Install Arc
Options

ARC Promotion

Comments

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    While all this work is being done on Arc is anything be done about Core connect achievements since Cryptic games still don't work with that? Or is that being phased out?

CORE acheivements were closed out sometime before the end of last year. The intent is to replace them with some sort of system with ARC but that's not been ironed out quite yet.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    CORE acheivements were closed out sometime before the end of last year. The intent is to replace them with some sort of system with ARC but that's not been ironed out quite yet.

Ah, ok. Since it didn't work with CO or NW, I never bothered keep up with it.
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like that it's the illusionist. I don't have any controller companions yet and I'm glad I got one (was considering getting one during the companion sale, but went with the defender Galeb Duhr instead)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope they update the forums so it fits into Arc better visually. Arc's GUI looks nice, but the forums tab is pretty ugly. Likewise, I hope they integrate the Wiki. The social tab of Arc has potential but has little usefulness at the moment.

I personally am not a fan of a unified launcher when I only play one PWE game. Right now it means I have two launchers instead of one, though this will apparently change in the future. I totally see how this would be useful for people who play multiple PWE games. To me, it feels like an advertisement and bloatware. I don't really want to see information about other PWE games. I would be more interested if it was a direct competitor of Steam and included games from other publishers. I'm also pretty sure that Arc is a larger program than the Neverwinter launcher. I don't particularly need Arc's browsing function because I have my web browser open for email, internet radio and my guild's website anyway.

Despite my reservations, I'm keeping it installed for the free stuff and turning off the auto launch. I will just use the old launcher until I am forced to do otherwise. ;)

This seems like really useful feedback (even to me). In fact, if I were only playing a single PWE game I'd possibly feel the same way (give or take a detail or so). I've always figured it would be harder to justify using ARC when someone only plays a single PWE game, especially if they're already familiar with the Steam system.

Here a little additional feedback from me for the ARC Dev Gurus: I'm not a fan of Steam myself, precisely because it has such a large catalog and whatnot. (However, in an epic hypocritical moment: I am a fan of the Apple iOS/OSX AppStore ecosystem - so I admit I am logically-challenged in this way).

I do like ARC precisely because is (at least currently) PWE-centric/Cryptic-centric. For a touch of insight: I also am not an "on-line gamer" who plays dozens of MMOs and whatnot. I'm an old-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in my 50's and my playtime is pretty limited. I love Cryptic's games (all three existing and excited for whatever it is coming down the pike in a year or whatever).

ARC is an awesome shell for all my Cryptic galavanting. I also like the way the other PWE games are available directly inside ARC, at-will. I would never have downloaded and manually installed any of the other PWE games because I already have the gut-feeling they won't appeal to me (but it turns out one of them DID!) However, because ARC makes it all drag-and-drop (basically-sppeaking) I did install most of the other PWE games to give them a go (I easily uninstalled all but one, which I never would have experienced without ARC ease of install/uninstall).

On this note: I loved the way I could just install other PWE games willy-nilly without having to register for them or even create an account and all that hoopla. Because I did it inside ARC, all that was done for me. All I had to do was to choose a character name and create my character. It was awesome!

So, from what may be a different perspective from many other here: I spend most, if not all my on-line game-playing time in the PWE universe and ARC makes it a lot easier than it would be otherwise. I've tried many of the others (DDO, LOTRO and so on) and they just didn't jive with me (play-mechanics; Cryptic: it's your fault because you've spoiled me with the quality of your stuff, shame on you).

It's especially nice that ARC also allows me to add "launch buttons" for other stuff (I still play MS Flight Simulator and some other stuff) and so ARC has become my PC Entertainment Center Hub.

So as with anything and everything everyone has a different perspective, motivation, and reason for doing or not doing anything and everything. I just thought I'd throw-out a little of my why, when and how with regard to my loving ARC and what it is and will hopefully become.

I'm also somewhat saddened to see some people are having operational difficulties with it, but such is the reason for beta testing. I'm happy to report that ARC is and always has run extremely smooth and reliably on my systems.

I have only one single niggle complaint about ARC: the green banner always appears telling me about browser cookies. I'm tired of dismissing it every time I launch the ARC window. I figure it should remember that dismissal across sessions. But that's a nothing and easy to tune-out.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all!

Thanks for your questions and comments about the new Arc promotion.

You can claim your rewards from the Rewards Claim Agent in Protector's Enclave.

Additionally, I'd just like to reassure everyone that there is no malware of any kind in the Arc client. If you encounter any sort of performance issues while running it, please send us your feedback at arc_feedback@perfectworld.com and we'll do our best to address it!

More info about everything Arc-related is available in the Arc FAQ.

Thanks again! :)

No malware doesn't mean it's not collecting even more data and sending it to PWE. It may not effect how our computers work, but everyone knows companies try to push as much softwares as they can on user's computers for this sole purpose.

Thanks for the promotion but i will uninstall it soon.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    No malware doesn't mean it's not collecting even more data and sending it to PWE. It may not effect how our computers work, but everyone knows companies try to push as much softwares as they can on user's computers for this sole purpose.

Thanks for the promotion but i will uninstall it soon.

Give it a break. There is no malware, no spyware, nothing. All programs do gather computer specs and send it to the program developer. I will say it again, ALL Programs gather computer specs to see what type of computers people are using their program on and that is NOT Malware. And you agree to the terms when you sign up. And if you say that they don't then you are blind.

Definition of Malware.

Malware, short for malicious software, is software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software. 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.

Malware includes computer viruses, ransomware, worms, trojan horses, rootkits, keyloggers, dialers, spyware, adware, malicious BHOs, rogue security software, govware, and other malicious programs; the majority of active malware threats are usually worms or trojans rather than viruses.

ARC is not gathering sensitive information from your computer. ARC is not disrupting your computer.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Give it a break. There is no malware, no spyware, nothing. All programs do gather computer specs and send it to the program developer. I will say it again, ALL Programs gather computer specs to see what type of computers people are using their program on and that is NOT Malware. And you agree to the terms when you sign up. And if you say that they don't then you are blind.

Definition of Malware.

Malware, short for malicious software, is software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software. 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.

Malware includes computer viruses, ransomware, worms, trojan horses, rootkits, keyloggers, dialers, spyware, adware, malicious BHOs, rogue security software, govware, and other malicious programs; the majority of active malware threats are usually worms or trojans rather than viruses.

ARC is not gathering sensitive information from your computer. ARC is not disrupting your computer.

Let's not forget that there is a box specifically saying on installation that computer information can be sent to PWE by ARC--that you can easily uncheck.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah and I always let programs send my computer specs to the developer as it helps them make a better program and I have never received anything by email or whatever that I did not ask for so where is the malware that ARC is involved with.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey all,

To clear up some of the confusion about data collection, here's a bit from the Privacy & Security section of the Arc FAQ:

Does Arc gather any of my system information?

Optionally, you can opt-in to share basic information about your machine with us. This data is used to track performance and to help us optimize responsiveness, download speeds, download reliability across different hardware, etc. However, this information is only gathered if you explicitly choose to opt-in to this feature.

What anonymous data is collected from the built-in browser?

If a player opts-in to submit performance data, then we'll be gathering information on how fast pages load, etc., though this is only to track performance and only if you as a user wish to partake in the program...

In regard to collecting data, we understand that not all players are interested in submitting anonymous performance data from their machines, and that's totally OK. There is no requirement to opt-in to this feature in any way, and nothing is "gated" for users who do not elect to participate.

Hope this helps!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks sominator for setting it straight. I Opt in always especially if it is a beta software. I have noticed an increase in performance from the new version compared to the older version.
  • Options
    unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Our goal with ARC is to provide a simple and efficient way for players to access all the latest news, promotions and in-game notifications without ever having to open up a web browser. Transferring ZEN across games and contacting support will also be easier and more efficient. Even if Neverwinter is the only PWE game you play, ARC will soon enhance your experience with Neverwinter.

It is still in BETA and we appreciate all the feedback we have received thus far via feedback@arcgames.com, but we encourage players to continue to provide feedback so we can ensure ARC will be a great experience for everyone.

And what if I don't like Arc and would prefer not to ever use it? Will I be forced sometime in the future to use the system if I want to play Nevewinter? I honestly prefer the stand alone launcher.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I reiterate a previous comment regarding the whole "spyware" thing in defense of PWE and other companies like them: do you Google?

Seriously, your web browser is constantly spewing more information about you than any other application you can think-of other than genuine malware. With web sites and services like Google you are not the customer (the advertisers are) you are the product.

At least with companies like PWE/Cryptic and others like this, you actually are the customer and the product is clearly defined. Because I am the customer buying the product, (and not the product delivered to the buying customer as in Search Engine and news media business models,) I'm willing to allow anonymous system information to be piped back to the developer because I want the best possible product they can provide to me.

Seriously, though: if you use Google, Yahoo, Bing, Facebook, Linked-In or just about any of the freebie social networks you have a lot more to be concerned with, privacy-wise than you'll ever have from the likes of PWE and their subsidiary companies. Starting with your actual geographical location on planet Earth, (read: where in the world are you right now.)

#JustSayin'
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And what if I don't like Arc and would prefer not to ever use it? Will I be forced sometime in the future to use the system if I want to play Nevewinter? I honestly prefer the stand alone launcher.

If or when they make Arc the game's launcher you will have to choose either Arc or Steam , I only got Arc last night and it isn't the resource hog or NSA/GCHQ spyware that everybody makes it out to be ,it's actually quite neat.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Edit: fixed
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    EDIT: Sorry this is off-topic - removing this comment, and reposting it in appropriate forum. Ima turning senile or sumfin'.

-snip-

Since some might be curious: Purchasing Zen directly from within ARC is three thumbs-up. And you choose which game to purchase for before you purchase - and the Zen is put directly into that game - no wallet game transfer business that might be confusing to new users.

So I sent my long diatribe through email. Suffice it to say - this thread is about the promotion, and "feedback" on ARC itself is off-topic, so I apologize to the thread for that.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    Tried to redeem. Got nothing, no mail and the Illusionist in the rewards place is redded out...cannot redeem. Back to never touching arc again. Fail promo is fail.

You logged into ARC, clicked your account name, clicked 'Redeem Key', pasted in fbyjHBUe clicked submit, and nothing happened?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It seems I can safely install this alongside Steam. Would I be installing completely different game clients? Neverwinter, STO, and RaiderZ? Or would I point it to the Steam installs?

edit: I didn't really like how the previous version worked (with 2 clients), but a seamless client sounds a lot more attractive to me.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    torskaldr wrote: »
    It seems I can safely install this alongside Steam. Would I be installing completely different game clients? Neverwinter, STO, and RaiderZ? Or would I point it to the Steam installs?

As long as Arc finds the install directory, it will just point to that. So Arc will just load it up from the steam directory.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks. It seems to be working okay. I might try moving the installs later on.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I tried using the fbyjHBUe Arc Code in Redeem and it didnt work. =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You are redeeming it in the Arc client, right? It won't work on the NW site's redeem page.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You can only use those codes thru the ARC client.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Login to ARC, click your account name, click redeem key, and enter the code there.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Being able to opt-out of the data mining is great. Mandatory usage though, not too happy about. But it is, what it is.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    reading skills of some players.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tend82tend82 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I take it you don't need to keep plauying through ARC once you redeem the code? I've more than enough games to manage in my steam folder, so I wouldn't mind limiting the number platforms..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    tend82 wrote: »
    I take it you don't need to keep plauying through ARC once you redeem the code? I've more than enough games to manage in my steam folder, so I wouldn't mind limiting the number platforms..

Correct... you can redeem the code then uninstall ARC if you want to.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ok as one the "iffy" people about arc I finally decided to bite the bullet and give I a shot. I downloaded it, redeemed my code for all 4 of my accounts, messed around with it a little bit then uninstalled it with absolutely no problems what so ever. It didn't eat up resources or anything, it didn't uninstall PWI and NW which I already had installed before it. And honestly the only reason I decided to uninstall it was simply because I knew I wouldn't be using it.

I only really play NW and only check in on PWI once in a while for about 5 minutes to see whats new. The only real downside I can say about it was the fact that its much faster for me to switch accounts using the current NW launcher then it was with Arc. But if I had all my characters for both games on one account I'd probably wouldn't mind using it.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited January 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    At some point in the future, (as others have pointed out), the ONLY way to launch NW, CO, STO, and various other associated games, will likely be through ARC. PWE will also likely make it a clearinghouse for news, promotions, and other FAQs/FYIs. It also has some social aspects to it, which PWE probably wants to see us make more use of...
    They might try to make it that way but there are always work arounds, usually via the application file in the folder. Has worked on NW as well as games from other companies that use similar programs...Plus theres always Steam. Arc like all programs like it is mainly a way for publishers to push ads in your face while you're loading up the game you want to play. "So you're about to play NW...but did you hear X just got a update!, also Y items in X game are on sale!"...No thanks. Useless ad on programs are just that, and I'll continue doing my work arounds, till the day they stop. (But seeing how they still work on really old games with similar programs, even old school browser start up games I doubt itll ever stop working)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    . . . Yeah, ARC actually uses less resources than Steam and Steam's resource usage is pretty minimal as it is. I often have both of them running and never notice any performance drops from them.

. . . Right now, ARC and Steam are not required to run the game. Just to install it. Once installed through either ARC or Steam, you can shut them down and then make a shortcut to Neverwinter.exe (the launcher) in the installation directory and run the game stand-alone.