test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quality of Life Request: Quest Bag

ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
How many of you guys have been enjoying the new content? I know I have.

However one thing is driving me absolutely bonkers while trying to enjoy the new content: constantly dealing with inventory management. Dealing with loot is just a normal part of games but what has been irking me is that when I open my inventory it is not uncommon to find most of this clutter is from the actual quest items.

Dark Fey Keys, Hammerstone Hammer, Elven Swords, Adamantine Gauntlet, Black Ice Pick...

These are just a few of the quest items (items which serve no function other than in quests) I have in my inventory on my main character right now before grabbing any new dailies and honestly this is far less than I am used to seeing. I have particularly noticed that before I turn in IWD's quests I will typically have about 6 more quest items taking up slots before I turn in quests.

This is a lot of real estate taken up for items which serve no functional purpose. I can't sell them. I can't trade them. They are only there because they are required or beneficial to have while questing but take up inventory space which would be much more appealing to use for actual loot.

Please add a Quest Item Tab and stop the unnecessary clutter.

It would be awesome to have all quest items as I define them (serve no purpose other than to be used in quests) put in there but I would certainly appreciate all of the yellow bordered items being removed from my inventory space. Particularly because having to discard items of actual value to me in favor of the latest stack of Winter Wolf Pelt or Corrupted Necklace is very disheartening.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another option would be to simply rework the quests so you just have to interact w/ the objects - no items needed...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Neverwinter is the first MMORPG I've played that has no separate bag for quest items. So I'm voting for this.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Indeed Bioshrike. I always favored that approach myself but I think they wanted to keep a level of, for a lack of a better term, immersion. Look the game isn't only saying you found an item, you actually did find it, had to pick it up and you can move it around in your inventory kind of a deal.

I'm not really adverse to the approach but like mehguy138 I was used to having quest items not feeling cumbersome and as quests get added it seems like more and more of my inventory space is being 'stolen' by quest items.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nice idea, all the items that have no "real" use should go in a separate inventory tab!
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was just thinking about this yesterday, there's just so much clutter, I have to refine the enchants I find after every couple of fights. IMO in addition to quest items all keys (I currently have MC key, VT key, dark fey key, dungeon key, that's four slots) and tools (black ice pick, fishing rod) should be in a separate tab.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    ...and tools (black ice pick, fishing rod) should be in a separate tab.

I forgot about that fishing rod when I was looking through my inventory for various quest items.

That thing stares at me every time I look through my inventory for something to refine or discard saying
    'Yeah go ahead and discard me! You know you'll regret it as soon as you do! Muahahaha! Until then I will just eat up an inventory slot.'
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yo I am with you on this. It's not even every other MMO that has this; every other GAME that has quests that require items typically works like this.
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sign off on this 100%

New bag, new tab, just pretend they are there - whatever is fine by me.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic makes money selling bag space.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    vortican wrote: »
    Yo I am with you on this. It's not even every other MMO that has this; every other GAME that has quests that require items typically works like this.

This is true, so please community Moderator or developer please hear the plight of the community of Neverwinter and make it so quest items DO NOT take up space in inventory.

It is rather annoying to discard items because a quest item dropped and I can't pick it up. Or at the very least PLEASE make it so that quest items dropped will go in the overflow bag and can be used from the overflow bag. Whichever is easier to implement but one of those things needs to happen.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I understand that cryptic sells item space, so they might not be too eager to do this, also I don't think it hasn't occured to them, but I still think that quest items should have their own tab too.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Isn't there a QoL sticky in the Gameplay forum section where these should go?
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic makes money selling bag space.

Most of my characters have the base bag, the 18-slot bag, the 12-slot bag, and 2 GBoH's - they already made their money, so can we do something about the storage space, please?

If they're not going to get rid of the quest items themselves, then some sort of quest item inventory tab would be the next best option...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Most of my characters have the base bag, the 18-slot bag, the 12-slot bag, and 2 GBoH's - they already made their money,
    They already made their money... off you. There are two millions more accounts to sell bags to.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    edited May 2014
    Well, my point was that this is an issue, even if you have bought extra bag space, so I don't really see that as the main driving force for not implementing some sort of quest item storage...
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If you have tons of quest items collecting dust in your inventory it's time to start discarding.

Note: Even if you discard quest items you can still complete the quest as long as it's given you credit for finding said item(s), even if you must use them for something. There are no scripts that check your inventory for "required" quest items so as long as you passed the "quest phase" requiring the item, you're good, you can discard them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I thought it was brilliant that Torchlight 2 (iirc) put quest items in your journal. But I understand why that's not necessarily going to be on the table in a game that sells bags.

I'm with Bioshrike. I've already bought a bunch of bags and have relatively few spaces open for more unless I start replacing the smaller free ones with larger bought bags, and I'm not anywhere near ready to do that. I'm pretty ruthless about keeping the contents pruned down, but excessive quest items still give me fits. I tend to stack dailies for a few days to complete them more efficiently, making only one trip into the far reaches to loot and slaughter instead of many.

Dread Ring could get absolutely insane, and I'd usually come back to the camp after completing each quadrant to turn in and clean up all the inventory duff. But it made no sense to go kill skeletons one day in order to collect bone fragments, another day to take explosives, and yet another day just for the sake of killing them, when I could just do this all at once, and place scrying orbs at the same time if I was lucky. Great design to streamline gameplay in that regard, but very hard on the bags, especially when a lot of quests involved carrying an item from the quest-giver as well.

Sharandar is in a way not that bad for filling you up with quest items due to the limited number of quests in each area and the way you can work on each sub-zone individually over time (only collect blades for a while, etc.).

Icewind Dale is thus far a bit in between the two. I'm tending to do dailies more often on the day they are given because I need to be roaming around to get my required black ice anyway, so quest items don't necessarily stack up as much... but the number of new loot items (coalesced potions, black ice enchants) is starting to strain the seams a bit in combination with everything else, and again I'm being ruthless and consolidating and vendoring and auctioning and cleaning out, but inventory management Tetris is not a fun game to play.

One further problem with quest items is that you can collect more of them than you need, and that will create an unnecessary stack at least until the quest is turned in, unless you recognize these items and manually discard them. For example, if more than 4 picks drop and you collect them all, only 4 will be consumed in jamming the mechanisms. The Thayan tokens that turn into a badge when you have enough, any extras picked up will uselessly hang around in the same way... this single quest can take up 3 inventory spaces while it's in progress.

We have a pick we have to keep forever because of mining black ice and as far as I know there is no way to get another even if you accidentally lost it. Anyone with an upgraded fishing pole is stuck with it unless they throw it away and start fresh assuming festive fishing returns (I kept most at the basic level and vendored them after the event ended partly for that reason and partly because fishing on multiple characters wasn't happening).

I would suggest that anyone with an MC/VT key kicking around should ask some friends to help you queue in and then just bail if you're not going to run it (though if you're not going to run these, consider deferring making the keys and save your AD). This will consume the key and you'll be able to queue in again forever happily ever after. You don't have to keep those. Likewise, your Dwarven Valley map will poof as soon as you resolve the quest to talk to a guy there.

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky that the game doesn't have weight restrictions on what we can carry. :P
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2014
    I have a Greater Bag of Holding on my main three characters, my Hero of the North Bag on all characters...

I am not short of inventory space and would gladly pay to upgrade (not discard) my current bags to 18 slots...

But as I said the more quests and zones we get the more random quest item junk gets added to my inventory. This is a growing problem IMO so saying buying more bag space is the solution is a bit shortsighted for the long term issue.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I would absolutely love a Quest-Bag! I do not often do all my Sharandar/Dread Ring dailies on the day I pick them up and often have to devote around 12 slots just to those quest items they give when accepting them. A quest bag for these items would really be nice, especially for the quests that give you even more items as you progress through them.

djarkaan wrote: »
    Isn't there a QoL sticky in the Gameplay forum section where these should go?
    Take a look at what that thread you're referring to actually is. My post there-in explains it.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I would absolutely love a Quest-Bag! I do not often do all my Sharandar/Dread Ring dailies on the day I pick them up and often have to devote around 12 slots just to those quest items they give when accepting them. A quest bag for these items would really be nice, especially for the quests that give you even more items as you progress through them.

Take a look at what that thread you're referring to actually is. My post there-in explains it.

Like I said previously, you can discard every one of those quest items upon getting them and still complete the quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    Well I finally took the time to move all of my non-essential items around to free up space. Doing IWD is now bearable but that is way more effort than I should have to put due to quest items.

I don't care if I can discard them. Bottom line is I shouldn't have to.
    Logically speaking if they can be discarded without penalty they shouldn't be taking up inventory space or making me open my bag to manually discard them anyway. That is more evidence to support the inclusion of a quest bag or the destruction of the item clutter than a solution. What you are describing is a workaround to a problem we should not have to work around.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What you are describing is a workaround to a problem we should not have to work around.

Precisely. Not to mention that even at level 60 many players may not know (or are actually fearful of) discarding (willy-nilly) quest items. If they appear in inventory the immediate perceived reason is that they are required to complete the quest. This is how it is in Foundry quests; if you are given an item - it *will* (should) be actually needed in your inventory to complete a particular part of the quest.

Hence this is either a bug (unintended result) or short-sighted thinking on the part of those who worked on this aspect of the game. Surely most quest items are removed from inventory on completion (turn-in) of that quest, but... but... but... What if I take-on a half-dozen quests simultaneously for efficiency reasons?

I'm on the side of Ambisinisterr on this one. Either give a new storage space or do away with the need for the items to sit in inventory, full stop.
  • texasgunmantexasgunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From the point of view of a player who is short on funds most of the time, I have put limited amount of money into the game, and I have a L60 GF I use as a bank alt after he became unplayable: (It's a long story, I won't bore you.)

I do not see the need for such a system or measure. I have raised 3 characters to 60, and am working on another right now. If I have a quest item taking up space in my bags, and I do not have that quest that day or do not have need of it, it is discarded. I use the account-wide bank slots to transfer R4 and up Enchants and Runestones to my bank alt (who I keep because I paid for bank slots for him, by golly!). From there, I check him if I ever have need of anything. R3 and below I refine into my Artifacts, and that goes for anything I pick up. Marks of Potency, Power, Stability, Union, etc. are also consolidated to my bank alt.

TLDR; I have found that it does not become an issue for me with quest items clogging my inventory since I make use of a bank alt who has extra bank slots.

However, this does not mean that I think my way is the way that will work for all or even most players. It is what works for me, based on what I have invested into the game. I am curious as to why one would keep quest items they did not have use for or for quests they did not currently have. Surely grouping with others who have a quest you do not and cannot receive from them is meant to have some sort of mutual reward system for all in place. However, it seems problematic that a kind of 'min-max' attitude would be facilitated by this design. In my experience, Cryptic is of the perspective that they would rather remove the ability to access items you cannot use yet or do not necessarily need at the moment, than to expand the game to accommodate the issue that has arisen.

If anyone would care to explain to me how and why they have an inventory filled with items so that they cannot pick up new ones, I would be more than glad to listen. I do not feel that I fully understand this issue from the opposite viewpoint.

Thanks,
    Peter James
    Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
    Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
    Thanks,
    Peter James
    Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
    Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
  • mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally, the lack of space has made me NOT buy things, in the past. Where would i put them? (Mounts, etc.) Besides a quest bag there also needs to be a bag for mounts (a "stable" or "kennel.") We have this for idle companions, so why not for the mounts? They can add both the quest bag (which should have been in the game from the very beginning!) and the kennel at the same time!

A quest bag would, at least, keep me from accidentally throwing away necessary quest items and having to start over. i've done that several times, especially with Foundry quests.
  • sunnie2sunnie2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Signed!

I have seen 10 slots being used during a round of dailies for quest items, 10! And if for some reason the game doesnt remove quest items at turn in (happens frequently in Sharandar), more slots are used.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    But how are they going to sell you new bags then?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    But how are they going to sell you new bags then?

They can't, even if we both wanted to (they to sell me, me to buy) because I have NO BAG SLOTS AVAILABLE. This is a fact of life a lot of people with the above (senseless, I might add) argument: you get what 5 or 6 bag slots? You fill three of those just playing the game: you start with one, then get another at Blacklake and the third at Neverdeath.

I got another from my Hero of the North, another from my Guardian of the North, and yet another from some other promotion. I couldn't add another bag if I wanted to and it were a freebie given to me. But even with all bag slots filled it can still be a problem.

I did say it *can* be a problem. However, note that when I say "problem" what I am really saying is "annoyance" - because that's all this is in the end.

@katbozejziemi above: Pah-leeze - is THAT really the best argument you can come-up with? Really? I submit an old quote for your edification:

"It is best to let others think you a fool rather than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can unequip your current bags and replace them with Greater Bags of Holding.
  • ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes. Signed.