test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proffessions now deemed worthless imo.. :(

mistysummermistysummer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok yes I might be a bit slow but well playing last night I took notice of the fact that your purple items created in professions are now bound to character on pick up. I don't know about anyone else but myself I find this rather frustrating since I have been building my professions and assets since open beta, thinking of them as a resource for earning AD in the future. Not only have we lost the earning potential, but for us roleplayers professions was one of the few useful tools provided to us to enhance our rp experience, and now we don't even have that anymore.

I fully understand that it was better for the game's economy to disable the resale of purple gear found in dungeons or bought at the Trade of Blades and think the salvager was a great idea, keeping rare gear rare. But professions? Really? With the amount of time and resources needed to create say a set of armor a player should have the option for resale. Currently as things are now I really don't see the worth in any of the professions less Leadership and feel I have been mislead into spending unnecessary zen.

Please Cryptic if you could revisit this area of Neverwinter and find a way to give crafting back value?
Showscreation.png

"Blindness is a private matter between a person and the eyes they choose to use. For there are none so blind as those that do not listen dalharil"
Post edited by mistysummer on

Comments

• Options
    gildren0gildren0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm...

This does look bad, sort a PWE wants more money move because the weekly sales, colored dyes and drop box keys are not enough

I'd rather think it was just an oversight due to the small percentage of players who have actually advance a trade skill to the point of being able to create purple gear. If it wasn't a mistake then I have to agree, there is no reason to put any effort into any trade skill other than leadership. This change would seem to mean no more gem slot shirts or pants for anyone who has not purchased them before the change, not to mention the "new" weapon creation trade skills, potion creation etc...

Will the leadership trade skill be removed next so sell more zen?

Is that really the intent here?
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This was obvious when they first made the stuff bound. Past time to jump ship and go to better game. Leadership can expect to be nerfed till it puts out even less AD.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What items? The reinforced bracers (the recipes for which are always visible)? Those have been like that for a very long time.

Your +6 gear rare recipes are BoE, as always. I reckon the pants and shirts are as well.

Way to get people worked up.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The reinforced bracers used to be VERY profitable - I would buy the normal version, and have 2-3 tasks running constantly to create the reinforced version and then re-list them at a pretty significant profit. Then they were made BoP, which took away that source of AD. I guess the reasoning was that people would instead have to buy Zen and convert that to AD - but I don't think this worked out as intended.

With professions (other than Leadership) being significantly less profitable than before (in Platesmithing/Mailsmithing/Leatherworking/Tailoring you can still make a bit of AD from crafting shirts and pants, Alchemy is borderline, but Artificing/Weaponsmithing is just a sad joke) much of the motivation for buying profession packs is gone.....so I expect there was quite a drop in those sales.

Also, this pissed off a number of people who enjoyed crafting and had spent a lot of effort/time/AD in getting that up to 20 - and pissed-off players are not good customers.

Finally, this hurt the guilds - it is now less useful than before to have a designated guild crafter for each profession.

I think Cryptic shot itself in the foot with this one.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Full support.

I've got tailoring, weaponsmithing and artificing to lvl 20 recently. Now I feel like WHAT A WASTE.

Also, the proffessions were useful thing for interractions within clan, I guess. You could just give someone resources to craft an item for you...could.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    The reinforced bracers used to be VERY profitable - I would buy the normal version, and have 2-3 tasks running constantly to create the reinforced version and then re-list them at a pretty significant profit. Then they were made BoP, which took away that source of AD. I guess the reasoning was that people would instead have to buy Zen and convert that to AD - but I don't think this worked out as intended.

With professions (other than Leadership) being significantly less profitable than before (in Platesmithing/Mailsmithing/Leatherworking/Tailoring you can still make a bit of AD from crafting shirts and pants, Alchemy is borderline, but Artificing/Weaponsmithing is just a sad joke) much of the motivation for buying profession packs is gone.....so I expect there was quite a drop in those sales.

Also, this pissed off a number of people who enjoyed crafting and had spent a lot of effort/time/AD in getting that up to 20 - and pissed-off players are not good customers.

Finally, this hurt the guilds - it is now less useful than before to have a designated guild crafter for each profession.

I think Cryptic shot itself in the foot with this one.

What exactly would they spend the AD on? The gear is BOP!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Logic...does not exist here. :D
  • Options
    nearlydiamondnearlydiamond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Crafting anything to be BoP is ridiculous, and on that point I entirely agree with the OP, however, all of the +6 gear and Gemmed shirts and pants are still BoE.
    It was utterly insane to make the named weapons BoP and frankly contemptuous towards the player base to make the best weapons in the game BoP too. I kind of hope their sales suffer enough to make them think about this again.
  • Options
    shanefrazier93shanefrazier93 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am in full support. I have noticed a trend, which is that Cryptic is gradually taking away the ability of players to make AD in game, to force us to spend money on Zen to convert. I understand the need of a game to make money, but it's getting a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    nearlydiamondnearlydiamond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I am in full support. I have noticed a trend, which is that Cryptic is gradually taking away the ability of players to make AD in game, to force us to spend money on Zen to convert. I understand the need of a game to make money, but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I will happily spend R/L money if it's fun. I agree with you, it's gone way too far.
  • Options
    karrolanthkarrolanth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    What exactly would they spend the AD on? The gear is BOP!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Logic...does not exist here. :D

You're not reading it. People who used to make gear to sell for AD have had that source of income removed. Therefore they may now need to spend actual cash on buying ZEN to convert into AD instead, to buy the things they want.

Unfortunately PWE/Cryptic are going overboard on their need to make money and will only end up driving players away because the game becomes too expensive. Considering the cost of many Z-Store items, the relatively small amount of AD that could be made through selling items you've created was really nothing for them to worry about and should have been left alone. They could easily halve the price of some store items and sell twice as many, making the same amount of money and creating happier customers in the process. Gouging players who'd like to have something a little bit different from the norm is not the way to engender loyalty in your customers.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    karrolanth wrote: »
    You're not reading it. People who used to make gear to sell for AD have had that source of income removed.

People who used to make the reinforced bracers to sell for AD. Other than the upgraded Formorian weapons, these are the ONLY crafted items that are BoP. EVERYTHING else you can craft can be placed on the AH.

A more legitimate criticism of crafting as a source of income is that the items you can make are for the most part not as good as the items you can find, so the market for them is small, except for people who are temporarily filling in equipment gaps or using them for skins. There are opportunities to make money with crafting, but you have to spend time seeking them out.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    karrolanthkarrolanth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Then I stand corrected... I don't craft things to sell anyway, only for my own use, so I haven't encountered the issue personally. My other two points still apply though: firstly that the person I quoted hadn't read the other person's post correctly, and secondly that there was no real reason to take away that source of AD for people who wanted to use it. :)
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i had to check the date on the OP to make sure it wasn't necro'd from like... march.

there hasn't been any new changes to professions. for quite a while now, reinforced bracers have been BoP, meaning you can only create them for yourself. other crafted epics are BoE. i don't see how any of this is game breaking or some kind of indication that cryptic/pwe is dying/money-grabbing. you guys have some pretty vivid imaginations.
  • Options
    mistysummermistysummer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    A more legitimate criticism of crafting as a source of income is that the items you can make are for the most part not as good as the items you can find, so the market for them is small, except for people who are temporarily filling in equipment gaps or using them for skins. There are opportunities to make money with crafting, but you have to spend time seeking them out.

Could you be more precise on the opportunities available from crafting? Because I am not currently seeing any advantages to it except with the AD earned from leadership. As you stated in your above comment, in which I totally agree, most of what is accomplished from crafting is really no better then what can be easily found in game, leaving a very small market and low prices.

Wherein I guess I excepted something different from it, since it is harder to lvl then your character, and rare tools are so hard to find and expensive. I wouldn't even mind if they added more rare components into the game, making crafting more of a challenge to create epic gear and this in turn this would add value to crafted items. But at least make it worth wild.

As it sits currently I stand by my first statement "Professions are deemed worthless IMO" and not worth buying packs for.
    Showscreation.png

"Blindness is a private matter between a person and the eyes they choose to use. For there are none so blind as those that do not listen dalharil"
  • Options
    skylher12skylher12 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    all exquisite gemmed pants and shirts are still boe.. so tailoring, leatherworking, blacksmithing, and mailsmithing are all viable ad makers for professions, as well as leadership obviously. the reason the fabled weapons are bop i suspect is so people leveled the new professions when they came out, not to mention had to work for the weapon (frankly all the exploiting with the ancient weapons from cn probably had something to do with this) The reinforced bracers have been bop for so long now it shouldnt even be brought up in this conversation.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Have to agree, bop was a bad idea for professions :/ They do want the money though.
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One of the main problems is you can get equivalent/better equipment just through normal play, you need the Blue stuff to get something better but that isn't always available, (from levels 1 - 59 i mean). If the randomly available stuff listed in rare was available at all times you would see some use to crafting. Just not for new players. You need to be able to level your crafting with you char to get value out of crafting, but right now that's just not possible for a new player. At least not without spending A LOT of AD, and right now there's just not enough payoff to do that!

Plus when you get to LVL 60, the gear you can make is worse than anything(!) you will find from dungeon delving, so only dedicated PvE'rs will use it (as they can no longer buy better stuff off the auction house!). Even then I think you can get stuff from Sharandar that's better, without dungeon delving. So Crafting has no point to it. The only Professions that have some value are Leadership an Alchemy. Plus maybe your own armor profession (just to get some reinforced bracers, but that's a lot of out put for a very small return).

The only way's I see to make crafting relevant is to

(1). Make rare tasks available at ALL times
    (2). Make some equipment sets craft-able that are equivalent to T1 (preferably ti T1.5)
    (3). Make leveling faster for new chars (perhaps like what you do for alchemy)

That would make crafting relevant and actually useful!
  • Options
    skylher12skylher12 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Plus when you get to LVL 60, the gear you can make is worse than anything(!) you will find from dungeon delving, so only dedicated PvE'rs will use it (as they can no longer buy better stuff off the auction house!). Even then I think you can get stuff from Sharandar that's better, without dungeon delving. So Crafting has no point to it. The only Professions that have some value are Leadership an Alchemy. Plus maybe your own armor profession (just to get some reinforced bracers, but that's a lot of out put for a very small return)

Um again the gemmed pants and shirt ARE Best in slot for both pvp and pve, and can only be made from crafters.... so how can you say that crafting has no point? there are many viable ways to increase the use of each profession, but saying it is not useful is just false. instead of flooding the forums with useless posts such as this, why not make a post suggesting different ways to make each profession better.. give ideas as to what each one can create to make not only something to sell on the ah but also make other useful things to be used, however the armor isnt ever going to be better than what you get in the epic dungeons.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Yep in other MMOs you can choose to be a crafter, and even a dedicated one in a given craft. With PW we have to all be the same and do everything ourselves. Carft our weapons ourselves, our armors ourselves, our potions ourselves.
    For mankind, everyone having to be the same (knowing how to build a shelter, how to make clothes, how to hunt, how to catch fish, how to make tools) is a system that diseappeared 20000-30000 years before our era. Then the people strted to regroup and to specialize into what they were good at. One would craft tools, one would make clothes and so on.
    Well, PW brings us backwards.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . Moved this to the General Discussion Forum, as that is a bit more appropriate than the Gameplay, Combat, and PvP forum. At least until the day comes when we have a Professions Forum.

. . . . . On a side note.. I totally agree with the OP. I am beginning to feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of bind on pickup items. This is making me feel as though the economy for trading is being diminished and now is impacting those of us who love to craft as a playstyle on some of our characters. I am a crafter at heart in any MMO I play and am disheartened by the restrictions I am seeing becoming a growing trend.
    Ok yes I might be a bit slow but well playing last night I took notice of the fact that your purple items created in professions are now bound to character on pick up. I don't know about anyone else but myself I find this rather frustrating since I have been building my professions and assets since open beta, thinking of them as a resource for earning AD in the future. Not only have we lost the earning potential, but for us roleplayers professions was one of the few useful tools provided to us to enhance our rp experience, and now we don't even have that anymore.

I fully understand that it was better for the game's economy to disable the resale of purple gear found in dungeons or bought at the Trade of Blades and think the salvager was a great idea, keeping rare gear rare. But professions? Really? With the amount of time and resources needed to create say a set of armor a player should have the option for resale. Currently as things are now I really don't see the worth in any of the professions less Leadership and feel I have been mislead into spending unnecessary zen.

Please Cryptic if you could revisit this area of Neverwinter and find a way to give crafting back value?
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Moved this to the General Discussion Forum, as that is a bit more appropriate than the Gameplay, Combat, and PvP forum. At least until the day comes when we have a Professions Forum.

. . . . . On a side note.. I totally agree with the OP. I am beginning to feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of bind on pickup items. This is making me feel as though the economy for trading is being diminished and now is impacting those of us who love to craft as a playstyle on some of our characters. I am a crafter at heart in any MMO I play and am disheartened by the restrictions I am seeing becoming a growing trend.

I honestly think it is just another nail in the lid to the coffin. I doubt this game will last much longer the way it is going and it had so much potential. Other games like the one I am now mainly playing allow players to craft high level stuff and sell it on the market. The whole bind on pickup mess makes it difficult to earn AD and help out guild members. I use to buy the PVP lvl 60 gear for new lvl 60 guild members to help get them started. Now all it is good for is salvage. It is a shame because this game had so much potential.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Crafting in this game is worthless. Once 60 (can be done in a few days) just jump into MOTH or run Sharandar and blue items drop so often that you can equip your char in no time (or just buy for under 100 AD each). Why even bother with the items you can make in weeks of crafting until you reach 20? Mailsmith has 6 items someone can need for example. The epic chain and scale pants/shirts and the reinforced arm pieces. If you don't throw money into this game to buy purple assets then you won't make gemmed version of pants and shirts anyway. If you do you can craft weeks/months until you have earned the money you put into it.

Other than that there is nothing! No one really needs a crafter in this game.
  • Options
    zenzebzenzeb Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    crafting has been a weak spot since beta.

Play one character that crafts only one professions and you will quickly out level any item you craft and find better items from mob drops.

Twinking adds armor is a waste given the level restrictions/spread of individual armor pieces and the complete lack of full set at any one level. (besides 60) Add in the fact you must use epic tools to get a rank 3 result and the cost of said tools, its a long row to hoe.

Store sale prices of crafted items suck big time.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic has a bad habit of making a content light, restrictive game, and then throttling it madly to try to shake money out of the players.

They really need to learn that you get more with honey.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have been in the process of accumulating the purple quality crafting items needed to make the gemmed pants and shirts. I have lvl 20 crafters in each profession and have been trying to debate if I am better served buying the items off the ah or getting the asset packs... Had plans to drop $50 on them this evening, but after reading this thread, I am questioning if i should invest in this. it is clearly cheaper to simply buy the items for my toons, but I would make the investment to do this for my guildies and the potental to eventally 'make profit' off the ah.

I have sold a fair amount of items on the AH, however, the prices flux dramatically and frequently, and it seems the higher he item, the less likely it will sell.

So from what i am reading this thread went from 'the sky is falling' to 'watch out for that one bird up there'... Should i invest or not is still the question...
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Should i invest or not is still the question...

just make you own calculation:

- prices of purple assets
    - prices of dragon eggs
    - maybe prices for finishing the crafting for ad to be faster
    - count in the chances to fail to do the gemmed versions
    - check on profits to make with gemmed shirts and pants (over some time) in ah
    - count in how often you can craft those items and how long it will take you
    - also count in price drops when one more seller hits the market (you... and others)

--> then decide when you might break even and if that is really worth it
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And dragon eggs don't just drop. Everybody gets ONE in the graveyard. Tymora spread some around but that was over very quickly. The fact is, to make ANY purple gear in this game you have to not only spend zen, you have to spend a LOT of it.. or its AD equivalent, usually well over a million. Purple assets and dragon eggs are only available through the zen market.

Sounds like P2C to me.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    And dragon eggs don't just drop. Everybody gets ONE in the graveyard. Tymora spread some around but that was over very quickly. The fact is, to make ANY purple gear in this game you have to not only spend zen, you have to spend a LOT of it.. or its AD equivalent, usually well over a million. Purple assets and dragon eggs are only available through the zen market.

Sounds like P2C to me.

I didn't get one in Neverdeath. All my eggs are form the Tymora event.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »

Sounds like P2C to me.

Where does this egg drop? if you mean the quest with the professions pack you get at about 25th lvl, that does not guarantee an egg.
  • Options
    dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The problem I believe exists in players using professions to just sit in AH all day selling gear and not playing the game. With everyone complaining about this and that, why would Cryptic be nice and let you become rich with diamonds off normal recipes? Now that said, this would be a good to add VERY RARE recipe drops (that are bop) to make items (that are boe) off trash mobs in dungeons, to get people interested in crafting....(and too have people kill the trash mobs more instead of avoiding them) Rare recipe drops I guess could drop anywhere I suppose though.

Of course you would need to have that profession in the first place to get the recipe to drop I guess. Another alternative would be to drop insignias or something that are rare to save up, then purchasing the recipes off of a vendor.

Just an idea to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

What Cryptic could do with this idea? Sell "Lucky rabbits foot or other good luck charms" for 1000 zen ( or that drop from lock boxes very rarely) each that improve the drop rates of these items by .1 %. LOL. cha ching!