test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you read the quest text?

2»

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really like the voice-overs. So, since the poll asks if I *read* them I vote "First time through" - but I like that the voice over keeps playing and I'll actively listen to that as I travel toward the quest beginning or objective on every (alt) replay through.

As for the the options - you could mash options 1 and 2 together and leave the zergers (option 3) separate and the poll (as it is at my writing this) is not very accurate according to votes and comments I get in my Foundry Quest (Blacklake Luskan is a featured quest) - in all those reviews the zergers are obvious: 1 or 2 stars because it required reading (it really does and they really say this is the reason they 'hate' it). Those are literally about 3 or 4 in 100.

It's actually quite funny to read all those "I had to read so 1 star!!!ONE!1!!1"
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really like the voice-overs. So, since the poll asks if I *read* them I vote "First time through" - but I like that the voice over keeps playing and I'll actively listen to that as I travel toward the quest beginning or objective on every (alt) replay through.

As for the the options - you could mash options 1 and 2 together and leave the zergers (option 3) separate and the poll (as it is at my writing this) is not very accurate according to votes and comments I get in my Foundry Quest (Blacklake Luskan is a featured quest) - in all those reviews the zergers are obvious: 1 or 2 stars because it required reading (it really does and they really say this is the reason they 'hate' it). Those are literally about 3 or 4 in 100.

It's actually quite funny to read all those "I had to read so 1 star!!!ONE!1!!1"

I don't know, the ratio's are probably right even though you only get 3% zerger's in your foundry considering that most zergers or semi-zergers avoid the foundry with the exception of "farm" quests.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Never, spamming 1 FTW.
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to admit it but I've played Neverwinter since day one of open beta and I have no clue wtf is going on , something about Valindra and a Dragon xD
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014

http://cdn.mhpbooks.com/uploads/2013/04/egon.jpg

Sorry.
    Couldn't resist ;)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    First time through, now I spam 11111111.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a reasonably good memory and I like playing each character type, so I read completely the first couple of times, to make sure I didn't miss anything, then I scan after the third or forth time to make sure I'm where I think I am... but then, I'm one of those who re-reads paperbacks, too.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    The first time thru
    I always read them through the first time. Any content that is solo-able, I will also always run it solo the first time on at least my main two characters, 'Old Zeb' and Daxx Dae'Vesh. After that, I'll usually only re-read them if I was wondering about something in particular.

However, most of the time while I am soloing, I'll listen to the voice over dialog before leaving the vicinity of the NPC. I love great voice over acting and Neverwinter does it well.
  • elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only lore I make any attempt to absorb is Bioware lore, so no, I usually don't read quest text. I skim for relevant information to help me proceed.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wish you had a sometimes option. Often the first time through. Sometimes I will or won't depending on circumstances and how good the quest plot is.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I read through the quests on my first run through. I found out, that you actually get more story from this game just reading through your lore book then from any quest npc. I generally play close attention to the race/class quests.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "You want hear Gurth's life story? Gurth will indulge."

My vote was for the first time, but it's more like the first time and as many subsequent times as I feel like or will enjoy it.

I'm not an MMO player though. I arrived here from CRPGs and ARPGs.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • eryndeleryndel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pretty much the same as above.
    I've always read/listened the first time through.
    Usually, the subsequent times, I'll skip to accept, and let the voice over trail off. Especially if it's a daily I've numerous times before.
    Occasionally a quest will compel me to read/listen again. The Demilich quests are a good example of that.
    Also, if it's been a while, I'll redo it all over again if I have the time. For instance, it's been since about the beginning of Mod3 since I've leveled an alt, so when Mod4 drops, I'll probably start off reading (or at least listening) to all the quests when I roll my warlock.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pretty Psyched actually, I wasn't going to buy the Dragonborn pack. However I seen this...

Race Change Token

What good is unlocking Dragonborn if your existing characters can’t come along for the ride? Be born anew with a Race Change Token! Using this token will allow you to change the race of an existing character, while keeping their level and all the riches they’ve acquired along the way. This item can only be used once per account.

I can't wait to change my GF into a Dragonborn, the 3% power 3% crit and 5% more healing on my Shieldbash is going to be legit!!!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    how much will the token cost?
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    how much will the token cost?

You have to buy the pack right now its $75 buck arrrrg.

Supposed to be $99
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not only did I read everything "the first time thru" but I actually listened to their cheesy overacting voiceovers!!! And I liked IT.

Needless to say, my party-leveling buddies were madly disappointed.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In ordinary quests there's an automatic option to listen to the quest-giver while going forward.

Reading is time-consuming and post-60LVL is not really adequate, more so when in a party with someone. Reading is time-consuming, makes people sleepy and with non adjustable font size it's not really the thing. That aside, there's NOTHING wrong with the actual texts and quests written. That's an amazing job and that the characters have the voice acting adds more to the overall feeling.

Still, reading the quests and having to listen to the quest-givers would be more viable if this was a single-player game where the clock doesn't tick and prices don't increase every week.

I simply press M, see where's the location, read the quest title and due to the experience I know where's the next one going and what needs to be taken.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language