Install Arc
Options

New character faces...

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like it has been told, the new faces are because of the new direction the art of Wotwc is going. That's why there's no option to go back. simple as that.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    But it's true that the Devs haven't said anything, everything was said just by normal players. There's no official statement in this matter.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    21 pages and yet no dev comment on giving us the option to choose between the old and new systems (Yeah, it is possible to do it)

sigh...

Read back - it's a *technical* issue.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wonder if they'll ever fix the ponytail hairstyle that has the side of the hair clipping through in front of the ear.

And the tiefling eyelashes, that aren't even aligned right.
  • Options
    watchingdwheelswatchingdwheels Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For the most part I can live with this.

But no matter what I try I can't get the eyes to look right.

Less cartoony PLEASE!!!
    "When You Attack, You Must Vanquish"
    "When You Defend, You Need Merely Survive"

Master Po to Kwai Chang Caine

Bonhomme Richard DC L 60 PVE Heal Build

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Personally, I absolutely love them. My elves look oh-so-much more like elves - and they have nicer hair now too. :)

What I don't quite get, though, is the lack of backward compatibility. Present characters stay the same, but there's no way to remake them the way they were before. The old hair are all there, but no old faces. Mm.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Still can't still apply new hair cuts on my tiefling after the patch that states:
    Fixed clipping issues with female hairstyles such as Short Messy, Dreads Tied and general Tiefling and Orc issues.

>___________>
  • Options
    lollernoob9lollernoob9 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new elf eyes look far too oriental....
    I have nothing against Asians, but NW wont be unique anymore if they make everyone look so airbrushed,

At least make the old way an option, Devs.....and tell your higher ups the players dont like it....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Please make the old way an option, devs......

Post on this if you want them changed
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want old faces back! Oh and today's patch did some nasty things with hair on my old faced chars, tyvm Cryptic :/
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So, after some time I checked on my main character - a halfling GWF - and I thought "Wow, she looks pretty sweet, her proportions returned to normal!", but then I turned the camera to see this. Well, at least her sword and clothes aren't clipping through the ground. :p

CApDAcX.jpg

But it gave me some thoughts. I studied her new body and it doesn't seem very bad, it's just that her legs are very short, compared to the ones the other races have. When I'm making a female of any race, excluding halflings and dwarves, I make their legs as short as possible, because they're simply too long. Dwarf legs are great, they have the right length. But the halfling legs are just too short.

I made my character's legs as long as possible and her arms as short as possible, and still her arms are almost as long as her legs. It just doesn't look aesthetically pleasing. Also, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, her calfs are too narrow, compared to her thighs. The rest is not bad, but there is one thing wrong with this model. Look at this screenshot (halfling slim version) :

ueeuKZQ.png

And the last, but not the least important complaint is that: why can't we have long, polished nails, when the NPCs have them? Here's a screenshot:

9ovQsIG.jpg

Sorry for poor English grammar and spelling, I hope everyone understands what I'm trying to say! Thank you, Cryptic and PWE, for making this awesome game and I hope we can all work hard to make it better!
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    (...) but then I turned the camera to see this(...)

Great picture :D
    This is why I will never, ever change my char's appearance. And I have long, polished nails ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It is an option, I think...also I tried making a new character.....dwarf eyes look exactly like elf eyes....this is corner cutting...

Cryptic has done better in the past, please do not get lazy now....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I really, really hope they are not trying to make this be called D&D ( western game) and make it look like Perfect World International (easstern game ) There is no problem with making new areas/character options, but to remove the old ones...why?

If the devs gave a reason, someone post about it here :P They should make the old options available if they want to keep market appeal to people who like games rougher on the edges, instead of being so glossy it makes you hurl...It is a very dangerous direction for the game.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really, really hope they are not trying to make this be called D&D ( western game) and make it look like Perfect World International (easstern game ) There is no problem with making new areas/character options, but to remove the old ones...why?

If the devs gave a reason, someone post about it here :P They should make the old options available if they want to keep market appeal to people who like games rougher on the edges, instead of being so glossy it makes you hurl...It is a very dangerous direction for the game.

I read somewhere that they changed the options to fit in with D&D next style of artwork ,it's kinda cutesy -
    http://www.rpgbooster.com/dd-next-conceptual-artwork/
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    They have posted the reason several times, even in this same topic, I'll not repost it again, but you can look for it in here.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Stop being so dismissive just because you like the new options. :P The removal of the old ones IS a problem.

And 'They' haven't posted anything. There has been absolutely 0 official response. All that's been posted here is speculation. There are no official reasons that have been given. Acting like there have been is disingenuous and just comes off as you telling people who are unhappy to shut up. Nope. Still don't like the new options, they still look terrible to me, and I'm still irked I can't edit any of my existing characters.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    They have posted the reason several times, even in this same topic, I'll not repost it again, but you can look for it in here.

They actually havent made any official response about this.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20130213
    this link to me doesn't look made by a player and actually directly explains the situation with the halfling redesign.
    Also, never assume what I'm thinking or saying. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, you have all the right to complain, I'm just telling that I doubt they'll bring back the old faces (you are right on one thing though, I like the new ones much betterm I have trouble to understand why would anyone prefer the old ones.)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20130213
    this link to me doesn't look made by a player and actually directly explains the situation with the halfling redesign.
    Also, never assume what I'm thinking or saying. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, you have all the right to complain, I'm just telling that I doubt they'll bring back the old faces (you are right on one thing though, I like the new ones much betterm I have trouble to understand why would anyone prefer the old ones.)

I like a lot of the new ones. However, some of the new males ones (elf and half elf), are much more feminine looking. This bothers lots of people that want a 'manly' looking elf. There are other examples. Its basically a mixed bag, but like I said some of the changes were nice.

For example, when I made my male mage I made him a half elf because I didn't want him to look like a line-backer (like all the human males *eye roll*). At the same time I didn't want him having a feminine looking face. Sadly I will never be able to alter his appearance now, since this unique combination of average human build and masculine face is unavailable now.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Hopefully, we'll get more faces and the plastic look will also hopefully be toned down and seem more like actual skin.

As for that article... I really do like the latest "realistic" concept art for the halflings. Indeed!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The ones at the bottom of the article aren't too horrible, although I'm still completely not sold(I came in to D&D with 3.5, so my entire experience with halflings has been the more human-like proportions. That's a halfling to me, not these freakish deformed things we have now).

The problem is, what's in game for the halfling currently looks nothing like those, and everything like those hideous original concept sketches that are completely deformed. Male halflings currently are a joke, and female little better. They look like deformed beardless dwarves.

They need to bring Todd Lockwood back for D&D, **** it. The 3.5 race designs were great and felt like different races without being freakish. (But they included things like that one PHB illustration of skulls. Skulls! They worked so well because they were designed with proper anatomy in mind. There was something below that skin. The current jawless swan-necked mess is... Awkward. Nevermind the halflings with legs so thin and tiny they can't possibly support their torsos. Just the faces are bizzare, on elves especially)

But yes, hopefully less plastic and more realism. Less creepy anime pointy chins. And a **** toggle, or at least being able to use the old system for my legacy characters.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . WotC should just keep giving their ideas to Ed Greenwood until he says, "Yep, those are halflings." :D ... yeah, I'm an Ed Greenwood fanboy. Love his works and his Realms.. and I could just listen to him ramble on about anything for eons!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ed is fantastic, even if he is slightly a perv. XD I'll never forget at my first Gen Con, I was cosplaying as a sun elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian, and jokingly asking people if they'd accepted Corellon into their heart yet. His response was 'Yes, and a few other gods in lower places.' XD XD XD
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That "realistic" concept doesn't look bad. :) But WotC should learn that even if something is pretty on a drawing, it doesn't necessarily look as good in 3D. There's a reason why some cartoonish 3D models hit the Uncanny Valley, especially when it's a deformation of a human body/face. The good example are anime characters, their large eyes shouldn't bother most people when they're on paper. But in third dimension they have a blank stare caused by their enormous size. It just looks weird to me. The same is with the new halfling body, playing as one of them doesn't feel right.

Sorry for poor English grammar.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    Ed is fantastic, even if he is slightly a perv. XD I'll never forget at my first Gen Con, I was cosplaying as a sun elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian, and jokingly asking people if they'd accepted Corellon into their heart yet. His response was 'Yes, and a few other gods in lower places.' XD XD XD
    *chuckles madly*
  • Options
    jilwsjilws Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I had to modify both my charachters (needed to add a tattoo) and I have to say that, given it some time to get used, the new faces aren't so bad... of course you have to put some effort into balancing and resizing facial features, but I think they are ok. thumbs up for the new added hairstyles, also :)