Install Arc
Options

Jump in pvp = 0 damage....

Comments

• Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    froszzt wrote: »
    Funny how the paying customers seem to be more.. ehrm, practical, than the rest. What kind of useful stuff are you up to in the air? Reading a book or cooking spaghetti? :D And yes, both of those are useful. :>

It's more movement control, a lot of at wills for a CW for instance RoF can have a tick used while jumping and moving, whereas normally you'd stand still. You can also jump past an enemy and dash the way you came, you'll be facing him but he'll be distracted and spend time looking for you. Encounters can have the amount of time you are "stunned" by their animation cut short by starting them while moving in the air, and some encounters you can actually jump out of the extra animation stunlock after the attack has gone off.
  • Options
    calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited March 2014
    How the hell has this idiotic thread not been banished to the lower depths yet?

Mods do something usefull for once?

Kthx
  • Options
    js3bjs3b Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    calous78 wrote: »
    How the hell has this idiotic thread not been banished to the lower depths yet?

Mods do something usefull for once?

Kthx

Yeah please mod, how about baning a guy who come on a forum just to insult people and can't have a discussion in anything he don't agree about !?
    Founder back a week ago, already pissed by cryptic ''no roll back'' decision

• Options
    calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited March 2014
    js3b wrote: »
    Yeah please mod, how about baning a guy who come on a forum just to insult people and can't have a discussion in anything he don't agree about !?

Yeah... I prolly got at least a 3 day ban coming my way after all the trolling I did last night at work. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah... I prolly got at least a 3 day ban coming my way after all the trolling I did last night at work. :cool:

You know wouldn't kill you to be kind some times ;)

Anyway ill do a SS of the combat log when i go pvp again, im kind of busy right now but probly later tonight

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With a TR using Blitz (nobody jump on me for using Blitz in solo PvE, kk?), if you jump-cast then the power doesn't send you darting backwards. If I want to follow up with a melee attack, I jump. If I want to create distance, I use the power without jumping. The timing is pretty twitchy, but it's a neat application.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited March 2014
    I main a GF and when I jump or others jump i tend to see the Dodge or 0 dmg (even though they dont even use their dodge mechanic mid-air) pop up from time to time , most recent was when a CW used Ice Storm and i jumped during its animation and recieved 0 dmg because it said i dodged it but i was right on top of him NOT blocking lol.

I can definitely vouch that jumping does have a dodge / mitigation mechanic in it thats probably unintentional. I however do tend to use it alot because the targeting in this game isn't to my liking so i use that to get a lunge on the backline..instead of a pesky Unstoppable GWF or ITC TR lol or even used to reach targets in sniper positionons , right angle and you can warp up there ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I just fought a mage, who dodge my threatening rush 8 time in a row jumping around... nice mechanics...

• Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just fought a mage, who dodge my threatening rush 8 time in a row jumping around... nice mechanics...

Got evidence yet? Still waiting.

Or do I have to cite my pink GWF sightings where this one time a GWF dressed in a tutu teleported 100feet by jumping and then magically killed me with one shot? It's true. Honest.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nothing is more fun then launching a bunny hopper with bulls charge like a moon shot.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's lag man, pretty normal with CWs dodge, it looks like you should have hit them but they have teleported, just not quite on your screen yet. Got some videos up of 1v1 with CW it happens a lot in that vid, you can also see a lot of his stuff still hit me when blocking, but it was just lag and I was late.

I was also hammered so that helped me come to the conclusion that it was probably me =P

Well that mage should have a lot of stamina/stam regain in order to dodge 5 time in less than 15 second...

• Options
    edited April 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Got evidence yet? Still waiting.

Or do I have to cite my pink GWF sightings where this one time a GWF dressed in a tutu teleported 100feet by jumping and then magically killed me with one shot? It's true. Honest.

as stated before, im not taking any video, and wont. The evidence is there, lot of people agree that there is something wrong with the jump mechanic, i am not the only one, just ask around you will see.

As for the combat log, it wont show dodged attack in them... or i can't seem to find them in the 10000000000000000000 line there is created when i pvp :)

• Options
    blanksalotblanksalot Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4
    edited April 2014
    I have also noticed the 0 damage messages that sometimes appear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, this happens. It is NOT NOT NOT related to jumping. Prove me wrong.

The dodge 5 time in 15 second on a cw is related to jumping, prove me wrong! :)

ACT is a 3rd party programe therefor illegal to use according to TOS...

Even if i go with only ''you'' or ''other'' in combat log it doesn't change the fact that there is way too much line to spot the exact moment in the pvp where it actualy happens.

Stop being a jerk i know you saw it happens also :)

Everyone on this forum can just click your name and read your post to see what and who you are, so just stop posting please ? Get a life, stop trying to get reaction from people by posting negative comment all around the internet..

• Options
    pochemoanepochemoane Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The dodge 5 time in 15 second on a cw is related to jumping, prove me wrong! :)

ACT is a 3rd party programe therefor illegal to use according to TOS...

1. if you keep close to a cw you can make him dodge with a very small pause. look into their powers 1st then scream cheat. there is a t1 feat(severe reaction) in opressor that does this: When struck you have a 15% chance to repel your attacker 1/2/3/4/5 feet and restore 2/4/6/8/10% of your Stamina. This only works within 20 feet.

the repel part could make you miss your threatening rush and the stamina recovery combined with other stamina regeneration bonuses can make him dodge all day as long as you keep trying to get close to him.

2. ACT doesn't interfere in any way with the game to be called illegal. it just reads some info in a file created by your in game command
  • Options
    goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a theory about this why people jump, I see few benefits from this:

1. When you jump and use any skill you continue to move so you earn time yes the distance is short but you have it.
    2. When you jump and someone try to hit you with close range limited skill if you go out of it range during you fly you will get 0 dmg or you will see dodge/immune.
    3. I am not sure about this and it can be tested with classes that have skill like that, so, when you jump and someone hit you with skill that need to knockdown you first and then to do any dmg and you are in jump if there is bug you will get 0 dmg. (maybe like Ice Knife I am not sure about name/class)
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    blanksalot wrote: »
    I have also noticed the 0 damage messages that sometimes appear.

Yep I can confirme this. Happened to fight a really geared team in a pug last night - HRs and GWFs. The rangers were constantly jumping and I did notice them taking no damage at times as opposed to when their Bark took my hit and they did register some damage.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    Yep I can confirme this. Happened to fight a really geared team in a pug last night - HRs and GWFs. The rangers were constantly jumping and I did notice them taking no damage at times as opposed to when their Bark took my hit and they did register some damage.

Many many months, still no factual evidence.

Just a lot of big-foot sightings.
  • Options
    urd01urd01 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Many many months, still no factual evidence.

Just a lot of big-foot sightings.

Not going to argue a whole lot here, but why are so many people spending their entire encounters jumping around instead of just running normally then? Surely it must be much easier to just fight normally then having to keep pressing a button extra every second?

If said people also are good pvp'ers with very high gearscores and top placements whenever they are in a match..... Then I would be VERY surprised if there was no reason for it other then perhaps become a slightly less obvious target.

---end---
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    urd01 wrote: »
    perhaps become a slightly less obvious target

dingdingding winner
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Not going to argue a whole lot here, but why are so many people spending their entire encounters jumping around instead of just running normally then? Surely it must be much easier to just fight normally then having to keep pressing a button extra every second?

If said people also are good pvp'ers with very high gearscores and top placements whenever they are in a match..... Then I would be VERY surprised if there was no reason for it other then perhaps become a slightly less obvious target.

---end---

well i noticed that u can jump out of skill range but u cant run out of it.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Jumping allows you to still move while casting abilities that have cast-times where otherwise you'd be stationary. You can also close some distance while casting.

Plus it's just a bit harder to target someone constantly jumping.

Personally I find it annoying how much people jump in PVP, but I use it myself for aimed strike (melee skill that has a long cast-time).
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014

---end---

Sense of rythm + habit.

Jump attacks of opportunity makes melees feel as if the attack range is increased, and for ranged makes them feel they are distancing themselves further away with each attack. In some cases this actually applies, while other cases simply placebo. But even if its placebo, you do whatever habit that makes you feel better or more confident.

Besides, especially for TRs jumping is a quintessential habit as their major attack of Duelist's Flurry requires jump attacks to be used successfully. Also for ranged, jump attacks does actually sometimes buy enough distance to force enemy melees to miss -- In my Vengeance's Pursuit-Dazing Strike combo days, I've experienced many HRs or CWs jumping around backwards, in which case even if they are hit by my 1 second stun, they become just far enough for my next attack to miss. It's a practical habit.

I jump around for the same reasons.

I don't ever expect to rely on some foolish magic hocus-pocus bug to give me zero damage. Never expected such. But jumping around annoys some fools who think that there is indeed some magic bug. So if it f***s with their mind by angering and annoying them, why not? Simple mind games for the simple minded fools.

It also makes my maneuvers feel a lil' more nimble, as well as gives a certain attack 'rythm' which I can visually confirm. Whether it is actually beneficial or not, I couldn't care less. It just helps psychologically, so I do it.

Like said, the more fools there are, who think that people like us jump around for some magic bug, the more we will be jumping around to make them think so. It's PvP. We use whatever there is to be used to raise our chance to win.
  • Options
    rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Jumping is a good form of exercise. People should do it everyday. On the matter of 0 damage, it just makes you a harder target. Plain and simple. If JUMP gave me damage immunity, I would have to replace my spacebar twice a week.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    (ps) Also, the "0" damage floater sometimes floats up when the processing of internal messages/visual queues are late, or falls into a 'strange' situation. It mostly happens when your FE(front end.. I'm not sure if people are familiar with this term, but it is used a lot when describing relative connection differences) is slightly out of sync with the other guy's FE.

For example, I've seen a 0 damage floater yesterday, but I know exactly the reason why (hmm.. ok, not "exactly" since I'm not a developer and no developer has confirmed it. But in net/lag theory, it is pretty obvious a reason).

Yesterday, I've thrown a Disheartening Strike dagger towards someone at almost maximum range. This gave me a 0 floater. In most cases, the attack is visually fired off but portrayed as not connecting, or no additional effect. But yesterday it gave me a 0. So what's happened? This is the most obvious and plausible theory.

■ Its pretty obvious that there was some micro lag between me and either the target or the server
    ■ On my FE, the system treats it as an attack fired off and hit
    ■ when something is hit, systematically there must be some message that needs to be floated
    ■ However, after the "hit" is registered on my FE, the server tells my system that "no, that only happened on your FE. It's not a hit"
    ■ since NW does not have any "miss" floater, nor can it float out the exact explanation telling you "sorry, you may have seen the power hit on your FE, but the server decided that it did not connect in that situation for whatever reason, so it's not really a hit", it will simply tell you that what you did, didn't work by displaying a simple result of "0".

■ There can be a variety of reasons that produce similar results.

For instance, imagine someone fires off a power with an interrupt function just before you attack. Seemingly almost simultaneous, on your system/FE you see your power fired off and hit, so your system registers it as a hit and then let's the power go into cooldown.

The server needs to make a "judgement" on the result of that hit. It sees that it wasn't actually a hit, so it returns you the results. The result is "didn't happen on the server side" = "0 damage".

So your FE receives that results and displays it for you. "0"

■ I've even seen rare 0 floaters for dodge/shift/teleports. Normally, if there is no latency problem, a missed attack is dispayed as "Immune" immediately. However, let's suppose there's a microlag that which you don't visually notice, but happens on the connection.

You fire off an attack, the target dodges. The server needs to immediately inform you that it was a "Immune". But there comes the micro lag. The server doesn't tell your FE that it was a "Immune", so your FE thinks it was a hit. So it gets ready to display the result of your hit.

But then, the server sends the result, and the result is, the guy succeeded in dodging your attacki, so no damage is done. Your FE receives the results, and since it can't cancel the process of "display damage results" and then display "Immune" instead, it has no choice but to simply show up as "0".

Of course, these are theories, but way more plausible than some magic and convenient bug... as well as I've seen similar instances in other MMOGs throughout the years.
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Truest statement ever said on the forums.

OP presented no evidence, combat log , video or GIF explaining his QQ...

Jumping does NOT give immunity or dodges...

It just makes you harder to target.

Jumping does not give immunity, but it does allow you to dodge some skills due to hit not registering. I'll give you a very good example.

GF's Anvil of Doom won't register a hit if your target is not where your weapon is vertically at the end of the animation. For example, if you walk up to a redcap, jump and immediately cast Anvil of Doom, and if you do it correctly and the animation of the hit ended while you are in the air, that redcap will suffer no damage because your weapon is higher than it and the hit does not register. Same thing in PvP, if your target happens to jump and is in the air when your animation finishes, s/he will suffer no damage because s/he is higher than your weapon.
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I get annoyed by the jumping (not necessarily from any advantage it may or may not grant) because it looks ignorant to me to see everyone doing this practically all of the time. It is like being around a bunch of young children hopped up on sugar or something after one comes home with a headache after taking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at work all day. I would like to start seeing it drain stamina at least.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tonyswu wrote: »
    Jumping does not give immunity, but it does allow you to dodge some skills due to hit not registering. I'll give you a very good example.

GF's Anvil of Doom won't register a hit if your target is not where your weapon is vertically at the end of the animation. For example, if you walk up to a redcap, jump and immediately cast Anvil of Doom, and if you do it correctly and the animation of the hit ended while you are in the air, that redcap will suffer no damage because your weapon is higher than it and the hit does not register. Same thing in PvP, if your target happens to jump and is in the air when your animation finishes, s/he will suffer no damage because s/he is higher than your weapon.

...which qualifies as a "maneuver to evade". 'nuff said.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I get annoyed by the jumping (not necessarily from any advantage it may or may not grant) because it looks ignorant to me to see everyone doing this practically all of the time. It is like being around a bunch of young children hopped up on sugar or something after one comes home with a headache after taking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at work all day. I would like to start seeing it drain stamina at least.

What next? You find someone who annoys you by killing you constantly, and then are you going to ask for them to be drained of stamina as well?

No offense, but if doing that annoys you, then that's exactly what I am going to do if we ever meet in combat, because like mentioned before, PvP is all about the mind game. If you do something that constantly annoys your opponent, then by all means, you're doing something right.
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What next? You find someone who annoys you by killing you constantly, and then are you going to ask for them to be drained of stamina as well?

No offense, but if doing that annoys you, then that's exactly what I am going to do if we ever meet in combat, because like mentioned before, PvP is all about the mind game. If you do something that constantly annoys your opponent, then by all means, you're doing something right.

I don't PvP so the point is moot in regards to that. If they ever find a way to make it entertaining and challenging (instead of one sided and virtually preordained) I may pursue it again.

It is in dungeons or simply crossing a zone and trying to find even the slightest bit of immersion within the game where half the characters you see act more like grasshoppers. There are some places with some nice scenery and views and some of us like to try to enjoy these simple things. Having a dozen characters crossing your view, bouncing around all over quickly reminds you that you are playing a video game filled with people chasing numbers instead of trying to have a more entertaining and enjoyable experience with what could be. Understand I come from an age of imagination and not instant gratification or having to be told that I did well.