What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Grimah's Comprehensive Wizard guide

Comments

• Options
    zeddbvzeddbv Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So should i go with the Thaumaturge build and if so what kind of stats do my armor's and weapon's need and what stats should i roll and excel in?
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    if you like the look of thaum build by all means go for it. basically the "two" specs renegade and thaum boil down to.

nightmare wizardry debuff vs assailing force, as they both apply to multiple targets, nightmare will give you more bang for your buck more random. the problem with thaum is you are locked into using conduit to get the most out of it.

I would suggest high vizier for any spec. as it will give you a debuff that will increase damage by a large proportion and stack with other wizards using it so you will never be at a loss. PvP set is good to start with as it is the easiest to obtain, with good starting stats, enough to give you GS high enough to do T2s.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    zeddbv wrote: »
    So should i go with the Thaumaturge build and if so what kind of stats do my armor's and weapon's need and what stats should i roll and excel in?

Try this: A Thaumaturge Build for Fury of the Feywild

Modify to your heart's content.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Grimah, I reported your thread for a sticky.

I encourage every one to click on the small exclamation point at the bottom left of the original post of this thread and request that it be stickied!

Edit: I see that this guide is linked in the sticky of this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So what stats are the most important (Armor wise) for this kind of build (((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role) and how should I roll the character and how much of each stat should i have at the end (INT/CHA/WIS/anything that might help)?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zeddbv wrote: »
    So what stats are the most important (Armor wise) for this kind of build (((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role) and how should I roll the character and how much of each stat should i have at the end (INT/CHA/WIS/anything that might help)?

In that build you will want to view the thread for it and ask.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes maybe you should ask copticone, in his build he prefers lifesteal over defense. It is understandable because using icy terrain puts you in harms way, and having 1000ish lifesteal will give you an edge rather than having your hp drop so fast your regeneration cannot compensate.

Max your Int, and the other two are your personal preference, CHA if you want to maximise your damage, Wisdom if you want to make things a bit easier for yourself.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    Yes maybe you should ask copticone, in his build he prefers lifesteal over defense. It is understandable because using icy terrain puts you in harms way, and having 1000ish lifesteal will give you an edge rather than having your hp drop so fast your regeneration cannot compensate.

Max your Int, and the other two are your personal preference, CHA if you want to maximise your damage, Wisdom if you want to make things a bit easier for yourself.

Regarding the rotations you provided us with do you have a power/feats build and a opinion on a Ability score and armor/weapon's stats?

I mean copticones build seems interesting and all but you give more details on the rotation and i really like the way you described "Thaumaturge", I'd really like to be on the safe side of things but at the same time I'd like to fill all the roles you described for the CW.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For ability scores, its hard to say depending on your race starting stats, to be safe. go for as much INT and Cha. wisdom can be configured by adding them during your leveling/respec if you really feel the need to have it. crit is difficult to cap, INT gives nice set of everything, wisdom is also good, but no directly converted to damage my finishing stats is 26 int, 15 wis, 21 char. or something along those lines (off the top of my head). Just max your int and char if you want maximum damage.

As for build I would go something like this (if you want to use chilling presence as a class feature http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=l8v:4yq7w:b8j7,1fh0i50:6u000:b50uv:b0000&h=0

or

http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=l8v:4yq7w:b8j7,1fh0i50:60000:b50uv:b5000&h=0
    If you want to use eye of the storm as your main class feature.

At-will: chilling cloud, storm pillar (use storm pillar every 5 seconds at half charge)
    mastery: conduit (place on high hp target)
    encounters: icy terrain (teleport out after you used this, dont risk using steal time to keep you alive whilst in the fray), sudden storm (or shard if you need CC), steal time
    dailies: oppressive force, ice knife.
    Features: chilling presence, storm spell.

Or if you find yourself getting hurt too much:

At-will: chilling cloud, storm pillar
    mastery: Conduit
    encounters: shard of avalanche, sudden storm, steal time

If you really need AP fast and CC for certain boss add controlling duties.

At-wills: Chilling cloud, Storm pillar.
    Mastery: entangling force (generate AP quickly)
    Encounters: conduit (for debuff and damage), shard (cc be wary to use it during singularity, if you have used singularity keep it in position before you push it), steal time (cc in between dailies naturally.).
    Features: eye of the storm (you wont be applying chills fast enough to make use of chilling presence), storm spell.
    Dailies: oppressive force, singularity.

single target, same as the build i posted in the thread.

Note: if you do go eye of the storm route, you will not have to rely heavily on icy terrain + conduit on mastery, giving you freedom to use chill strike on mastery, and change out icy terrain for another spell. You will also be getting benefits from assailing force and nightmare wizardry (combat advantage)

The choice is up to you, Hope this helps.

Edit: as for armor stats, i think its been covered before, go for 3k recovery > 2000ish arp> 1000 defense> 2-3k crit. If you are leveling up. That is just the guidelines for when you start.

my final stats with high vizier (including 2 of the new feywild boons): 4500 power, 2900 crit, 2300 arp, 3200 recovery, 1300? defense. but im using rank 8 enchants. start off with rank 5s, fill those criteria's with rank 7s, As you may notice i didnt put power into the equation, this is because you will have a hard time squeezing out the other stats before you think about getting power (which is on every item pretty much.) But as i said before, dont worry too much about stats, what is more important is going for your T2/ancient weapons before you start fine tuning things.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For ability scores, its hard to say depending on your race starting stats, to be safe. go for as much INT and Cha. wisdom can be configured by adding them during your leveling/respec if you really feel the need to have it. crit is difficult to cap, INT gives nice set of everything, wisdom is also good, but no directly converted to damage my finishing stats is 26 int, 15 wis, 21 char. or something along those lines (off the top of my head). Just max your int and char if you want maximum damage.

As for build I would go something like this (if you want to use chilling presence as a class feature http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=l8v:4yq7w:b8j7,1fh0i50:6u000:b50uv:b0000&h=0

or

http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=l8v:4yq7w:b8j7,1fh0i50:60000:b50uv:b5000&h=0
    If you want to use eye of the storm as your main class feature.

At-will: chilling cloud, storm pillar (use storm pillar every 5 seconds at half charge)
    mastery: conduit (place on high hp target)
    encounters: icy terrain (teleport out after you used this, dont risk using steal time to keep you alive whilst in the fray), sudden storm (or shard if you need CC), steal time

Or if you find yourself getting hurt too much:

At-will: chilling cloud, storm pillar
    mastery: Conduit
    encounters: shard of avalanche, sudden storm, steal time

If you really need AP fast and CC for certain boss add controlling duties.

At-wills: Chilling cloud, Storm pillar.
    Mastery: entangling force (generate AP quickly)
    Encounters: conduit (for debuff and damage), shard (cc be wary to use it during singularity, if you have used singularity keep it in position before you push it), steal time (cc in between dailies naturally.).
    Features: eye of the storm (you wont be applying chills fast enough to make use of chilling presence), storm spell.
    Dailies: oppressive force, singularity.

single target, same as the build i posted in the thread.

Note: if you do go eye of the storm route, you will not have to rely heavily on icy terrain + conduit on mastery, giving you freedom to use chill strike on mastery, and change out icy terrain for another spell. You will also be getting benefits from assailing force and nightmare wizardry (combat advantage)

The choice is up to you, Hope this helps.

Thank you so much one last question and im really sorry for being annoying but which of those 2 would you recommend for the Spell Builds section in your guide.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I made a quick edit to my previous post, because i forgot to answer some of yoru questions.

As for the spell builds section, those are examples. they will change depending on your spec, suitation and party composition/experience.

You cannot always go full damage in a group, it many cases (depending on comp/experience, you will be hindering your team rather than helping). Spells can be swapped out without having to respec :P so play around with them, and see what you think is best, The main points are:

1. conduit gives 15% mitigation debuff
    2. conduit mastery gives chills per tick.
    3. chilling presence requires chill stacks on the target to get the most out of it (which is why icy terrain is used often has no target limit also).
    4. entangling force on mastery will generate you the most AP for an encounter
    5. steal time, oppressive force and shard of avalanche will give you the most immediate/reliable form of aoe CC (steal time kinda immediate).
    6. sudden storm will give you the high aoe damage per second

oh also, remember you may have to bump in groups (read the bump section). so you will also have to switch out spells for those scenarios e.g.Spellplague. Reason why (until only recently) i havent posted a build, is because It is not a good idea for wizards to be pigeon holed into 1 set of spells!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    quick add... Going the eye of the storm route will give you alot of freedom, both are viable however. And single target use

At-will: Magic Missile or Chilling Cloud (if using chilling presence)
    Mastery: Ice Rays (Does alot of damage when uses on mastery, more than most, with debuffs and buffs ive seen this hit for 40k+)
    Encounter 1: Ray of enfeeblement
    (High damage, mitigation debuff)
    Encounter 2: Conduit of Ice
    (High damage total, and also a mitigation debuff if thaum specced)
    Encounter 3: Chill strike
    (High damage, applyies 2x high vizier set debuff if worn)
    Daily 1: Ice knife
    (Single target damage daily, use it after apply any debuffs you have)
    Daily 2: Arcane Singularity
    (incase you need it)
    Class Feature 1: Eye of the storm
    (crits! yes) or Chilling presence (18% more damage!).
    Class Feature 2: Storm Spell
    (10% for 1700 damage at level 60)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you so much >:D< and sorry for annoying you with so many questions :)
  • Options
    steelemagnoliasteelemagnolia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for the amazing guide. I'm going to bookmark it for reference, and read it again (and possibly yet again) because there is so much information to absorb.

I apologize if this has been asked before and I missed it, but is there a way to rebind the double tap to be a single tap of another key? I have nerve damage in my hands and can't hit a key twice in rapid succession fast enough to teleport reliably. I really enjoy the wizard, but can't really benefit from its movement ability.

PS: What a wonderful wizard name!
  • Options
    kbantarkbantar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To steelemagnolia- If you can; hit shift while keeping W pressed. (assuming default keybinds) This is another way to port without having to double tap. You just need to keep an eye on where you are aiming.

BTW grimah, I absolutely love your guide. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thanks for the support! Also i would like to apologise to anyone who has read this guide after the feywild patch.

I have done some more revision and noticed some glaringly bad advise for the new changes, as more viable options have come into play.

Im looking to add barkshield to the armor enchants, however i need to find the correct values for the greater version (i will plan to get this when i have enough ADs) though i know it is far from perfect but for me, if im taking more than 3 hits before i get out of danger im doing something wrong or just being plain lazy!
  • Options
    steelemagnoliasteelemagnolia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    kbantar wrote: »
    To steelemagnolia- If you can; hit shift while keeping W pressed. (assuming default keybinds) This is another way to port without having to double tap. You just need to keep an eye on where you are aiming.

BTW grimah, I absolutely love your guide. :D

Thank you so much, I will try that. It will be easier than double tap.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Made a bit overhaul, added contents for easier navigation and to see if theres anything you need without going through the block of text (This guide just got too big!) Cut out some things that didnt seem to be relevant/or mentioned in more relevant places. and moved some sections to parts where it would make more sense.

If theres anything else people would like to request feel free to ask, or if i have errors/untruths!
  • Options
    cust0mxcust0mx Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tempest Magic: When your target is below 30% maximum hit points, you deal 2/4/6/8/10% extra damage.
    Useful during boss fights, when you must dish out some damage before the end. With the amount of hitpoints bosses tend to have, it can be a useful feat. This will also override tiefling racial, if you are a tiefling this will give 5% more damage rather than the +10%

Can some please PLEASE tell me if its true that it doesnt stack with tiefling bonus? i've seen both "its a myth" thing and what you said...
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Tiefling bonus with tempest magic works between 50% and 30%.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    cust0mx wrote: »
    Can some please PLEASE tell me if its true that it doesnt stack with tiefling bonus? i've seen both "its a myth" thing and what you said...

Perhaps i worded it badly, what it does is it does not take effect ontop of the tiefling racial, but instead it replaces it (when below 30%). in other words they do not stack, but both work within their parameters.
  • Options
    ziuusziuus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Grimah and others for the great CW information. My confused days are over but not my frustration(Game Bugs). Now I know why my Damage dealt is so inconsistent.

Thank You all for the time you put into these post and making other players of the Library community better. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Im back, the ban must have been that sharing quest fiasco. Anyways. I just wanted to post that i wont be playing much at all. Struggling to find the willpower to even grab the dailies at the moment. But i will correct and keep watch of this thread for any questions (regarding the guide).

Also because i wont be on much these days If you have questions on certain builds and such, there are plenty other wizards about who will be happy to answer your questions, I will leave this guide as reference/information.
  • Options
    bropinebropine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Im back, the ban must have been that sharing quest fiasco. Anyways. I just wanted to post that i wont be playing much at all. Struggling to find the willpower to even grab the dailies at the moment. But i will correct and keep watch of this thread for any questions (regarding the guide).

Also because i wont be on much these days If you have questions on certain builds and such, there are plenty other wizards about who will be happy to answer your questions, I will leave this guide as reference/information.

Wait. You got banned from the game? Since when and for how long?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    was for a week, for sharing a quest. that supposed to be weekly. im back now, but mostly playing a GF. most of my guild has gone inactive, since none of us want to do CN/MC (me included).

I'll try to keep this up to date, but so far there hasnt been many changes (since feywild.)
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nice to have you back grimah. I've certainly appreciated all the work you've done.
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    U just answered every question i had.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Disagree with your comment about oppressor. It does provide something useful for a party: optimal control abilities. This is the control tree.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The reason it is overlooked is because it does not provide any party friendly damage buffs/debuffs.

You mean this comment?
  • Options
    exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    You could get slightly better control effects at the cost of 1/3 of your personal DPS and the lack of group buffs. Seems legit.