test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I will echo what others have said, we already have two fighters, 3 if you count the Ranger, but only 1 of each of the others. So I would imagine we will get a second mage, cleric, and rogue class before the next fighter. Also dual wielding longswords not so much, but a longsword and a dagger sure. Longswords are much too large to dual wield, even in an animated world. There is one monster that dual wields and it is limited to some very basic moves or the clipping issues would be enormous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vaylonbanebladevaylonbaneblade Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really like the ideas in this thread. I love the thought of high-defensive support for the party and the close-range buffs to benefit melee players. That would make the paladin class a fantastic asset. I, for one, know that I would spend the majority of my time on my paladin character because it suits my favored way to play games... Tanking is noble.
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    The Paladin class would be nice to have, so would Illusionist, Warlock, Druid, Bard, Assassin, and Barbarian. The Paladin would fill a nice role as a stop gap measure in any group outside of the arcane magic needs. They can be powerful is played correctly, but for the most part they would not eliminate the need for any of the current classes. What I think is needed the most at the moment is another arcane class, then the Druid. The Bard would be OK as a jack of all trades, but master of none. However a Bard's buff/de-buff abilities can useful in a dungeon.

Only one of those that isn't a class is Barbarian, they are a race in forgotten realms not a class.
    edited January 2014
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    Only one of those that isn't a class is Barbarian, they are a race in forgotten realms not a class.

Wulfgar, Human barbarian.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    starcher wrote: »
    Will a class like this ever come out? I like the idea of GWF but it is too slow.
    sirjesto wrote: »
    Where did someone say a GWF is slow? I saw someone say "A super-fast GWF" That isn't calling a GWF slow.
    Guess you failed your perception roll. :p
  • aettthornaettthorn Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Wulfgar, in a book, not in the rulebooks.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    We definitely need a new type of cleric/mage class. We've got multiple fighters and don't need anymore choices on those for the lineup at the moment.

Also somewhere down the line I'd love to see a debuffer/buffer but it doesn't have to be right away I'd prefer they flesh out the rest of the major class archetypes before doing that.
  • eridthoreridthor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They made things a lot harder on themselves by making every weapon class specific and therefore needing to do full itemization for every class including artwork. I've only done a little 4th edition PnP but in older versions of DND and other games you just had longswords, maces, two handed swords etc. which could be used by multiple classes, meaning not needing to add a full itemization pass for every single class.
  • aettthornaettthorn Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eridthor wrote: »
    They made things a lot harder on themselves by making every weapon class specific and therefore needing to do full itemization for every class including artwork. I've only done a little 4th edition PnP but in older versions of DND and other games you just had longswords, maces, two handed swords etc. which could be used by multiple classes, meaning not needing to add a full itemization pass for every single class.

Agreed. I really think they shot themselves in the foot with the Ranger with this problem here. Starting to share a couple of items with other classes would have left them open to doing the same thing with future classes. Now I don't think they can do it as well, or at least not without a significant amount of complaints.

Is a Paladin with Plate Armor, Sword/Mace and Shield really going to have to use completely different armor than a GF? Is a Warlock going to use different cloth robes than a CW? We already have leather and hide armor classes, so what would something like a Bard or Druid wear? If a Bard swings a sword, is it going to be different somehow from a GFs swords?

Thinking logically, we can probably see the next few classes being a Warlock, Druid, Bard, Paladin, and maybe a Monk. All of these COULD use some of the existing assets, while getting some new stuff each. If they all have to get brand new stuff, then there's going to be a LOT more clutter for everyone when doing missions and dungeons.
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014

Wulfgar in the book and his race of people are Barbarians. Much larger and stronger then human race. It is not a class in the lore. It is a race of people.
    edited January 2014
    Actually i retracts that. I guess just in the books Barbarians are a race? not a class? I know more about the books then the D&D rule set with clases.
  • chantola21chantola21 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    you know what would be epic? a rouge mage, best of both worlds!
  • mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Add the Warlord as front line healer/buffer.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chantola21 wrote: »
    you know what would be epic? a rouge mage, best of both worlds!

There are already plenty of red mages in the game currently. Cant wave a wiffle bat in dread ring without hitting one of them crazy bald finger wagglers.

If you meant rogue mage. Well, I have a hard time thinking how that cant be completely overpowered.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    I (kind of) want to see multi-classing i think it would be pretty interesting to see an HR combined with a CW (Sounds complicated). Was thinking too that paladin since dread ring is about the undead (mostly) it would make sense but any new class would be sweet.

But since theres a kind of prototype to the warlock (assumption) in phantasmal fortress I have a feeling that that will be next.

Monk would be awesome too.

I'm partial to the paladin only because I like characters that fight and buff.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Well, I see no reason why, for instance, Paladins couldn't use GF plate, swords, and shields while leveling up, and just add a few new armor sets/pieces at max level. Maybe throw in some maces and such that paladins and GFs could use, too...

If warlocks were to use daggers as their focus, then they could use TR weapons, and something else as an offhand - like CW talismans and CW cloth armor.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think a paladin should be able to swap weapons like a ranger. Their main weapon can be used either two-handed for more Offense or change to a 1 handed weapon plus add a shield for more defense. The encounter skills can also be split based on which weapon they're wielding.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    valwryn wrote: »
    I think a paladin should be able to swap weapons like a ranger. Their main weapon can be used either two-handed for more Offense or change to a 1 handed weapon plus add a shield for more defense. The encounter skills can also be split based on which weapon they're wielding.

I'd prefer that any new classes also have a new and unique class ability. The paladin could have an ability where they attack or heal/buff to fill up a meter of some kind, and when they hit tab, their attacks deal additional radiant damage, heal any allies near them, and any allies near them gains increased defense.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited January 2014
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    Actually i retracts that. I guess just in the books Barbarians are a race? not a class? I know more about the books then the D&D rule set with clases.
    He's still a Human barbarian, he's just from a specific tribe of Human barbarians.
  • zer303606zer303606 Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2014
    so im really liking the ranger, but was wondering when the druid or necromancer the 2 iconic classes will be realesed?
    -cheers;)
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The best guesses I've heard have been warlock next and then druid. My guess is mod 4 for warlock and mod 6 for druid based on the pattern shown.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No official release schedule has been given , the closest that anybody has come is one of the developers said that they might start druid next or if not next then soon lol .
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To be honest I'd like the current classes and whatever new PvP mechanics they come up with first (after removing tenacity!) be released before the Druid, Warlock, or Necromancer. That way any of those classes will have a silver shined plate to make their entrance on.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2014
    He's still a Human barbarian, he's just from a specific tribe of Human barbarians.

Yeah you can be a barbarian (group of people) without being a Barbarian (class)

Just like you can be a scout without being a Scout, a monk without being a Monk, an assassin without being an Assassin and so on.

they might of been thinking of Everquest where Barbarians where statistically different than "humans" I don't think D&D ever made different "normal" human groups have different stats, as far as I know a human from the Sword Coast has the same game stats as one from the Dalelands who has the same as one from Kara-Tur and so on.
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited January 2014

I was going to write a long rant on this the other day and decided not to. I am having a great time with this game, the most fun I have had with a game since CoH was murdered that is. However, the lack of weapon models drives me crazy. I went 20 levels on my MWF with the same model, not the same weapon, just the same model.

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread, but the truth is many of them could be done with Paragon paths. The Paladin could be tacked on to the GWF and the GF with the right skills filled in. The Tempest was initially a Ranger prestige class in 3 and 3.5 D&D, not sure about 4e (I skipped it because it felt like a money grab). I suspect that skills could even be added to each level of each class without breaking too much. More choices is always good as this company proved with both City of Heroes and Champions Online.

What the game needs in a new class is something truly new. Like an unarmed fighter, more races, and most of all more art assets in the form of weapons and armor spread through the levels.

As of note, there are multiple monsters that use two swords. ;)
  • mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    After playing around with the Hunter Ranger I have come to the conclusion that had this idea in character design been around when the game 1st launched we would have seen a similar weapon swap mechanic for the Fighter class. Tab to go two-hander then Tab to go back to weapon and shield.

I could even see a Cleric with the same mechanic. Tab to go to Implement then tab to go to a weapon (or weapon and shield).

And as in the Hunter Ranger each power would have in this mode power does X and in this mode power does Y
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited January 2014
    Seen a lot of class suggestions threads, and paragon path suggestions, but you have to remember NW uses 4e. Found a easy enough site for info on 4e if anyone is interested.

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/D%26D4_Wiki

So it seems there should be eventually a total of 10 classes, not all seem to get 3 paragon paths.

Ranger-
    Paladin-
    Druid-(Seems itll have a beast form, probably going to be its TAB skill)
    Warlock-
    Rogue-
    Cleric-
    Bard-
    Fighter-
    Wizard-
    Fighter-

Not saying Cryptic will go exactly by the book with each class but its a good preview of what we might get (Eventually) The site also has the Subclasses for each class, though I didnt see a "Trickster" listed on Rogue, just scoundrel and thief.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited January 2014
    Wrote fighter twice, should have been *Barbarian* for the second one...and Chrome doesn't like letting me edit my posts for some odd reason lol
  • cpendletcpendlet Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2014
    Some you missed (from their online character builder):
    Controllers:
    Seeker
    Invoker
    Psion

Defenders:
    Battlemind
    Warden

Leader:
    Ardent
    Artificer
    Runepriest
    Shaman
    Warlord

Strikers:
    Assassin
    Avenger
    Monk

Edit: there are also the Essentials character classes as well (some of which are very different from the original class - Warpriest for example - its a melee cleric)
  • vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Assassin would be cooler than "Trickster"
This discussion has been closed.