What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ARC Promotion

Comments

• Options
    starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1. Yes. In the upper-right corner click Sign Out and then sign in with your other account
    2. Yes. Rewards are given per account and not per client/computer.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I claimed the Renegade on all 4 of my accounts no issues , all I did was log in each account one after the other and then enter the redeem key and it accepted it.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Awesome. Thank you starcher and imsmithy!
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Right, but I still don't see what the purpose of Arc is and why we should care. Seen people complaining about it, but not much more than that.

Here's why *I* like ARC: I play Neverwinter, and also Star Trek Online and Champions Free-for-all (a.k.a. Champions Online) - all three of these are Cryptic games. ARC provides a very nice shell for not only launching these games, but also easy-as-hell to get all the news, forums and other relevant stuff (to me as a player) that I like to keep-up on.

It also makes installing and uninstalling any PWE game, including Cryptic very easy. Because of this, I've also installed several of PWE's other games (only one of them carries any real interest for me).

It also is pretty easy to add shortcuts/aliases for other installed software (not limited to games). This on-top of one-time login to PWE as a whole, no more entering and reentering my PWE login every single time I want to switch games (to play or for forums or whatever).

For me: I'm a Mac person (have been since 1984). My PC is for play and nothing else. So it's easy for me to use ARC as my main shell. It is useful for anyone who plays more than one PWE game (very nice integration) - but I also understand many people already use Steam (Which I personally dislike and know it's a personal preference) or prefer not to use any kind of shell at all.

I just find it laughable when people (not the above quoted person) poo-poo it for no reason other than what they might think it is, rather than actually trying it out then providing constructive and useful feedback for developers and other players.

There's my too-sense, your mileage will vary.
    ~shrugs~
  • Options
    cpendletcpendlet Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    After installing ARC I can no longer log in with ARC or the stand alone client. There go my 6 Celestial Coins wheee. It wont finish the patching just keeps saying 'A file was locked that could not be be open for writing'. I am admin and have restarted my computer so not sure how it's locked. Thanks ARC for breaking my game!

BTW choosing the NeverwinterPreview shard makes it through the patching and into the game I just can't seem to get onto the live server.
    If you launch Neverwinter without using Arc, then the pinnacle controller still works.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    no offense but that's a little too iffy of an answer. I don't mind trying arc, hell even without the rewards I'd give it a shot but I don't want to be forced to continue using it if I don't like it simply do to the fact that uninstalling it would cause me many headaches with reinstalling my games the way I have them now.

If you have already installed games from PWE before installing ARC - ARC will recognize them and work as designed. Uninstalling ARC will leave everything in-tact.

If you install ARC first and use ARC to install any PWE games, those games are installed in a different location (inside the ARC folder) - uninstalling ARC will leave those games in-tact (unless you uninstall them first), however - if you install PWE games from inside ARC, there are no shortcut/aliases dropped into your Start Menu or on the desktop; launchers are still there, but you'll have to create shortcuts/aliases yourself.

This is experience speaking. I've been using ARC since it was first introduced many months ago and it has been rock-solid since then.

Now if Cryptic would just STOP USING FLASH and switch to H.264 for their videos, I'd be a real happy camper.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I can see a benefit for the multi-game player to use ARC, but what is the benefit for the single game player?

When I log in with ARC it uses the game launcher anyway. The social aspect I suppose is nice, but I have a Facebook account that is already suffering from neglect. The integration with the Forum can be beneficial if looking for something specific, but then why have a chat system? I'm certainly not going to be reading the forum while working my way through the Dread Ring. Looks nice, but doesn't offer anything I can't already do.

Existing Cryptic (and other PWE) Launchers will go away later. Right now ARC launches the launcher, but eventually will act as the original launcher (which can;t come soon enough for me, but I understand the 'do not rush' paradigm).

If you play only a single PWE game, then the only real 'benefit' you might experience will be the ARC social stuff and the integration of all game-specific information always at your fingertips; e.g. Neverwinter news, forums, wiki (and even other web sites) easily accessed even while logged-in and playing Neverwinter (the command is SHIFT+TAB to bring-up the ARC overlay while in-game).
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cpendlet wrote: »
    If you launch Neverwinter without using Arc, then the pinnacle controller still works.

The pinnacle issue wasn't mine. I can't launch NW anymore. It doesn't make it through the patching process.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is the companion one-shot or it can be redeemed by each character?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm with this guy, the script is full of malware so yeah no thanks guys i will stick with the normal launcher.

Cite your sources, please.
    Do you Google? Because even the NSA has nothing on the way Google track everything you do. LOL

I will admit that I am an ARC Evangelist. I've been loving it since the very beginning and this "thank you for trying it bonus" is awesome. However, as I've said again and again, I understand it's not for everyone. For those who don't feel it's worth even giving it a go, why not just move-on to another thread?

Spreading silly rumors like this speaks volumes about one's intellect, attitude, and education.

For everyone else:
    Look, if you don't like the idea of giving ARC a go then don't.
    But here's a fact: 99% of all the poo-poo comments about ARC are all uninformed opinion based on hearsay because those people actually take that hearsay as fact, when it's far from truth; incomplete or outright wrong.

ARC has a TINY footprint, both in hard disk space and in RAM. I've been running ARC since it was first introduced (has it been a year, yet?) and I have felt absolutely no performance change on my computer at all, especially when playing Neverwinter, Star Trek or Champions.

I personally enjoy the integrated features ARC offers; the News, Blog, Forums, Wiki all integrated into the shell and easily accessible even while logged-into the game and playing (no alt-tab nonsense). You should try it (SHIFT+TAB) while in-game to see it work. Perfect for being 'productive' that last 5 minutes you stand at a campfire waiting for your next invocation, or injury-healing, etc.

@PWE and Cryptic: hey, THANK YOU for these little bonuses. Totally unexpected and certainly unnecessary, even though I know your motives are for marketing reasons I'm all for it and with you on it. It is really a WIN-WIN for both you and your players. And I've already read a couple comments that basically said "All I've read about ARC is poo-poo BS, I tried it and actually like it". So your rewards program is *working*.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The pinnacle issue wasn't mine. I can't launch NW anymore. It doesn't make it through the patching process.

This sounds like a local computer issue. I recommend you run maintenance on your computer: chkdsk (check disk) and possibly a good defraying is in order.

If you aren;t sure how to do this, PM me, I'll be happy to give you the steps, just tell me which version of MS Windows you;re using.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Is the companion one-shot or it can be redeemed by each character?

The Companion is character-bound, but account-wide: you can claim it on all characters; even if you have multiple accounts (you can relog yourself in ARC if you actually have multiple accounts). The other items are a one-shot: only one character can claim them, but they are bind-on-equip, so you can transfer to anyone else. Only one item (I forget which) is only one copy and bind-to-character. But all the potions and XP booster and whatnot is BoE.
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I had the same issue a couple of days ago. It went away after a reboot.
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This sounds like a local computer issue. I recommend you run maintenance on your computer: chkdsk (check disk) and possibly a good defraying is in order.

Before I installed ARC my NW was working fine. Now it's not. Even after uninstalling ARC. So I'm not chalking that up to coincidence.

I ran chkdsk and it found no problems. And I have a SSD so I'm not going to defrag as that's not needed.

Edit: In response to the post above mine, I have rebooted still no go. I'll try a complete NW reinstall when I get home. But so far my overall impression of ARC is anything but positive.
  • Options
    glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited January 2014
    Pass. Arc has caused me nothing but problems. Don't care if this is a newer version. Never actually been able to play something through Arc, Steam on the other hand.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I removed the Neverwinter directory.. Patched 7.2GB or so all over again and still have the same issue. ARC.. Never again! I'd be happy uninstalling it, which I did, but it seems to have hosed my NW from working in general. I'd say if the trinkets don't appeal to you just stick with the stand alone launcher. You'll be better off!
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I redeemed the Arc code, looking forward to my new Renegade Illusionist companion.

I got no companion at all, & I'm pretty sure that what I did get bore little resemblance to what Arc claimed I would get. Granted, some of it was useful -- the three Artifact refinement thingies, for example -- but it wasn't at all what was advertised.

Edit: I'm now wondering if I simply chose the wrong reward ... but I chose the only one that appeared to be available ... & if there was a SECOND page on which the Arc promo appeared, I didn't see that :(

Edit 2: I should also say that I have no problems with the Arc software itself, it seems to work nicely & I don't get lag or other horrid issues, so this post is *not* a complaint about Arc.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I installed Arc today. Found my full install automatically. I clicked play, it automatically logged me into the launcher and then I clicked play to load the game. It didn't mess up my install, directory, or cause lag.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flayedawg wrote: »
    I redeemed the Arc code, looking forward to my new Renegade Illusionist companion.

I got no companion at all, & I'm pretty sure that what I did get bore little resemblance to what Arc claimed I would get. Granted, some of it was useful -- the three Artifact refinement thingies, for example -- but it wasn't at all what was advertised.

Did you visit the Reward agent in Protectors Enclave? by the sounds of it you didn't . Press M in Protectors and look for the big gift shaped icon and go there to get the rewards.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey all!

Thanks for your questions and comments about the new Arc promotion.

You can claim your rewards from the Rewards Claim Agent in Protector's Enclave.

Additionally, I'd just like to reassure everyone that there is no malware of any kind in the Arc client. If you encounter any sort of performance issues while running it, please send us your feedback at arc_feedback@perfectworld.com and we'll do our best to address it!

More info about everything Arc-related is available in the Arc FAQ.

Thanks again! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    Nothing's wrong with arc...I like it tbh
  • Options
    dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    Before I installed ARC my NW was working fine. Now it's not. Even after uninstalling ARC. So I'm not chalking that up to coincidence.

I ran chkdsk and it found no problems. And I have a SSD so I'm not going to defrag as that's not needed.

Edit: In response to the post above mine, I have rebooted still no go. I'll try a complete NW reinstall when I get home. But so far my overall impression of ARC is anything but positive.

We apologize you're running into issues with the game after installing ARC. We definitely want to make sure these issues aren't present when ARC is no longer in BETA, so we would like for you to send an email to feedback@arcgames.com and report issues that you have run into. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from the community.

Thanks,
    Dwight
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    calvin1tag wrote: »
    The new ARC broke my controller support through Pinnacle - I posted in the bug thread about it as well just a heads up for anyone using Pinnacle (and likely Xpadder but I'll have to test that tonight). If you use the steam or old launcher it will still work fine you just need to close the ARC. Just a heads up for those that use these programs (there have been other reports of some mouse buttons ceasing to work etc as well but I can't find the thread to link to it at the moment).

If you are still experiencing issues with this please send an email to feedback@arcgames.com with as much detail as possible about the issue so we can attempt to resolve it.

Thanks,

Dwight
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope they update the forums so it fits into Arc better visually. Arc's GUI looks nice, but the forums tab is pretty ugly. Likewise, I hope they integrate the Wiki. The social tab of Arc has potential but has little usefulness at the moment.

I personally am not a fan of a unified launcher when I only play one PWE game. Right now it means I have two launchers instead of one, though this will apparently change in the future. I totally see how this would be useful for people who play multiple PWE games. To me, it feels like an advertisement and bloatware. I don't really want to see information about other PWE games. I would be more interested if it was a direct competitor of Steam and included games from other publishers. I'm also pretty sure that Arc is a larger program than the Neverwinter launcher. I don't particularly need Arc's browsing function because I have my web browser open for email, internet radio and my guild's website anyway.

Despite my reservations, I'm keeping it installed for the free stuff and turning off the auto launch. I will just use the old launcher until I am forced to do otherwise. ;)
  • Options
    jman75nhjman75nh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ok i didnt do that thanks you
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Did you visit the Reward agent in Protectors Enclave? by the sounds of it you didn't . Press M in Protectors and look for the big gift shaped icon and go there to get the rewards.

Yea, I simply missed the Promo page, so that's why I didn't get the companion; that's fixed, now. But I don't remember seeing 4 nice enchants in the bag; just the 3 artifact refinement things. O well, no biggie.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Sure, here ya go: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/neverwinter

*Note - you MUST subscribe to IGN Prime for at least one month, (which comes to about $7 US or so), but you can cancel before that month is up, and still retain the companion for all your present and future characters.

This is a very good deal. Account bound green cleric for all toons, only 8 bucks. Highly recommend.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope they update the website so it fits into Arc better visually. Arc's GUI looks nice, but the forums tab is pretty ugly. Likewise, I hope they integrate the Wiki.

All the websites will be updated in the future for a unified look that goes with Arc. What they can do with the wiki is limited since another company runs it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    So why would someone want to install Arc?

Our goal with ARC is to provide a simple and efficient way for players to access all the latest news, promotions and in-game notifications without ever having to open up a web browser. Transferring ZEN across games and contacting support will also be easier and more efficient. Even if Neverwinter is the only PWE game you play, ARC will soon enhance your experience with Neverwinter.

It is still in BETA and we appreciate all the feedback we have received thus far via feedback@arcgames.com, but we encourage players to continue to provide feedback so we can ensure ARC will be a great experience for everyone.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While all this work is being done on Arc is anything be done about Core connect achievements since Cryptic games still don't work with that? Or is that being phased out?