What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

...How can my "luck" be THAT bad?

Comments

• Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ah develings... evil incapable entities with awesome power u let infest ur very being
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well hopefully the devs will see to it to get a patch in order to where it can be bought. Been playing near constant since the beginning and have gotten all my weapon augments for my 6 toons, more than 600 medallions on each, and more dyes than I believe a factory can create and still have yet to win the companion. I lost count after 100 runs on one character, 20 on another, and it's all a blur after. ~Hope this does not sound like a complaint as it is not intended as such~ _\\// (Live long and prosper)
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I feel your pain OP and others in similar straights. The RNG most definitely has an attitude and a sick sense of humor. I, being a glutton for punishment, play the heck out of these events across multiple toons and the only pets/coins/mounts/etc I ever get are the ones I buy from far luckier people on the AH. There is more to the system than simply a randomized number representing win/don't win. While cryptic will never share the true details of what goes on behind the scenes, it is woefully obvious to us in guilds who see some folks win way more than their fair share of dungeon loot drops, event drops and general luck with refining etc that as in life, some people are charmed and have an easier go of things. They are the 1 percenters that make the rest of us roll our eyes in disgust and decry our general lack of good fortune as we soldier on and tell ourselves next time, next time we WILL win.
  • Options
    seitrediciseitredici Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    They should have kept the setup from Respen. Being able to buy a bound companion after 20 runs or so is infinitely better than having some people getting 5 sprites the 1st day alone, while others never get a single one.

Exactly, that's the major problem. Why do so many players get multiples, and others never get anything no matter how many times they run the event? Something is wrong, there.

Still no Sprite for me, but I give up. I wasted INSANE amounts of time trying to get the Druid during the last CTA and it never happened. I'm actually kind of angry at myself for trying so hard. No more CTA for me; it's just not worth it at all.
  • Options
    icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I spent forever grinding a wolf during pit fight CTA.
    I really want the fire sprite, but it wasn't coming and my wrist is bugging me. So I snagged one for 38k on the Auction House. I'm ok with this.

(I wonder if anyone tracks AH supply/prices EVE style. Would be interesting to see how it trends over the course of the CTA.)
  • Options
    aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I got one on my very first run and now i'm trying to get it on another character. 75 runs and nothing.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I feel you OP.

450+ run in SCA t6 and no sign of the companion. Opened over 300 (lost a count after this) lockboxes also without any companion/mount.
    Hopefully this will make you feel better :)
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    And I'm sad to say, Welcome to our club!
    Sign me in
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    akromatik wrote: »
    The Flame Sprite companion is a very rare and random drop.

My 44 lvl HR got 2 in a row after 2 runs in total. My 60 lvl DC haven't got any after 50+ runs. This is what people are complaining about.
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    And I'm sad to say, Welcome to our club!

I failed 27 times in a row trying to upgrade my R6 enchantment, can I join? XD
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CTA's and events like respens are two different kind of events, respen is more like winter festival with it's own currency allowing you to buy the companion. Cta's all use the same currency, medallions which can be farmed quite easily meaning the companion would have to be sold for like 20-30 k medallions. That being said I'm in favor of more events like respens using their own currency.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I am getting very bored of the CTA event as I have been at it since the first day and the only companions I have are the ones I got from the AH... Still going at it with my wizard, it would be a good companion for him for the AP gain. Almost 1,000 medallions and still nothing... I lost count of the runs after 100 or so.
    About to drop it all and just hope for the compnion to be on sale after the event is over.
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually, the RNG comes around.

It got to be a running gag in-guild that someone got a "CdnBison special" - a dye pack, a rank 3, medallions.

Up to Respen's, just getting a rank 5 (and believe me, those were rare) was a major event. With Respen's, though, my luck seems to have turned. I got a drop of both the token and the companion (usually just as I was getting enough tokens to buy it on a character). For this CtA, I've had not one but TWO companions drop for me.

So take heart - you can only roll one so many times in a row.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cdnbison wrote: »
    Eventually, the RNG comes around.

Lies. Haven't gotten a companion drop since Storming the Keep.
  • Options
    arturoakheartarturoakheart Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . In my opinion, the companions (and anything that drops in CTAs really) should always be on the CTA vendors in addition to them dropping/being in the chest. This would allow us to buy them with our CTA merits and have clear goals to play towards instead of relying on RNG and often getting left feeling slighted. I loathe RNG systems and prefer clear reward systems.

I also concur - after over 1k medallions on 4 chars (two accounts) and only 1 pet.(cleric got that at same time I got Highest Healing title)

Respen pet - I got one and bought 3.
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't even want the Flame Sprite now. I feel like I wasted my gametime this weekend scratching lottery tickets with nothing to show for it but a neckbeard and a feeling of self-loathing. SUCK IT CTA!!!!!

Make companions purchasable like Respens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well after close to 1,500 medallions I dropped the event as I had yet to get a dropped companion. I didn't get the druid nor the mount last time either, but this time I just went and bought the dang thing in the AH... I hated spending any more AD like that, but that's how bad I wanted it and after so many dang tries I couldn't just walk away empty handed. Next time these things need to be BoP in the medallion store.
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I got two in the amount of runs that took me to get 5000+ medallions, but I think its still fairer than the last April 1st even, Never got anything from it had to buy the slime and the pocket pet.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 847 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For meself, 63 attempts for the druid and I gave up after 50 attempts for this critter. I was feeling burnt out after the last one, then Respen's came along and I did that the... 30(?) times to get sufficient tokens to buy my critters (One pet, one companion), and whilst it was repetitive, it was also fun (And having two different dungeons didn't hurt), and now this...

To be honest, if I don't REALLY like the next companion, I'm going to ignore it completely excepting when the AD event-thingy is running.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Opened over 300 (lost a count after this) lockboxes also without any companion/mount.

300 keys = some 15 million AD.

You could have bought EVERY companion and mount/artifact from EVERY lockbox that has been released so far, and you'd still have several million ADs left, you know? :P
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dagorm wrote: »
    OK, I'll throw in my two cents worth. It has been my experience, on those highly infrequent occasions on which I have gotten a companion in the CTA chest, it has ALWAYS (and I mean "without exception") been AFTER SCORING THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF DAMAGE POINTS in the battles. I know it is claimed that they are rewarded on an RNG system, but I have come to suspect that it is one that is heavily "weighted" by the amount of damage done. Just saying.

Not to shatter your theory, but I frequently am #1 on damage dealt (I have very potent PVE CW with some nasty AoE ability), however I ran the CTA 50 times (I tracked that by counting how many dye bottles I got since I think you get dye on this one no matter what). After 50 CTA I got nothing maybe a rank 5 but that was it. Then from run 55 - 65 (again counting the dye bottles I got which was also two and three days into running them) I ended up getting I think 4 of them in about 15 runs. But since I only run for an hour or so at a time before getting distracting with dungeon delves it took me until the last day to get any at all.

I know this doesn't make you feel better about not ever getting any but I can assure you damage doesn't matter as it took me two days before I ever got a companion and I was TOP damage dealer for nearly all my runs.

I think the RNG is just screwy personally, as my very first CTA I coudln't hardly get that swashbuckler companion, the next one I got several dogs relatively quickly, I didnt' get squat from the Respins Dungeon CTA and I ran that an absurd amount. It really does seem to fluctuate and yes some people get several right off the bat, I had a guildie get two in 3 runs imagine my frustration when I had 30 by the time he did his 3.

If you really want to know how skewed the RNG is in this game, watch your chat channel, the notifications that tell you that so and so got such and such from a lockbox. I watched a system notify tell the world that chazballz got a thayan book of the dead and then literally 3 seconds later chazzballz got a thayan book of the dead. This dude whoever he was got two of those thayan books either back to back or real close to it and considering those sell for millions of AD I have to say I really wished this game was of the type that you could attack someone and take their stuff cause he shouldn't have gotten two of those in a row.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I got bored running the CTA Friday - one character had 14 runs during skirmish hour. Never got the companion. Didn't bother running it on Saturday. Yesterday I was sort of tempted to try some more, but a quick trip to the AH settled that once and for. Swap the Sprite around through the mail and got the achievement on all of my characters.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    raeoflightraeoflight Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    In my opinion, the companions (and anything that drops in CTAs really) should always be on the CTA vendors in addition to them dropping/being in the chest. This would allow us to buy them with our CTA merits and have clear goals to play towards instead of relying on RNG and often getting left feeling slighted. I loathe RNG systems and prefer clear reward systems.

I totally agree! I like the last CTA (or whatever it was where we were little action figures) cause we could buy the companion and pocket pet. It was awesome! I have such bad luck with them any other way, all though it sucked when i bought 2 of the same thing only to find out it was bound to my character and couldn't give it to my other characters or even sell them (forgot to read how it got bound)... Had to discard the pocket pet... x.x
  • Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A game shouldn't allow you to get one of everything easily. Years ago I was bored out of my mind playing Warcraft when I noticed achievements. If not for soloing this or that dungeon thousands of times trying to get this pet or that mount I'd have had nothing left to do. As it was, when I got something it really felt like an achievement. When everything is easy to get you no longer have anything to do.

That said, pay attention in chat. I did and ended up picking up a druid for a trivial amount from someone desperate for gold.

I agree an event currency and being able to buy it for a set amount of work is nice though. Like the fishing event. Hoping my stars will still be there next time so I have a head start. I've still got six or so more toons now than I did then but I'll have something to do. :D
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gphxgphx wrote: »
    A game shouldn't allow you to get one of everything easily.
    The problem with this argument, is that it implies people are asking to get every special item just by logging into the game and we aren't. Hell I got 3 sprites, but the fact that I farmed this CTA enough to have thousands of medallions between my chars, even after buying all them weapon skins, to get those 3 is little much.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    micky1p00 wrote: »
    This CTA would have been playable if not those cut-scenes!

Yes, it was horrible and tedious to farm. With a strong group, the amount of time you spent staring at the excessive cut scenes was similar to the time that you spent in actual combat. Since the skirmish was tweaked to be a CTA, it probably would have been an idea to remove the cut scenes, too.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For those who played Asheron's Call back in the day (many moons ago...) - they may actually have a reason for wondering LOL

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You think that not getting companion from CTA (btw CTA companion price is pretty low right now) is "bad luck"?
    Wanna know what is bad luck?
    I wanted Avatar scale for my GWF (last piece of set) so of course I went ToS during DD. First DD went smooth but my client crashed before I could get chest and launcher decided to check all files, after I entered game I was still in final boss chamber with chest but all my party members left instance and I had 5 seconds to get to chest, open it and select item.
    I only had glimpse of Avatar scale.......
    Next DD also went smoothly but I died when Syndryth had 1% hp left. My team of course killed her but then something happened with the door; there was invisible wall between me and boss chamber so I didn't even get chest this time.
    Third time I went to ToS went less smoothly but at the end people from legit channel helped (which I thank them for that) but only thing I got from chest was crappy ring for salvage...
    So tell me again how unlucky is not getting 50k worth companion from CTA?
  • Options
    shogunofthedark1shogunofthedark1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've gotten 2 or 3 companions out of the various CTA events... never got the shadow wolf mount...that should have been a companion
    though. The drop rates are weird in this game... my GWF got the portal hound on his very first Celadine run... not one of my other
    toons have.. he got the eye of lathander out of dread ring as well. I should probably get him to open my lock boxes.

Out of which I have gotten a mystic mount, phoera, 2 starter artifacts and some other decent stuff but not noteworthy.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I only wanted 2 Fire Sprites and I got them both in the first hour of CTA. The rest of the weekend I didn't see anymore.

The game must read your subconscious. Those of you that keep saying to yourself "I'll never see a companion" are DOOMED!!! ;)
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I stopped doing CTA events a few months ago now. I forgot which one it was exactly but the companion never dropped after many hours of grinding. Since then I've just been buying them in AH as you can usually find them in the 40k range during the events. 40k really doesn't take that long to come by in this game. Also another reason is I have 6 characters and there was no way I was going to grind enough to get a companion for all of them whereas if I buy them I can get one for all in about 10 minutes and have the rest of the weekend to do more productive things instead of the same event over and over and over.

The CTA events are great if you missed them while leveling up. Anything beyond that I just find them tedious and generally a waste of time.