Install Arc
Options

New character faces...

Comments

• Options
    sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Man !!! I got it !!

New CC is awesome! Most tricky thing about it is face section. Now we have tones of defferent faces that go as a pre set for all facial features of our character. u chouse a pre set and begin sculpting, when u rech smth u like u can go to faces tab again and just change facial pre set, BOOM! your changes to facial features stay but the shape of the face changes and there are some really awesome stuff, trust me. It just needs practise and time to get used to.
  • Options
    calicotigercalicotiger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do like the changes to the female dwarves. You could make a cute one before, but I actually think they look less awkward now. You don't have crazy enormous eyes that had a look of the deep ones any longer. And whereas the long curly and the long straight (the new ones) sit way too tall on other races' heads, they sit perfectly on the female dwarf. Please fix the other races' hair elevation to match on those two particular hair styles :) Otherwise it makes your head look stretched out and you have giant/long forehead syndrome.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Using the same face, but as a CW she doesn't look weird. I hate HR's posture....
  • Options
    czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    Oh my goodness, what Sokolnichiy said is true, this is how the halflings will look in the 5th edition. It's a shame, a real shame. Well, it seems that it's time to start getting used to this design. :(

stongheart_halfling__female__by_conceptopolis-d5rsp0v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ok... HOW do halfing resist control with terrible legs like that...? I don't get it...

Wouldn't elves be lighter on their feet?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After some trolling of the interwebs for more info on all those concept images all I can say is... Wow, Soko nailed it. These concept shots not only explain the character model changes, but the entire art style as well. Clothing and armor that has been in the game for months is clearly represented in some of these images. Its actually rather eyeopening.

Example, this clothing set looks very similar to some of the higher level Icewind dale fashions. And that hair style is in the game.
    northland_barbarian__female__by_conceptopolis-d5rsqoo.jpg

This is far to close to the in game version of the Sunelf noble set to just be random.
    sun_elf__female__by_conceptopolis-d5rsj3c.jpg

At least, if nothing else. This new style will effectively kill any desire for Gnomes as a player race.
    gnome_by_conceptopolis-d5rsjk7.jpg

And you all thought halflings where bad off :D
  • Options
    isoplethisopleth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh.. those halflings.. that's just, EW
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    What really confuses me, is why the lowest setting on the neck slider is still slightly too long.

Max setting? Why, just why.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I woudlnt mind much with the changes if they didnt restrict the sliders so much.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Oh my goodness, what Sokolnichiy said is true, this is how the halflings will look in the 5th edition. It's a shame, a real shame. Well, it seems that it's time to start getting used to this design. :(

Ugh, that's a deal breaker for me, besides I dare anyone to make an elf that looks like those in this concept art.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Is it traditional for tieflings to wear mascara?
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh gods, the 5E concept art, I had actually managed to purge that from memory because it's so ugh. I remember seeing it the last couple of Gen Cons and being eww at it. Not my kind of aesthetic at all, and yeah, the freakish deformity of halflings...

It's especially ludicrous since this game is based losely on 4E, not 5E.

And the point remains, whether or not you like the new options - The old ones should not have been removed. There was nothing wrong with them and many people liked them, nor was anyone calling for their removal. Extra options, maybe, but not the removal of the existing ones. :/
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2014

stongheart_halfling__female__by_conceptopolis-d5rsp0v.jpg
    Looks alot like the Kithkin race in magicthegathering ccg.
  • Options
    prancerhoodprancerhood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't like the new faces either, don't plan on changing my guy, but do you know what melted plastic looks like?
    I mean I guess it depends on the plastic, but it usually ain't so smooth and shiny

As for that concept art, as an aspiring concept artist myself I think the characters look gorgeous!
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    I don't like the new faces either, don't plan on changing my guy, but do you know what melted plastic looks like?
    I mean I guess it depends on the plastic, but it usually ain't so smooth and shiny

As for that concept art, as an aspiring concept artist myself I think the characters look gorgeous!

Yes, well, I would say I like yoru art better than this and they are OK for a cartoonish comic book, not as MMO concept.

Inače drago mi je da vidim susjeda iz Slovenije.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well, thank you a lot for the compliment, very appreciated! (:
    Otherwise, i was saying the art is gorgeous on it's own, though final product, especially if we're talking about video game concepts, is often different in style due to graphic restrictions, even with games that have more cartoonish undertones than the realistic style of NW
    the same person that drew that also seemed to make the concept art for ice and fire giants, gnolls and several other creatures that were used in the game.
    If you check the halflings as they are in-game, their features are FAR less exaggerated than in concept art, etc, so the concept art is really just the concept which the characters are then built upon.
    //art passion

to be honest, i just went to check the halflings, and i actually like them way better now than they were before, i couldn't stand the sight of them before

also the new tiefling horns look really neat

drugače pa ejjj lepo srečat sosede v Neverwinter! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    also the new tiefling horns look really neat

Really neat watching solid horns move from blinking!
  • Options
    whatevermangwhatevermang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    6Zp8Dzo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Really neat watching solid horns move from blinking!

ah yes good idea, let's ignore the beautiful upgraded horn texture and rather whine about slight programming issues because we all know how easy it is to make flawless customizable 3D models

there's also a weird gap on the side of the halfling's neck and the short male haircuts seem to float on the side what's with that right? ridiculous people who spend hours trying to make 3D models look nice tsk tsk
    how are these major problems, you can still take good screenshots with these little issues existing, god ****.

I don't like how elves look one bit and male halflings look hella deformed (see, this is a thing you can complain about because these are awful design choices) but female halflings, if scaled right, can look pretty cute

gameclient_2014_05_17_21_02_56_985_by_bpavlica-d7ir001.jpg

the major problem with male halflings is, that their arms are way too skinny, same goes for their legs, which could also be somewhat prolonged. Keeping short legs doesn't seem like a problem to me, because, halflings are not human, so a different anatomy is like a nice touch, but male halflings definitely have legs that are way too short and look extremely awkward.
  • Options
    whatevermangwhatevermang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    there's also a weird gap on the side of the halfling's neck and the short male haircuts seem to float on the side what's with that right? ridiculous people who spend hours trying to make 3D models look nice tsk tsk
    how are these major problems, you can still take good screenshots with these little issues existing, god ****.

What's a "major problem" or not is kind of subjective. Some people will be more bothered by certain things than others. In any case you should stop get offended on behalf of the devs just because people point out flaws in the character models.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    What's a "major problem" or not is kind of subjective. Some people will be more bothered by certain things than others. In any case you should stop get offended on behalf of the devs just because people point out flaws in the character models.

Seriously, there is no excuse for poorly animated faces...
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I'm not getting offended on anyone's behalf, I'm getting offended as an artist, because our job always seems to be taken for granted.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Seriously, there is no excuse for poorly animated faces...

Not to assume anything, but as a 3D model character animator you can tell us all about that?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I love this detail on the new tiefling horn design that I wonder how many people noticed;
    the black of the horns reflects light differently than the red, skin-covered part, making it look like the darker part of the horn is of a different material. that's a neat detail but who cares THE HORNS MOVE A BIT WHEN THE CHARACTER BLINKS

asdrgz_by_bpavlica-d7irt02.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Not to assume anything, but as a 3D model character animator you can tell us all about that?

Defend shotty work, really? The old heads were fine then they had to rush this out before fixing everything, removing the ones that worked fine entirely. Now they feel inclined to never finish now that it is out.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honestly I really think the faces look fine.

I do understand the glossy thing is a little overdone. Admittedly the hair looks more like a piece of armor rather than hair, so perhaps they can tone things like that down a little. It may be just a touch too shiny.

I'm sure that's just a small adjustment.
  • Options
    asherjwildstarasherjwildstar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The human male face is terrible, plastic :(
  • Options
    truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    12 pages long, and yet, Cryptic/PWE will do nothing about this change. I'd like to know at least the reason to remove the old templates/models. System incompatibility with the new ones? copyright? Please let us know if the old models will return or if this is what it is (in this case, this is a show stopper to me and 'll spend my money elsewhere in the near future)
  • Options
    venenarevenenare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd just like tiefling fingernails back please.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't think olf faces will be back. mainly because the old system was different, the options were chosen in a different way.
    2e2qwj6.jpg