test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

Which Forgotten Realms Race do you wish
to see added the most next to Neverwinter Online?

wotc_divider_center.gif

With the release of the Dragonborn, it is time for a new Poll on desired Races!
Here is the old one!

We can only fit 10 options into a poll, so there will only be 9 options,
with a 10th "Other, post with answer" choice.

Below is an almost complete list of 4e Playable Races
from the 4e Core Rulebooks for the Forgotten Realms.

This doesn't count supplements and races able to enter from other worlds.
If your desired race is a Forgotten Realms Race and not on this list,
feel free to post your desire for it anyway!

FR Pro-Tip: Non-native race desires probably won't be taken seriously!

wotc_divider_center.gif

Races:
PHB1: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
PHB2: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, and Shifter.
PHB3: Githzerai, Minotaur, Shardmind, and Wilden.
FRPG: Deva, Drow, Genasi, Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Gnome,
......... Goblin, Goliath, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Lycanthrope, Orc, Shade, Shifter, and Tiefling.
NWCS: (Racial Variants) Dwarf, Eladrin, and Elf.
Other: Bladeling, Githzerai, Githyanki, Half-Drow, Saurial, and more.

Key:
PHB1 = 4e Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
PHB2 = 4e Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes
PHB3 = 4e Player's Handbook 3: Psionic, Divine, and Primal Heroes
FRPG = 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
NWCS = 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting
Other = In 4e books that I don't physically own.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    This poll is now live!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I want the Shifters added. We don't need no blasted outsider races like the Githyanki or Genasi. Eladrin were a mistake with 4th edition I am glad 5th edition corrected, why in the world would we need half-drow since they are basically half elves with a darker complexion, Deva is in the same boat as my belief with the other outsider races, they simply should not be player characters except maybe in Planescape games.

The only race I wouldn't mind seeing are gnomes but I would prefer a shifter. Anything that isn't another blasted elf. I hate elves.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    True orcs first.

"Lok'tarrrrr !!!!"

...or was that..

WAAAGH!! ? :D
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Anything but more elves.
    Personally i want Lycanthropes or shifters.
    21.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    My vote is for gnomes as we have an apparatus now, well suited for gnomes. Gnomes are also making a comeback in the the Realms after several thousand years of slavery and hunting to near extinction for magical components. They've begun coming out of recluse, laying trust in the Free-City States of the Realms looking for protection and friendship, even after their homeland was obliterated during the Spellplague.
  • forumgambittforumgambitt Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dude, we already have Eladrin. Sun Elves and Moon Elves ARE Eladrin. :|
    edited September 2014
    Dude, we already have Eladrin. Sun Elves and Moon Elves ARE Eladrin. :|
    Ambiguously incorrect. Not all High (Sun) Elves and Moon Elves are "Eladrin."

Eladrin native to Toril would have to have been born from two Full-Blooded Eladrin within the last 100 or so years. True Eladrin have lived in the Feywild since the World was made into two, Abeir and Toril, by Lord Ao. Prior to the Spellplague, the Feywild only existed in Abeir, the mirror-World of the Primordials.

With the Spellplague, the Worlds collided and parts of Abeir merged with Toril and vice verse. This is where portals to and from the Feywild opened up in both and how True Eladrin finally came back to Toril.

High Elves are the closest relation to True Eladrin, but still extremely distant as a subspecies. Toril-Native Elves can "adopt" Eladrin traditions and then therefore can call themselves Eladrin. In effect, this makes Eladrin the progenitor race with all other Elves as Subraces of Eladrin.

This is explained clearer in the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting source books. If one is gaining information just from the base Players Handbooks, then that information is severely misleading. Severely. Which is why Ed Greenwood and other Notable Realms Authors clarified it for the Realms, prior to their changes coming/brought in 5th Edition.

Remember, 4th Edition changes to the Realms were against Ed Greenwood's and other Notable Realms Authors' wishes. 5th Edition Changes to the Realms is these authors' fixes to how the Realms is supposed to be.

why in the world would we need half-drow since they are basically half elves with a darker complexion
    Actually, Half-Drow are much different than other Half-Elves in terms of ecology. Half-Drow once ruled the Country of Dambrath, much like how Underdark Drow ran their homelands, just on the surface. With the rebellion after the Spellplague, the Northern region has had a massive influx of Half-Drow that were driven from Dambrath, making them more abundant than other Half-Elven species in Faerûn and surrounding Regions.

The reason I added them to the Poll list and didn't leave them in other is because the most requested Half-Elf on the forums since Alpha, has been for Half-Drow.

• marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted Gnome because they are standard in D&D. Some of the options don't make sense though like Eladrin since they are already in the game as Sun and Moon Elves. Astral Deva should be extremely rare and on other planes most of the time so should not be playable.
    Githyanki are gross and a mistake, I hoped to see the last of them in the Neverwinter Nights games, rather not see them anymore, especially female Gith. Minotaurs are a savage beast race, not welcome in cities, should not be playable either.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • jarecord03jarecord03 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Deva paladin's to balance the warlock tieflings. :D
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Personally i want Lycanthropes

Lycanthropes [and Vampires] have finally reviewed with rational heads and are no longer a race in D&D.

You are born as a race now. If you are a werewolf halfling you are still a halfling. If you are an elven vampire you are still an elf.
  • ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I voted for Deva becuse its LONG overdue,

MPj3oLK.jpg

but I love to see the Half-Undead Race Vryloka!

1gfxuXZ.jpg

Hmmm, but now that I think about it, Deva, Aasimar should be the one as also a class worthy of it like Paladin or something in does lines, also as the Eladrin, Spirit folk, Shifters with the Sorcerer Class or another Magic Class. Races as Vryloka, Shade, Revenant, Alu-fiends, Cambions, Genasi, etc...or Classes like Blackguard, Vampire...Should be for a Module for the Astral Sea, Shadowfell, Elemental Chaos and Abyss Campaigns...Ill just wait petiantly for that day!

Besides that I like to see a Draconian (even thought their are really rare as I was told by officials) as a Free Race for the new Dragonborn since it was mention they would not add a Free race related to them...it be nice to have as a freebie!

gseJy2J.jpg

And Half-Dragon even if they no longer Exist in the 4th Edition they are a very interesting breed, could bring a lot of spice to the current story, as remnants of the forgotten fallen Chimera Empire or something similar, etc...at least it be good for the RPG element and not to mention that they look very, very Cool!

hGbrZ54.jpg
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I want gnolls to be a playable race. That'd be awesome, but for the love of all that's holy allow their mouths to close properly before making them playable. Also the digitigrade legs would present a problem with all current armor, and seeing as what they did for dragonborn with helmets (basically not allowing them to be visible) I don't see Cryptic putting the work in to modify armor models to allow for that kind of legs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1. cool, so far so good, interesting a goblin but as long as you play with one, not 3 (yes in Allods online i think, you are playing/moving/attacking with 3 midgets- so imagine the lag in Neverwinter on the maps if many people has 3 goblins at any encounter)
    2. i didn't saw Troll on poll.
    3. about next classes i would love to see a Necromancer with a Putrefy skill and summoning a temporary powerful black Knight or Demonologist summoning demons which are already in game as assets but few new demons types can be created such as Archdemon or pure Summoner (living beasts and creatures) or Engineer or Alchemist or why not a Druid.Of course a Lycanthrope cant be a druid,whatever ,creating new races will need new classes for a great expansion game success.
    4. i would love to see some zombies players, vampires , strigoi ..
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
    edited September 2014
    criss11 wrote: »
    2. i didn't saw Troll on poll.
    Those would fall under the "and more" part:
    Alas, they are not a playable race in the Forgotten Realms, so are not listed at that link's location or core rulebooks as a playable race.
  • mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well speaking as someone of the RP community we discuss Genasi or Aasimar the most. Full Orcs come up regularly too. Also Gnomes, though this is something I am not personally interested in. Still, I gotta represent ^^

I voted Genasi. I already RP a Djinn descended but from lack of options she is just human with a drop of Djinn blood in her. I would like to do a real Genasi some time :)
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thank you for the reply with the Troll.
    I guess in others goes Harpy too. Popular and quite strong creatures,famous creatures specially for their scream (not song) in Gothic game :D
    I'd say cryptic go for Harpy too,humanoid creature with an avian lower body and a pair of wings , ignore the fact that some things are present or not in D&D game which i don't know it, and start to create new things in Neverwinter. Everyone loves new things :D.
    In others includes Gargoyle too i guess.
    Gargoyles, very strong creatures in Gothic 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvK6u4OXxQ

Every country has it's own mythological creatures or folklore , i bet if we try to make a list we might gather more than 200 types of races ,species or subspecies lol.
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    True lycanthropes or shifters all the way!
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted Shifters, because PUUUUUURRRR!
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I voted in the wrong one :(

Wanted to vote on Eladrin because Noble Eladrins are the most superior race ever.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    True lycanthropes

As I said before...not a race.
    edited September 2014
    Indeed. In 5th edition Lycanthropy is once again properly an infliction, not a race. One is not born a lycanthrope, one becomes a lycanthrope. Alas, in 4e, Lycanthropes are most erroneously a race. Thankfully Ed and the others fixed that too.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We have 6 frickin' pointy ears variants, but no human variants... there was a good opportunity to have Illuskans/Northlanders implemented in Mod3/IwD for the related content, same for the Rashemi with mod2 (as they live around Thay) or the Netherese, the Deep Imaskari could complement the Drows when they were added, but it looks like devs aren't interested in humans, despite it's probably the most played race... :/
    edited September 2014
    Lycanthropes [and Vampires] have finally reviewed with rational heads and are no longer a race in D&D.

You are born as a race now. If you are a werewolf halfling you are still a halfling. If you are an elven vampire you are still an elf.
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed. In 5th edition Lycanthropy is once again properly an infliction, not a race. One is not born a lycanthrope, one becomes a lycanthrope. Alas, in 4e, Lycanthropes are most erroneously a race. Thankfully Ed and the others fixed that too.

So, dose that mean we could see this as a Classes (Example: Vampire was introduce as a class in the Heros of Shadow) in the future in Neverwinter? Or maybe as Special Paragon Class for all existing Classes and races??? :eek:
    edited September 2014
    ngeluz wrote: »
    So, dose that mean we could see this as a Classes (Example: Vampire was introduce as a class in the Heros of Shadow) in the future in Neverwinter? Or maybe as Special Paragon Class for all existing Classes and races??? :eek:
    I doubt it. It's more likely Neverwinter lore will continue advancing in the timeline, as it has been doing, until it catches up with the Realms' changes in 5th Edition. Hopefully! Vampirism is an infliction, like Lycanthropy in 5e lore, so to make it a class would go against current 5e lore.
  • huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I voted gnome as well. As others had said, it's a core D&D race. (Plus I'm fond of gnomes.)
    edited September 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I doubt it. It's more likely Neverwinter lore will continue advancing in the timeline, as it has been doing, until it catches up with the Realms' changes in 5th Edition. Hopefully! Vampirism is an infliction, like Lycanthropy in 5e lore, so to make it a class would go against current 5e lore.

Aw, my hopes and Dreams where just crush... (goes to a corner and cries himself to sleep)

Hahaha, but seriously... I thought Neverwinter was a mix of the Rule Books Editions...The 4th Edition changes where absolutely my favorite, the Cosmology, the Lore, New Playable Races, New Classes, everything was so different, and it was what draw me to Neverwinter Online... I mean when I read this intro:

For heroes who bask in darkness.

The Shadowfell is a cold, grim place through which the spirits of the dead must pass on their way to . . . wherever. Dark, evil things live there, suffused with the power of shadow. Some mortals in the natural world learn how to tap into this source. Assassins. Necromancers. Hexblades. By all accounts, a ruthless lot. However, not all beings that draw strength from the Shadowfell are vile, blackhearted fiends. A few even dare to call themselves heroes, using the power of darkness to fight darkness. Are they evil? No.

I was like, wow when the Shadowfell Module hits Neverwinter it be the END of my social life! hahahaha But if that's not the case...it be disappointed... :( But my social life will live! :p

Anyway I believe in you Guys working in Neverwinter, bring all this cool lore, different races and time line stuff, that has happened to life!!!
  • chromaticwyrmchromaticwyrm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Alright I didn't pay near a 100 dollars to be a lizard HOWEVER I would pay that to play a aasimar! So here is my suggestion for the next pay to play race.

Angel_Avatar.jpg
    edited September 2014
    ngeluz wrote: »
    Hahaha, but seriously... I thought Neverwinter was a mix of the Rule Books Editions...
    Nay. Neverwinter Online's game mechanics are, as Cryptic's CEO Jack Emmert put it, "While technically it is based off of Fourth Edition, it is actually its own edition." The game's mechanics are based off of 4th Edition and as Jack stated, it would actually be its own edition, like 4.NW or something. The game's lore however has continued to follow the Timeline as it progresses towards 5th Edition Changes.

We now have the Tyranny of Dragons, which is a lead up to the Third Sundering (5th Edition Lore). While the game will likely remain mechanically 4.NW edition, the lore will apparently continue to update with the timeline on into 5th Edition. This is why making Vampires and Lycanthropes a Class would be troublesome for WotC in my opinion, who are very strict on maintaining the Lore of their D&D Titles. For mechanically they are classes in 4th Edition, they are an infliction in 5th Edition lore.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I voted gnomes, though I personally wouldn't mind seeing githyanki or goblins in the mix as well. Actually I've always wanted to play as a smart, cunning goblin...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.