test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New character faces...

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd be happy if I could make a 90 year-old, prune-faced, anorexically-skinny frail-looking mage with battle scars. But it is what it is. Heck, I can't even make a fat, pot-bellied crusty old Klingon in Star Trek and their Character Generator leaves all others (except perhaps Linden Lab's "Second Life") to be desired.

I was *really hoping* way back during alpha/beta time that the Neverwinter system would use the same system as Star Trek Online. Now *THAT* is a Character Generator as MMO's go. But we can hope. Things will only get better from here and I have no doubt whatsoever that the Cryptic modeling team (and Textures and Animators and all the rest) are highly-skilled people who are working very hard. If all this were so easy then everyone would be doing it. They all have my respect because I know what it takes.

As I've said before and will say again: an MMO by nature is a perpetual work-in-progress. :)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I'd be happy if I could make a 90 year-old, prune-faced, anorexically-skinny frail-looking mage with battle scars.
    *the old mage rubs his ringing ears*
  • czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    I'd be happy if I could make a 90 year-old, prune-faced, anorexically-skinny frail-looking mage with battle scars.

So, you'd essentially want your character to look like the Cantakerous Mage? Yeah, I'd really like mine to be like the Dread Warrior. Some companions look a lot cooler than PCs. ^^

And I'm not losing hope, maybe the Tyranny of Dragons will give us more options.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And I'm not losing hope, maybe the Tyranny of Dragons will give us more options.

Devs need to fix messes first, not add more problems.
  • czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Devs need to fix messes first, not add more problems.

They will fix the issues, you can already see some them on the preview server's patches list. And Tyranny of Dragons comes in a few months. Are you saying that we should wait a few years instead?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So, you'd essentially want your character to look like the Cantakerous Mage?s.

Not quite - he's too healthy-looking. I'm thinking more like Raistlin from Dragonlance - but older. Something that shows the *physical price* of the magic he wields. I can make him look old, but not frail enough. Oh, well. :)
  • pantheist84pantheist84 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    My character is now way better looking than what was available before so I am not complaining.
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    seanna2000 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised they were utterly ignored.

Me either :D lol.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    baby steps.

so maybe there are 20-40 or so users on the forums that don't like the previews of these changes. does that mean they should scrap that entire portion of the change or addition? they will definitely be getting more feedback now that these changes are live. and they can change anything in-game down the road. the focus may simply be to get more input.

So, why not leave the old models in as an option then? Really I hate the new models too, and did an appearance change the day before mod 3 went live just so I wouldn't be forced to use the new models.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I used the free change-appearance token and I really regret it. Now I can't go back to my old look at all.

:(
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm glad they fixed the floating elf ears and female blinking :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I'm glad they fixed the floating elf ears and female blinking :)

Too bad that baby oil and hair that makes a "ting!" noise when you tap it still remains. And lack of adult females ofc. And depressed males.
  • isoplethisopleth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And lack of adult females ofc.

You know a new model from a mile away, they look like lollipops
  • jtrivjtriv Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Im both slightly disapointed and glad with the change. i also dont like the "shinyness" and my Teifling(nomater what i do how i tweek it) has a glitch that when im in fashion my neck looks like a gobbler chicken. i have a photo of it but dont know how to post pictures here. dont quite understand. However. as a teifling however i do love new horns. and like the new and honestly more well put together facial structure. fix the gobbler neck in fashion and make it not look like i dipped my face in baby oil. also love new teifling eyes. (2 colors) i really woulda liked more tattoo options but not a huge deal.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Does that glitch actually persist past the alteration tower? I know most of my characters, when I go into there to preview how the changes look, get that weird duplicated neck, but I obviously have no intention of changing it even on the preview server. I've been assuming/hoping it's just a glitch in the alteration interface.

So, got on preview to look at the ear issue. Unattached ears are thankfully gone. Half-elf looks unnatural in how they connect, they just cut straight in and slightly up, but it's a LOT better than floating ears, so yay for that. Of course things like the folding mouth/horse teeth issue continue to exist(Certain combinations of mouth height/jaw height make you either have your lips folded weirdly or constantly baring your teeth like a horse), and most of the old hair is hilariously ill-fitting, indeed even some of the NEW hair gaps at the hairline, although they look to have finally fixed the clipping with the long braids new style on males. Here, let me show you what my half-elf would look like, taken from preview:

eltainiwdpreview.jpg

Now let me start by saying that I actually like this, and if his hair in ANY way fit without looking ridiculous, I might actually use my appearance change token from the first time buyer's pack on it once horse mouth is fixed(I got a good screenshot; but there's still some gaping in the actual movement on that face.) It's also a frontal screenshot that doesn't reveal the full extent of just how badly that fits at the hairline - At an angle you can see his ear through the gap. Yike. But the hair. The hair. Really. (The new long hair 1. Can't actually be made grey, something in it keeps a brownish hue even with both colors set to grey; 2. does not suit him at all; 3. actually still gaps at the hairline, wtf)

But what's this, patch notes? You fixed collision issues with a few of the old hairstyles? Cool, let me go lo- Removing things is NOT bloody fixing them. Didn't check females because I got disgusted, but the long draped hairstyle at least is gone on males. So there's even more choice taken away. Seriously? Seriously? I really hope that's just an error and the updated files accidentally didn't get uploaded. Otherwise, grr.

And all of this, of course, ignores the base issue people have - Yeah, you can make some decent stuff in the new creator, like I said, fix the hair up there and Eltain'd be looking pretty **** suave and killing the ladies. Thing is, I don't want it as my only option. No, not even after all the bugs are finally fixed. I want a toggle to switch to the 'legacy' character creation, so I can edit existing characters, or make new ones that match my current ones. More choice, not different choice, or less choice. Obviously they have not made the new heads compatible with the old, the hair shows us that quite clearly, but surely it's possible to program in a toggle to just use the existing code and models. Hell, even if it was just a flag set for existing characters that they had that option to use legacy shapes/heads if they had them already.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited May 2014
    Patch further messed up my old tiefling. The eyelashes have a bad texture to them.
  • flupperyfluppery Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My DC had a pretty female face before.. Now she looks like an ugly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • jane111111111jane111111111 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would like to first say thank you Customer Service Support Staff TK 421 for fixing my account as I was unable to log in for 3 days or more. I am eternally grateful to be able to log in again. :)

*Back onto the topic at hand*

I kind of like it reminded me of the STO option's but there are bugs on that game & here on Neverwinter with some of the female options I tried out. Hair can be fixed sometime's by adjusting the head to correct any glitches with other character features. This was what I ended up with after 30 mins.

synwrathswife_safe.png

SYNWrath's Wife

I did notice my human female's eye's now blink again, however I had made her blind but now her eye's look different but do blink. I don't mind but some people clearly do care about such things. (To see this see the photo's in my next reply's below)

What I do not like - All of my shirt's for Icewind Dale have hole's in them that grow when I move/jump. That I don't like it one bit yet I will live with it. lol

Not the best photo's but at least I took the time to take some & effort to post them. :)

Thank you Neverwinter & Perfect World Entertainment Inc (PW) employees all around for all the hard work you do put into our F2P game.
    How to post images remove spaces I added [shouldbelikethis] vs [ not like this ]
    [ img ] typeurlhere [ /img ]

my_old_sig_from_nw_forums_bigger.png
    edited May 2014
    Here are those

Peasant's Tunic
    shirt_bug_holes1onpeasantstunic.png

shirt_bug_holes2onpeasantstunic.png

peasantshiort3.png
    How to post images remove spaces I added [shouldbelikethis] vs [ not like this ]

edited May 2014
    Merchant's Tunic
    shirt_bug_holes.png

shirt_bug_holes2.png
    While jumping I feel hulky lol

shirt_bug_holes3.png

shirt_bug_holes4.png

Images 3&4 won't work on mobile, sorry. However the links work for 3&4 to see the images.

edited May 2014
    You want what they did with STO then
    naicalus wrote: »
    Does that glitch actually persist past the alteration tower? I know most of my characters, when I go into there to preview how the changes look, get that weird duplicated neck, but I obviously have no intention of changing it even on the preview server. I've been assuming/hoping it's just a glitch in the alteration interface.

So, got on preview to look at the ear issue. Unattached ears are thankfully gone. Half-elf looks unnatural in how they connect, they just cut straight in and slightly up, but it's a LOT better than floating ears, so yay for that. Of course things like the folding mouth/horse teeth issue continue to exist(Certain combinations of mouth height/jaw height make you either have your lips folded weirdly or constantly baring your teeth like a horse), and most of the old hair is hilariously ill-fitting, indeed even some of the NEW hair gaps at the hairline, although they look to have finally fixed the clipping with the long braids new style on males. Here, let me show you what my half-elf would look like, taken from preview:

eltainiwdpreview.jpg

Now let me start by saying that I actually like this, and if his hair in ANY way fit without looking ridiculous, I might actually use my appearance change token from the first time buyer's pack on it once horse mouth is fixed(I got a good screenshot; but there's still some gaping in the actual movement on that face.) It's also a frontal screenshot that doesn't reveal the full extent of just how badly that fits at the hairline - At an angle you can see his ear through the gap. Yike. But the hair. The hair. Really. (The new long hair 1. Can't actually be made grey, something in it keeps a brownish hue even with both colors set to grey; 2. does not suit him at all; 3. actually still gaps at the hairline, wtf)

But what's this, patch notes? You fixed collision issues with a few of the old hairstyles? Cool, let me go lo- Removing things is NOT bloody fixing them. Didn't check females because I got disgusted, but the long draped hairstyle at least is gone on males. So there's even more choice taken away. Seriously? Seriously? I really hope that's just an error and the updated files accidentally didn't get uploaded. Otherwise, grr.

And all of this, of course, ignores the base issue people have - Yeah, you can make some decent stuff in the new creator, like I said, fix the hair up there and Eltain'd be looking pretty **** suave and killing the ladies. Thing is, I don't want it as my only option. No, not even after all the bugs are finally fixed. I want a toggle to switch to the 'legacy' character creation, so I can edit existing characters, or make new ones that match my current ones. More choice, not different choice, or less choice. Obviously they have not made the new heads compatible with the old, the hair shows us that quite clearly, but surely it's possible to program in a toggle to just use the existing code and models. Hell, even if it was just a flag set for existing characters that they had that option to use legacy shapes/heads if they had them already.

edited May 2014
    Female tieflings went overkill on the mascara. Nothing but a black ring around the eyes....
  • vayle#4883 vayle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Also what the **** happened to the eyes of the tieflings?
  • illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    So can we assume that the issue exists with new character models?
  • sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Also what the **** happened to the eyes of the tieflings?

What happened? They just got glassy, but i think that's mostly normal for the eyes in games to be that way.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2014
    So, why not leave the old models in as an option then? Really I hate the new models too, and did an appearance change the day before mod 3 went live just so I wouldn't be forced to use the new models.

The old models are still support in the game, but only for old characters and as long as you don't alter your character looks. The reason for the removal of the old tech has been covered by others in terms of tech. But the underlying cause is most likely due to Wizards of the Coast (WotC) themselves. WotC has been very involved in the creation of Neverwinter (Online) from the beginning. I won't micromanaging, but very much leaning in that direction.

WotC has been spending the last few years in revamping DnD across all of their product lines. (My speculation is due to Pathfinder eating their lunch after DnD 4th Ed which alienated their old costumers/fans). This revamp is culminating Tyranny of Dragons. (Continuing my speculation). Cryptic has very choice in adopting the new artwork direction being adopted by WotC. WotC has been directing the artwork in Neverwinter (Online) fom the onset of the game's creation.

I find myself wondering how far Cyptic is going to be going in making Neverwinter (Online) match up with the changings Faerun is undergoing in the new novels and game supplements. The Weave is back, the old ways of Magic are back (somewhat), the Spell Plague is gone, the floating Earth Motes are being grounded. I can see the current storylone maps not changing as they are the story of your character as they gain in power. But the new future maps should be interesting to see. And I guess we'll never see a Spell Plague class or Paragon paths. They would have been very interesting to see and play.
  • vayle#4883 vayle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's just looks bad compared to the original eyes.
  • zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The female hairstyle with the shaved side of the head (with three lines closer shaved) actually sits off the head a bit. It's weird when I turn the character around I can see the space in between their head and the hair and it leaves a shadow.

The old models/hair styles looked better in my opinion mainly because they were designed to go with each other and the game's armor and had the benefit of more polishing passes even if they are technically inferior. I tend to pick dark hair just because it hides a lot of the flaws.

But I actually like the new hairstyle designs and hopefully they'll continue polishing and fixing them so they fit the bodies/heads/armor better. And hopefully this means maybe new hair styles/face options in the future--perhaps in the zen store.
  • pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, it would be nice at least to have an option of using the old system if we choose so. Plus i really didn t like my thiefling eyes being changed without permision, cause if i don t like how they look now i can t change them without spending zen.
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    21 pages and yet no dev comment on giving us the option to choose between the old and new systems (Yeah, it is possible to do it)

sigh...