test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

...How can my "luck" be THAT bad?

seitrediciseitredici Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm going to write this because I'm genuinely kind of upset and frustrated right now.

Honestly, I don't understand why I never, EVER get the companions from the CTA events. EVER. I've done hundreds of runs on multiple characters through multiple CTAs, and I literally just get the same garbage rank 3 enchants and dye packs every single time. Companions DO NOT drop for me. TONS of other players get multiples and I get none. At all. Ever.

I want to know if it's possible that something is bugged for me. It's really kind of astounding that my "luck" would truly be that bad. Am I being punished for something? Do I not spend enough real money on Zen? Why is it always me who never gets anything, despite running the events hundreds of times and truly WANTING just one companion for my characters? :(
Post edited by seitredici on

Comments

• iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's RNG so it's purely down to bad luck , the pit fight CTA took me over 100 runs to get the mount ,last CTA less than 10 runs to get the druid ,it's all pure luck, with all the positive feedback they developers got from the respens event I'm kind of surprised they didn't add a BoP version of the pet to the event store though.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Same here.
    I have never gotten the Companion from any of the CtA's or Events OR Lockboxes (and, back when I could afford it, I opened a truly frightening number of those, probably several hundred, total, of every single kind. I got one single beetle mount, the common one, of course). I DID get one Blink Dog once on one of my End-Game toons. That's AFTER I did enough Celendine Runs to make a Greater Elvish Battle Enchant and put quite a few ranks on a couple of Artifacts. Several hundred runs between several characters. And back when they were so cheap I bought about two hundred of those Thayan thingies that gave you the Star Metal Gauntlet along with many, many runs in the Dread Ring Dungeons and no Artifact.
    So, yeah, some folks are just SoL when it comes to drops in Cryptic Games. And I'm sad to say, Welcome to our club!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • seitrediciseitredici Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    It's RNG so it's purely down to bad luck , the pit fight CTA took me over 100 runs to get the mount ,last CTA less than 10 runs to get the druid ,it's all pure luck, with all the positive feedback they developers got from the respens event I'm kind of surprised they didn't add a BoP version of the pet to the event store though.

Here's the thing, though... you're actually getting stuff. I'm serious when I say that the companions don't ever drop for me. EVER. No matter how many times I do the events, and I genuinely have done them hundreds of times. I've collected enough dye packs to last me until the end of time. LOL.

Really though, I guess it's just pointless to actually do these events. I don't want any more dye. I don't care about junk rank 3 enchants. The caches you can buy from the CTA vendor are dropping nothing but rank 3 radiants and peridots for me. I literally, ALWAYS, get nothing but trash no matter what I do. :(

I really wish I could buy the CTA companions. That was one of the BEST things about Respen's!!
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not just you with the bad luck, I've not got anything useful either. Mind you, I've not put in the effort you have in terms of repetition. I'll give it a few tries and if I don't get anything interesting I'll move on, unless the event itself is amazing.

Same applies to lockboxes, profession packs, refinement caches etc. Event the last Tymora's Gift was pretty meh, the first one was much better.

It just reminds me why I dislike random rewards.

I admit I did get a Phoera in a lockbox once, although I had no interest in it so sold it. The only other reward companions I have are the Damaran shepherd, Fawn and frost mimic, all of which were earned and I at least knew what I had to do to get them.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . In my opinion, the companions (and anything that drops in CTAs really) should always be on the CTA vendors in addition to them dropping/being in the chest. This would allow us to buy them with our CTA merits and have clear goals to play towards instead of relying on RNG and often getting left feeling slighted. I loathe RNG systems and prefer clear reward systems.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I spent a huge amount of time on them and didn't get the companion in one or two, so far.
    This one I got around the 12th time. But I have gone over 150 with nothing.

I've learned to save enough AD to buy a companion, and play til my fingers
    fall off for the mounts (shadow wolf).

The set-up for the April Fool's dungeons was a good one, though. If you win
    one, you can sell it. Otherwise you use the dungeon's credits to buy a
    bind on pick-up version. Seems fair to me.

Of course we'd be adding even more currency than exists in the real world! ;)

Oh. I've held onto the dye packs and sold them later for decent AD.
    The enchantments I mostly throw into growing other types.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The thing about the CtA Enchants is that they actually provide a larger total amount of Stat Points than conventional Enchants. My advice? Hold on to them and see what they are going for in a month or two, especially Rank 7 and up. Could be worth your while to upgrade them for sale.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • dagormdagorm Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OK, I'll throw in my two cents worth. It has been my experience, on those highly infrequent occasions on which I have gotten a companion in the CTA chest, it has ALWAYS (and I mean "without exception") been AFTER SCORING THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF DAMAGE POINTS in the battles. I know it is claimed that they are rewarded on an RNG system, but I have come to suspect that it is one that is heavily "weighted" by the amount of damage done. Just saying.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can say that doing the most damage is not the answer to getting a pet from the CTA chest. Some of my toons get the pet in 1-5 tries while others can take up to 100. The ones that can get the highest damage are not among the lucky ones. :mad:

This is a total random thingie!!! :confused:
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dagorm wrote: »
    OK, I'll throw in my two cents worth. It has been my experience, on those highly infrequent occasions on which I have gotten a companion in the CTA chest, it has ALWAYS (and I mean "without exception") been AFTER SCORING THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF DAMAGE POINTS in the battles. I know it is claimed that they are rewarded on an RNG system, but I have come to suspect that it is one that is heavily "weighted" by the amount of damage done. Just saying.

It's not. I regularly finish top in damage in all the CTA events since they've started, typically running with all guild groups and haven't seen any correlation between who has and hasn't gotten a pet out of the chest at the end.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I have gotten a companion to drop once since the beginning of the CTA events. I have placed 1st in all of the categories multiple times and have not received the after doing so. I truly dislike the RNG, I have failed multiple refining attempts at 85% on a single rune, skill nodes regularly fail on successive attempts, Starmetal gauntlets have only gotten me rank 4 enchantments. So all in all I the feel the OP's pain. However I will continue to soldier on, because even the crappy stuff eventually accumulates value after the 300th run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    I've learned to save enough AD to buy a companion, and play til my fingers
    fall off for the mounts (shadow wolf).

And there was me thinking that the shadow wolf was a high drop rate because I got 3 or 4 within 20-30-40 runs or something. Though after that it took a while farming any more. I guess it's just the rng being rubbish in this game and streaky, either very bad luck, or very good luck.

I doubt it. It's probably just you trying to find a reason behind it (as people do) even if there isn't anything behind it.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Boy, do I often wish score was a factor. My main is a CW, scoring high is not really a problem, even despite the class. Ive been on runs, in both this CTA and past ones where I managed to get top score in damage dealt, damage taken, most kills, AND most healed. And this from a player of questionable skill and ability.

Random is random, i've yet to find the proper sacrifice to appease the Cryptic gods. But I know for certain, it isnt pure damage.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . In my opinion, the companions (and anything that drops in CTAs really) should always be on the CTA vendors in addition to them dropping/being in the chest. This would allow us to buy them with our CTA merits and have clear goals to play towards instead of relying on RNG and often getting left feeling slighted. I loathe RNG systems and prefer clear reward systems.

I absolutely agree.
  • seitrediciseitredici Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Boy, do I often wish score was a factor. My main is a CW, scoring high is not really a problem, even despite the class. Ive been on runs, in both this CTA and past ones where I managed to get top score in damage dealt, damage taken, most kills, AND most healed. And this from a player of questionable skill and ability.

Random is random, i've yet to find the proper sacrifice to appease the Cryptic gods. But I know for certain, it isnt pure damage.

Same here! I'm also a CW, and I've often gotten the top score in both damage & kills. Doesn't make any difference to what drops.

On a side note, I absolutely agree with what zebular posted. I REALLY wish they would just let us buy the companions from the vendor. I wouldn't mind doing that at all, because at least I'd have a chance. As it stands, I have zero chance. Like I said before, I literally get the same junk every single time. Here's a screencap I took earlier:

2igk65y.jpg

It never varies. I literally could've taken that exact same screencap hundreds of times. :mad:

Something needs to change. I really have no interest at all in continuing to do these events, when I never get anything from them besides trash. I try SO HARD, and just...nothing. Ever.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Indeed, I really liked how that worked in Respen's game.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    From the looks of the amount of Sprites on protector's enclave and even more in the auction house, I'd say this boils down to an RNG issue.

Sorry OP, guess other people just have more luck than you
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think Respen's game got it spot-on - offer BoP versions of the companion in the store, and offer a very rare chance at getting a BoE version form the chest at the end.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Same here! I have been at this CTA since it first opened and still nothing but a sh... a lot of dyes and rank 3s... I got one rank 5, but I want the companion! All my toons have over 500 medallions and their respective augment (that should tell you how much I have been at it) and still no companion drop :( ~PLEASE make the companion purchasable! I would like to have it for at least one toon in my collection. *gets on knees and begs*
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My bad luck today was not being able to get rewarded for doing the CTA, it bugged as I just got started, and no matter how many times i played it, I can neither collect my reward nor leave the map. Missed out on Skirmish hour because of that, now that's bad luck, doing it for no rewards.
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Yea.. kinda <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> drop i'd say. Sometimes you get 3 in 25ish rounds... sometimes other you get none for doing it @ 6 hours a day .. Best thing is to just make the companion purchasable using the medallion instead of the dye.. Which was like 100% drop anyway, no one would buy that.
  • irked01irked01 Banned Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2014
    lets see 67 times total between 2 toons and 1 pet (which happened on the 15th attempt with my DC) yet after that 30 matches nothing with dc and 21 matches with my cw nothing. lol
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

You're confusing correlation with causation, courtesy of the uncanny pattern matching skills of the human brain. It's a Markov chain that you're investing with meaning. Sadly, it doesn't work like this.

I'll second the sentiment that being able to buy the rewards with tokens if you don't get them as a drop is a very good way to arrange things. Respen's was an excellent event both in terms of fun and a clear path to your choice of reward.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    godhric wrote: »
    Yea.. kinda <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> drop i'd say. Sometimes you get 3 in 25ish rounds... sometimes other you get none for doing it @ 6 hours a day .. Best thing is to just make the companion purchasable using the medallion instead of the dye.. Which was like 100% drop anyway, no one would buy that.

...I actually buy the dyes. :) (I don't run the CTAs, so I don't get the 100% drop; I gathered some medals from Sword Coast and used that for dye. /shrug)
  • akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    seitredici wrote: »
    I'm going to write this because I'm genuinely kind of upset and frustrated right now.

Honestly, I don't understand why I never, EVER get the companions from the CTA events. EVER. I've done hundreds of runs on multiple characters through multiple CTAs, and I literally just get the same garbage rank 3 enchants and dye packs every single time. Companions DO NOT drop for me. TONS of other players get multiples and I get none. At all. Ever.

I want to know if it's possible that something is bugged for me. It's really kind of astounding that my "luck" would truly be that bad. Am I being punished for something? Do I not spend enough real money on Zen? Why is it always me who never gets anything, despite running the events hundreds of times and truly WANTING just one companion for my characters? :(

Hey all!

The Flame Sprite companion is a very rare and random drop. In fact, the Flame Sprite still eludes one such as me! That doesn't mean I'm givin' up though! ;)

Never give up, never surrender! To arms, my fellow adventurers!
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, know how you feel, literally every other cta, or event, I've had the companion drop within the first hour, or coin, pocket pet or whatever, but this time I've had no luck at all, had to buy one for my cw.

The rng hates me. All praise the rng.

It's not highest paingiver either, I've been getting that every other run.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I got a sprite about my 5th try, but in the last two events i got none for over 60 or so tries each. Folks may not like it, but it is fair for everyone.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    akromatik wrote: »
    Hey all!

The Flame Sprite companion is a very rare and random drop. In fact, the Flame Sprite still eludes one such as me! That doesn't mean I'm givin' up though! ;)

Never give up, never surrender! To arms, my fellow adventurers!

This CTA would have been playable if not those cut-scenes!
  • ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I second the notion the companion should be a purchasable item. If you're going to grind you might as well know you WILL BE rewarded at the end rather than this catch-as-catch-can approach in this CTA.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should have kept the setup from Respen. Being able to buy a bound companion after 20 runs or so is infinitely better than having some people getting 5 sprites the 1st day alone, while others never get a single one.

And yes, there is one of the luckiest people in game from Legit channel who I am pretty sure had 5 sprites on the 1st day. Hell, I think she got 12 pets from the CTA before Respens.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)