Server outage 8/28/14

Comments

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    akromatik wrote: »

We're on it, sit tight folks!

Thank you for your patience.

*grabs fire extinguisher*

Any ETA for server-up that a <PW> might give us?
    if it's at least 2 hours I won't bother waiting ... any information containing actual content would be appreciated!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    Umm.. the launcher itself... has a red light in upper left corner when off and Green when up..

For a long time it showed green in the beginning, but now it seems to be correct again...
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • maicakatmaicakat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Per Twitter page it looks like another 45 minutes estimated
  • nd47nd47 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have always been wondering about that one. Mathematically or logically it doesn't just make any sense, although mathematically it should be YYYYMMDD, but for convenience I can understand the european way of faster changing numbers to be first, but the US system is just weird...

It's because in conversation, someone usually says (using this example), "August the twenty-eighth, two thousand and fourteen," or some slight variant of that. In writing this was usually rendered as Aug 28, 2014; the format used online keeps the sequence and simply converts the month into a number.
  • vinnievoidvinnievoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Server just crashed

yes server went down.. sent ticket and got email back " too many tickets sent about problem. someone from support will get back to you". I'm guessing alot of people got similar emails:(
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Europe is still backwards hence why they are always confused. :D
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have always been wondering about that one. Mathematically or logically it doesn't just make any sense, although mathematically it should be YYYYMMDD, but for convenience I can understand the european way of faster changing numbers to be first, but the US system is just weird...

Usually it gets confusing when the date is less than 13th, in which case it is really hard to know which one is month and day if unsure of the standard. Sigh, when could the US join the global metric-system and get out of the Dark Ages...

It is written as it is spoken.
    We would say "It is August Twenty-Eighth, Two Thousand and Fourteen" here, rather than "It is the Twenty Eighth of August, Two Thousand and Fourteen", as I assume it would be said in other parts of the World.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Usually it gets confusing when the date is less than 13th, in which case it is really hard to know which one is month and day if unsure of the standard. Sigh, when could the US join the global metric-system and get out of the Dark Ages...
    Hey I like the metric system but your date format is weird. The american date format just follows the same format as conversation. If someone was to ask you what the date was you might respond with say an August twenty-eighth, or September first. You don't respond with a twenty-eighth of August in modern casual language.
  • triangledmtriangledm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's PW, isn't it? "Set it and forget it." All their best people are always building their next game and abandon the poor souls left to maintain things.

On the US dates: It's so backwards that even our own military doesn't use it. They get DD-MM-YYYY, the rest of us get MM-DD-YYYY. So, it's not even internally consistent.
  • ariakaituariakaitu Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2014
    01:20 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA) I received notice that it might not be for another hour. I fear the Boredom will not wait that long. I put the metal rod in place. It goes in the middle of the door, at about waist height. Surely it can't move both, by the time it gets one i should, i hope, be able to get it back in place. It tried to distract me with the doorbell. it appeared to look like my neighbor, but i acted like i wasn't home just in case. I wasn't going to open my door and let the Boredom slip in.
  • damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is the transcript of a conversation between the Neverwinter Online Dragon Server and an Elder Fire Elemental in August, 2014. Following conversation released by the Neverwinter Online Press under the Freedom of Information Act.

Neverwinter Online Dragon Server: Please Log in with your account details to play the game.

Elder Fire Elemental: I recommend you Log me in with your account details so I can play the game.

Neverwinter Online Dragon Server: I am the Server for Neverwinter Online. You Log in with your details or you won't be able to play the game.

Elder Fire Elemental: No. I say again, you Log me in with your account details so I can play the game.

Neverwinter Online Dragon Server: This is the Neverwinter Online Dragon Server, I am the only server for the entire Neverwinter Online MMO. Without me, the game will not function and players will not be able to play. I control who can Log on and who can not. If you want to play this game then you need to Log in using your account details. If you don't Log in using your account details then you will be unable to play the game and, in order to protect this game, your account may be banned.

Elder Fire Elemental: I'm an Elder Fire Elemental. Your call.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    It is written as it is spoken.
    We would say "It is August Twenty-Eighth, Two Thousand and Fourteen" here, rather than "It is the Twenty Eighth of August, Two Thousand and Fourteen", as I assume it would be said in other parts of the World.

Well two thousand and fourteen is actually wrong as the "and" implies a decimal space, it would be proper to say it two thousand fourteen if we were to use words but by that point most sane people just use numbers ;)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Hey I like the metric system but your date format is weird. The american date format just follows the same format as conversation. If someone was to ask you what the date was you might respond with say an August twenty-eighth, or September first. You don't respond with a twenty-eighth of August in modern casual language.

Depends on the language. Some languages have the day first.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • alansweetalansweet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes.
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    nd47 wrote: »
    It's because in conversation, someone usually says (using this example), "August the twenty-eighth, two thousand and fourteen," or some slight variant of that. In writing this was usually rendered as Aug 28, 2014; the format used online keeps the sequence and simply converts the month into a number.

Not sure about the US people I know, since it has been a while since I spoke with them, but every english speaking person I have been talking to lately uses the european (or metric) way of saying "28th of August 2014", and I think the last US person I spoke with was talking also the european way, but that could be learned habit from stay. Anyways atleast here written language is completely separate from spoken language and there are many rules how you write things that wouldn't make much sense in speech or would make it kinda stucky. Anyways I could understand that if they used letters to dictate month, but with numbers that makes things really confusing and logically as well as mathematically outright wrong.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well two thousand and fourteen is actually wrong as the "and" implies a decimal space, it would be proper to say it two thousand fourteen if we were to use words but by that point most sane people just use numbers ;)

Which is why I, of course, do not;)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited August 2014

some people say twenty fourteen as well
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ariakaitu wrote: »
    01:20 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA) I received notice that it might not be for another hour. I fear the Boredom will not wait that long. I put the metal rod in place. It goes in the middle of the door, at about waist height. Surely it can't move both, by the time it gets one i should, i hope, be able to get it back in place. It tried to distract me with the doorbell. it appeared to look like my neighbor, but i acted like i wasn't home just in case. I wasn't going to open my door and let the Boredom slip in.

these log entries have been by far the most entertaining thing I have read on the forums in months.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »

I am partial to the metric system myself, but, I grew up on imperial, so changing for me would be difficult at best. Not to mention everyone I know and talk to uses imperial. I try to convert to metric for some of my friends that don't live in the US.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I prefer YYYYMMDD format -- it sorts correctly chronologically. (Edit: that is, when sorting things based on text or, for example, file name).

(Edit: I'm in the US)
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »
    these log entries have been by far the most entertaining thing I have read on the forums in months.

Thank you ^.^ its keeping me entertained... glad it is for you as well
  • phr33d0m123phr33d0m123 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's the American dating system. I know that EU uses DD/MM/YY. USA uses MM/DD/YY format.

I know that. I was trying to pour some irony in here.

Just a suggestion here: as the community is international (from all over the world) could you just STOP (YEAH PLS STOP!!!) using the American dating system and switch to something more universal like "May 23, 2014" or "23-May-2014"?

I'm saying this as I've read some old posts here that sometimes mention dd/mm/yyyy and sometimes mm/dd/yyyy and refering to 05/03/2013 makes it impossible to decipher.

Thanks.
  • shatteredspoonshatteredspoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    22.28(maybe) GMT (Sweden) I haven't finished my dailies yet. The bitter feelings of regret are eating at me. Why do I bother with a social life?
    I could have been a god! I fear that Boredom has found my open window. I can feel its precense. This thread is the only thing that keeps me going.. But where am I heading? Will Boredom consume me before I get to slay another dragon? Will I ever get to upgrade my artifacts?
    Another day will dawn and my dailies will be lost forever.
    Add a drop of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it~
  • robin195robin195 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    it doesn't matter which format you say it in, they wont even notice
  • hivercidehivercide Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014

As someone who grew up with the American system, I find it to be a lot easier to use...why doesn't the rest of the world use our MUCH better system instead?? "Tongue firmly in cheek, don't try taking me seriously"
  • krypwalkkrypwalk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you ^.^ its keeping me entertained... glad it is for you as well

~where's the 'LIKE' button when you need it
  • shatteredspoonshatteredspoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »

I know right! :D
    Add a drop of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it~
  • yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    12:30 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA no luck logging into server. Outlook bleak. will check back soon. Should note, if this is found without me, i have died of boredom

12:35 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA Still no luck. I fear i hear the empty howling of the Boredom circling outside. I don't know how much longer i can keep it at bay. It sounds huge. Terrifying when it runs it's massive appendages over my door. The only thing that will keep it at bay indefinitely is the message on my screen changing. The login server is what can save me from this terrifying beast. Will keep you updated if i can.

12:40 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA The beast, Boredom, has managed to break a small shard of my sliding glass window. It keeps trying to thread one of its appendages through the hole it's made, but i have been forcing it back outside with a broom handle. It's starting to get smart though. I fear it's learning. It almost got the lock once, when i looked away to grab something to drink. Right now, its between me, and Boredom. I must win this one. Im cooking Pot Roast for dinner. Can't die without having Pot Roast. Will check back soon.

12:45 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA I have placed the wooden rod from my closet in the door track. It broke the lock and was slowly forcing the door open. It doesn't appear to have any massive strength, more like a droplet of water bearing down on the same exact spot countless times. It seems to wear away at things. The rod should hold the door in place for a while, though i fear the hole in the glass has gotten larger. Someone, Anyone, if you find this, tell my Boyfriend i love him.

12:50 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA) Boredom seems to have disappeared for the moment. I think it lays in wait, hoping i will go outside to check. I'm smarter than that. I will stay here and update my journal. For fun, i went and measured the hole in the glass. it has gotten bigger, didn't need to measure it to tell. Before i could barely fit my finger into the hole, now, my palm barely covers it. There's a decaying, fetid odor outside, coming on the breeze. I believe that's wafting off Boredom. If i press my face against the glass and look to the right, i can almost see it pressing against the side of the house, like it's trying to enter the living room through osmosis. Thank god Physics apply to it.

12:55 pm PST (Moses Lake, WA, USA) I keep an eye on the spare screen i hooked up. The message is unchanging. "Connecting to the login server. Please wait ..." Other than having to type my access code in, that is the constant. Boredom is worrying at the hole again. If i concentrate hard enough, i swear it has eyes and a mouth... or what could pass as a mouth. Perhaps its like those dementers i read about in those Potter books. Perhaps the Boredom sucks your soul out with its maw, leaving you alive, but devoid of happiness, cheer, and any thought process beyond basic life giving functions.

i giggled.
  • unapologetic1unapologetic1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We have gotten off topic.
  • kazimscumlingkazimscumling Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can only play this game once or twice a week thanks to my girlfriend and every time there is either a maintenance or a server crush. I started to suspect she has something to do with this.
This discussion has been closed.