Install Arc
Options

Scourge Warlock Guide

124»

Comments

• Options
    bewarned87bewarned87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Was just wondering a good power bar loadout for running a tempation warlock, including class features, i can get a good build going for myself (i see builds good for playstyle) but im havin a little trouble in choosing which powers to use when healing haha
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I think there a few good builds on here looking at temptation spec
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    I think there a few good builds on here looking at temptation spec

Is there any chance they could be linked on the first page?
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Great guide. I have referenced it many times.

I would like to add that I rather like the passive Deadly Curse. For me it seems to be a DD, not a DoT. There is no recast timer on my curse so I can use it to curse/DD an enemy, use a curse consumer like VE, then hit them again with a curse/DD. This also lets me use my curse to finish off a low health minion, and then I can immediately curse/DD something else. I took the heroic feats for more curse damage so that probably helps a bit as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Great guide. I have referenced it many times.

I would like to add that I rather like the passive Deadly Curse. For me it seems to be a DD, not a DoT. There is no recast timer on my curse so I can use it to curse/DD an enemy, use a curse consumer like VE, then hit them again with a curse/DD. This also lets me use my curse to finish off a low health minion, and then I can immediately curse/DD something else. I took the heroic feats for more curse damage so that probably helps a bit as well.

I am about to update the deadly curse part as its actualy now my main class feature it actualy turn the curse into a single dmg skill its good for high dmg spike combos
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I am about to update the deadly curse part as its actualy now my main class feature it actualy turn the curse into a single dmg skill its good for high dmg spike combos

LOL! Gor Blimey, make up your mind! :D

I have only one Class feature at the moment (only level 27) and I bypassed Deadly Curse due to your guide. I think I'll rank it now.

Do you have any finalised builds posted anywhere?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I rather like the passive Deadly Curse. For me it seems to be a DD, not a DoT.

I get confused with all the txt-spk. What is "DD"? Damage Debuff?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Is Infernal Spheres the only power that bestows a Lesser Curse?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    LOL! Gor Blimey, make up your mind! :D

I have only one Class feature at the moment (only level 27) and I bypassed Deadly Curse due to your guide. I think I'll rank it now.

Do you have any finalised builds posted anywhere?

Well i have a dmg spike build for damnation but tbh it can pretty much be used for any of the tree and it involves deadly curse
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Deadly Curse though imho is only good in dmg spike build its especially good in harrowing storm cause when you surge harrowing with warlocks curse it dose a spike of dmf and when you do it with deadly curse it will give you the dmg spike from harrowing and another 2k or more worth of dmg from deadly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alienmafiaalienmafia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking to pick some brains for ideas. Which feat should i get with a Fury DPS tree with self survival. I have gotten full fury tree plus Hope Stealer and will be using Famorian MH/OH and Malevolent Warlock's set. I have 5 extra points I'm not entirely sure on where to put it. Full DPS is not what I'm aiming for (it is primary role but I'm not a fan of going full DPS).

In order of my ranking of what i need without knowing how final build will perform (I'm at 56 atm).
    Compounded Soul
    Relentless Curse
    Murderous Flames
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    alienmafia wrote: »
    I'm looking to pick some brains for ideas. Which feat should i get with a Fury DPS tree with self survival. I have gotten full fury tree plus Hope Stealer and will be using Famorian MH/OH and Malevolent Warlock's set. I have 5 extra points I'm not entirely sure on where to put it. Full DPS is not what I'm aiming for (it is primary role but I'm not a fan of going full DPS).

In order of my ranking of what i need without knowing how final build will perform (I'm at 56 atm).
    Compounded Soul
    Relentless Curse
    Murderous Flames
    Compounded Soul is a solid choice for any tree if you don't want to go 100% offence. You'll probably have a respectable HP pool and this adds significant survivability to yourself AND your party.

Relentless Curse is only really useful if you've built to fully exploit Lesser Curse effects. There are a few feats in the Fury tree that will do that, plus the Heroic feat Scornful Curse.

Murderous Flames can be great for pure DPS and some added AoE, but is a bit buggy and unreliable at the moment.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    alienmafiaalienmafia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Compounded Soul is a solid choice for any tree if you don't want to go 100% offence. You'll probably have a respectable HP pool and this adds significant survivability to yourself AND your party.

Relentless Curse is only really useful if you've built to fully exploit Lesser Curse effects. There are a few feats in the Fury tree that will do that, plus the Heroic feat Scornful Curse.

Murderous Flames can be great for pure DPS and some added AoE, but is a bit buggy and unreliable at the moment.

I've heard about the murderous Flame issue.

I'm only using Killing Curse and Daughter's Promise so Relentless Curse wont help much especially if I'm not cursing more than the boss.

Guess I'll be going with Compounding Soul since it is the most efficient of the three.

Any of suggestion different though other than these three?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I get confused with all the txt-spk. What is "DD"? Damage Debuff?

Direct Damage.

Txt spk? No, I picked that up during the early days of Everquest.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Direct Damage.

Txt spk? No, I picked that up during the early days of Everquest.

Ah, OK, thanks!

I am one of those old fogies who still types full sentences with grammar and punctuation on his 'phone.

It took me long enough to work out that sometimes "CC" means "Crowd Control" and not "Cragmire Crypt"

Hee hee! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ah, OK, thanks!

I am one of those old fogies who still types full sentences with grammar and punctuation on his 'phone.

It took me long enough to work out that sometimes "CC" means "Crowd Control" and not "Cragmire Crypt"

Hee hee! :D

No worries. I probably should have spelled it out at least once. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, my first Warlock, a female Draconian, has hit level 30.

And I STILL have no idea what Paragon to take. I want it ALL!

She will have CON and CHA 25 and INT 15 at level 60 (with campfire bonus).

I like the idea of puppets to help in a tight spot, but I also like the idea of Fury.

But then, I have three level 60 DCs, and being in a support and healer role also appeals.

Then again, I have two spare character slots, so I could make one of each.

So should I make the Draconian a Temptation, and then roll a Tiefling Fury and a Halfling Damnation Puppet Master? I have to make at least one Halfling, as I have one of every other class and they are identical sisters.

DOH! Someone decide for me!

(dither, dither, procrastinate, dither...)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I made a human Temptation warlock with a focus on applying curses as much as possible (both normal and lesser).

For At-Wills I use:
    Hand of Blight
    Hellish Rebuke

For Encounters I use:
    Infernal Spheres as they apply Lesser Curse DoTs, can be activated while moving, and they target on their own.
    Vampiric Embrace for the heals and temp hit points for myself and my allies.
    Dreadtheft because it is great.

For Dailies I use:
    Tyrannical Curse because it is awesome.
    Gates Of Hell

For Passives I use:
    Deadly Curse as it tuns my main curse into a direct damage ability with no cool down. This is a key ability for my build.
    Prince Of Hell as I need more ArP.. But when I get enough with better gear I will swap this out.

For Feats I chose:

Heroic:
    Weapon Mastery - 3
    Toughness - 3
    Empowered Rituals - 3
    Shadow Fold - 1
    Determined Casting - 5
    Blood Pact Of Cania - 5
    Scornful Curse - 3 *This is key for my build as I want to curse everything as much as possible (for non-humans I would remove points from Blood Pact and leave this feat maxed).

Temptation Path:
    Vengeful Curse - 5 *I like more Lesser Curses
    Compounded Soul - 5 *Since everything gets cursed one way other the other this feat works often
    Aura of Despair - 5
    Eldritch Momentum - 5 *I don't like getting hit so when it happens I get more options to run
    Soul Bonding - 1

Damnation Path:
    Relentless Curse - 5 *Yet more Lesser Curses
    Syphoning Curse - 5 *Once more, since everything gets cursed one way other the other this feat works often too

I use (spam?) my TAB Curse ability all the time as it has no cooldown and each time it hits a target without my main curse already applied it does damage. If I curse a 4th target one of the 1st ones gets its main curse removed, allowing me to re-curse and apply direct damage once more. Each time one of my curse consuming abilities eats my curses (Vampiric and Dreadtheft) I can immediately re-curse for even more direct damage.

So far it has really been fun and successful for me. YMMV.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just a quick word about Damnation path. I hit 60 last night and was considering changing to either Temptation or Fury. Damnation is a great solo/levelling path but sometimes feels like neither DPS nor Support but some kind of middle ground. So I did some parses to see how much I might miss the permanent pet.

To my surprise the pet is contributing anywhere between 13% and 17% of my total DPS. It's also contributing around 4% healing through lifesteal. And these are just direct effects without taking into account spreading Lesser Curses or occasionally grabbing aggro.

Also a quick mention about the Erynies companion. I know summoned companions are generally considered sub-optimal but parses reveal that she uses her temp hitpoint buff a LOT - it contributed 21% of my incoming healing.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    lilbyrdielilbyrdie Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe this is true of other classes, but I feel like there are choices that don't make sense until you have higher choices picked (feats, dailies, etc.). That is to say, the build you use while leveling seems like it will either be partially useless until around 50+, or won't be as useful as it could be once you hit 50+.

Is it common to respec the tree once hitting 60 to give a build better focus?
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lilbyrdie wrote: »
    Is it common to respec the tree once hitting 60 to give a build better focus?

Yes it is common, especially with new classes or if you are coming at content for the first time. It would also be quite common to level, respec for low end game and respec again for high end game.

Perhaps less so now you can get all the powers but feats and boons sure.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I color Coded the primary secondary and None Class Attribute rolls
    Primary
    Secondary
    None Class Attribute

18 13 13 10 10 8
    18 13 13 10 8 10
    18 13 13 8 10 10
    17 14 13 10 10 10
    17 13 14 10 10 10
    17 13 13 11 11 10
    17 13 13 11 10 11
    16 16 12 10 10 10
    16 15 13 11 11 9
    16 14 14 11 10 10
    16 13 15 11 11 9
    16 12 16 10 10 10
    15 15 13 12 11 10
    15 15 13 11 10 12
    15 14 13 12 12 11
    15 13 15 12 11 10
    15 13 15 11 10 12
    15 13 14 12 12 11

Order of the Scourge Warlock Ability Scores

The table above gives all possible ability score combinations for a generic character. Depending on a character's class, the values selected will be automatically reordered as follows:
    The primary ability score is always the highest.
    The secondary ability scores are the second and third highest, in no particular order.
    The remaining three scores (A B and C) will be placed in a specific ability, according to the character's class:

Scourge Warlock:Cha Con Int Wis Dex Str

Great Guide as always, but you made a typo on the initial, base Stat rolls in Post #2.

A, B and C are actually STR, DEX and WIS, not WIS, DEX and STR.

So the Table for Initial Dice Rolls for the SW should be:

[COLOR="#FF0000"] 1º[/COLOR]	 [COLOR="#0000FF"]2º	 2º[/COLOR]	 [COLOR="#008000"]A	 B	 C[/COLOR]	
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]CHA[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000CD"]CON	INT[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]STR	DEX	WIS[/COLOR]	Tot
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]18[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"] 8	10	10[/COLOR]	72
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]18[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	10	 8[/COLOR]	72
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]18[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	 8	10[/COLOR]	72
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]17[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]14	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	10	10[/COLOR]	74
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]17[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	14[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	10	10[/COLOR]	74
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]16	12[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	10	10[/COLOR]	74
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]12	16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]10	10	10[/COLOR]	74
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]17[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	11	10[/COLOR]	75
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]17[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	10	11[/COLOR]	75
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]15	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	11	 9[/COLOR]	75
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]14	14[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	10	10[/COLOR]	75
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]16[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	11	 9[/COLOR]	75
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]15	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	10	12[/COLOR]	76
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]15	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]12	11	10[/COLOR]	76
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]11	10	12[/COLOR]	76
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]12	11	10[/COLOR]	76
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]14	13[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]12	12	11[/COLOR]	77
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]15[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#0000FF"]13	14[/COLOR]	[COLOR="#008000"]12	12	11[/COLOR]	77

If you want to add a link to this table in post #2, or just replace that part of post 2 with this table, be my guest.

Although, you could just change:
    The remaining three scores (A B and C) will be placed in a specific ability, according to the character's class:

Scourge Warlock:Cha Con Int Wis Dex Str

to say:

Scourge Warlock:Cha Con Int Str, Dex, Wis

It does make a difference, as the rolls of one of my SWs do not appear on your version of the table.

Cheers!

:)
  • Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just a quick word about Damnation path. I hit 60 last night and was considering changing to either Temptation or Fury. Damnation is a great solo/levelling path but sometimes feels like neither DPS nor Support but some kind of middle ground. So I did some parses to see how much I might miss the permanent pet.

To my surprise the pet is contributing anywhere between 13% and 17% of my total DPS. It's also contributing around 4% healing through lifesteal. And these are just direct effects without taking into account spreading Lesser Curses or occasionally grabbing aggro.

Also a quick mention about the Erynies companion. I know summoned companions are generally considered sub-optimal but parses reveal that she uses her temp hitpoint buff a LOT - it contributed 21% of my incoming healing.

I was actually curious about this.

I already have 2 CWs who put out pretty respectable DPS. When I saw SW, I looked through the paragon feats and instantly thought to myself "No thanks, Fury, I already have 2 CWs". Is Damnation really that bad?
    In terms of viability for PvP and PvE, that is.

EDIT: Just to throw this in there, I've played Whisperknife since it came out so I know what it's like to be underpowered/relatively useless.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Which curses work with TT - lesser curse, warlocks curse (tab) and WB - that's all of them isn't it?
    Will make difference to what feat to use if you want to max its effect.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mjytresz wrote: »
    I was actually curious about this.

I already have 2 CWs who put out pretty respectable DPS. When I saw SW, I looked through the paragon feats and instantly thought to myself "No thanks, Fury, I already have 2 CWs". Is Damnation really that bad?
    In terms of viability for PvP and PvE, that is..

Not as if content is insanely difficult to begin with. Temptation is a totally different ball game, but Fury/Damnation isn't going to be a massive change during a dungeon run aside from Fury being better at boss killing. Both pop TT, everything melts anyway. Both slot accursed, everything melts. Add in CWs to round up everything into a ball, it's overkill.