test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter Feedback - Discussions

nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
Many PvP GWFs are Sentinel anyway and with the module 4 changes, probably even more will turn to Sentinel for survivability.

Sentinel even right now is extremely hard to kill and can hit very hard (in IV spec or with Tenebrous). It will become more obvious in Module 4 actually. Sentinel is a very tanky burst damage spec and not a constant damage dealer.

They are also great at keeping points contested.

I don't think Sentinels need any further buffs. Instigators do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Basically forces everyone back to Sentinel tree, dealing zero damage, having zero CC ability now. The issue with GWFs on live could have been delt with with a handful of the changes you guys implemented, not ALL of them.

If JUST the unstoppable change happened, that would probably still be a little overkill but id say Roar NEEDS to keep its 2 sec stun.

If you change roar+takedown stun + takedown nerf in damge+unstoppable recovery nerf - well thats probably ALL you needed to change honestly to make GWFs balanced.

You forget that HRs set get bugs, that roots no longer stuns. though they do seem to get some serious other buffs.

CWs cast times increased.

GFs and enemies GWFs lose prones (so you can trigger unstoppable more easily).

We have yet to see TR changes.

so its still too early to tell. I don't agree with the threatening rush change though, that one will hurt too much for GWFs (not as bad for GF because of their encounters)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    You forget that HRs set get bugs, that roots no longer stuns. though they do seem to get some serious other buffs.

CWs cast times increased.

GFs and enemies GWFs lose prones (so you can trigger unstoppable more easily).

We have yet to see TR changes.

so its still too early to tell. I don't agree with the threatening rush change though, that one will hurt too much for GWFs (not as bad for GF because of their encounters)

NO I didnt forget these things. Trust me im not just QQing about a nerf to a class, I have been an advocate of many things to my own classes.

The big issue I see - from someone who has played both sides - is that GWFs HEAVILY rely on ranged stuns/prones to just CATCH a target.

They rely HEAVILY on unstoppable to survive while other classes just kite them around.

you just removed BOTH of those features. Basically Destroyer is unplayable because of how squishy it is. Honestly 5-10% DR? basically its a GWF without unstoppable - see how fast they die.

So for Sentinels... Ok they keep unstoppable, takedown got a massive damage nerf, FLS got a massive prone nerf, they already had their teeth taken from them module 3.... So they do what now? Contest a node? Well they still arent HALF the contester the TR is, and I have a feeling a GF will hop over the GWF now for the #2 slot here as well if specced right.

Like I said... people complain about the damage a Destroyer can do, fine, nerf the damage. But if they cant DODGE hits, and now cant TAKE hits... what good are they in pvp?

If a Sentinel cant catch anything via prones and cant deal damage even when they can catch someone, what good are they in pvp?

I see TR becoming back as "top dog" due to perma TR cheese and HRs right behind them with all these actual buffs to the class... GFs seem like they may be VIABLE but its yet to be seen.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    germmaniac wrote: »
    I'd love to see Instigator made viable as well. But same goes for at least one feat tree completely neglected (read-more or less useless) for almost all the classes (Just how many active toons out there with Oppressor aor Instigator trees). Would be great to have more viable builds and diversity..provided it does not create disparity and imbalance.

There will probably be more Oppressors now though with the rework.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Haha

Destroyer: "I'm gana go Unstoppable!"

Becomes bigger and dies
  • Options
    cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Do the marks still go away when we're hit? Otherwise thats just a second of attention.
    They do.
    This is just too much. We have no means of mitigating damage and no reliable dodge. We are on the front lines soaking up damage with no real means to mitigate it now.
    We can't even run(GF). Lifesteal will keep you alive.
    Why was this change nessecary?
    That is mostly because of QQ.
    I hope this is GWF specific. Prones are the only thing keeping GF's even remotely relevant in pvp.
    It's not GWF specific. :( This change brings IV more in line with SM though.
    This better be GWF specific..cause unlike GWF, GF's have very little mobility as it is.
    It's not GWF specific. :( I don't think it will be a huge problem in PvP though.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They do.

We can't even run(GF). Lifesteal will keep you alive.

That is mostly because of QQ.

It's not GWF specific. :( This change brings IV more in line with SM though.

It's not GWF specific. :( I don't think it will be a huge problem in PvP though.

Lifesteal will not keep us alive. OUr skills are target capped at 5, unstoppable lowers our base damage from atwills. And GF's cant run but they have block which currently mitgates ALL damage and soon 80%+ damage.

It brings Ironvanguard inline for GWf's it hurts GF's more than it hurts GWF's for every change they do to Iron vanguard. GWf's have alternate methods of getting around.

GF's are limited in thier movement ability and Threatening rush suppliments that. They cant get around at will when they want. GWF's can at nearly any given time.
  • Options
    onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You guys and gals are funny. Many of you looked at the changes and cried foul rather than testing them. Go test the changes. The developers are looking for statistical information on the changes. This is a first pass, not a final cut. Do you not get that?

There will be changes to this before it goes live. The more you test it, the better the end result will be for everyone because the more statistically relevant it will be for the developers.

When I test things I like to see how far to push till it breaks. Some of these changes are like that. They want to see what effect it has when pushed to an extreme. Go test it.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    trollob wrote: »
    GWFs are supossed to fight body on body in PVE, and then you come with these changes affecting damage resistance when fighting against mobs. Can't imagine my GWF vs Bosses. Did you watch live stream today? One of you was playing with a GWF and well he was very satisfied by killing Karrundax when he died 15+ times. Go and test Castle Never, a real dungeon before doing some changes. Because if you keep testing class changes in Cloak Tower and Cragmire Crypts we won't be able to complete the real dungeons in future.

I can also imagine a GF using the new enforced threat in CN, with new blocking mechanic that leaves in 20% of the damage for you to take, they'll be dead long before their stamina runs out.

So I guess it's up to rangers to do the tanking...?
  • Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The whole world of PvP builds surrounds GWF right now. HR have high regen builds, TR have high regen builds, everyone is stacking defense because GWF. With the very very welcome Unstoppable nerf, we all can stop doing that and have much more variability.
    Oh no, GWF has to go tanky and land 150k crits instead of 160k.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    doctordarkspawndoctordarkspawn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lwedar wrote: »
    Experience on the preview shard. Took my TR and went 1v1 vs sent gwf. The tankiness is certainly still there. IBS hit me for ~15k after my DR. The sky isn't falling. They are still very very good.

We arennt personally concerned about PVP. No one is complaining about PVP. We're concerned about a GWF in a T2 dungion, as the change is blanket wide, not just PVP.
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We arennt personally concerned about PVP. No one is complaining about PVP. We're concerned about a GWF in a T2 dungion, as the change is blanket wide, not just PVP.[/QUOTE

I'm sure he was addressing people that were concerned with PVP. Alot of posts in this thread are talking about pvp.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    vteasy wrote: »
    We arennt personally concerned about PVP. No one is complaining about PVP. We're concerned about a GWF in a T2 dungion, as the change is blanket wide, not just PVP.[/QUOTE

I'm sure he was addressing people that were concerned with PVP. Alot of posts in this thread are talking about pvp.

Exactly. These changes we're made for PVP. All of it. Including the thing that, even the PVP'ers here, are against. That is my point.
  • Options
    rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The true test for PvE is going to be doing dungeon runs to see how the classes work with each other and what kind of party compositions are going to work best now or are at least viable.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    A lot of the changes they're making are for PvE. The CW changes in particular, but the GF and GWF changes are good for PvE too, at least if you look at it from the context of bringing the classes into line with each other.

And the general consensus, is that aside from everything with Unstoppable, these changes are good. Including my opinion. The unstoppable changes is where the backlash comes from.
  • Options
    ninefingers222ninefingers222 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Look at it this way, the unstoppable nerf is basically like nerfing TR's stealth from 10 seconds to 2 seconds, what world do the devs live in to think that is an acceptable change? you cant take the special ability of a class and divide it by 5 on a whim, the game was very close to being balanced, a damage nerf to GWF was in order, along with a survivability nerf to HR, giving more CC to CW, buffing GF etc, why not try balancing what you have already worked on, instead of rethinking and reworking everything, you guys have no idea how broken the balance will be if these changes go through, why just why?
    Essence of Aggression, OG PvP GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Look at it this way, the unstoppable nerf is basically like nerfing TR's stealth from 10 seconds to 2 seconds, what world do the devs live in to think that is an acceptable change? you cant take the special ability of a class and divide it by 5 on a whim, the game was very close to being balanced, a damage nerf to GWF was in order, along with a survivability nerf to HR, giving more CC to CW, buffing GF etc, why not try balancing what you have already worked on, instead of rethinking and reworking everything, you guys have no idea of how broken the balance will be if these changes go through, why just why?

This is essentially what every post is coming down to saying, in this thread, the CW thread and the GF thread.
  • Options
    germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    [*]Iron Vanguard: Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds.
    [/LIST]

[/LIST]

this power should have only 2 charges not 3 3 charges will not solve nothing gf and gwf will be still able to easy get to ppl in pvp

You are joking, correct? I am not even sure why an at will is limited to x number of charges. You might as well convert it into an encounter.
    I understand that GWFs get a mobility benefit from it (My main GWF is SM, btw, so I am unaffected by this) but hoping the GF isn't getting hit by this (although assuming it is). Ideally, they should have halved the distance of the rush to make it less mobility, but not limited how often it can be cast.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Yes, but I think people are overreacting very strongly to that. One of the things that set GFs and GWFs so far apart in balance terms was that the GWF's tab and shift abilities are in sum total so much better than the GF's. Nerfing Unstoppable a bit while boosting the GF's Mark a bit places them much closer together in balance terms, which is necessary because of the shared paragon paths (which was the original mistake, that they probably can't revoke).

In PvE, the combination of tankiness and damage simply made TRs and GFs obsolete when GWFs were better at both. And in PvP, the combination was just absurdly strong. Something had to give way, and Unstoppable is a logical choice for that, because it steals too much thunder from the GF.

Uhhh, It dident make them obsolete. A TR without the aggro still kills stupidly fast, but with no DR at low levels....

Look, the dude in scale shouldent be as squishy as the TR. We have. No. Other. Option. Like all other's have said. We have no dodge, we have no stuns, we have. This. And this is being nerfed to near no effectiveness. Once again, as all other's have said, 15-30 is reasonable. 5-10 is not. Even at high levels, you have to have an answer to all those big circles. The TR has stealth, the GF has a block, we have this, and no matter how you slice it, deminishing it hurt's us. Badly.

it makes. No. Sense. I've seen bad GWF's die even -with- this system of 25-50. Once again, a 10-20% nerf would be -fine-.

Even the people who play this for PVP are calling them out on these changes. Watching most of our surviveability die, and geting enraged, to me, is not overeacting.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The other thing I dont understand is, why are they taking prones out of pvp?

When those are some of the few only methods in taking out tough opponents.
    How did people take out the old Sentinel GWF's? They conducted series of prones to prevent them from getting unstoppable
    How do people mess up perma stealth rogues rotations? Proning them, lowering thier stealth meter messing up thier perma stealth or proning them just as they used shadow strike, unable to use stealth while prone.
    Those dashing HR's that constantly slip away from you. Prone, sits them still for a while.
    Those super super tanky GF's that sit on points with thier sheild up with an almost and endless shield meter? Get behind and prone them.

Prone is a valuable disable, since all other CC's you can activate any CC immunities and get out of it immediately. And one of the few methods to counter some of these builds. Which is why I dont think such builds dont need to be changed, because there are ways to work against them. Taking away methods to work against them, will just cause the NEED for those builds to be hacked away. And that makes for a much more stale and cookie cutter play experience for everyone.

Instead of removing prone from pvp, have prones actually obey CC resist and tenacity. That would have been the ideal way of dealing with the prone chains instead of just changing them to stun. Having prones obey CC resist, allows people who get hit with prones to at least be able to get up quick enough to be able to act before the next one comes while also having the Proner to have a chance to chain up a hit. It keeps CC chains a thing while also giving people a chance and methods to get out of them and break them.

Beleive it or not but stuns arent work much of jack. Thats why GWF's and GF's dont really use flourish. Prones should still be a viable strategy and not an aspect to be removed from the fold altogether.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You complain about actually having to use potions now or stepping out of red? You serious?
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    You complain about actually having to use potions now or stepping out of red? You serious?

Actually I was complaining about the fun of playing the class being taken away. You already have to step out of (some) red circles when not being unstoppable. Now you have to do it even if you are unstoppable. So what's the point of being unstoppable at all? They could just get rid of it for Destroyers and Instigators. A DR of 10% just does not make enough difference.

Unstoppable is the CORE of the GWF class. Take it away and it is a different class. It's like taking stealth from the TRs. Spell mastery from CWs. Divinity from DCs. Etc.
  • Options
    rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The devs wanted to make GF and GWF more different (GF more tanky less damage, GWF less tanky more damage) from the status quo where GWF was both more tanky and high damage. They did that quite well IMO. Just need some fine tuning on GF to make their stamina bar work better so that they can actually survive holding the aggro while others hit the mobs.

Agree with this. The GWF as it is now steals too much airtime from the GF. The GWF is practically a TR+GF bizarro combination that doesn't make sense. If it takes this much changes to (if not balance classes) relegate the GWF to a designated role, then it's a welcome change.

PS: I had a 14K GWF that I rage deleted when the cheese hit the fan. I have another GWF now since grinding for the Artifact quest! IF MEMORY serves me, my main TR was originally hit by a nerf even more drastic than this one. And to voice a different opinion about dropping cash, there are people like me who hated broken classes who might come back to playing the GWF if it presented more challenge.
  • Options
    zankardzankard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

We always had to do that. At least the glass cannon builds that go for dps. Do you think we all just run t1 dungeons? I chug potions like there's no tommorow! I'm not quite as sad as others are though. Perhaps now we actually take GFs and DCs in our groups? :)
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like how Unstoppable SUDDENLY became a problem now, even though it was the same way for a year. If I wanted to play a squishy melee I would've picked TR.

And now Destroyer will be unplayable in PvP again.
    Now we actually need to think about which Red Circles we can get hit by and which we can't - and use Sprint to get out of it.
    Yeah, good luck with that,
    - Wicked Strike is still broken
    - Sprint itself is so **** you get hit by things even after running 10 feet past the edge of the red
    - Sprint uses too much stamina/GWF stamina regen is too low
  • Options
    fdgxfhxfgnzthfdgxfhxfgnzth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    as a TR i simply love that changes.
    Iits not normal when in open pvp there are 10 gwfs, few hunters and a dc
    Its not normal, that result of any pvp match is desided only by the fact, who has a 18k gwf on team.
    Its not normal, when u fight a gwf with 3 ppl and on 5k hp he pops unstoppable and sprints out for heals without any chances of killing it.
    Its not normal, that i can hit for 25k with a 12k gwf with blue items.
    And its not normal, that most gwfs complain that now they have to avoid red areas. Lol, really? All others need to do dodge red and for gwf it's not acceptable?