test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Celestial Coin reset - Is it necessary?

Comments

• goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Anybody know if during server merge we'll lose all our coins like when they rolled back for ah/caturday? Hope not because I have like 150 ardent coins and will cry if I lost them again.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Anybody know if during server merge we'll lose all our coins like when they rolled back for ah/caturday? Hope not because I have like 150 ardent coins and will cry if I lost them again.

in THEORY, you shouldn't lose coins (since they are bind to you) usually in most server merges (been a few in many games) that the NAME and GUILD NAME are usually the one that get "lost" (i.e. who keep what or who log in first and keep it)

I like the way DCUO did it with putting your server name_your name format :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    in THEORY, you shouldn't lose coins (since they are bind to you) usually in most server merges (been a few in many games) that the NAME and GUILD NAME are usually the one that get "lost" (i.e. who keep what or who log in first and keep it)

I like the way DCUO did it with putting your server name_your name format :)

Guild names and character names won't be lost here though. Character names aren't unique and Guild names are already unique across the shards.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    agreed, it is the most epic fail mechanic in any video game in history.

at least make it 2 days. or 3. or 1 week. I can see kinda enticing players to log in once a week.. but 24 hrs? EPIC FAIL
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    walk2k wrote: »

at least make it 2 days. or 3. or 1 week. I can see kinda enticing players to log in once a week.. but 24 hrs? EPIC FAIL

The only epic thing here is your failure to understand why this is a good way to make players log in every day. Even players that are not active otherwise will take some time to log in for Invocation because the prize is something that it's worth it. If they wouldn't take away all your coins, you wouldn't feel compelled to log in everyday. And, because you are logged in, you might stay a bit longer and run a Dungeon or do a Foundry quest or a PvP match. They are dangling a very valuable prize in front of you to keep you active. I would call that a smart idea, not an epic fail.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »
    The only epic thing here is your failure to understand why this is a good way to make players log in every day.

Tell me the "good" thing about it for Cryptic when a player logs in 2 minutes per day to invoke and logs of rightaway afterwards. He is not actively contributing to the game, he doesn't fill queues so other players have more players to play with (or have the feeling that the game is crowded), he won't buy anything in the two minutes and most of the time he is just an invoking/leadership twink anyway... basically he is just a cost factor (server costs).

So this "Everyone can log in 2 minutes a day" is just plain stupid and also wrong. I was on business travel 2 times lately and I COULD NOT LOG in because on my business laptop there is no Neverwinter installed and via Mobile you can't invoke. Maybe the 15 year old school kids should start to realize that there are working people out there that often have a family, kids and on some days it is just not possbible to log into a game. Just get a life guys, really!
    edited October 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    Tell me the "good" thing about it for Cryptic when a player logs in 2 minutes per day to invoke and logs of rightaway afterwards. He is not actively contributing to the game, he doesn't fill queues so other players have more players to play with (or have the feeling that the game is crowded), he won't buy anything in the two minutes and most of the time he is just an invoking/leadership twink anyway... basically he is just a cost factor (server costs).

So this "Everyone can log in 2 minutes a day" is just plain stupid and also wrong. I was on business travel 2 times lately and I COULD NOT LOG in because on my business laptop there is no Neverwinter installed and via Mobile you can't invoke. Maybe the 15 year old school kids should start to realize that there are working people out there that often have a family, kids and on some days it is just not possbible to log into a game. Just get a life guys, really!

Well, if you log in to pray, you might stay a bit more and do other activities, but if you don't log in at all you won't do any activities for sure. Taking away your coins is a way to make you feel pressured to log in, but the intent is not for you to just log in and pray and get out, it's to get you to eventually play the game. Even if you don't play now you will play later cause that's why you are gathering coins. Like it or not, this system is the way it is for a reason and I think it serves that reason well enough.
    By the way, I am a 31 years old working man and I have lost the Celestial Coins on all my characters on multiple occasions. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but I do realize and accept that not everything revolves around me and sometimes I have to chose.
    When you come and ask for changes to the game so that it accommodates your schedule, you come off like a spoiled brat, not an adult. You do realize that you are crying over some pixels, that you will, in fact, get back in a week?

I wish you better luck in the future.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013

"you keep using that word. i don't think it means what you think it means." - inigo montoya - the princess bride
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited October 2013

You mean a proven and tested idea in many F2P games both with downloadable clients and browser based is EPIC FAIL?

I can name 4 other F2P games with this system off the top of my head (Pockie Pirates, Pockie Saints, Scarlet Blade and Digimon Masters Online) and I'm sure that there are countless others out there.

As others have said, the idea is to get you to login at least once a day per level 11+ character, it's like a store advertising promotions just by the counter inside the door, once you're inside you're more likely to play/purchase more than if they rely on you entering/logging in of your own accord.

It's why the store that runs my gaming club has you go through nearly the entire store before you get to the gaming room, because they might catch your eye and get a sale.

It's the same reason why AD is limited per day, why Foundry missions only offer X XP per day, to encourage you to come back tomorrow and play more.
  • silvanos76silvanos76 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Im fine with the way the system works as is, but 1 thing...

Say you get your coin at 5pm on day 1, now you cant get day 2's coin till 5pm the next day.
    Now say something comes up and you cant invoke till day 3 but can log in in the morning of day 2. well yes it extends it till the next day but now your behind a day on coins. i wish they would just set the coin timer like the daily timers were the coin resets at 12 midnight or 3am or something like that. just saying.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    silvanos76 wrote: »
    Im fine with the way the system works as is, but 1 thing...

Say you get your coin at 5pm on day 1, now you cant get day 2's coin till 5pm the next day.
    Now say something comes up and you cant invoke till day 3 but can log in in the morning of day 2. well yes it extends it till the next day but now your behind a day on coins. i wish they would just set the coin timer like the daily timers were the coin resets at 12 midnight or 3am or something like that. just saying.

Minor correction, it is a 20 hour reset time on getting new coins, not 24.
  • silvanos76silvanos76 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lol never really timed it. but you get the idea though.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Also any invoke you do in between resets the timer btw. So if I invoke at 8 AM and get my coin, then I log on later in the day and invoke again at 5 PM even though I don't receive another coin yet I have reset the 29 hour window that I have to invoke again from 5 PM, so now I have until 9 PM the next day before my coins reset. It's as simple as finding 2 minutes to invoke before you go to sleep and then finding 2 minutes somewhere in the day to invoke to prolong your timer, then no matter what happens you won't lose them.

If you can't spare 2 minutes twice per day then you are probably working 80+ hours per week and you can afford to just buy some zen for your enchants anyway =P
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • valeriob80valeriob80 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The problem are not those 2 mins/day, the problem is sometimes (often in some works or in holidays/weekends) you leave your home for 1-2 days per week and CAN'T login not having your pc. Since the change asked by the opener would't harm anyone, just make people with this problem happy, why not to introduce it?
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    it's like a store advertising promotions just by the counter inside the door, once you're inside you're more likely to play/purchase more than if they rely on you entering/logging in of your own accord.

So basically what you say is that my stamp cards for the coffee shop, restaurants or whatever should be invalid when I don't come the next day to collect another stamp and my free coffee after 10 paid ones should be lost?

And explain to me again: Why would you - who logs in daily to get the reward - be treated worse when the coins would not vanish for others that don't log in. Explain to me please what problems YOU would have if such a feature would be included. I can't see ANY negative effects for you. You still log in daily, you still have 7 coins after 7 days. Not a thing would change for you. So basically you like it that others lose their coins, is it that? I don't get it.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    So basically what you say is that my stamp cards for the coffee shop, restaurants or whatever should be invalid when I don't come the next day to collect another stamp and my free coffee after 10 paid ones should be lost?

And explain me again: Why would you - who logs in daily to get the reward - be treated worse when the coins would not vanish for others that don't log in. Explain me please what problems YOU would have if such a feature would be included. I can't see ANY negative effects for you. You still log in daily, you still have 7 coins after 7 days. Not a thing would change for you. So basically you like it that others lose their coins, is it that? I don't get it.

The system is in place to make you log in daily to the game and entice you to play more. It is not going to be changed because it is a proven marketing tactic. Even people upset with the game continue logging in daily to get their celestials, and once in a while they are persuaded to do more and even start playing again.

It makes perfect business sense, once you realize it isn't 100% about the F2P user's interests you will see why it works the way it does.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited October 2013

If those systems had been introduced with a timer mechanism built in, from the get-go? Then sure.

But those cards don't work that way.... they work like the Ardent coins, which just build up whenever you have the chance.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Some stores do have loyalty mechanics that expire. Like you're a VIP customer if you spend X dollars in a year, but only for that year. I've even seen stamp cards that do require you to redeem them within a certain time period after starting the card, though some merchants using that system will transfer points to a new card at their discretion.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Jeez guys, work stops me, travel stops me......etc The reason these prevent you logging in is because they are more important. You really shouldn't be fussing about a few virtual coins that would probably net you a 3k ward anyway when by your own admission you have more important stuff to do.

Here's an idea, if after such activity some of you have a bit more disposable income then go treat yourself to a Coalescent ward from the AH. It'll feel a lot better that than the 3k ward you would probably have received.

PS. Guess I better shelve the idea to request extending the rewards to 30 coins for some other minor stuff. ;)
    edited October 2013

And explain to me again: Why would you - who logs in daily to get the reward - be treated worse when the coins would not vanish for others that don't log in. Explain to me please what problems YOU would have if such a feature would be included. I can't see ANY negative effects for you. You still log in daily, you still have 7 coins after 7 days. Not a thing would change for you. So basically you like it that others lose their coins, is it that? I don't get it.

It seems like you don't understand something. We are just explaining what the purpose of the system is and why they won't change this system. Nobody said it would be bad idea to have it the way you like want it.
    We are all subjected to these conditions and sooner or later we are all going to lose Celestial Coins. Nobody gains anything and it doesn't make anyone happy if you lose your Coins. I have lost Celestial Coins on all four characters three times in the past and I am likely to lose them again in the future.
    Try to understand please - the main purpose of this system is not to reward you, but to make you stick with the game and for that purpose it does it's job very well. Bottom line is - you can accept it or not, but it's not likely to change.
    edited October 2013

I'm not saying that, I'm also not saying I 100% support the system at all.

What I am saying is that this is a tried and tested method of marketing, newspapers where I'm from do it all the time, "1 week only, collect 5 of the 6 tickets printed and get a prize!" Whilst it does have a little more leeway (and is also slightly more unforgiving at the same time) it is the exact same principle.
  • lorelian1lorelian1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the main reason for requiring a daily log in is that it is hoped you'll stick around for a bit and realize that you need to buy some zen because you're out of keys etc. etc.
    edited October 2013
    lorelian1 wrote: »
    I think the main reason for requiring a daily log in is that it is hoped you'll stick around for a bit and realize that you need to buy some zen because you're out of keys etc. etc.

Believe it or not, whilst the eventual hope is that you'll buy Zen, the actual purpose of getting you to stick around is so that there are more people on which will encourage others to stay on longer and eventually someone will drop Zen.

Believe it or not the game is expected to run on an average income of $X per X player hours. And the ratio is a lot higher than people assume (Being generous I'd say they expect about 15% of players to spend money on the game on a regular basis more than likely less than that.)
  • amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    I honestly don't get why people still play this game, the devs couldn't really care less for anything that's not cash money.
    --->Warning, the following contains a large amount of opinion!<---

For the same reason people read awful literature such as Twilight. They enjoy it. Simple as that. I do not understand why they like it, and I really have no right to question them for it.

---> Opinionated nonsense complete. <---

I have no issue with the current system on the coins. But that is due to how I see it. Imagine if schools or places of work rewarded you for each week you actually showed up for work. But if you miss a day during that week the counter is re-set and you have to start from 0 again. There would be no point to such a reward system if you could miss a day or two and come back to finish the set. As I said, that is just how I view the whole system.

I would not argue if they were to (for some reason) change the coins to not vanish after about 24 hours. But I am not of the mind set to want to actively get it changed.
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree a silly mechanic to ensure your addiction to the game and raise the chance you will pay for items. Clear as day to me.
  • zohar101zohar101 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I find it a bit silly as well. People have jobs and obligations and some days of the week you just have no time to sit at the computer and do anything for yourself. To penalize you permanently for that because your schedule is not simply going to suddenly lighten up is not fair to those who have lives outside the game.
    That being said I can't say I'm terribly torn up over it. I don't care about the game enough for that to be an issue. I don't think I'd even post if it wasn't server downtime and my day off.
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amorra wrote: »

For the same reason people read awful literature such as Twilight. They enjoy it. Simple as that. I do not understand why they like it, and I really have no right to question them for it.

Hey Hey, we don't talk bad about Twilight. Kthanx:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013

using your stampcard example.
    There ARE places where stampcard DOES have an expiration (back in the day gift card use to expire but that was bad mojo)
    So if you have 3 stamps and the card expire after 6 months and you don't use it or get more stamps (i.e. need 10 stamps to get a free item) then you WILL LOSE IT. There is a small print that you have to read if they expire or not.

The Celestrial coin is the same thing. There is an expiration date. There is a small prize for it. The ardent coin does NOT expire (like other Stampcard that don't expire) those you get to keep forever until redeemed.

The problem is that you are not understanding WHY the two system is in place. One system (ardent coin) is design for casual gamer to get cool item for days they log in and invoke (i.e. at pet after 300 day invoke which can take 300 days or 600 days doesn't matter)

but there is a small BONUS prize if you invoke everyday for 3,5,7 days (different package) these are minor prizes (well the ward is nice but that is even more random)

Is it a perfect system? probably not, but you have to keep in mind that the devs are trying to cater to all types of players.
    edited October 2013
    zohar101 wrote: »
    I find it a bit silly as well. People have jobs and obligations and some days of the week you just have no time to sit at the computer and do anything for yourself. To penalize you permanently for that because your schedule is not simply going to suddenly lighten up is not fair to those who have lives outside the game.
    That being said I can't say I'm terribly torn up over it. I don't care about the game enough for that to be an issue. I don't think I'd even post if it wasn't server downtime and my day off.
    but there is a group of people who DOES have that much time. The thing is that the devs need to find a way to cater ALL players (or at least as much as they can)

NW need daily players to earn a lot of AD and farm items to put into market.
    NW need casual players with money to buy Zen to get AD and buy items
    NW need hybrid players who does BOTH and invest/buy/sell on the market.

The thing is that the actual "act" doesn't even take that long. (3-5 minutes. 10 minutes if you are running hamsters in your computer)
  • neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2013
    I get why the mechanic is in place, and really have no complasints with it.

But, that said, it strikes me as curious that the non-penalty for not logging on (loss of all coins) is actually more hurtful to the people who have been doing waht you ask them to do. In other words, since all coins are lost for missing a single day, the person who has been logging in dutifully for the prior six days has a high loss compared to the person who might log in a day here and there, maybe two in a row, and then skip a day. Something seems off about that.