test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Half dragons!! They should never had been removed from the game (D&D). I want them returned and added to Neverwinter, maybe as a free alternative to the Dragonborn (which I despise). Dragonborn, in my opinion, make no sense in the matter of creation and they do not exist in my tabletop games.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Half dragons!! They should never had been removed from the game (D&D). I want them returned and added to Neverwinter, maybe as a free alternative to the Dragonborn (which I despise). Dragonborn, in my opinion, make no sense in the matter of creation and they do not exist in my tabletop games.

Half dragons are still in DnD, they are called sorcerers. They were never removed, and in fact sorcerers are more distinct like that in 5th edition.
    huajia2 wrote: »
    I voted gnome as well. As others had said, it's a core D&D race. (Plus I'm fond of gnomes.)

Hate to break your bubble but Gnomes haven't been a core race for a long time. They aren't a core race in 4th and aren't a core race in 5th either.
  • nordveignordveig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Aasimar please.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    They aren't a core race in 4th and aren't a core race in 5th either.
    While not a playable race in 4th editon core world, they are however a playable race in the Realms, as listed in the supporting races in the 4e Forgotten Realms Players Guide.

nordveig wrote: »
    Aasimar please.
    Aasimar are now known as Deva in 4th Edition.
  • ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I do agree we do need alternative to the Dragonborn, just as we have alternative races for the elven...Truth be told, as cool as the Dragonborn look, they are too Lizard looking in my opinion, they lack the impressive and intimidating look of the Rare Sub-Species, the Draconians with their Wings and Tail

AE5Hnz1.jpg

or the Exotic and Majestic look of a mythical Half-Dragon with their Humanoid figure adorned with their draconic features...

ijsq6qJ.jpg

I always though that when the Dragonborn would be release it be at the same time or after the Sorcerer Class was in the game, to enhance their Dragon blood traits even further with a Paragon Path like Dragon Disciple from Neverwinter Nights or something in does lines... Interesting enough we got the Warlock (Hell Wyrm Anyone?), regardless I was happy, we will have to wait and see! :o
  • huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hate to break your bubble but Gnomes haven't been a core race for a long time. They aren't a core race in 4th and aren't a core race in 5th either.

I can't help it if I'm old. :p

In fact, gnomes weren't a playable race in the edition I first played. But the version I played years later, they were a core race and my second reason stands either way: I just like gnomes.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dunno why, ignoring the fact that DnD hasn't respected size the best a gnome should do is be able to wield a dagger around like a sword and wouldn't even be able to hold a two handed sword.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    None of those races interest me, I'd love to see Vampires/Werewolves too, but as others have already said they're no longer races in 5th edition. :(
    From the aviable choices, maybe Devas or Wilden.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dunno why, ignoring the fact that DnD hasn't respected size the best a gnome should do is be able to wield a dagger around like a sword and wouldn't even be able to hold a two handed sword.

For a gnome or halfling: Use dirks as daggers, daggers as a long sword, and a longsword as a two-handed sword :) That's how I do it anyway.
    edited September 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    None of those races interest me, I'd love to see Vampires/Werewolves too, but as others have already said they're no longer races in 5th edition. :(
    From the aviable choices, maybe Devas or Wilden.

I think they try it with the Vryloka race, and turning the Vampire into a Shadow Striker Class...Not sure about Werewolves I think maybe Shifter and the Class of Moonstalker, maybe...?
    For a gnome or halfling: Use dirks as daggers, daggers as a long sword, and a longsword as a two-handed sword :) That's how I do it anyway.

Ah, this brings back memories...the racial limitations...Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games...romance, side-quest, drama with companions (they had personality, their own side-quests and always something to say about anything you did or about other active companions...I love when they started fighting among them selves ;)), I even remember you could have your own base, the Planar Sphere good for jumping around in the map, a Castle, Secrete Base in cemetery or at the Docks etc...Wow, talk about nostalgia! In dose days since game technology was not so advance the Developers and Gaming industry put a LOT of effort into getting the players into the story and character...good stuff in their time, good stuff.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted other.

Looking for the race Feyri to be added. A forgotten realms race of sun elves with demonic heritage. For reference see the sourcebook "Races of Faerun"

Awsome race, and faerun specific.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yuan-ti gets my vote
    Genasi will never happen since that would mean 4 Sub-race to be added.
    Gith may be but would rather see Shadovar first.
  • t8xt8x Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All my characters are humans. I like humans.
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I choose Genasi, seemed to me most fitting. Hope its not a pay to unlock though but i can see why it would be.
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Deva ftw!
    However, they're really complex with the wings and stuff, and I'm afraid if they get added, they'll be the race slapped inside a boutique pack.
  • lortechlortech Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited September 2014
    Definitely Wilden. Would love to play an elemental-type and they could go very well with a new Druid class :)
    "One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality"--Chief Crazy Horse

"Do what thou Whilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the Law, Love under Will."--Aleister Crowley
    edited September 2014
    I just wish they expanded more on the more exotic rare races, like Deva, Draconians, Wilden, Yuan-Ti, Feyri, Gensai, Cambion, Vryloka, Shifters or even some that are no longer in actual playbooks...Half-Dragons...

ijsq6qJ.jpg

hGbrZ54.jpg

PeNsODv.jpg

3LuPMVE.jpg

I mean I read that sorcerers are half-dragon but the only Path that does confirm this to what I seen in games is the Dragon Disiples in Neverwinter Nights...Just look at that Majestic looks, omg its to die for (*drools*). Anyway I settle for any of the others rare ones, as they are also very impressive too!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    The mod team knows I deeply love Half-Dragons and I actually never got rid of them as a species in my campaign, where Dragonborn do not exist either. In perspective as a DM for two decades of the Realms, my thoughts are that while Half-Dragons were effectively replaced as a playable race with Dragonborn, Half-dragons still do exist throughout the Realms as a "Monstrous Manual" type species. For, the fact remains that there's not anything in any 4e literature stating that Half-dragons do not exist anymore in the Realms.
    edited September 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    The mod team knows I deeply love Half-Dragons and I actually never got rid of them as a species in my campaign, where Dragonborn do not exist either. In perspective as a DM for two decades of the Realms, my thoughts are that while Half-Dragons were effectively replaced as a playable race with Dragonborn, Half-dragons still do exist throughout the Realms as a "Monstrous Manual" type species. For, the fact remains that there's not anything in any 4e literature stating that Half-dragons do not exist anymore in the Realms.

Your so Awesome Zeb! Your replies are so informative and full of cool D&D lore, Love to play with you as my DM! Thank you for that information I though they be gone, I guess I'm such a Monstrous Manual type species fan boy, I always love the exotic races in D&D they seem so interesting! We will have to wait and see what the official word is about the Wizards of the Cost is with the new races...I hope is something EPIC!
  • grac3n77grac3n77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    GNOME Obviously..like Firble.
  • mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm hoping for Warforged or Goblins. Goblins moreso, because I want to play a small race instead of all these lame normal-size ones. Goblins could have racial characteristic of maybe +10% ride speed and -10% threat generation? :D
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Shades - they are such a big part of the realm, it is odd that they are not present yet.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Deva would be cool, I don't know much about their lore, but I like their looks.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • emmrossemmross Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    HAS to be Gnome. Classic.
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Always thought Gnomes were the single most pointless "core" race in the game, personally. That aside I voted for Genasi since most of the others in the poll seem like they'd be little more than rehashes of something already in (the Too Many Elves are bad enough as is), really obscure or some combination of difficult to justify and possessing, in 3.x terms, ECL up the wazoo.

BTW why no Aasimar in the poll? You'd think they were at least as common as Tieflings if only due to the lack of actively sociopathic tendencies in the original Planar ancestor and its first-generation offspring... or more bluntly put, the rather higher likelihood of any Prime Material dalliances to not involve the likely unpleasant demise of the mortal partner at some point. Plus less attrition from hereditary attitude problems.
    edited November 2014
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    BTW why no Aasimar in the poll? You'd think they were at least as common as Tieflings if only due to the lack of actively sociopathic tendencies in the original Planar ancestor and its first-generation offspring... or more bluntly put, the rather higher likelihood of any Prime Material dalliances to not involve the likely unpleasant demise of the mortal partner at some point. Plus less attrition from hereditary attitude problems.
    Aasimar are now called Deva in 4th edition.
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *eyeroll* Because changing established names to something until then used to refer to bona fide Celestials makes sense. One more reason to find 4th ed dumb and best avoided I suppose.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd like to see a Shadowfell related race. Shadar-kai are already in the game as enemies in Veliosk, Revenants would be good as well, Shades would be another nice option.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    *eyeroll* Because changing established names to something until then used to refer to bona fide Celestials makes sense. One more reason to find 4th ed dumb and best avoided I suppose.

Well 4e is by far my favourite edition, and I started playing D&D when pterodactyls where still roaming the land....
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Aasimar are now known as Deva in 4th Edition.

Are you sure that is not Assimons, the actual Celestials? Like Monadic and Movonic Devas, Solars, Planetars etc?

Aasimar are/were the plane-touched humanoids with Celestial ancestry, much like Tieflings are the Infernal counterpart. But my 4E lore is poor.

I wanted to vote Aasimar, as my first character is a Tielfing and I made her history so she was the child of the Heroes of Icewind Dale - Heart of Fury, who were an Aasimar Druid and a Tiefling Illusionist/Thief. But she takes mostly after her mother as only Tieflings were available in module 2. :rolleyes:

Sheesh! Us role-players, eh?

~
This discussion has been closed.