test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Blog: Item Progression System

dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
edited November 2013 in News & Announcements
We're improving the Fusing system for Module 2: Shadowmantle. Read more about it in our new Dev Blog with Neverwinter Lead Systems Designer, Chris Matz: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1028581

Check out the Dev Blog and let us know what you think about the changes!

-Dwight
Post edited by dwightmc on

Comments

• banaaaaanbanaaaaan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new system is better but it takes AD to make them, earlier it was just AD to unslot, please remove it that you have to use insane amounts of AD to get one (like 400K AD+ just to get to 1 rank 7), I like it that you can refine while they are slotted in your armor, but please, reduce the costs. people who are leveling don't have the AD to fully fuse their items.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thought I saw patch note for Shadowmantle preview that AD no longer required for upgrading
    banaaaaan wrote: »
    The new system is better but it takes AD to make them, earlier it was just AD to unslot, please remove it that you have to use insane amounts of AD to get one (like 400K AD+ just to get to 1 rank 7), I like it that you can refine while they are slotted in your armor, but please, reduce the costs. people who are leveling don't have the AD to fully fuse their items.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Looks like the New link has gone dead...getting a gateway timeout..
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dwightmc wrote: »
    We're improving the Fusing system for Module 2: Shadowmantle. Read more about it in our new Dev Blog with Neverwinter Lead Systems Designer, Chris Matz: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1028581

Check out the Dev Blog and let us know what you think about the changes!

-Dwight

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1028581
    Mine is forever loading, even using different browsers.

Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.
    Reference #1.559efea5.1384196646.689b7e2
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Probably a temporary hiccup with the website in general.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yep, also a dead link. :(
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    banaaaaan wrote: »

This is incorrect. The most current changes on the preview server have removed the AD coast to fuse, and overall it's much cheaper to create higher level enchants. So they've actually done everything you're still complaining about.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2013
    Probably a temporary hiccup with the website in general.

Yes, the website has been having some intermittent issues today. We're looking into it. The site seems to be working now, but if it goes down again just check back after an hour or so. We apologize for the inconvenience.

-Dwight
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I looks great, the bag space was a huge issue for me. To the point where I was not doing many dungeons because having four spaces in my bag was just not enough for it. It is also nice that I feel I can safely put enhancements into my item rather than just collecting them.

Edit: The link worked when using it from this form post, but not the link from logging in.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What about wards? how will they be used in the new system?

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The bag space - story isn't true. Right now all i need is 2 rows of enchantments (r4's + r5's). In the future i need, space for the "reagents" (which only come from skill nodes and dungeons > yay exploiters/botters).

It would be great to have all the mats in a seperated tab. It also wouldn't hurt, if every monster had a chance of dropping reagents, scaled to difficulty and level, of course. As it stands, this is tailored towards speed runners and botters.

If you say otherwise, go try to farm skill nodes. Tell me how many bots you meet on the way.

• dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What about wards? how will they be used in the new system?

The same way they are used in the current system. Coal wards will increase the chance to 100% and preservation wards will protect "reagents" when you try to go up to the next rank in the case of failure.
    If you say otherwise, go try to farm skill nodes. Tell me how many bots you meet on the way.

I have never had issues with bots when I go to farm skill nodes.
  • darminiondarminion Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2013
    Ya know, this seems pretty **** awesome, if I may say so. :)
    edited November 2013
    Don't get me wrong, i like the system. Minus the reagents. Get rid of that stuff... we're already forced to be using wards. There's no need for other items that cannot be obtained by killing monsters.

edited November 2013
    Or, are we still able to fuse without protection? I'd rather loose a couple of enchantments than farming skill nodes.

I cannot access the pts from this pc, if anybody knows if it's still possible, please let me know.

Thx.

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it's your choice to refine without a protection ward, but if the process fails, you'll lose the reagents. you won't lose refinement points or the original enchantment/runestone.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How about letting the Enchantments and anything related take up space in the crafting tab? Makes since to me as this is a type of crafting. Just a thought.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    it's your choice to refine without a protection ward, but if the process fails, you'll lose the reagents. you won't lose refinement points or the original enchantment/runestone.

So i do need the reagents... this interrupts the enchantment farming flow by quite a lot, sadly. Arg...

edited November 2013
    So i do need the reagents... this interrupts the enchantment farming flow by quite a lot, sadly. Arg...

actually it's not as bad as you might think. some of the reagents are supposed to drop from skill nodes. the greater mark of potency, the purple reagent, is supposed to drop from epic bosses. all of these will also be available for purchase in the wondrous bazaar for AD. at least that's the way that i understand it.

and since the reagents aren't BoP, i would imagine they'll be for sale on the AH as well. but at what price point remains a mystery.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am still unclear as to how wards and the new catalysts figure into the whole equation. Is there still a chance for failure? I thought I also read that dissimilar enchantment types don't count for as much when it comes to the refinement point system...

I'd also like to point out that most people don't bother slotting enchants while leveling up because you go through gear so quickly, not because they really care about saving those R1, 2, or 3 enchants. Once you hit 60, you get so many R4's from dungeons and other content, that those R1-3's are just a waste. I'd also like to point out that as long as enchantments you have already started refining take up separate inventory space, the issue of bag space has not been addressed. If the devs really want to address this, give us a separate enchant/rune tab.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes there is still a chance for failure. I made a R5 enchant yesterday. Had a 60% chance to make the R5. Did not use any wards and managed to have a success. As someone else stated, if you fail you don't lose the enchant, you just lose the catalysts. And yes you can use enchants that don't match the one you are creating. They give a lower value when ranking the enchant up that you are making.
  • godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I love the new enchantment system, but there need to be a lot more in depth explanation or guides on it before it is released, because it is more complex and entirely different. It looks suspicious to players when all they are given are the benefits of the new system without any explanations as to how exactly it works. Then when they just hear little shreds of information like new catalysts are required they become very put off at the idea of the new system. This is a fundamental part of the game and a big change. Players want to understand how it works, not just what the intended benefits of it are.

However, I do encourage players to go on the test server and learn from experience how it works, as well as tell others how it works when you can. It really is a nice upgrade and will help the game a lot in my opinion, but only if people are understanding how it works so they can directly see the benefits from it themselves.
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Yes there is still a chance for failure. I made a R5 enchant yesterday. Had a 60% chance to make the R5. Did not use any wards and managed to have a success. As someone else stated, if you fail you don't lose the enchant, you just lose the catalysts. And yes you can use enchants that don't match the one you are creating. They give a lower value when ranking the enchant up that you are making.

So if a failure only results in the loss of a catalyst, does that mean that preservation wards will protect them now, instead of preventing the loss of an enchant? Also, I've read that you can buy catalysts for as little as 25 AD - will these suffice for all tiers of upgrading, or is there some additional requirement?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited November 2013
    As I have only gone to R5. You need white minor mark of potency for your R1s, 2s and 3s which cost 25AD each or they are gotten from your adventures pack at lvl 15. R4s and 5s you need lesser marks of potency which you can get from skill nodes or spend 500AD each for them. Blue marks of potency are gotten from epic dungeon skill nodes or bosses or cost 25k AD.

I found 3 lesser marks of potency in one zone in under 30 mins from skill nodes.
    edited November 2013
    Blue marks 25k AD? How in the nine hells are people assuming, that enchantments prices are going to be lower? A rank 5 goes for 2-7k not 30k AD as far as i know...

edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    As I have only gone to R5. You need white minor mark of potency for your R1s, 2s and 3s which cost 25AD each or they are gotten from your adventures pack at lvl 15. R4s and 5s you need lesser marks of potency which you can get from skill nodes or spend 500AD each for them. Blue marks of potency are gotten from epic dungeon skill nodes or bosses or cost 25k AD.

I found 3 lesser marks of potency in one zone in under 30 mins from skill nodes.

Ok, so in the current setup, I can fuse all these R4's I have to R5's, and all I risk is on of the R4's, (which I have tons of). In the new system, I *must* have or buy one of these catalysts to do the same?
    edited November 2013
    I guess it's that time of the year again, where randomly already working things are getting revamped. The same thing is happening over at CO... not sure about STO... it has to be coinscidence! I wonder if they ever heard about, don't fix what isn't broken...

• dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Ok, so in the current setup, I can fuse all these R4's I have to R5's, and all I risk is on of the R4's, (which I have tons of). In the new system, I *must* have or buy one of these catalysts to do the same?

Yes, that is correct. It will be rough going at first until people start to collect up supplies of reagents.

Of course in the new system, you can throw in all your r4s into r5s, r6s, r7s, etc. to get the refining points instead of having to fuse a bunch of r4s into r5s and then fusing those into r6s all the while losing some along the way due to failures.
    edited November 2013
    i have a r5 dark i want to upgrade.

i have 5 r4 darks and 5 r4 silvers. i drop all 5 r4 darks into the appropriate slots in the refinement window. they immediately show that i'm getting a bonus for each one. +270 refinement points for each. the RP bar shows how many points i'm going to have after i press the 'refine' button.
    10808292606_d027d95477_o.jpg

this is what the refinement window looks like after i press the refine button:
    10808544833_212a962c0c_o.jpg

here, i've added my 5 r4 silvers. since they're not darks, i'll only get +135 refinement points for each.
    10808293896_26ce0bf1d2_o.jpg

in this last shot, i've actually gone over the refinement point requirement and these extra refinement points will carry over if my enchantment refines successfully. as you can see, the refine button has changed to an 'upgrade' button. you don't need to drag and drop the reagent (it says catalyst, but i suspect when this goes live, it will say reagent) into the slot. if it's in your inventory, it will appear here. if you have three of the appropriate type, it will show 3/1 instead of 1/1.
    10808293045_a829a8b189_o.jpg

if you look below the reagent (called a mark of potency), there is the slot for the ward. and you can't miss the % chance of success at the end of the RP bar. if i put a preservation ward there, it will protect my reagent. if i don't, i can lose my reagent. when upgrading to higher rank enchantments, i believe it's r7 and higher, one of the reagents will be another r7 enchantment plus your mark of potency. for r8 to r9, you will need two r8s and so on. higher rank upgrades also require more than one mark of potency.
    edited November 2013
    I don't know all the math, others have done that in the preview forum topic for this. You don't have to spend AD if you don't want to as these marks do drop from skill nodes and epic dungeon skill nodes and epic bosses. AD cost is just if you want to get things done faster.