the death on the node, specifically if its 1v1 as well. Running with a character holding a damned 12 foot blade is unspeakable. Especially from a leather clad, bow toting tard named Legolas/Drizzt who thinks he's good because of broken development.
  • thirty6chambersthirty6chambers Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, they were not. Not in D&D1:

Not in AD&D, where they were a subclass of the fighter, and they were the ONLY HAD MELEE! (AD&D PH1, page 25, table of rangers attacks per round)

Not in AD&D 2nd Edtion, where HRs still listed under the fighter category:

Not until 3rd edition the bow was listed as a weapon for rangers, as a subtype path u could choose. Before that, there were mainly MELEE FIGHTERS!

And even now, 4th Edition, the rules which NWO is based on, the HR remains a class who can choose from more melee paths than ranges ones.

Where does come the myth rangers are ranged classes???

Stop that misinformation!

This thread is so full of false assumptions. Seems people neither have knowledge about d&d NOR the online game... gosh...

This isn't hard to answer Einstein.

People think they should be RANGED because of the BIG *** BOW ON THEIR BACKS. Not to mention any form of a Ranger in pop culture, gaming today presents them as a primarily ranged damage dealing bad-***.

I play a GWF primarily, right now. Don't know why though. Guess i'm hardened. I had it good for a while and I guess I like the abuse.

But I bet if I could sling my 2 handed cleaver in your direction 80 yards away, you'd be pissed. Even if it was just to finish you off, you'd be pissed.

I'd call the encounter power "Campfire". The farther away the target, the more crit chance i'd get too. Would be killer. Bring back GWF crying status.
    edited September 2014
    It's funny how a RANGER could do s*** tons more MELEE damage than all other melee classes.

They could even heal much more than a DC (heal to full with lifesteal feats). Something just doesn't seem right...
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd call the encounter power "Campfire". The farther away the target, the more crit chance i'd get too. Would be killer. Bring back GWF crying status.

Man, this is exactly the power I thought about when there was only 1 paragon path.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's funny how a RANGER could do s*** tons more MELEE damage than all other melee classes.

They could even heal much more than a DC (heal to full with lifesteal feats). Something just doesn't seem right...
    The class name Ranger has NOTHING TO DO WITH RANGE. And it never has, in the entire history of D&D. See Aragorn for details.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The class name Ranger has NOTHING TO DO WITH RANGE. And it never has, in the entire history of D&D. See Aragorn for details.

Roffels/10char
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • mulemulemule2mulemulemule2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014

LOL @ history of D & D. This game is so far off canon its only relation now is in name only. In this game rangers are primarily a ranged class. Just look, the bow is the main hand weapon and the blades are off hand. The bow holds the weapon enchant. Its pretty obvious and its also obvious that the feat tree of rangers needs to be corrected. Un-mitigated damage has no place here. An encounter that can melt 27k hp off of a GWF with the best gear in the game has no place here.

Its nerf or nothing.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    An encounter that can melt 27k hp off of a GWF with the best gear in the game has no place here.

Its nerf or nothing.

Where does that put 30K IBS and Savage from BiS GWFs?

Nerf or nothing?
    edited September 2014

Nerf or nothing?

I am not certain what you are saying here since you use acronyms but I will clarify my post for you. An encounter that does 27k damage to a GWF who is wearing the best gear in the game, that encounter has no place here. Un-mitigated damage has no place here. Not at that high of a value. Remember mod 2 when everyone cried "Nerf TR impact, lashing, they 1 hitting cw's QQ" Well TR's got nerfed because they could 1 hit cloth wearing classes. Now we have HR that can do a similar amount of damage to all classes.... Do you understand? Its nerf or nothing because the devs will either Nerf it or do nothing. That is how these devs roll.
    edited September 2014

Since ranger, according to you, has absolutely nothing to do with range, why not just remove the bow? Not like they need it anyway.
    edited September 2014

Nerf or nothing?

Let's face it, HR's piercing blade is way more problematic.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    WoW is not an Action MMO, and PvP is better there by far, and actually working. Just the fact that it has Tab targetting doesn't make a game worse by default. Claiming that the game takes no skill is quite crazy, as evidenced by the very small number of players that are actually good at high-end PvP or able to clear heroic raids before the nerfs.

If anything, the devs here could learn a lot from WoW. You know... things there JUST WORK.

That's because in WoW, the perfect counter class to spellcasters are Rogues. *hint hint*

The Rogues there are fitted with some anti-magic self protection*hint hint*, smoke screen that prevents ranged attacks*hint hint*, very powerful gap closers*hint hint*, but mostly silencer attacks*hint hint* and powerful CCs*hint hint*... so generally in WoW fighters are naturally very strong against TRs, but weak against spellcasters, spellcasters generally eat fighters for lunch, but are weak against rogues, and rogues are the bane of spellcasters, but very difficult to take on fighters... although this predatory balance isn't set in stone.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If the HR also needs a rework, so be it. Frankly, I'm not sure just what to call the HR any more. Rangers in D&D can be versatile and both capable as a ranged and melee combatant, but still the defining format/archetype for the class is basically the "archer", with the iconic imagery being the bow, arrow, and an animal partner.

You are wrong. In NN 1 and 2 first thing you do is select bow or 2 longsword path. And I think it is same in playbook for D&d 4 and 5. So melee is exactly what belongs to hunter. But you are right about dots - no WoW please.

Archer are not Ranger.

2ns thing you are wrong - so big melee damage. Another lie. all HR state that it is low. That is why they put Piercing in first place.

So all your lie about ranger keep away from HR in Neverwinter. Keep away all this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of knowlage from people that left other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> games.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    no one should have unmitigatable damage on feats
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let's face it, HR's piercing blade is way more problematic.
    HR overall damage indeed is, because it's from procs and not from a rotation that takes time to set up and might miss, might not crit, might be deflected and so on.

Was just saying that other classes have the potential to do tons of damage, and do it quite often as well.
    edited September 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    no one should have unmitigatable damage on feats

Exactly. There are classes (GF) who is made to mitigate damage and be a tank. If you give HR damage that can't be resisted then you just unbalanced the game and tossed the GF class out the window unless of course you decide to give the GF a feat that "mitigates" un-mitigatable damage, which given the history of these devs and how they have been trying to "balance" the game is probably what will happen. Not trying to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the dev's parade but the player base is unhappy and its directly because of the multiple failures at balance, lack of innovation and creativity shortcomings.

If I didn't know better I would say that they have this "rolling" profit model based around imbalance and burst spending. They unbalance things on purpose so players run out and build the latest FOTM class spending cash on it and then BAM its over and on to the next FOTM. Not a sustainable model but certainly a way to make money in the short term.
    edited September 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    You are wrong. In NN 1 and 2 first thing you do is select bow or 2 longsword path. And I think it is same in playbook for D&d 4 and 5. So melee is exactly what belongs to hunter. But you are right about dots - no WoW please.

Archer are not Ranger.

2ns thing you are wrong - so big melee damage. Another lie. all HR state that it is low. That is why they put Piercing in first place.

So all your lie about ranger keep away from HR in Neverwinter. Keep away all this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of knowlage from people that left other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> games.

Okay. I stand corrected.

Let's just simply leave out the fact that your class has the big friggin' HUNTER Ranger distinction which clearly denotes the class is centered on the ARCHER aspect of the three possible build paths as laid out in D&D 4th (which this game is originally based on, btw), and also the fact that it has another clearly seperate path called ORIGINAL RANGER, which is to me another clear indicator that ours is the HR and not the OR.

But still, admittedly the iconic bow, arrow, animal companion part was my mistake and misinformation, so I stand corrected about that part.

(ps)Unbelievable. These Ranger apologists.. :rolleyes: these people really think the mess of a hazy amalgam HR really is justified the way it is...

(ps2)In that case, I demand the TR also gets a light ranged weapon, as clearly stated in D&D many of our current encounters/feats/etc.. are also possible to use with shortbows and crossbows. Let's see how you like it when we hit you with Dazing Strike from 60' away. (well, actually DS only works with melee weps.. but you get the idea...)
    edited September 2014
    HR overall damage indeed is, because it's from procs and not from a rotation that takes time to set up and might miss, might not crit, might be deflected and so on.

Was just saying that other classes have the potential to do tons of damage, and do it quite often as well.

to be correct - you have to do encounter or at will to get piercing working. All people don't understant is that piercing is just + 40% of base power damage. And combat HRs need to have that damage to be not another TR or DC .
    assume you have 2 hand fighter in mod 5 like SW now. how many really good or decent powers does SW have for pvp? more then 3 right? You can go with ray or heartthron or killing or health slealer one. And they heal as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> .I have temptation one too.

So we have this hypothetical 2 hand mellee class that depend on light armor and dodge. And does deals % of his damage as unmitigated. cause he has to compete with heavy armor GWf and GF under the sun right? and it would be called balance.

And this fighter would have some specific tab power. Assume like curse from SW - does more damage to one target. Cause he is striker and Damage Dealer.

So HR are now week version of that melee fighter - only change tab to 10% of use of bow. And 8+ ecnounter to 3. Where 2 are conditional to trigger- fox can not be spammed and depends on distance like boars too. And fox is only encounter we have as main damage dealer. Pretty weak by itself without piercing cause all you already killed it by all your nerf cry. So why don't you cry somewhere else about somewhere else nerf please? Kill some other class as you for sure can?

I don't think HR are best way done in mod 4. But cry for nerf just because you can only cry for nerf is wrong. Cry for Buff of your classes, cry for fix the balance of all classes,cry to place HR as 1vs 1 kings and play in teams! cry about 20k GS people vs 10k GS people in pvp. Just find another place to cry then cry about HRs please.
    edited September 2014
    Okay. I stand corrected.
    HUNTER Ranger distinction which clearly denotes the class is centered on the ARCHER

ranger are not Archers in dnd by default. Don't Use BIG LETTER to state that Hunter Ranger has Archer work between 2 others. ))

And if you look at anounce of HRs long time ago- they are
    In addition, all powers have a ranged element to them, which is especially beneficial when in melee stance.
    from
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/5002303-preview%3A-hunter-ranger-paragon-path

AND
    Because the Hunter Ranger can switch between combat modes, s/he also benefits from having two versions of each At-Will and Encounter power.
    The separate versions of the powers have different cooldowns, so you can really get strategic with your rotation and playstyle.
    Additionally, some of the powers compliment their counterparts very well.
    For instance, Marauder’s Escape / Marauder’s Rush are both big movement powers.
    Marauder’s Rush can allow you to lunge into combat from a long distance and Marauder’s Escape can let you jump back out.
    For some of the even more spectacular combinations, you’ll have to look outside of just the ranged/melee versions of a single power.
    Let me give an example:

1. (Melee) Cast Hawkeye to buff your next attack

2. (Ranged) Open the fight with Hawk Shot, which deals additional damage at long range

3. (Melee) Dash
    in with Marauder’s Rush

4. (Melee) Apply a bleed with Aimed Strike

5. (Melee) Hindering Strike to root your target

6. (Ranged) Dash backwards with Marauder’s Escape

7. (Ranged) Immediately cast Aimed Shot, which is a high damage At-Will that can be interrupted if you take damage

8. (Ranged) Continue casting Hindering Shot (3 charges) and use Rapid Shot or another At-Will until your powers come off cooldown, or you can use a daily.

With this combination you can deal a pretty deadly rotation against either a single enemy or a player in PvP.
    There are lots of other combos available and I think there’s a lot of room to get creative with the Hunter Ranger.
    from http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/1001130-dev-blog_-ranger-design-decisions

But yes, correct, archer with power of nature and companion are hunter ranger. And 2 blades guys with power of nature and companion are hunter rangers.

Let me just leave it here http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Ranger

My questions are
    - Where is my animal compation??)))
    - Does anybody ever bothers reading what are " There are three ranger subclasses: original ranger, a martial striker,[PHB:103] hunter, a martial and primal controller,[HotFK:149] and scout, a martial and primal striker" BEFORE making statements about HRs?
    edited September 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    ranger are not Archers in dnd by default. Don't Use BIG LETTER to state that Hunter Ranger has Archer work between 2 others. ))

And if you look at anounce of HRs long time ago- they are
    from
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/5002303-preview%3A-hunter-ranger-paragon-path

AND

from http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/1001130-dev-blog_-ranger-design-decisions

But yes, correct, archer with power of nature and companion are hunter ranger. And 2 blades guys with power of nature and companion are hunter rangers.

Let me just leave it here http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Ranger

My questions are
    - Where is my animal compation??)))
    - Does anybody ever bothers reading what are " There are three ranger subclasses: original ranger, a martial striker,[PHB:103] hunter, a martial and primal controller,[HotFK:149] and scout, a martial and primal striker" BEFORE making statements about HRs?

Okay. You win.

Despite the fact the 6 features which set down the HUNTER Ranger path at the beginning, level 1, are:

1. Archery Style
    2. Expert Archer
    3. Disruptive Shot
    4. Weapon Talent
    5. Aspects of the Wild (hunter)
    6. Wilderness Knacks

...by your infinite wisdom, Hunter Rangers have nothing to do with Archery by default.

They just hunt stuff with javelins and little knives. :rolleyes:

Your total victory! Congrats! Keep telling others that and someday they might believe you!

:rolleyes:
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Nerf or nothing?

And 30k Icy Rays and Ice Knives from BiS CWs, fired from range with hard CC. Stick to the thread.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Well this thread has delved right into the nerf request zone...

Sorry guys, I let it go as long as I could but the last few pages are heavily into biased and frankly untrue claims.

And furthermore to correct an incorrect statement, I did not say it was hard to land HR attacks. I am saying it is no harder than other classes unlike these biased claims. Seriously, the best advise you guys can take is to play an HR to see how they play. It's not effortless.

The attacks are almost all aimed (not auto-target) on the melee side. If you're one of the people who believes otherwise then you need to stop requesting nerfs without actually experiencing the mechanics from the other end of the spectrum and consider strategies to use against HR opponents.
This discussion has been closed.