What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NW Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    rhymenoiserhymenoise Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    welp i can't sit here and read this all day, off to work on my new cosplay.
    if i'm lucky i might got my comic almost drawn too.
  • Options
    archanarchistarchanarchist Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    for me its saturday morning and i guess ill have to take the kid to the park or something, the humanity, the teaming masses clawing towards the light, why god why
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lizshirako wrote: »
    Would you believe I have used traffic spikes on a forum database as an alert trigger before? "Oops, everything looks line but posts just quintupled. Let me read that quick and see if it's a Drama Llama thread or a problem I'm not seeing yet..."

Rely on silly people in the RIGHT ways and they can even be helpful!

-liz

too funny you quoted the one sentence in the entire post that i had to go back and edit...
  • Options
    greydog2greydog2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think I'm done buying the "latest and greatest" card that will be "obsolete" in 3 months at 1/4 the original price. My HD4870s are doing just fine.

Burned out the motherboard on my old pc. This one came with the 660. First time I've ever gotten more than 20fps anywhere. I'm just amazed at what the graphics in the various games I play actually look like.
    I plan on living forever ..so far so good

Squadron 238
  • Options
    cdrjayde66cdrjayde66 Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2014
    Fine, fine, fine. But being that this is effecting all PWE games, you cannot then blame Cryptic.

i agree. we can speculate, rant, rave, etc all we want but really I don't think it was someone just accidently hit the off switch or whatever, it could most likely be an external problem...and i'd rather they do what they must then update us every 5 seconds just to say, "IDK".
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How much longer?

I actually got a new guy into the game who's willing to spend TONS of money because he said the game looked amazing, and now we're both here sitting, waiting for the servers to come back on so I can start him up.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)
  • Options
    barstiniabarstinia Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh wow.....I'm kicking butt on Age of Empires right now. Perfect time for maybe.....Baldur's Gate.
  • Options
    captaindeehokcaptaindeehok Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And then that one server comes back online....
    Then what??

It crashes again cz thousands of ppl aal over the world are going to log in simultaneous XD

Right? lol

Well I hope the server comes up soon, I finally have a chance to play and wouldn't ya know?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Then what??

It crashes again cz thousands of ppl all over the world are going to log in simultaneous XD

lol. i'm actually expecting that to be completely honest.
  • Options
    brisyorn94brisyorn94 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Then what??

It crashes again cz thousands of ppl all over the world are going to log in simultaneous XD

lol I didn't think of that. Ohh...we may be back here soon lol
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    godlysoul2 wrote: »
    Since it appears zone chat has moved from the game to here, I wonder why I am not seeing any posts about potential rollbacks as a result of this crash? Rollback posts/chats are always my favorite part of unexpected events...

Why would there be rollbacks. The server is down not something game breaking.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    greydog2 wrote: »
    Burned out the motherboard on my old pc. This one came with the 660. First time I've ever gotten more than 20fps anywhere. I'm just amazed at what the graphics in the various games I play actually look like.

The magical "oooh so that's why people say the game looks good" moment.

It works in reverse too. I am used to high graphics but every once in a while there is a reason to go down to minimum settings and that's...an experience. :)
  • Options
    drulle1drulle1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right? lol

Well I hope the server comes up soon, I finally have a chance to play and wouldn't ya know?

That is why they wait few houres more untill starting the servers till people go to sleep
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Curse you Cryptic!

Because of your server outage, I had to do my laundry, clean my kitchen and take a shower.

This never happened when I played that *other* MMO.

I shall be uninstalling your game forthwith. Good Day Sir.
  • Options
    ironknights1964ironknights1964 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmm, all PWE games, not just Cryptic.... Chinese Gold Hack Attack!

Be prepared for a roll back or lose your stuff? Heh... Hope not.
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Why would there be rollbacks. The server is down not something game breaking.

I was hoping for arguments of the type that the crash somehow led to some kind of data loss which caused an unintentional rollback :P
  • Options
    historicalmanhistoricalman Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jtomika wrote: »
    Well said. I've just come from STO forum, that server is down too. It's now a 100 pages topic! :)

I also occasionally plat STO and, while I think it's a great game, they have WAY MORE problems than other MMOs. Which is weird for a franchise with so much money behind it. What scares me is that it is also an ARC game. Is this a bigger issue than a downed server?
  • Options
    dolour79dolour79 Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2014
    f you have truly been working IN data centers (not at the desk leading into the data area; Security guys are wonderful and helpful, but they don't count as 'net technicians!) and don't understand that the problem will be taken care of as soon as people can manage to do so, then I'm more than a little surprised.
    everybody who works in a data centre KNOWS that rigs die from time to time(thats why every harddrive and whatnot has an expected lifetime before failure).
    this KNOWLEDGE leads to you having a replacement BEFORE stuff gets real.
    NOT doing so is pretty much the most epic fail you can do in that business.
  • Options
    mantatermantater Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014

It works in reverse too. I am used to high graphics but every once in a while there is a reason to go down to minimum settings and that's...an experience. :)

I did this the other day for giggles, it felt like I was back playing super mario bros. or altered beast.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It has NOTHING to do with ARC. It is a network problem.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    How much longer?

I actually got a new guy into the game who's willing to spend TONS of money because he said the game looked amazing, and now we're both here sitting, waiting for the servers to come back on so I can start him up.

I still haven't heard an update but they are working on getting things up and running as soon as possible.

One thing to note though that this is the first unplanned outrage since the launch of Open Beta. It is by no means the norm. Please remain patient and hopefully when this gets resolved it will never occur again (wishful thinking)
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And that is why diligent people and/or companies buy what is known as "BACK UP" or have a "REDUNDANCY" system.

As I and another person has posted through our own checking with tools with you PC there are issues with the internet not reaching the PWE servers. You can easily learn to check that stuff yourself and see.

And do you really know how money is in a total secondary cluster server system is? I don't. I know back in the 90's it was almost a million dollars for just one server for EQ and back then EQ had to use more then one server for each of the servers and they were making over 20 million a mon in subs and did not have a back up server.
  • Options
    jade456usjade456us Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Tech does die. All the time. If your car ran as well as your pc or router, you will almost never need a mechanic. I just hope they extend the celestial coins as well. Hate to lose a week. Coal wards are really hard to come by without spending too much $$$
  • Options
    synslaughtersynslaughter Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dolour79 wrote: »
    @all the fanboys arguing that servers do fail from time to time: no question, they do. but what kind of data-centre doesent have a backup array?
    what makes it even worse, is that ALL the PW games are hosted in the same **** centre.

ive been working in data centres for several years, and trust me if i say: a downtime for more than 30minz would have cost me my job, without the chance to explain myself.
    hence my background its hard to feel any compassion for the employees here...

It's been explained - by multiple people - why this downtime might be, and why they'd reasonably be reluctant to post every minute aspect of their efforts to pinpoint and resolve the issue. It's also been explained why they have a vested interest in returning the game to working order as swiftly as they can. And again, it's also been explained that a number of possible causes would render the "backup array" a moot point (ISP issues on their end, among others.)

Not to belabor another point, but... this is a free game, and you're making an awfully big stink for someone handed a steadily evolving and improving gift. That you've invested money of your own volition doesn't change that. Verily, taketh thee this thrice-offered pill of chill. This isn't a data center. Nobody's dialysis machine is running on Celestial Coins. Join us in our mellow support and appreciation corner, it's a nice place to be. You know you want to. :P
    I have the ability to heal you. A shield to protect you. Blades to slay your foes. Magic! So I'm a tiefling, so what? We have a common enemy, and a common goal. Here, you can put ornaments on my horns if it'll put you at ease.
  • Options
    greydog2greydog2 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014

hehe yeah, My brother took the 4850 out of my dead pc and installed it in his ..then immediately removed it. That card was supposed to be good but it never worked right
    I plan on living forever ..so far so good

Squadron 238
  • Options
    archanarchistarchanarchist Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i was refering to whoever PE uses as a isp driving 1/2 way across usa it may well be a difernt country i dont know who PW's isp is i havnt gone and found out but i suspect thats were issue is im asuming with like 10 difernt games PW has atleast 1 copy of most of the network hardware siting about the place
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know it's not cryptic's fault and all but I reallllyy wanna play....
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its not free.

Its free to play, but its still an investment.

That being said, being someone whose worked in datacenters, and infrastructure... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> happens.
    They arent making money while its down, I am sure they are working furiously to fix it.

It's been explained - by multiple people - why this downtime might be, and why they'd reasonably be reluctant to post every minute aspect of their efforts to pinpoint and resolve the issue. It's also been explained why they have a vested interest in returning the game to working order as swiftly as they can. And again, it's also been explained that a number of possible causes would render the "backup array" a moot point (ISP issues on their end, among others.)

Not to belabor another point, but... this is a free game, and you're making an awfully big stink for someone handed a steadily evolving and improving gift. That you've invested money of your own volition doesn't change that. Verily, taketh thee this thrice-offered pill of chill. This isn't a data center. Nobody's dialysis machine is running on Celestial Coins. Join us in our mellow support and appreciation corner, it's a nice place to be. You know you want to. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lmao i love the whole, "Verily,, taketh thee this thrice-offered pill of chill" ...oh that just made my entire day. Awesomeness right there.
  • Options
    achilleskinachilleskin Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.