Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• Options
    myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited July 2014
    Correct.
    /10char

Thank you for the clarification. :)

(oh and the sound... please, it annoys everyone ! :p)
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Normal
    Before
    R1 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 0%
    R2 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 5%
    R3 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 10%

After
    R1 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 25%
    R2 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 30%
    R3 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 35%

Spell Mastery
    Before
    R1 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 42.5, Unstable 2: 5%
    R2 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 45, Unstable 2: 10%
    R3 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 47.5, Unstable 2: 15%

After
    R1 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 60%, Unstable 2: 40%
    R2 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 62.5%, Unstable 2: 45%
    R3 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 65%, Unstable 2: 50%

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity.

This is an amazing change.

Thank you for being so responsive.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Excellent news about Shield! Definitely worth testing out!

Please would you pull any data you can get to see what feats aren't rarely beings used, and consider reworking them? I imagine these are hardly used: Battlewise (intended to be PvE only?) and Arcane Presence (Calculator needed to figure out effect?) and Storm Fury (like a bacon sandwich with no bacon)
  • Options
    faerbotfaerbot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the shield buff it will finally reduce the focusing of cws in pvp I hope or make it absolutely necessary. Will also allow us to contest nodes vs permas. Nice change. It will be a mandatory slot now.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    davecheese wrote: »
    Please would you pull any data you can get to see what feats aren't rarely beings used, and consider reworking them? I imagine these are hardly used: Battlewise (intended to be PvE only?) and Arcane Presence (Calculator needed to figure out effect?) and Storm Fury (like a bacon sandwich with no bacon)

I'd like to add Maelstrom of Chaos to this list, despite it's not a feat. This daily feels worthless for me, even more for a paragon path daily.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    I'd like to add Maelstrom of Chaos to this list, despite it's not a feat. This daily feels worthless for me, even more for a paragon path daily.

Maelstrom of Chaos is such a dumpster fire that I'm not sure where they would begin in trying to make it viable. It has more bugs than any three other powers put together. The running list of its worthlessness is: it cannot crit under any circumstances, receives no bonus damage from power, receives no bonus damage from Intelligence, receives no damage boosts from any feats, receives no damage boost from any passive class features like Evocation and Arcane Mastery, and it does less damage, has a smaller AoE, worse control and hits fewer targets than Oppressive Force.

Other than that it's just ducky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we have been looking at how Shield functions and we think it is diminishing too fast and that makes slotting it feel too frustrating most of the time so we are imrpoving it dramatically. This should drastically improve wizard survivability while it is slotted which should provide a substantive PVP and PVE buff.

This change should hit this week barring anything going wrong.

Control Wizard: Shield: Shield will now diminish to 50% effectiveness while fully Destabilized at Rank 1. Each additional Rank will reduce the total amount of Destabilization your Shield can suffer. Grants 5% Control Resist per rank while slotted in spell mastery.

I will clarify this since I don't want the actual patch note to get too wordy (despite being a bit confusing).

At all ranks Shield while stable (undamaged) absorbs 50% of incoming damage after your damage resistance.
    It then is Destabilized, which reduces its effectiveness. So here are the before and afters!

Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity. Because who doesn't like that?

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but we just lost a huge chunk of damage.
    Could you look at combing heroic feats so our dmg isn't spread out by arcane, cold, single target, ae into 1 feat. 2/4/6%. My recommendation is a few pages back. Pg 50 at 640
  • Options
    relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maelstrom of Chaos : this spell should be totally reworked. I mean: totally, like wiped from existence and replaced by something else. To cons list I'd add long casting time. I wonder how devs will solve this: MoC while interrupted or cancelled eats up 50% of Action Points. The new dodge mechanics will allow us to cancel casting and re-cast at earliest convenience. I don't loose Action Points doing that with Oppressive Force or Arcane singu. But we won't be able to cancel MoC 'course it will consume half of our AP. Adds to how damaging this daily is (damaging to CW who'd choose to use it).

Why not replace it by AoE of Oppressive force range power, that would electrocute whomever gets caught in. Can be DoT damage + brief 2 s immobilize, can be three major lightnings from the sky + daze. At this point even frog rain seams more appealing then current Maelstrom of Chaos.

As for shield: I'm happy to hear that and more then eager to test it. Thanks for some hope.

And please pay some attention to renegade tree. Some people stated renegade buffs should be party-wise not only self-buffs. That would give renegade CW something to build upon since we won't outdps thaumas and outcontroll oppressors. We can at least offer group buffs.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    relativity wrote: »
    Maelstrom of Chaos : this spell should be totally reworked. I mean: totally, like wiped from existence and replaced by something else. To cons list I'd add long casting time. I wonder how devs will solve this: MoC while interrupted or cancelled eats up 50% of Action Points. The new dodge mechanics will allow us to cancel casting and re-cast at earliest convenience. I don't loose Action Points doing that with Oppressive Force or Arcane singu. But we won't be able to cancel MoC 'course it will consume half of our AP. Adds to how damaging this daily is (damaging to CW who'd choose to use it).

Why not replace it by AoE of Oppressive force range power, that would electrocute whomever gets caught in. Can be DoT damage + brief 2 s immobilize, can be three major lightnings from the sky + daze. At this point even frog rain seams more appealing then current Maelstrom of Chaos.

As for shield: I'm happy to hear that and more then eager to test it. Thanks for some hope.

And please pay some attention to renegade tree. Some people stated renegade buffs should be party-wise not only self-buffs. That would give renegade CW something to build upon since we won't outdps thaumas and outcontroll oppressors. We can at least offer group buffs.

Acutally the main attraction with MoC is the fact that we take 80% less damage (From memory, it could just increase flat DR% I cannot remember the exact word) and makes us Control Immune. Interestingly as well, this daily will remove any CC effects except for Prones when you activate as well. You can channel for two seconds and then dodge out.

I have used to great effect to burst / CC chains. Also, if specced for Severe Reaction it pretty much guarentees that you will have a full stamina bar to then dodge with.

It can also be used to pull people off node with the knockback and small prone.

It certainly has its place as a defensive Daily in PvP, however, IK and OF are 9/10 times better for competitive play.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we have been looking at how Shield functions and we think it is diminishing too fast and that makes slotting it feel too frustrating most of the time so we are imrpoving it dramatically. This should drastically improve wizard survivability while it is slotted which should provide a substantive PVP and PVE buff.

Control Wizard: Shield: Shield will now diminish to 50% effectiveness while fully Destabilized at Rank 1. Each additional Rank will reduce the total amount of Destabilization your Shield can suffer. Grants 5% Control Resist per rank while slotted in spell mastery.

I will clarify this since I don't want the actual patch note to get too wordy (despite being a bit confusing).

At all ranks Shield while stable (undamaged) absorbs 50% of incoming damage after your damage resistance.
    It then is Destabilized, which reduces its effectiveness. So here are the before and afters!

Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity. Because who doesn't like that?

Crush, I must say you guys are on a roll. This change in Shield is simply awesome and I have been imagining of how much better a CW would be if it were a little more tankier. This pretty much solves the CWs tankiness problem.

The CW will have to choose if he wishes to sacrifice 1 encounter slot he could have used for DPS, for a boost in DR. It's just awesome. Oppressor users will love this change as it will add more defensive utilities to the CW. What's more is that the CW will get tankier in terms of CC resist as well. 15% CC resistance is nothing to scoff at for sure, specially when it's additive to Tenacity.

I love these upcoming changes, overall. :o Thank you very much!
  • Options
    fgmfanhafgmfanha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Got a question!

So at rank 3 the shield at its most unstable state in spell mastery mastery will be like a "little CW unstopable"? :) (without the full cc immunity.)
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Focused Wizardry

Focused Wizardry does not increase the damage of Repel (not on tab) and Ray of Enfeeblement. Also it does not change the tooltip of Icy Rays.

Focused Wizardry confirmed to work correctly with all other single target powers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

Hey GC, This looks positively amazing! And I am super keen to test it all out. One quick question:

How will the Control Resistance function whilst the shield is unstable / destabilized? Will the 15% bonus be active the entire time? Or will it also be reduced when the shield is unstable?

Thanks in advance!
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I played a CW since BETA both PvE and PvP and here are the powers I would never consider using because they suck compared to the others.

Stormfury - Storm spell is a way better choice. Maybe add a chance to stun? So it does less damage but gives more control than Storm spell?

Maelstrom of Chaos - Take to long to land and does way less damage than oppressive force/Ice knife and Singularity has way more control. Needs a complete rework.

Chilling Presence - To little damage compared to Eye of the Storm, Storm spell and now the buffed Orb of Imposition.

Arcane Presence - Same as above

Ice Storm - Easy to dodge and spreads out all enemies and takes long to land. And now wont gain extra chill with Oppressor. Needs a rework.

And then we have some powers that I feel need a buff in PvP:

Ice Knife - Way to easy to dodge. Its easy to dodge even on live.

Chill strike - Would be nice to add an extra chill stack on this. Its slow and can be dodged, would be nice with some extra control. Before it was good with Oppressor because of 3 chill stacks.

Icy Terrain - This one I never liked, but in M4 this might be more useful. BUT, I think it needs a little bigger radius like Thorn ward.

Icy Rays - Needs a fix for when you mark the enemy and he walks out of the range, it resets the cooldown.

Shard of the Endless Avalanche - The explosion needs a 30-60% damage buff when TABBED for PvP. Also needs to fix the bug when it often wont explode when it should.

Shield - I like the new buff but I would like a stun to enemies on "explode".
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    feedback Storm Pillar: When load to full and released without a target, the lighting are followed behind invisible objects
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When you take damage your shield "destabilizes". That is the graphical effect you see changing. It takes 6 seconds of being undamaged to stabilize again. The spell mastery version can be destabilized twice and takes 6 seconds to regain each rank of stability.

NICE rework! This was one ability I always thought lackluster for CWs.

So just to clarify.

A CW slotting this in mastery has this:

So its first at 80% DR AFTER CWs DR - so its its own layer like tenacity or the new GF block.

So they are hit and basically take VERY little damage, but now its destabilized once. Hit again and take slightly more damage, now its at unstable 2:50%.

Will DoTs or weapon enchants reset the 6 seconds? Or is this actual hits?

They kite around for 6 seconds then its back up to STABLE or Unstable 1?

Seems like this has alot of potential for PVP expecially
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey GC, This looks positively amazing! And I am super keen to test it all out. One quick question:

How will the Control Resistance function whilst the shield is unstable / destabilized? Will the 15% bonus be active the entire time? Or will it also be reduced when the shield is unstable?

Thanks in advance!

While you have the shield toggled on and it is in the mastery slot this will work. If you pop the shield for the damage and push it will deactivate, same as the damage resistance.

ayroux wrote: »
    NICE rework! This was one ability I always thought lackluster for CWs.

So just to clarify.

A CW slotting this in mastery has this:

So its first at 80% DR AFTER CWs DR - so its its own layer like tenacity or the new GF block.

So they are hit and basically take VERY little damage, but now its destabilized once. Hit again and take slightly more damage, now its at unstable 2:50%.

Will DoTs or weapon enchants reset the 6 seconds? Or is this actual hits?

They kite around for 6 seconds then its back up to STABLE or Unstable 1?

Seems like this has alot of potential for PVP expecially

They go back up to unstable 1. 6 seconds for each layer of stability. And any damage should trigger the shield.
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Magic Missile: With the reduced damage and no addition of a new buff/debuff/aoe component, the main function of Magic Missile is just to stack Arcane Mastery. Please allow the ability to add 1 stack of Arcane Mastery per hit, rather than 1 stack per full rotation. The CW class currently has way more abilities, feats, and features that apply or synergize with Chill than Arcane Mastery.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While you have the shield toggled on and it is in the mastery slot this will work. If you pop the shield for the damage and push it will deactivate, same as the damage resistance.

They go back up to unstable 1. 6 seconds for each layer of stability. And any damage should trigger the shield.

Thanks for the responses!

Id be very interested to see how it works, since small things like a bilethorn enchant would make this almost never reach even Unstable 1. But I guess overall its a major DR boost to CWs running shield - So even if it works this way, its still a HUGE boost.

I can see the synergy piling up!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm afraid Magic Missile will be unusable.

One thing that makes me want to try to avoid Oppressor and control in general is because it uses Cold damage as the main damage, while as a Wizard I enjoy the Arcane school the most :(
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    theace69theace69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the new shield sounds a much better step in the right direction - thanks
  • Options
    lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Your going to need the new shield.
    The cws damage has been hacked down so badly that you will need all the extra cc and shield to stay alive, while you run around waiting to cast multiple rotations of your encounters just to kill anything off.
    Maybe this will buy you enough time to run and find a TR or HR to kill them off for you.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Hey Crush,

Thanks for Clarifying.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This is an awesome change.
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey Crush,

Thanks for Clarifying.

Only while in Mastery.
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I had made a feedback post about this ability earlier but I don't think I was as clear as I could have been with what I was thinking of. For the skills damage nurf, I feel like there could be a better way to tone down the damage that it does, while still making in viable for some situations. The damage nurf that it was given was the overall damage, 60% or so on the explosion and 30% or so on the steamroll, which really nullifies the effectiveness of the ability as the number of targets diminish. In order to make this skill viable when there are fewer targets, I was thinking of changing the way it damages enemies by making the damage splash damage and removing the damage nurfs completely, or significantly reducing them. The way it would work is that in a 5 target senario, you currently hit 10k on every target, totaling 50k damage, which far surpasses any other encounter ability in the game to my limited knowledge. :P The way I was thinking, in a 5 target senario, you will be dealing 10k damage in total, and having that damage split evenly between the targets. The reason I think my idea would be good is because with most encounters, they usually max out at like 20k damage or so, unless you have some pretty good debuff's on the enemy. With the shard, you can potentially do 100-200k damage if there is enough enemies, which (being a cw) is really appealing, it in turn makes it inevitable that the damage is going to be nurfed. With this nurf aswell, the single target damage is severely affected, making the shard useless in a 1v1, pvp or pve.

Having the damage splash to all the enemies will also keep the encounter in line with the other encounter abilities slotted, aswell as the other encounter abilities from the other classes, to help keep CWs more in line with the other classes. In PvP, it will also help keep the damage at a use-able level, because right now the shard is under preforming all the other abilities in PvP, taking into account how difficult it is to actual use it effectively. With this damage re-work, you wouldn't even have to have any damage reductions on it because the damage will already be much lower on multiple targets and not stacking 100k+ damage like it can right now, making it less of a god-encounter and more of a level 50 encounter. It also will keep the damage higher in 1v1 senarios like in PvP keeping the damage good, at the same time as keeping it in line in PvE.
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    WTT shield for the damage back thanks lol never really used shield and find it a waste even if its buffed id rather cw's have their damage know it wont happen but yeah lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    WTT shield for the damage back thanks lol never really used shield and find it a waste even if its buffed id rather cw's have their damage know it wont happen but yeah lol

No. This shield change is amazing from a PvP perspective. This will add a bunch of survivability to CWs, who already desperately need it.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Can we change our Shard for the ARCANIST AOE POWER IN ICEWIND DALE?
  • Options
    seventhpillarseventhpillar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Since the Renegade capstone utilizes magic missile, it pretty much locks someone who chooses this path to be their main at-will. And because of how the damage is already being reduced, how about moving the reduction to the capstone so that those who choose to be in this tree will have the SAME effect that it has now on live. So essentially, a buff to keep it the same as now, to include the cooldown and damage.
This discussion has been closed.