Options

Dev Blog: Item Progression System

Comments

• Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i have a r5 dark i want to upgrade.

i have 5 r4 darks and 5 r4 silvers. i drop all 5 r4 darks into the appropriate slots in the refinement window. they immediately show that i'm getting a bonus for each one. +270 refinement points for each. the RP bar shows how many points i'm going to have after i press the 'refine' button.
    10808292606_d027d95477_o.jpg

this is what the refinement window looks like after i press the refine button:
    10808544833_212a962c0c_o.jpg

here, i've added my 5 r4 silvers. since they're not darks, i'll only get +135 refinement points for each.
    10808293896_26ce0bf1d2_o.jpg

in this last shot, i've actually gone over the refinement point requirement and these extra refinement points will carry over if my enchantment refines successfully. as you can see, the refine button has changed to an 'upgrade' button. you don't need to drag and drop the reagent (it says catalyst, but i suspect when this goes live, it will say reagent) into the slot. if it's in your inventory, it will appear here. if you have three of the appropriate type, it will show 3/1 instead of 1/1.
    10808293045_a829a8b189_o.jpg

if you look below the reagent (called a mark of potency), there is the slot for the ward. and you can't miss the % chance of success at the end of the RP bar. if i put a preservation ward there, it will protect my reagent. if i don't, i can lose my reagent. when upgrading to higher rank enchantments, i believe it's r7 and higher, one of the reagents will be another r7 enchantment plus your mark of potency. for r8 to r9, you will need two r8s and so on. higher rank upgrades also require more than one mark of potency.

The marks are pretty irritating. Why do they have to come from skill nodes... Monster drops, ok - we could farm that in foundry missions... but skill nodes... especially dungeon 1 time use nodes... oh god...

• Options
    baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The marks are pretty irritating. Why do they have to come from skill nodes... Monster drops, ok - we could farm that in foundry missions... but skill nodes... especially dungeon 1 time use nodes... oh god...

It has been suggested time and time again to ensure roll windows pop up for those, not sure if they will consider it. It would prevent a lot of drama potential.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    baylen76 wrote: »
    It has been suggested time and time again to ensure roll windows pop up for those, not sure if they will consider it. It would prevent a lot of drama potential.

I don't know if I agree with skill nodes being counted for Need/Greed/Pass rolls, as accessing one that's not of your class costs you 1 or more skill kits... why should everyone else necessarily get a chance at what you get from them?

Giving enemies in epic instances a chance to drop catalysts, OTOH, I'm in favor of...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    About the suggestion of wards prompting rolls: Else, greedy people will either run to nodes instead of focusing on the next battle or, before a fight is even ending, stand right on top of a node to make sure they get it instead of contributing to the fight. Kit cost is neglectable, this is to prevent antisocial behaviour.
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm wondering how the unique enchantments and very rare enchantments from the lockboxes will be handled with this system, will you be able to upgrade them the same way? also what of the unique enchantment from the knight of the feywild pack, it's currently at 'normal' level (rather than lesser, greater or perfect quality, could i conceivably upgrade that into a perfect version?
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the unique enchantments and very rare enchantments from the lockboxes will be handled with this system, will you be able to upgrade them the same way? also what of the unique enchantment from the knight of the feywild pack, it's currently at 'normal' level (rather than lesser, greater or perfect quality, could i conceivably upgrade that into a perfect version?

yep works just the same, its just going to be a bit tougher to rank up because the chance you will be able to use matching rune in refinement for the bonus is pretty slim.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Skill nodes should work fine for me now that I will have the inventory space to carry around the kits. For everyone saying they need more inventory space for the new system, I guess it depends on how you us it. My enhancements will mostly be in my gear, so all I will have is the catalysts and a couple of rare shards from epic dungeons I am keeping to refine later. Currently I have most of the rank 4 runestones and enhancements, most of the rank five runestones and enhancements, several rank 6 runestones and enhancements, a rank 7 enhancement, and several rare dungeon/Sharandar weapon and armor enhancement fragments. I will finally be able to actually play foundry quests (Besides review trades, but I still leave 99% of my loot on the ground.), dungeons, and Sharandar dailies again.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    also what of the unique enchantment from the knight of the feywild pack, it's currently at 'normal' level (rather than lesser, greater or perfect quality, could i conceivably upgrade that into a perfect version?

Ones from packs can't be upgraded. It would be impossible to do so anyway due to how the system work since it would require another enchantment of the same type and rank to be used as part of the reagent cost.
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This seems like a copy and paste from Lord of the Rings Online's early Legendary equipment system...which isn't a bad thing at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Ones from packs can't be upgraded. It would be impossible to do so anyway due to how the system work since it would require another enchantment of the same type and rank to be used as part of the reagent cost.

I was slightly confused as to how it works. It does require another enchantment of the same type and rank for the reagent cost.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For the higher enchants yes you do need another enchant of the same rank for reagent cost. So a R7 will need another R7 for reagent
  • Options
    xperfixperfi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    This is incorrect. The most current changes on the preview server have removed the AD coast to fuse, and overall it's much cheaper to create higher level enchants. So they've actually done everything you're still complaining about.

exactly my thoughts, no matter how good the improvements are people will always complain.
    for me personally the changes are great. I spent some hours on preview server to try the new system out and made some calculations and it's just awesome.
    I just wonder how the drop rate will look like of blue and purple catalysts in dungeons to see if they will be cheaper in AH than 25k and 100k which they cost at the NPC.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    For the higher enchants yes you do need another enchant of the same rank for reagent cost. So a R7 will need another R7 for reagent

Ah, ok i found it while reading they didn't make that very clear. My bad.
    So we reduced the matching Enchantment requirements of these high Rank Enchantments to only 1 match, instead of 3 matches. This, coupled with the fact that Refining them could now be done directly with any rank of Enchantment or Runestone, meant that we also removed hundreds of upgrade steps (and potential failure points) from the process.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    reading the post i found out that i didn't ubdwrsand anythig about the new ref sys. So ty for explanation
  • Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When I saw the new syst. 1st time it was MEH...looked too complicated & stuff.
    But after reading for a bit + checking it out on Mimic it looks really good.

I encourage everyone to go check it out on the preview shard, it really is a helpful tool.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I was able to patch the preview server and get about 10 minutes to check this system before getting wife agro. I had a stack 16 rank 5 runestones of training, enough to make 4x r6's, which could make an r7 under the current system.

I had read that you need less enchants to upgrade under this new system. However, when I started combining, 2 or 3 weren't enough to fill the exp bar. So I used 4, just like the current system requires. However, after reading this thread, I think I missed the part where the 4th was overkill and I could have gotten a full bar with a lesser tier enchant as the 4th, or some combination of other enchants.

However, unlike the current system, in order to upgrade I needed a regeant which cost 25k. I only did one upgrade to r6. So my though was, in order for me to convert my original stack of 16 r5's to a single r7 I would need 100k to get 4x r's and whatever the cost (at least another 25k) to make the r7.

Then I realized something. Why am I trying to upgrade r5's into r6's when my goal is to have a single r7? Follow me here. If my goal is to have a single r7, then I should have only upgraded ONE of my r5's into a r'6 then feed my r6 with the r'5 until the exp bar was full enough to make a 7!!!! I would be spending 25k plus whatever (25k?) to make a single 7 from 2 effective upgrades rather than 5 upgrades) That said, I would still want to see if using 15 rank 5's will give you enough feeder exp to reach a single rank 7.
  • Options
    jksgsakfsodshgjksgsakfsodshg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One thing I would love to see, is higher level enchantments as a rare DD-chest loot, for example:

T1 - Rank 5
    T2 - Rank 6
    T2.5 - Rank 7

The droprate have to be low, like 4% or even lower, but it would be a fresh breeze and make chests interesting again if you help someone running a dungeon where you already got the loot you want :)
  • Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The refining system has certainly improved since it was first introduced, and I'm glad the devs have listened to some of the complaints on the forum, but the main issue now is the catalyst/reagent.

They're expensive and don't drop often enough or in enough places. The ones for higher level upgrades are especially hard to find and seem to have been placed (epic dungeons, boss drops) so that people will fight over them and just create unnecessary aggro within groups.

I think it would be better to get rid of reagents entirely and have a % loss of RP when upgrading fails. I know the devs think it's a good idea and will make things better and that they're unlikely to junk them, but I think it's clear to most of us that that's what should happen.

That one change would make the new system infinitely better.
  • Options
    leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    shunterino wrote: »
    ...I think it would be better to get rid of reagents entirely and have a % loss of RP when upgrading fails. ...
    That one change would make the new system infinitely better.

That would be great for the players, without doubt. However, you are asking them to scrap a new idea to generate cash. To date, the only cash the make is by people buying Coal Wards. Now, they get that cash AND can sell you the new regents in form of an AD sink.

We ARE getting a "better system". But one that we will pay for.
  • Options
    neverwinterscotneverwinterscot Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Excellent upgrades. This part of the game has been a frustration for me for a long time. Thank you for implementing these improvements.
  • Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    leeford wrote: »
    That would be great for the players, without doubt. However, you are asking them to scrap a new idea to generate cash. To date, the only cash the make is by people buying Coal Wards. Now, they get that cash AND can sell you the new regents in form of an AD sink.

We ARE getting a "better system". But one that we will pay for.

But the AD costs for unslotting was also an AD sink, only no one used it. All they're doing is making the same mistake again. people will either (reluctantly) farm them or not bother. They certainly won't enjoy the new improved process.
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kitobi wrote: »
    More of a AD sink to make you or even force you to buy AD from the main site.

You know they replaced the AD cost right, under the current implementation of the new system, the only AD costs are completely optional.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    kaoxveedkaoxveed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Still have to have wards to get any decent enchantments. I have gotten 2 Coal wards out of 4 months of playing and because the prices are so restrictive I still have no interest in paying money for anything in this game. I miss subscription model games...
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Please be aware that per rule 3.08 of Rules of Conduct, Pay to Win discussions in any form are prohibited. Please refrain from discussion of the topic. Thanks!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know they replaced the AD cost right, under the current implementation of the new system, the only AD costs are completely optional.

Well, don't you *need* catalysts in order to complete the refining process, under the new system? For new characters, they should get them from the level-up boxes, but existing characters are either going to have to buy them or farm for them...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The ones from the level-up boxes are just the lowest rank ones, which non-levelling character wouldn't have any practical use for, as you'd be far better off using anything they can refine for points rather than upgrading them.

Farming for reagents isn't so different from farming for enchantments, which people were doing already. And if they didn't farm for them themselves, they either bought the stuff or went without.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    elricthedullelricthedull Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay so first of all i have been on the preview server and i have done the experimenting necessary for this comment. The reagent/catalyst cost is too high. You specifically stated in the BLOG that you realized that we as players are cheap *** <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and are not willing to spend AD on enchants. Yet you put these reagents on the Wondrous Bazaar for us to spend ad on. Current prices to fuse a rank 7 enchant for most people is 100k AD for a coalescent ward from the Ah, or 200 Tourmaline trade bars, or if your lucky ONCE a week from the invoking coin thingy. Now if i do all of my dailies i can refine 24k Ad a day, so it will take me 4 days to get 1 greater mark of potency from the wondrous bazaar. so how is this supposed to be different? i am going to spend 200k to upgrade a rank 7 enchant, 100k more then i spent before. Unless you are going to make it a 100% drop from epic bosses getting these Marks of potency is still going to suck, plus you have to roll against 4 other people making it so that your chance of winning them is still 1 in 5, which forces us to buy the reagents from the bazaar. this is really stupid. if you want to make them LOWER that's fine, say 5k for the Greater mark that would be acceptable, of course if you increased the amount of AD that can be refined per day that would help too. Oh and i didn't mention that the Blue mark needed for rank 5 and 6 enchants is 25k ad. so, lets go over it again yeah i can get a rank 4 enchant to drop pretty quickly, but to fuse it i spend 25k for a catalyst. okay then to make the rank six i spend 50k for catalyst ('cause you need 2), that's 75k ad right their, then to get that rank 7 i need 100k plus i need a coal ward, so MINIMUM is 275k AD, and that does not include any type of ward for the rank 5 and 6 enchants. this new system is fine for people who have been able to keep all of their AD because they were able to exploit the dungeons get all their gear with no effort and invest all of their ad into enchants, but for those of us who didn't, your making it impossible to play this game. I get you want to make money and i am all for that, but you need to think about the LIMITS you are imposing on people who can only spend 15 or so dollars a month to get stuff. I feel like you guys are using a bait and switch hook to get people to play this game, you advertise it as free to play. But then once your invested in the character it becomes pay to survive, compete, and win. I still have not heard any feedback on the stupid post, i posted, about re-tuning the encounters in places like Temple of the spider, Lair of the mad dragon, and Grey wolf Den. Until these encounters are re-tuned for people with lower gear, we will be forced to spend close to 1 million ad for tier 2 gear, and you want us to keep spending ad, on enchants and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too? How would you like it if the phone company said every time your phone rang they were going to charge you 50.00 dollars? The ringing of your phone is an integral part of the function of your phone. Enchants are an integral part of the game, so why are you making us have to spend so much AD to enchant?

To sum up, we can refine 24k AD a day, which in my opinion is to low you can EARN close to 50,000 AD on a good day so a refine increase to say 48k would be appropriate. Along with that re-tune the encounters in Temple of the Spider, Grey Wolf den, and Lair of the mad dragon, so that people who have the recommended gear score to get in can actually succeed without being carried by people in higher tiered gear. Finally, reduce the catalyst cost buy a factor of 5 and i think that will be fine. Blue marks would be 5k and epic marks would be 20k. That way i could buy an epic mark with the amount of ad i can earn in a day.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new system is perfect, the only 1 cry here are the farmer or the bot. Ins't expensice, because a perfect enchant will cost you 1.5mil AD so, pls, stop blame for something good. You can get rank 4 while you go on quest, don't need high rank for lvl, since you change gear almost all 2 lvl. When you reach lvl 60, you have to farm for better stone. No more fast lvl up and buy stuf got from glitch, bug.

Nice Dev and Cryptic, if that will come live all the legit player will be happy. That's the way, good work
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jacksoon wrote: »
    The new system is perfect, the only 1 cry here are the farmer or the bot. Ins't expensice, because a perfect enchant will cost you 1.5mil AD so, pls, stop blame for something good. You can get rank 4 while you go on quest, don't need high rank for lvl, since you change gear almost all 2 lvl. When you reach lvl 60, you have to farm for better stone. No more fast lvl up and buy stuf got from glitch, bug.

Nice Dev and Cryptic, if that will come live all the legit player will be happy. That's the way, good work

Are you sure about the 1.5m? x.X

• Options
    grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    sorry...
    the Shard of ........... Enchantment can be merged in the same way or do I have lesser one?