What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

the snowball effect in pvp domination.

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, where is it explained actually where the points from a Domination match come from? It took me a while to figure it out too. I can still remember, in my very first PVP match, when the game thundered "Your Team Dominates", I thought that meant our team was winning.
  • Options
    vyperwoovyperwoo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the idea of the surrender button. Although I can see that being exploited and just causing a whole lot more grief.

Nothing worse than getting into a match and watching 1 or 2 players quit after the first or second push, at least with the leaver penalty they are forced to stay and you at least have a chance to stroke their ego into giving it another push or so.

All and all, pvp imo, is much butter off than it was a month before the patch hit, when you were constantly having 4 v 5 or 3 v 5's.
  • Options
    ninefingers222ninefingers222 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am disturbed by how many kills I get playing my leveling-bracket GF who has absolutely no Tenacity gear, and by how many times I have singlehandedly turned a losing match around by backcapping and the entire enemy team feeling that they need to 4v1 me for the better part of 30 seconds before I die.

I'm also disturbed by how many people in leveling-bracket PvP don't realize that contesting nodes stops the enemy point gain from that node.

Rest assured about half the people doing pvp post level 60 also have absolutely no clue that contesting nodes stops the enemy from getting points, true story .
    Essence of Aggression, OG PvP GWF
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    vyperwoo wrote: »
    All and all, pvp imo, is much butter off than it was a month before the patch hit, when you were constantly having 4 v 5 or 3 v 5's.
    But you aware that there were also 5v3 and 5v4 matches, that were very, very appreciated by the team on the "5" side?
    It might not be what "a true PvP'er" wishes for, but possibly what 100% of the glory farmers/daily AD farmers hope for.
    Just saying that there are always 2 sides of the medal.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But you aware that there were also 5v3 and 5v4 matches, that were very, very appreciated by the team on the "5" side?
    It might not be what "a true PvP'er" wishes for, but possibly what 100% of the glory farmers/daily AD farmers hope for.
    Just saying that there are always 2 sides of the medal.

Whether they left b4 or camp fire now, I still get more actual fighting in now than I ever did b4 the patch. The system has it's flaws but for me, the system makes pvp much more enjoyable.

Camp fire boot and back filling would be a nice addition, along with the current leaver penalty.

I don't really think it's necessary to over complicate the system with rewards based on team makeup and GS. Additional rewards for damage, healing, and points captured would be nice. Even just a chart that shows them would be a start.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Camp fire boot [...] would be a nice addition
    What would you achieve by implementing this mechanic?
    Someone stays at the campfire for his own reasons. You obviously would like to ignore this persons reasoning and have their toon gutted and menaced. This person says through his action that he does not want to participate in a fight with any of the 5 present opponents.
    What is your (a general "your", not exclusively addressed to the quoted as such) motivation to have them "booted" or what would you gain from having them at the point of your sword/dagger/orb/icon?
    This person seems not to fight back, having abandoned this fight.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If there is "camp fire booting", then fine, I'll just be booted and just stand there. I won't fight back. You'll just kill me over and over. Is that what you *really* want?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In truth the only thing that improved your pvp experience is the leaver penalty... matchmaking is as lopsided as ever, 9 out 10 matches I do we actually have to let the other team cap for them to get at least 1 on the score board .
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In truth the only thing that improved your pvp experience is the leaver penalty... matchmaking is as lopsided as ever, 9 out 10 matches I do we actually have to let the other team cap for them to get at least 1 on the score board .

There are certainly people who are very good at pvp, such as you are. 99% of people are not. They just play for fun. Nice brag post though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Why do you do this? Why do you swarm them so swiftly that they aren't even able to cap one node?

I understand that if you are playing against a full premade, you want to use every tactic available to you, because you know your opponent is going to be very tough. But when you are PUGging, sheesh, why is it necessary to act as if you are playing against a full premade?

I gotta say, these PVPers who act as if every match is them vs. the top tier players from the top tier PVP guild, utterly ruin and destroy my PVP experience, as a very casual player.

If you *know* you are just so OP in PVP, why do you have to take it out on PUGs like that?
  • Options
    yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Dunno.

I still try and find some fun regardless of the circumstance.

A 200 point deficit is really not much. Some of the most thrilling victories are comebacks. Much more exciting then a 1000-0 blowout.

If I'm up by 200 and I see my teammates get over-confident and start running up ramps, splitting up, or acting foolishly I worry, and if I'm down by 200 and the other team splits up and starts running off-node I get excited because we still have a good chance.

If things are bad and the middle point seems impossible and the other team is much stronger and a blow-out loss seems inevitable, I like to run past the fighting and try to stand on their back node.
    Hopefully I'll draw 3-4-5 of them back to fight me. I usually play a toon who is survival built (my pvp toons are different then my pve toons and built only for pvp).
    Maybe I don't kill or capture but hopefully draw the enemy back so we can capture our node and mid then try to meet them at mid after my death/respawn/escape.

I try to leave myself an out (stealth, forest ghost, lantern heal, etc) to escape, but even in death, maybe I change the dynamic with that move. Simply that disruption of the other teams flow has caused a turn around.

If you can't beat them with skill or gear then try to use psychology and play on their aggressiveness.
    Some super-powerful players will chase you across the earth to kill you as "pay-back" even if it means losing a node.
    Exploit that.
    Draw them off-node by harassing the aggressive types just out of range and they will leave the node and let your teammates take it just to kill/spite you.

Communicate with your team (not yell at them) a plan so you all meet at mid, or whatever.

If all of that fails and you are hopelessly down then I just play spoiler and try to gank the other teams hot-shot, or pick on somebody over and over, or hit-and-run their nodes. Doesn't get a victory but at least its fun.

Never been spawned unless most of my team is AFK (can 5 determined players be so easily corralled?) so is that their fault or ours?
  • Options
    jfingerbiterjfingerbiter Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As I see it, PvP has two problems.

1. completely unbalanced match making

I am relatively new to the game (playing since January) and joined a guild very shortly after dinging to 60. I only have one toon and I'm a casual player so I cannot sit on the computer all day and night and collect epic gear. Forget gearing specifically for PvE vs. PvP. My guild is small so there's no guild bank full to T2 gear to max me (or even T1) out with.

The matchmaking system clearly ignores GS and team composition. When I get into a PvP session and I'm the best geared player on my team, I know the score is going to be 1000-0 (maybe 1 if we're lucky). If the entire opponent team has Soulforge gear and nobody on my team has a single enchantment it's going to be a quick, lop-sided match.

It's frustrating to enter a match where I cannot even hit the opponent: happened to me last night. I play GFW and the opponent team was 3 CWs and 2 HRs. Due to control effects I was dead before I could get to them (remember: I'm not uber). I ended the round with 0 kills and 14 deaths (only 2 assists).

It's equally frustrating to mash on a GFW or GF for a minute and not actually hurt them: I had a session last week when my team wound up ganging up on the GFW (since he was single-handedly killing us whenever we were in his range) and all 5 of us working together couldn't kill him. We managed to knock him down several times but we couldn't take him out. That GFW ended the match with more than 50 kills and 0 deaths. Every one of us died more than 10 times and I think we maybe, collectively, managed to get a couple kills out of the other players on that team.

I understand lots of folks have more time to play and want to be die-hard PvPers. That's fine: give them their own queue based on GS or make it manual: let a player choose if they want "casual" PvP or "epic" PvP. Keep track of kill ratio so if someone is choosing "casual" just to grief they get a GS penalty or blocked from joining.

2. AFKers who do nothing at all/quit after dying once or twice

It's very frustrating when your "team" never leaves the safety of the circle: last night 2 players in 2 different matches literally didn't move the entire match. 4 on 5 and 3 on 5 matches are not fun.

One way to solve this is to make the safe zone NOT SAFE after a brief period - maybe 10 or 20 seconds. Why not, there's no rez sickness in PvP so you don't need to heal/fix wounds. Get out there and fight or choose to instead die cowardly over and over and over again. Add a tracker for deaths inside the "safe" zone and make a penalty for dying on the safe zone (maybe forfeit glory or a 24-hour mark of shame).

There's also the problem of the other team camping the exit: make this area a place where the other team takes minor damage so they cannot just camp.

People stay in the safe zone in the first place because the teams are completely unbalanced. Fix that issue and maybe nothing needs to be done about #2.

I will say, I've had a small number of PvP sessions when the teams _were balanced_ and the scores were very close - last week I was one the losing end of match that finished 1000-980ish. Those matches are a lot of fun.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As I see it, PvP has two problems.

1. completely unbalanced match making

I am relatively new to the game (playing since January) and joined a guild very shortly after dinging to 60. I only have one toon and I'm a casual player so I cannot sit on the computer all day and night and collect epic gear. Forget gearing specifically for PvE vs. PvP. My guild is small so there's no guild bank full to T2 gear to max me (or even T1) out with.

The matchmaking system clearly ignores GS and team composition. When I get into a PvP session and I'm the best geared player on my team, I know the score is going to be 1000-0 (maybe 1 if we're lucky). If the entire opponent team has Soulforge gear and nobody on my team has a single enchantment it's going to be a quick, lop-sided match.

It's frustrating to enter a match where I cannot even hit the opponent: happened to me last night. I play GFW and the opponent team was 3 CWs and 2 HRs. Due to control effects I was dead before I could get to them (remember: I'm not uber). I ended the round with 0 kills and 14 deaths (only 2 assists).

It's equally frustrating to mash on a GFW or GF for a minute and not actually hurt them: I had a session last week when my team wound up ganging up on the GFW (since he was single-handedly killing us whenever we were in his range) and all 5 of us working together couldn't kill him. We managed to knock him down several times but we couldn't take him out. That GFW ended the match with more than 50 kills and 0 deaths. Every one of us died more than 10 times and I think we maybe, collectively, managed to get a couple kills out of the other players on that team.

I understand lots of folks have more time to play and want to be die-hard PvPers. That's fine: give them their own queue based on GS or make it manual: let a player choose if they want "casual" PvP or "epic" PvP. Keep track of kill ratio so if someone is choosing "casual" just to grief they get a GS penalty or blocked from joining.

2. AFKers who do nothing at all/quit after dying once or twice

It's very frustrating when your "team" never leaves the safety of the circle: last night 2 players in 2 different matches literally didn't move the entire match. 4 on 5 and 3 on 5 matches are not fun.

One way to solve this is to make the safe zone NOT SAFE after a brief period - maybe 10 or 20 seconds. Why not, there's no rez sickness in PvP so you don't need to heal/fix wounds. Get out there and fight or choose to instead die cowardly over and over and over again. Add a tracker for deaths inside the "safe" zone and make a penalty for dying on the safe zone (maybe forfeit glory or a 24-hour mark of shame).

There's also the problem of the other team camping the exit: make this area a place where the other team takes minor damage so they cannot just camp.

People stay in the safe zone in the first place because the teams are completely unbalanced. Fix that issue and maybe nothing needs to be done about #2.

I will say, I've had a small number of PvP sessions when the teams _were balanced_ and the scores were very close - last week I was one the losing end of match that finished 1000-980ish. Those matches are a lot of fun.

the safe zone needs to be there for legit players. I do see a lot of campfire girls in pvp. especially during the event as there are folks that just want to sit there and get thier 4 matches. Perhaps the campfire should boot you to your home point objective after 30 or 45 seconds or whatever is fair. I really don't know the best solution to this problem,but at least this one does something.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Why not just let them sit there?

Why is that so horrible?
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When the match is clearly lost and my team continuing to fight is accomplishing nothing except feeding the other team Glory for kills, you can bet I'm going to stop. I'm not going to jump down from the campfire and be someone's glory farm when the previous half of the match has made it abundantly clear that none of my team has any chance of actually accomplishing anything. I give every match a good effort and I try my best to win until it's clear that we have been absolutely beaten. I shouldn't be expected to provide the winners with additional Glory past that point, nor would I ask it provided to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Why not just let them sit there?

Why is that so horrible?

Because it ruins the experience for the folks who, you know, came to actually play; not sip their coffee and check FB while the rest of the team dies. If you're there just to get your AD then you're not playing, your camping.

Go get in a group of 4 other campers and be bored together! Here's your macro: "/lfg lf4m to camp PvP and farm AD; doing anything more than sitting will only get you humiliated over and over by the other team while I drink my latte!"

PvP, is it is today is a TEAM event and even if the classes were perfectly balanced being a man down is an extreme disadvantage. Sitting on your butt doing nothing is not teamwork!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When the match is clearly lost and my team continuing to fight is accomplishing nothing except feeding the other team Glory for kills, you can bet I'm going to stop. I'm not going to jump down from the campfire and be someone's glory farm when the previous half of the match has made it abundantly clear that none of my team has any chance of actually accomplishing anything. I give every match a good effort and I try my best to win until it's clear that we have been absolutely beaten. I shouldn't be expected to provide the winners with additional Glory past that point, nor would I ask it provided to me.

I understand your point.

While player skill certainly drives outcome, an improved matching making system that evens out GS or an alternate queue for die-hard PvPers may make it unnecessary.

As it is though, too many people join a PvP session and never lift a finger: they only want their AD and they laugh while the rest of the team gets wiped repeatedly.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Oh don't give me the whole "it ruins the experience for the rest of the team" baloney.

What you really want to do is farm n00bs for kills, and if the n00bs passively resist, like AFKing or (prior to the patch) just outright leaving, then that gets you mad.

You want to farm n00bs for kills, and n00bs don't appreciate being farmed.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What would you achieve by implementing this mechanic?
    Someone stays at the campfire for his own reasons. You obviously would like to ignore this persons reasoning and have their toon gutted and menaced. This person says through his action that he does not want to participate in a fight with any of the 5 present opponents.
    What is your (a general "your", not exclusively addressed to the quoted as such) motivation to have them "booted" or what would you gain from having them at the point of your sword/dagger/orb/icon?
    This person seems not to fight back, having abandoned this fight.

Giving people easier than easy kills isn't the answer. Sorry if my wording wasn't clear.

Boot them for the match after sitting at the camp fire too long. Apply the leaver penalty after they are booted, even giving players the options to vote to kick would all be better options imo than an attempt to balance glory point gain.

But if someone doesn't want to participate in the match then they should be booted and the system should put someone in there place that does.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Did you read my post? I am one of the newbies. I don't have any T2 gear - i just found my first matching T1 set piece last night (woohoo: 2 pieces from the same set gives me a HP bonus!). I have no weapon or armor enchantments (I've tried making some but the 1% success rate means it'll be 2099 before I get one success). I've been in PvP matches where my entire team had collectively zero kills and 50+ deaths all at the hands of one uber GFW.

I don't mind losing - that's how you get experience - and I fight all the way to the end. Last night I was trying to get a 1on1 with an HR from the other team when the rest of my team quit (2 players didn't move the entire round).

I want a system where I can join a PvP session and my team is composed of players with similar gear and experience of the other team. This almost never happens today. When it does though, it is really, really fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But if someone doesn't want to participate in the match then they should be booted and the system should put someone in there place that does.

There is no POINT in participating when the score is 700-0.

It just pisses you off when the undergeared n00bs passively resist your attempts to farm them.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Did you read my post? I am one of the newbies. I don't have any T2 gear. I have no weapon or armor enchantments (I've tried making some but the 1% success rate means it'll be 2099 before I get one success). I've been in PvP matches where my entire team had collective zero kills and 50+ deaths all at the hands of one uber GFW.

I don't mind losing - that's how you get experience - and I fight all the way to the end. Last night I was trying to get a 1on1 with an HR from the other team when the rest of my team quit (2 players didn't move the entire round).

See, that's the difference.

You fight for the sake of fighting. I don't.

I fight for the sake of winning a match. When it's no longer possible to win a match, I stop fighting.

Curiously enough, NW PVP is set up so that the objective is to win a match via node capping, not necessarily by fighting a lot.

If you want to fight for the sake of fighting, then go to open-world PVP on the preview server.

If you want to participate in NW PVP in the Domination mode as it is currently established, then stop trying to penalize people for participating in the PVP experience as established by the PVP mode that currently exists.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I want a system where I can join a PvP session and my team is composed of players with similar gear and experience of the other team. This almost never happens today. When it does though, it is really, really fun.

... and who all have the same motivation as you, i.e., to fight for the sake of fighting.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There is no POINT in participating when the score is 700-0.

It just pisses you off when the undergeared n00bs passively resist your attempts to farm them.

Nah it pisses me off when I hit the que button and I don't get to fight b/c someone decides that they can't win after the first push.

In PvE if you decide to not participate you are replaced, I don't see why that logic wouldn't work in PvP. Most if not all MMO's I have played have some sort of leaver penalty and system in place so you just don't go in and sit while others fight.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Curiously enough, NW PVP is set up so that the objective is to win a match via node capping, not necessarily by fighting a lot.

Yes, I figured this out in my very first match. However, you almost always have to fight to capture a point and if you're seriously undergeared compared to the opponent you are going to lose. No amount of player skill can make up for a significant gear difference.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Nah it pisses me off when I hit the que button and I don't get to fight b/c someone decides that they can't win after the first push.

Or even before the 1st push...
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I think your team should be able to push you out of the spawn. Seriously, if you are on my team and give up like a (can't say that here), at least let me push you down so you die and I can feel better. I'm sick of quitters ruining my pvp experience. Yes, I know I could join a guild and play with them, but I prefer to play solo. I feel like it is more of a challenge of my skills. So let me remove those who are only dragging the fun down!

/rant
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I love when people ask for Emblem nerf, is it to hard to not hit the user when he procs it, no god forbid you use your brain, what makes emblem op are the idiots who don't understand it, so yeah lets just nerf one of the most expensive and hardest thing to obtain in this game for the sake of the stupid people (emblem like all artifacts is bind on equip btw), screw the end game players who had to grind weeks or months for all their gear ...

It is not that Emblem alone is OP, or Vorpal- it is "op" when everyone on the other team has the highest possible ranked versions of these. By "fix" I don't mean eliminate them. But they are MAJOR contributing factors to the power of a team and are NOT counted as such. All pVorps and LEmblems = default win when everyone on team a has them and no one on team b has hem. Yet these are not taken into consideration by matchmaking. Theoretically the elo will sort out via wins/losses who has these and who doesnt, but the reality of that nice theory is worth less than what you find in a recently used toilet, when you factor in player population, certain times of day, so on.

So it is broken and needs fixed.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    ... and who all have the same motivation as you, i.e., to fight for the sake of fighting.

Well if you listen to the "officials", it just takes time for the system to sort its self out. So be patient. /sarcasm/ It strikes me as silly that a problem requiring immediate damage control receives a fix that takes time to sort its self out. The very definition of cluster****.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    There are certainly people who are very good at pvp, such as you are. 99% of people are not. They just play for fun. Nice brag post though.

It really wasn't a brag post, just feedback on how lopsided matchmaking is, do you think it's fun for us to roflstomp pugs? we want the same thing as you guys proper matchmaking ...