test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pure damage Wizard build - Feywild

Comments

• pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    May I ask a few questions?

I like your spec most from what I've read in this subforum. Seems there's a lot of damage going on with basically the same CC as in more conservative builds, from what I tried on the test shard. So, seeing that I haven't use my free respec yet, I'd like to give it a go. There are a few things I'm not comfortable with though or don't understand what you meant properly.

- shard seems an awesome spell now. But Enfeeblement might be quite necessary to have for single target? I wouldn't want to miss either.
    - the 1st chill spec will use Chilling Cloud in PvP as well? Is it effective? Seems very slow, never saw anybody using it.
    - in arcane based 2nd spec, at one point you write "CC and MM" for at wills. So one should use both, or use CC for AoE situations and MM for single target? Maybe you can clarify.
    - Storm Pillar is kinda inconvenient to use. Is it replaceable in the Arcane spec, without too much of a loss?
    - you have Chilling Presence, Evocation, Storm Spell and EotS all taken. I'm using SS and EotS now, and they work nicely. Would it be worth dropping one so I can have my Ray of Enfeeblement? I suppose the one that I see you recommend least is EotS from these.

So in the end, what I am trying to find out is a spec rooted in yours that contains these factors:

- uses CC for AoE trash than maybe switches for MM at single target bosses, or just stick with CC if the dps loss is negligible
    - hopefully keeps Enfeeblement, SotEA and EotS

Any advice? Sadly I cannot test specs properly on the test shard because I have nobody to run dungeons with and I'm limited to dummies, and I don't want to waste my free respec, I'm a poor mage :)

Thanks.
  • nevets6169nevets6169 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pers3phone, i had the same thinking as you or maybe roughly similar build ^^

how would u all rate this build? plan to respec it soon
    currently, i don't have Opp force and shard. ( i knows its good now)
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=p7j:4c94s:8feb,13e3ih0:60000:bu0zv:b0000&h=0
    tiefling CW, int/cha, thaumaturge

I had decided to drop
    shield to rank 1, cause seldom use it after the nerf except for "throwing" mob over the ledge
    arcane singularity to rank 2, because with Opp force, AS only used to throw in some map

as for passive, i know u like evocation, cause u r using vorpal, and evocation can add flat 15% damage to ur AOE skill
    thus, it make your critical damage go higher
    but i still prefer using Plague fire, in my normal group, im the one that provide debuff from HV and PF
    so i like storm spell and EotS, cause the DOT proc storm spell alot
    i usually running dungeon with - (CoI-MASTERY), shard, sudden storm/icy terrain(depends i need more dmg or CC), steal time

i still learn chilling presense as backup, incase they change EotS back to the old version, then 18% will be good. it also good for some boss with chill stacking

as for feat, my doubt will be reaper's touch vs critical power
    if AP generation from shard is good, and critical power make it better, we can have more CC and more damage at the same time, rather than spam at-will

different skill have different usage at different situation
    so i try to get all skill that is necessary
  • kobohoggykobohoggy Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    After doing some extensive testing and calculations with this build, I found that it simply lacks in the DPS category when compared to my own build. Keep in mind that my gs and stats is about similar to what Kerro have with the exception that I have a Greater Vorpal slotted instead of a Pefect. My build follows the Renegade Tree and it relies exclusively on good rotations, and with good timing and combos is able to consistently outdps Kerros second arcane hybrid build by at least 8-12%, because his build is not the most efficient at using the boulder of fury rotation, wqhich is by far the best single AOE dps skill available atm and would make no sense not to go down the arcane mastery route. This had me pretty excited as I am by far the highest DPS doer of any T2 dungeons I partied up in, without fail all the time. I will now try to make a guide on the build I am using, and I am trying to compile it in a good format with all the extensive information having not done a guide before, so bear with me, with all the calculations, and not just the Feat trees and power tree, but the specific rotations I use for a given moment, or situation rotation. Watch this space.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My build was made basically almost after this build.
    I have some different view about class features though. Means I don't use Evocation and use instead Chilling Presence(single)/EOFTS(pve)+Storm Spell.

I want to ask now that I get my hand on vorpal enchantment the eye of the storm class feature become mandatory to me to make the most of vorpal right?
  • chihuabchihuab Member Posts: 71
    edited September 2013
    I agree, if you want DPS you should go with arcane.
    I am looking forward for your guide :)
    edited September 2013
    nevets6169 wrote: »
    pers3phone, i had the same thinking as you or maybe roughly similar build ^^

You found nice mixeup there I'd say. I personally went in the end with a modified Renegade version of grimah 's build and dropped Thaum (with regret). But I am playing with another HV mage with this kerrovitarra's cold build and the DPS is overall the same, very small differences which I attribute to stuff like one of us dying, or missing a few Shard spells on big packs and so on. This allows me to enjoy best of PvP and PvE.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    May I ask a few questions?
    1. RoE is better for single, but there are no extra points in frost build and, personally, I already switched to arcane version of my build. But there is a possibility to drop points from shield and one (or 2) points from IT and take RoE, if you want.
    2. First build uses Ray of Frost for PvP.
    3. Chilling Cloud for maintaining +5% buff and AM for rest.
    4. Yes, take malevolent surge and remove pillar, if you want.
    5. Evocation is best for AoE. EotS works mostly on single target and PvP. ChP gives good damage boost for static single target, where you wouldn't run or dodge too much. Storm Spell is must have passive.
    6. You still can use Chilling Cloud for single target in arcane spec, but you will lose arcane stacks: +15% damage for MM and RoE (and +duration of RoE).
    kozi001 wrote: »
    I want to ask now that I get my hand on vorpal enchantment the eye of the storm class feature become mandatory to me to make the most of vorpal right?
    EotS works better, if you don't have any crit. The more crit you have - the less EotS will give. And it often procs, when it isn't needed in PvE AoE occasions.
    kobohoggy wrote: »
    After doing some extensive testing and calculations with this build, I found that it simply lacks in the DPS category when compared to my own build. Keep in mind that my gs and stats is about similar to what Kerro have with the exception that I have a Greater Vorpal slotted instead of a Pefect. My build follows the Renegade Tree and it relies exclusively on good rotations, and with good timing and combos is able to consistently outdps Kerros second arcane hybrid build by at least 8-12%, because his build is not the most efficient at using the boulder of fury rotation, wqhich is by far the best single AOE dps skill available atm and would make no sense not to go down the arcane mastery route. This had me pretty excited as I am by far the highest DPS doer of any T2 dungeons I partied up in, without fail all the time. I will now try to make a guide on the build I am using, and I am trying to compile it in a good format with all the extensive information having not done a guide before, so bear with me, with all the calculations, and not just the Feat trees and power tree, but the specific rotations I use for a given moment, or situation rotation. Watch this space.
    Didn't quite understand. Can you show your calculations? I simply can't believe that rene can outDPS thau in AoE. Thau boosts all arcane encounters for 10% and has +15% damage on SotEA, while rene has random proccing NW and +15% additional CS with it. Not to mention +25% and +10% flat damage buffs from thau at-wills.
    edited September 2013
    1. RoE is better for single, but there are no extra points in frost build and, personally, I already switched to arcane version of my build. But there is a possibility to drop points from shield and one (or 2) points from IT and take RoE, if you want.
    2. First build uses Ray of Frost for PvP.
    3. Chilling Cloud for maintaining +5% buff and AM for rest.
    4. Yes, take malevolent surge and remove pillar, if you want.
    5. Evocation is best for AoE. EotS works mostly on single target and PvP. ChP gives good damage boost for static single target, where you wouldn't run or dodge too much. Storm Spell is must have passive.
    6. You still can use Chilling Cloud for single target in arcane spec, but you will lose arcane stacks: +15% damage for MM and RoE (and +duration of RoE).

Thanks for the answers. I already figured out some of these things by myself but it's always very good to have confirmation from more experienced people.
    I simply can't believe that rene can outDPS thau in AoE. Thau boosts all arcane encounters for 10% and has +15% damage on SotEA, while rene has random proccing NW and +15% additional CS with it. Not to mention +25% and +10% flat damage buffs from thau at-wills.

Why did you have to say this? Now I am having second thoughts about going Renegade again :) They should move the SotEA buff to the Rene tree.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    They should move the SotEA buff to the Rene tree.
    If only in exchange with 15% permanent crit severity :)
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    not sure why you skip on bitter cold. its practically a permanent +5% to all damage vs 15% on only shard for example or a short duration debuff after using an arcane encounter.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited September 2013
    EotS works better, if you don't have any crit. The more crit you have - the less EotS will give. And it often procs, when it isn't needed in PvE AoE occasions.

I am sorry I don't understand something fundamental here.
    I understand that with high critical EotS shall be avoided but I thought vorpal just raise the damage with critical severity and not critical chance.

So I thought If I can have 6 second guaranteed critical with EotS it will be a good thing because n.vorpal are doing +25% more damage for 6 seconds.
    edited September 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    not sure why you skip on bitter cold. its practically a permanent +5% to all damage vs 15% on only shard for example or a short duration debuff after using an arcane encounter.

+10% mitigation debuff applies directly before strike, meaning +10% damage to all arcane spells, iirc.
    +15% shard damage and +20% IR damage is personal preference. Damage difference in real fights is barely noticable.
    kozi001 wrote: »
    I am sorry I don't understand something fundamental here.
    I understand that with high critical EotS shall be avoided but I thought vorpal just raise the damage with critical severity and not critical chance.

So I thought If I can have 6 second guaranteed critical with EotS it will be a good thing because n.vorpal are doing +25% more damage for 6 seconds.

EotS lasts only 2-3 seconds. In my case, it often procs, when I cast SotEA and expires right before boulder hits pack: boulder is slow and there is a delay before cast and ability to hurl it. Same problem for Sudden Storm: projectile speed is slow. EotS is good for DoT damage: DoTs, applied wit EotS buff will crit even after buff expire.
    edited September 2013
    I see. Thx!
    Might I just try to use for those then.
  • tokse2tokse2 Member Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Kerrovitarra,

have you respecced your build to include Focused Wizardry (+3% AoE damage per rank) now that (according to nethreldras' tests) Focused Wizardry and Wizard's Wrath works on so many spells, including CoI, SS, IT, OP etc.?
    edited September 2013
    No. FW gives +9% AoE damage, LS gives ~6% to all damage.
    edited September 2013
    No. FW gives +9% AoE damage, LS gives ~6% to all damage.
    So +1,2% damage per rank on all damage beats +3% AoE damage per rank? Well, if PvP is the priority I guess...
    edited September 2013
    Single target damage too.
    edited September 2013
    A thing to note in that context of PVP and single target boss fights -
    CoI now benefits from the +15% AoE damage from WW/FW, so if we play CoI together with Chill Strike in the spell mastery slot, at least 2/4 encounters (3 if we play shield) benefits from the +15% damage.
    edited September 2013
    Chill strike on mastery in single target fight/PvP? Shield in single target fight/PvP? You kidding?
  • deviltyphoon2deviltyphoon2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's important to me to know if this build is a bit effective against Permastealth TR that oneshot everyone
    edited October 2013
    It's important to me to know if this build is a bit effective against Permastealth TR that oneshot everyone

Only permastealths that come close to oneshotting people have tenes. To counter tenes you need specific PvP build, specific PvP gear, and preferably tenes yourself.

This build is amazing, but it is however mostly for dishing ungodly AoE damage in dungeons.
    edited October 2013
    Only permastealths that come close to oneshotting people have tenes. To counter tenes you need specific PvP build, specific PvP gear, and preferably tenes yourself.

This build is amazing, but it is however mostly for dishing ungodly AoE damage in dungeons.

So...what build is PVP specific for the wizard? I already read the other pvp build but people always have something to criticize..
    edited October 2013
    So...what build is PVP specific for the wizard? I already read the other pvp build but people always have something to criticize..

Try Tiah's and Blinkbeard's Oppressor guides:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475921-Oppressor-PvP-guide-video-(HD)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?488121-Blinkbeard-s-PvP-Oppressor-Guide

Some CWs play Renegade, but from what I saw when I met the best CWs in the game, Oppressor is more efficient in terms of survivability and control. There's obviously something to criticize everywhere, that's why there is a test shard you can freely test builds in.

The thing is, CW is the most vulnerable class in PvP, and for one to best survive, it needs:

- lots of HP, some defense, deflect, regen are awesome as well
    - lots of control
    - lots of burst (i.e. preferably a Perfect Vorpal on a good weapon)
    - a good team to hide behind and dish damage
    - lots of mobility and awareness

Good TRs will still get you from time to time, but when you will catch them out of stealth and hopefully encounters, it's payback time. And you will lose 90%of the times against those with tenes if you don't have them, and buying them now is not recommended since they will get a nerf.

Anyway, best to read those guides :)
    edited October 2013
    Try Tiah's and Blinkbeard's Oppressor guides:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475921-Oppressor-PvP-guide-video-(HD)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?488121-Blinkbeard-s-PvP-Oppressor-Guide

Some CWs play Renegade, but from what I saw when I met the best CWs in the game, Oppressor is more efficient in terms of survivability and control. There's obviously something to criticize everywhere, that's why there is a test shard you can freely test builds in.

The thing is, CW is the most vulnerable class in PvP, and for one to best survive, it needs:

- lots of HP, some defense, deflect, regen are awesome as well
    - lots of control
    - lots of burst (i.e. preferably a Perfect Vorpal on a good weapon)
    - a good team to hide behind and dish damage
    - lots of mobility and awareness

Good TRs will still get you from time to time, but when you will catch them out of stealth and hopefully encounters, it's payback time. And you will lose 90%of the times against those with tenes if you don't have them, and buying them now is not recommended since they will get a nerf.

Anyway, best to read those guides :)

Ohhhhhh Thank you :D
  • allbeefpattyallbeefpatty Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great guide! I just started playing this game with some friends and all I wanted was to do massive AoE damage, this build looks perfect. One thing I'm still confused about: what attributes do I add into as I level up? Int/Cha evenly?
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Great guide! I just started playing this game with some friends and all I wanted was to do massive AoE damage, this build looks perfect. One thing I'm still confused about: what attributes do I add into as I level up? Int/Cha evenly?

You might want to wait for the thread creator to answer definitely, but as far as I know INT/CHA for level-ups is pretty standard as they are the most important stats for a CW.
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, Kerrovitarra did went for INT & CHA, as he stated in a couple of posts back in the day.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • theoddonerulestheoddonerules Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    If you are going for pure damage, I would make a few suggested changes to your build. First, drop Ray of Frost as one of your at-wills and take Storm Pillar. Next drop Elemental Empowerment and take Destructive Wizardry instead. You will then alternate Storm Pillar and Chilling Cloud in between your encounter abilities and be giving yourself and even more substantial damage boost. I also stuck with Bitter Cold rather than Critical Power as I'm finding my AP generation to be just fine

I run with your Encounter 3 set up and without a doubt it is the highest damage setup that we have.

Could you mayby post a picture of the changes? (powers and feats) if possible :)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    atm im considering dropping 2 arcane enhancement and 1 blinding power to max fight on cause with 3.5k recovery and 25 in and 15 wis the rotation doesnt feel as smooth as before when i had max fight on, its like a second on encounter thats always left when i want to cast them
    Paladin Master Race
  • erden123erden123 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hello guys i need build for this new paragon path fire can someone reach me with private mesg.