Install Arc
Options

Scourge Warlock Guide

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    The reason I think it's more dps is while HoB hits harder it's also slower than EB and EB has an AoE component which as we all know is king since the general theory in the game is adds adds adds.

I might agree with that if most of the situations I would even be using a third attack. I am plowing enemies down with dreadtheft or my dailies regularly, I hardly use my at wills as is, except for when I am in between cooldowns and most of the time that's hellish rebuke for more debuffing goodness.

Also, you have to remember if you are in melee, Hand of Blight hits way faster.
  • Options
    souleshasoulesha Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm also a Temptation warlock.

Solo PvE: It doesn't matter which at-wills you use, because it's easy to plow enemies down with abilities, as you say. Sometimes I like to use Dark Spiral Orbs, because they hit like a truck with 2-3 stacks, which are easy enough to upkeep.

Group PvE: Same premise here. You'll spend most of your time melting trash with just a sprinkle of at-wills. While I appreciate the debuff of HoB in theory... you need to be in melee range to apply it. The ranged attacks of HoB do not apply the debuff, and they are noticeably slower than EB's ranged attacks. Trash mobs like to clump together, which is perfect for the AoE aspect of EB. I find EB more efficient in terms of overall DPS and healing done.

For end bosses, I try to upkeep HR on the boss. I still prefer EB over HoB for my secondary at-will. There are tons of adds during boss fights. Even if I somehow pull the boss... I'm not sure HoB the best choice. You don't have much time to sit there and stack the debuff of HoB. You can trade a blow or two, but then you have to kite kite kite. It just seems too risky to me, and the debuff would likely fall off faster than it would be useful (for one attack from the boss).

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Furthermore, hand of blight is great for temptation locks because of the damage debuffing it provides.

This was the reason why I've been using it, since we support, thought the debuff would go hand in hand (no pun intended lol). It seems to work great in melee, just not ranged. I might want to swap it out for eldritch instead. Not to mention that I made a mistake and maxed out the other beginner at-will instead, so I won't be netting max damage with eldritch at this stage.

I will try the VE and WB combo. I will need 3 more levels to pick it up WB.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    warpstrifewarpstrife Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you go full temptation are you able to be a full on healer and run end game content as the main healer ? I know its still early but form what the tempt locks have seen so far ?
  • Options
    tgnetblaisetgnetblaise Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    warpstrife wrote: »
    If you go full temptation are you able to be a full on healer and run end game content as the main healer ? I know its still early but form what the tempt locks have seen so far ?

Thats what I want to no.. When can you start being a main Healer
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Thats what I want to no.. When can you start being a main Healer

Never it cant main Heal it lacks the dmg mitigating skills that a cleric has Like AS
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    Never it cant main Heal it lacks the dmg mitigating skills that a cleric has Like AS

well that is very disappointing, thanks for the info voltomey.
  • Options
    atreiyatreiy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Hello,i'm now 14k SW and played Damnation :it did a lot of dommage with electric+Puppet but the main problem was the soul puppet: couldnt enter doors like in Valindra Tower.
    I'm going to play temptation and my main problem is the weapon enchant wich one is the best for this? Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes that's the main problem with damnation in pve the puppet gets stuck behind doors
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dualisticdualistic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm finding my temptation warlock absolutely awsome, decent damage but amazing heals, as long you've got things to hit you can keep a group going through anything.
    I'm outhealing DC's with almost twice my gs, and it's not even close. But i wonder how much of that is just empty, inflated numbers.
    Would love to hear from someone who's done some of the harder dungeons.
  • Options
    snykisnyki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22
    edited August 2014
    dualistic wrote: »
    I'm finding my temptation warlock absolutely awsome, decent damage but amazing heals, as long you've got things to hit you can keep a group going through anything.
    I'm outhealing DC's with almost twice my gs, and it's not even close. But i wonder how much of that is just empty, inflated numbers.
    Would love to hear from someone who's done some of the harder dungeons.
    So i have the same observation like u,i am 54lvl atm and i healed every dungeon/skirmish so far and i can pretty sure its not just empty,inflated numbers since u can pretty much see the difference when someone is at half HP and u can top him with just one WE.So far my biggest numbers are aroun 10k ish heals with WE adn FB and 20k with the Hell gate daily,so i am pretty sure warlock can main heal since DC are about mitigation buffs etc. and warlock is about burst heal+some sustain with the DT and the lesser curse dots.
    P.S sorry for the bad english.Also i did Spellplague caverns today with full epics guildie Cleric and some random dudes and like u i outhealed him with about 1.5m ish.
  • Options
    dualisticdualistic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The heals really are amazing, temptation locks are acually full fledged healers. I managed to keep my groups up just fine when i was the only healer during acouple of runs of FH and CoK.
    I never expected to be more than a novelty supporter but we can easily stand in for a DC
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hearing we can full on heal has got me excited, i was disappointed when I heard lock could not raid heal i stopped playing. Back on the exp train I have some people to heal YE HAAAAAAAAAW
  • Options
    beuowolf24beuowolf24 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Gonna treat Cha like a secondary stats the crits nice But the armor pen and recharge from int seem better and the dmg from Con and the hp is just better all around.

Thanks for your posts and thorough overview of the SW. I am looking to go Damnation with my SW but have not been able to find Power tree path or feat path anywhere. Do you happen to have one you recommend?

Thank you

Mesopatomia
  • Options
    linkingirl86linkingirl86 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hi voltomey,

It's me again :P as always your guides are awesome, can i add this guide to mmominds.com???
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hi voltomey,

It's me again :P as always your guides are awesome, can i add this guide to mmominds.com???

sure yes you can post it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am looking to respec for the second time and can't decide on which to choose.

I picked T4 Devestating Critical for crit severity, which leaves me with two points since I'm not human. Is it worth having only 2% in Blood Pact or would it be better to max out T3 Determined Casting for more recovery? Right now with between 3/5 and 5/5 determined casting is only .3 seconds. Or should I just dump Devestating Critical? 95% just seems tasty even without a vorpal enchant.

Edit: For temptation build
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    sinfected13sinfected13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Im using damnation and enjoying it, now i dont plan on doing alot of PvP, i do a lot of soloing, but has anyone trying damnation in a group dungeon?

Also what weapon enchant are people using for what spec?
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Gonna treat Cha like a secondary stats the crits nice But the armor pen and recharge from int seem better and the dmg from Con and the hp is just better all around.

****, I was thinking of that with my first Warlock (Dragonborn) as I prefer not to do the obvious. But I went for CON and CHA instead, with final score of CON 25, INT 15, CHA 25.

Still, I think ArPen is easier to stack than Crit and has lower diminishing returns. And I always seem to get more Dark enchants than Azure.

I can always make a CON, INT Warlock with a Tiefling, I suppose.

Or another Dragonborn. But I think the racial bonuses like Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath might be better for a dps Fury. Dragon Heritage and Dragonborn Fury might be better for a Temptation Warlock.

But I already have 4 DCs :(

I really fancy the idea of a Halfling Damnation Puppet Master. Do you think that would work well? They have a bonus to DEX and either CON or CHA, though. But the DEX bonus might work if I stack Deflection. There seems to be a lot of Green gear with Deflection on it.

Cheers!

~
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ****, I was thinking of that with my first Warlock (Dragonborn) as I prefer not to do the obvious. But I went for CON and CHA instead, with final score of CON 25, INT 15, CHA 25.

Still, I think ArPen is easier to stack than Crit and has lower diminishing returns. And I always seem to get more Dark enchants than Azure.

I can always make a CON, INT Warlock with a Tiefling, I suppose.

Or another Dragonborn. But I think the racial bonuses like Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath might be better for a dps Fury. Dragon Heritage and Dragonborn Fury might be better for a Temptation Warlock.

But I already have 4 DCs :(

I really fancy the idea of a Halfling Damnation Puppet Master. Do you think that would work well? They have a bonus to DEX and either CON or CHA, though. But the DEX bonus might work if I stack Deflection. There seems to be a lot of Green gear with Deflection on it.

Cheers!

~

Funny thing is i rerolled my race back to tiefling and did the same thing high Con and Crit Crit was becoming just to much a hassle for me to stack over power or armor pen. i am gonna post my finale build today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Funny thing is i rerolled my race back to tiefling and did the same thing high Con and Crit Crit was becoming just to much a hassle for me to stack over power or armor pen. i am gonna post my finale build today

Could you say something about which Heroic feats are best for each Paragon path?

There seem to be so many which are actually useful, I can't decide which ones to choose. especially when compared with a DC's heroic feats.

Cheers!
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Got my templock to 60 and ran a few things here and there. New quests are a breeze and healing in groups really makes you feel like you're doing more than just the typical button mashing dps. This class is just too freaking fun! My advice? Play now while you still can, something this good is bound to get nerfed into oblivion. Drink up laddies! Drink up while we still can!
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kargister wrote: »
    Got my templock to 60 and ran a few things here and there. New quests are a breeze and healing in groups really makes you feel like you're doing more than just the typical button mashing dps. This class is just too freaking fun! My advice? Play now while you still can, something this good is bound to get nerfed into oblivion. Drink up laddies! Drink up while we still can!

You dont know how true your statement really is, they've buggered around with so many classes and achieved what?

It's a continuous game of lets reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Could you say something about which Heroic feats are best for each Paragon path?

There seem to be so many which are actually useful, I can't decide which ones to choose. especially when compared with a DC's heroic feats.

Cheers!
    I agree they designed a class where almost every feat is usfull
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I agree they designed a class where almost every feat is usfull

I hope they do something about the DC. The way they have done the Warlock for DPS, Life Steal or Soul Puppet Master makes so much sense.

The DC Paragons should be more like:

DPS/DEBUFF
    TANK/BUFF/DEBUFF
    SUPER HEALER/BUFF

As much as I like the Warlock, they should not be able to out-heal a Cleric.

Energising Curse - does that actually increase AP by 30% when using At Wills? So instead of 1 unit of AP, you actually get 1.3 units per hit? Some of those types for the DC are just dreadful and do not work as I'd hope.

Is Determined Casting worth having for 10% Encounter Cool down?

I really fancy the idea of Shadow Fold, so I can scoot around 10% more and avoid GWFs. But that's 5 ranks I could put elsewhere.

I already spent 5k AD to respec her Feats. And I still cannot decide what Paragon I want! She's only level 23, but has not had to drink a single healing potion yet. Not in PvE, anyway!

I wish I had 10 million AD and a dozen retraining tokens!

~
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wish I had 10 million AD and a dozen retraining tokens!

~
    Copy to the test shard, and run a muck! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Copy to the test shard, and run a muck! :)

How do yo do that?

And do you get unlimited funds for testing a build?
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How do yo do that?

Instructions for getting on Preview here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?330011-Welcome-to-NeverwinterPreview!

Preview offers the full respec tokens for free in it's custom Zen store.

Enjoy. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How do yo do that?

The link in post #89 has all the right directions, so kudos to twilightwatchman! :)

You don't have unlimited funds, you have to make your own AD. However, the economy is much more barter oriented, hell... When I am running around and see people low geared, I stop and just give them Rank 10s, as it will help their testing. Cause why the hell not, right? lol

Also respecs for Powers/Feats are FREE on the test shard, that's the key! ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Something to point out... Dreadtheft isn't as amazing as it looks upfront. Its 10-12 second cooldown timer is misleading and should read as something like 10-20 seconds, as during the 6 seconds when it is casting the ability itself does not cooldown. So in an ideal situation when you get the full 6 seconds out of it you will have it cast for 16 seconds (assuming decent gear). Those 6 seconds always have to be added on unless the ability gets interrupted as they have no cooldown and thus they must also be taken into account when directly comparing Dreadtheft to any other ability when considering something for a particular slot. Those 6 seconds mean you can get roughly 1.5 of another ability out for every 1 cast of Dreadtheft. Added to that within those 6 seconds you can spam at will/use more then 1 ability, making it more underwhelming then it first appears.