test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

the snowball effect in pvp domination.

Comments

• Options
    bobiwanbobiwan Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    In these types of lopsided games, you aren't even able to reach the node, the enemy team kills you so quickly. Or even if you do reach the node, the enemy team kills you very quickly, so you spend more time resurrecting than you did contesting it and denying the enemy a few points. That is why it's pointless.
    Think it through.
    If the only person not a campfire hero does this, very often, it can be pointless.
    But with the entire team playing, no death is pointless, those few seconds are often vital to get more fodder on the line to hold the node further. I have seen matches where skill overcame gear.
    The reason spawn-camping occurs is because we want a match, and the entire enemy team ran from it, and hide in their base.
    This is not what any PVPer should want, this is not competitive, this is not even trying.
    Again, any other game in existence will give you 0, nothing, nada, zilch, for that behavior; it is viewed as an exploit for it to do so.
    The only reason it is rampant in this game is because the game mechanics allow it, and I'd be willing to wager that won't last much longer.
  • Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think too many folks take it too personally if they are killed in pvp.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I shall recall one match in which my entire team camped;

The 5 of us combined for 2 kills. The enemy team had 26 kills between them. Now, you tell me how were we going to come back from a 500 - 0 score? Keep them busy on one node? Their GWF was capable of melting 3 of us at the same time.
    I have been on winning teams where all 5 of us were in the bottom half of the table. By some distance. the enemy team were so focussed on kills that they zerged all over the map hunting us down while we quietly capped points. And died a lot. :)

Not saying it happens very often, but it is possible. And that's why I won't give up unless every other member of my team does first. And sometimes even then I'll just run around annoying people. Depends on my mood and which toon I'm playing.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pherrow wrote: »
    I think too many folks take it too personally if they are killed in pvp.
    Try killing a Rogue while playing a CW. You'll have a new best friend for the entire match. :)
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    You realize however that the simple fact you queue with poor gear and low expectations means you are taking the place of someone with better gear and skills who could have helped their team against the same odds that seem to gall you into camping.
    Last time I looked there was no GS wall in PvP, but you are certainly right!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really like how some persons "view of the world" is the only one acceptable, and all who do not like "you" expect them to behave are ... others.
    By PuGing you expose yourself to feeling grieved by campfire sitters, so I recommend all die hard PvP'ers to avoid that.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    why play a timebased reward which will only give the enemy team double of what the losing team get.
    if they want to reduce people at campfires they should change rewardsystem, said this 10 months ago, but ok.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    It's really unfortunate that there's often one person that will give up if we lose the initial confrontation.

With my TR, I can definitely turn around a match by switching to annoyance mode and going and backcapping. But if someone goes afk or gives up, I won't have a chance to do that.

I've overcome deficits of 2-300 points by switching to annoyance mode, helping my team to cap points by keeping 2-3 of the enemy busy at their cap. I'm sure there's other things other people could do to change strategies as well but if you give up early you're not giving them the chance to adjust.

And if you give up after 1 confrontation well you're just a quitter.

In any case, early momentum is difficult to overcome so it's all the more reason to push the middle cap and win the first fight.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bobiwan wrote: »
    The reason spawn-camping occurs is because we want a match, and the entire enemy team ran from it, and hide in their base.

No, what you want to do is to farm n00bs for free kills so that you can get your bloodthirsty title, or something. You are just pissed off that the n00bs passively resist your attempts to farm them.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Think it through.
    If the only person not a campfire hero does this, very often, it can be pointless.
    But with the entire team playing, no death is pointless, those few seconds are often vital to get more fodder on the line to hold the node further. I have seen matches where skill overcame gear.
    This is not what any PVPer should want, this is not competitive, this is not even trying.
    Again, any other game in existence will give you 0, nothing, nada, zilch, for that behavior; it is viewed as an exploit for it to do so.
    The only reason it is rampant in this game is because the game mechanics allow it, and I'd be willing to wager that won't last much longer.

What you want is for this game's PVP to be something other than what it actually is. We aren't talking about "other games".

You think PVP must include people fighting all the time. What you really want is open-world PVP. That is not what Domination PVP is.

Stop trying to impose your view of what you think PVP *ought to be* onto what PVP actually is.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What you want is for this game's PVP to be something other than what it actually is. We aren't talking about "other games".

You think PVP must include people fighting all the time. What you really want is open-world PVP. That is not what Domination PVP is.

Stop trying to impose your view of what you think PVP *ought to be* onto what PVP actually is.

Well it certianly isn't being a campfire girl. So i guess no one knows what domination pvp is.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Well it certianly isn't being a campfire girl. So i guess no one knows what domination pvp is.
    I find your casual misogyny quaint, if slightly sad.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    God. All this rationalizing. I know punching puppies in the face is a dubious pastime. However, being a clever primate I can come up with a dozen excuses as to why it's justifiable if I want, and then back it up with chestbeating, rhetoric and empty polemic.

Doesn't change the fact that punching puppies in the face is basically bad behaviour.

It's the same with camping by the fire, unless everyone in the group instantaneously decides to camp, it's bad behaviour on the part of the one.

All the justification in the world does not change this basic truth.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »

When a match is over, it's over. You want people to stand there and be your punching bag?
  • Options
    bobiwanbobiwan Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You misunderstand.
    The reason all other games have mechanics to squash this kind of behavior is not of want. The NW PVP campfire hero issue is a classic case of the game mechanics being misused by gamers who want reward with no risk. Defending it is defending a sinking ship, also like defending exploiting CN for dd chests.
    As the poster above me said, your rationalizations are plain to see, but you still act like a bad monkey.
    It's not something we as PVP'ers have to push in any shape or form. Name another daily granting AD with the possibility of putting forth 0 effort to complete it.
    There really is none. It's just a matter of priorities as to when to patch it out, not if.
    chrcore wrote: »
    When a match is over, it's over. You want people to stand there and be your punching bag?
    No, I want you to use your brain. Again, it's not a deathmatch. Brain > Brawn.
    Match is not over until the points hit 1000. It's not over because you in your 'infinite' wisdom deem it so.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You misunderstand.
    The reason all other games have mechanics to squash this kind of behavior is not of want. The NW PVP campfire hero issue is a classic case of the game mechanics being misused by gamers who want reward with no risk. Defending it is defending a sinking ship, also like defending exploiting CN for dd chests.
    As the poster above me said, your rationalizations are plain to see, but you still act like a bad monkey.
    It's not something we as PVP'ers have to push in any shape or form. Name another daily granting AD with the possibility of putting forth 0 effort to complete it.
    There really is none. It's just a matter of priorities as to when to patch it out, not if.

0 effort for a single daily of rough ad? not as important as rough ad is easy to get (i mean really, 1-2 30-min pirate runs is all i need to cap it for the day and that is not counting the chest). glory is more important and that can be impossible for some if they get pushed back to spawn and are unable to kill any of the opposing team to successfully get the minimum points (hence y some go for home node 1st to make it easier if the entire team fails and i don't blame them for it).

staying at camp is still a valid option for as long as lopsided matches still exist. if u really want to kill a bunch of players that can't even fight back, then isn't that the same as hitting 1 of those target dummies in trade of blades? spawn campers even try to bait u with 1 vs 1 when we all know that it's just a trap to get u down so u can die by the whole group or their strongest member. i don't even think wizards/clerics/guardians ever ask for a 1 vs 1....ever since they know they will probably lose anyways despite camping the opposing team's spawn.

and since overpowered players can sometimes single-handedly decimate an entire team, if 1 appears on the enemy side then u r highly like to lose by a land-slide. i fought a jumping hunter who could keep attacking while running and not even letting a single melee get a step closer to him and defeated me + 2 other melees while only losing 50% hp (mostly from cloud of steel and deft strike as i couldn't even melee him). other times i run into gwf's who i can kill by myself or with help but will stomp over everyone else on my team single-handedly if i don't help them and i can't as my priority r the clerics/ranged dps (couple times i ran into actual high-end gwf's who i had no hope of killing with help outside of my daily). if u run into either of those situations, it's usually a game-over unless they let u win.

and yes, i still get sent into such lopsided matches as this "elo" thing rates me close to on-par as an entire enemy group of low-mid ranked players sometimes which can be bad since i might be grouped with 4 people that likely can't do anything but die and i can't carry a whole team of misfits, especially the 8k gs people (frequently getting grouped with 2 or 3 now >.<).

sometimes it's only seemingly balanced match as an overpowered gwf/hunter goes easy after the 1st min or from the start. then near the end, u realize that they were only letting u win to crush u later. if u win such a match, it's only because they gave your team a lead by hundreds of points.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    0 effort for a single daily of rough ad? not as important as rough ad is easy to get (i mean really, 1-2 30-min pirate runs is all i need to cap it for the day and that is not counting the chest).

I guess the real question here is , should anything award ad without effort. If it's ok to have free ad, then why not just have an option when you take the quest to forgo any glory and just take the ad. It would save people who hate pvp, but like ad, the effort of sitting at the campfire for 15-20 minutes 4 times a day.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    At this point is where you run from node to node capping, avoiding the enemy while capping nodes. They usually zerg the map and all stay capping one node instead of splitting up to multicap at that point, making this viable. The win need not come from direct conflict, you should realize this, it's how the perma-stealth rogue works.
    I'm not going to try to defend the matchmaking system, not my job. That said, skill and tactics CAN surmount gear, use your brain instead of your brawn.

You don't think I've tried that? I've tried to backcap in these matches, but the fight at mid is over so fast that I then end up with 2/3/4/5 enemy players running to come and kill me on their home node. Then they go back and kill my teammates who have rezzed and returned to mid. Then I come alive and try backcap again, before they wipe mid and come for me again. Rinse. Repeat. It is slaughter up and down the map in these scenarios. I may get lucky and backcap, but bet your bottom dollar I will get intercepted by 1/2/3 of them when trying to escape to another node. At this point they themselves know they are better so they are no longer sitting on nodes, they are actively hunting you down.

I know when I am way out of my league. I fought against Enemy Team before and lost 1000 - 400. As soon as I saw the name I knew it was almost a certain defeat, but I fought to the end because even though they were superior we were still good enough as a group to give them problems. Then I've been in matches where I am simply not good enough or the team composition is just inferior and it is 500 - 0, I have no kills and maybe an assist or 2. In some of these matches I am killed again within 20 seconds of respawning.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    And yet, how did I get my r7s..? And my profound gear..? By always fighting with my team.

Your gear is only half your problem. Trouble is you're making your problem a problem for anyone who ends up in a team with you. And that is where the unfairness lies.

The TEAM, as a collective, has amassed ZERO points between them. The enemy already has 500/600/700 points. The TEAM, as a collective, has two or three kills between five players. The enemy has 20 kills between them. Whether I or someone else camps first makes no difference. The five of us can't do a thing as it is, so whether 1,2 or 3 camp makes no difference, we are getting ganked.

For the record, I have 4/4 Grim, 2/4 Profound. 1200 kills. I have enough experience to know my team is simply no match for the enemy and I will ensure I take steps to end such utterly useless bloodbaths as quickly as possible so we can all - hopefully - move on to a more balanced match. Same as when my team is the dominant one. If you camp because you are no match for us I understand.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This situation would be funnier translated into pve terms, imagine if you'd fought and run your way to the deck of the pirate king, only to find him and his scurvy mates sitting out of range in the rigging. Later the king posts on the forums:

"Yeah, well, you know I felt I was justified in my decision to not become treasure-fodder for those goshdarned rolf-stomping greedrunners for the thousandth time. I mean, it's just not a good investment of my time, and up in the rigging I can always update my facebook status, great reception."

In pvp, you sign up to play your part, sometimes you have to be a good sport and play the part of gallant loser. It's player vs. Player, not attention span vs. Attention span.

I think I'll start a suggestion thread, asking the dev.s to alter the pve bosses' behavioural scripts to be more lifelike - add a 'camp round the fire' gambit into their action tree.
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

No, I want you to use your brain. Again, it's not a deathmatch. Brain > Brawn.
    Match is not over until the points hit 1000. It's not over because you in your 'infinite' wisdom deem it so.

I don't think you understand what that means. I'm not talking about close losing matches or even 1000 to 500 matches. I'm talking about 1000 to 200 or even 0 matches. When your team is getting slaughtered and can't hold any points, let alone get off the campfire without getting slaughtered it's game over no matter what the score.

This could be the result of folks on your team with 8000 GS, 4x5 or 3x5 scenarios. In any case, folks are not there to be your punching bags just so you can wrack up kills.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think the "quitters" can be broken down into 3 different categories.

1. A "quitter" who doesn't leave the campfire at all and who puts zero effort in throughout the match. Okay I can see how this is reasonably exploitative of the system. Probably shouldn't be allowed. So to fix this, how about making everyone start at their own home base instead of starting at the campfire. Therefore everyone would have to participate at least a little bit initially.

2. A "quitter" who initially tries to win, but who gives up when the match is hopelessly lost, like when the score is 700-0 or something. This person has basically conceded defeat. I don't see any problems with that at all. And quite frankly, people who demand that these quitters "keep fighting no matter what" are really more interested in humiliating and tormenting undergeared/underskilled players, and/or obtaining their Bloodthirsty titles at the expense of n00bs, rather than being interested in anything approaching honorable combat.

3. A "quitter" who initially tries to win, but who gives up while the score is still reasonably close. I think this is a much tougher judgment call because it depends so much on the particular circumstances. If I see my team is pretty much clueless, and the other team has 3 GWFs/2 TRs sporting BIS gear and Emblems, then it's pretty much over from the beginning.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This situation would be funnier translated into pve terms, imagine if you'd fought and run your way to the deck of the pirate king, only to find him and his scurvy mates sitting out of range in the rigging. Later the king posts on the forums:

"Yeah, well, you know I felt I was justified in my decision to not become treasure-fodder for those goshdarned rolf-stomping greedrunners for the thousandth time. I mean, it's just not a good investment of my time, and up in the rigging I can always update my facebook status, great reception."

Okay, to continue this analogy further - So the Pirate King chooses not to fight you, but after 10 minutes have elapsed, you get the DD chest *anyway*. What is the big deal now? That you had to wait 10 minutes to get the DD chest? Big deal!

In pvp, you sign up to play your part, sometimes you have to be a good sport and play the part of gallant loser. It's player vs. Player, not attention span vs. Attention span.

"Gallant loser" is not the same as "punching bag".
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So, scrap the bosses, and just rate each dungeons by the time you have to wait..?

:)

Like epic dungeons are so difficult... you have to wait in the boss zone a whole hour before the chest opens... omg. I'll have to upgrade my enchants to rank 10 attention span gain, otherwise I... just... won't... make... it...

You realize you're missing the whole point of the game, and destroying it for others in the process. You shouldn't be rewarded for your ability to wait.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So your big issue is that players are rewarded even though they gave up in a hopelessly losing fight?

WHY DO YOU CARE? Seriously, how does it affect you in the slightest?
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Try killing a Rogue while playing a CW. You'll have a new best friend for the entire match. :)

Killing a perma-TR with a CW? Easy, just use lantern of revelation as some thread suggested
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So your big issue is that players are rewarded even though they gave up in a hopelessly losing fight?

WHY DO YOU CARE? Seriously, how does it affect you in the slightest?

Slippery slopes, people get too used to resignation in real life without a game teaching them the same lesson over and over on the microscale.

Equally however, what does it cost you..? To provide amusement for the other team..? Utilitarian-wise, I mean..? Your getting stomped costs you nothing, the exact same waiting time, albeit plus a few keystrokes, and your contribution helps the other team acrue more glory. You're helping someone.

My mum says helping people is a good thing.
  • Options
    omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    froszzt wrote: »
    If the classes were balanced then I would argue that everyone who queued should get out there and fight.

However... With permas and train GWF's trolling most pvp games, what do you expect the none-trolls to do? Go out there and entertain them for 25 minutes? Nah. When I run into a party of premades with 2 GWF 2 TR 1 google build oppressor shard on tab-boring CW I will also stand in the campfire within a minute or two.

This could not of been said better! the TR permas are a garbage class, this is something that needs to change we need to have something better then a 3 min recharging lantern to see them and by the time it goes off after they stunn you and take 3/4 of your health u might get 3 shots in then your dead. ow and by the way when they die and soul res erects them the lantern is gone and so are they!!!! perma needs to be fixed.
    A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If you cant beat em, nerf em. A common loser refrain.

Learn to beat them, or go around them, or get buff and come back.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Slippery slopes, people get too used to resignation in real life without a game teaching them the same lesson over and over on the microscale.

Equally however, what does it cost you..? To provide amusement for the other team..? Utilitarian-wise, I mean..? Your getting stomped costs you nothing, the exact same waiting time, albeit plus a few keystrokes, and your contribution helps the other team acrue more glory. You're helping someone.

My mum says helping people is a good thing.

You can't be serious.

In any event, you're not my teacher, you're not my mum, and I don't need NW PVP to teach me important life lessons.

I'm not your object for amusement.