Install Arc
Options

Grimah's Comprehensive Wizard guide

Comments

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    much appreciated!
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    your guide is just top notch :D
    big thumbs up, like the levelling section (that's new, too, right?)
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Hi Grimah,

if I may make some amends... Possible errors coloured in red by me.
    grimah wrote: »
    [...]
    However the pet bonus is also useful for all wizards (only applies to pet's base stats), and critical chance. You cannot go with with either three stats, for a wizard's duties.
    Did you mean "You cannot go wrong with either three..."?

[...]
    Despite what you read in the tooltip, EVERY encounter has its place in PvE, you may thing repel is stupid when you first get it, because it pushes everything away. But then you get to certain places where pushign groups of 5 to their deaths is very useful!
    [...]
    The hardest time for you to decide which points to put in, is when you are given the choice of arcane presence and chilling presence. To be safe i would only put in 1 point in chilling presence, if you want that extra feature to be used whilst leveling (cannot wait till higher level) put only 1 point into arcane presence.
    I know what I would do, but I do still have problems understanding this paragraph. Maybe it is related to me not being a native English speaker :(

Everything else in the New Player section is, as usual, very comprehensive, thorough and well written!

[...]
    Arcane Stacks
    Now many new wizards and some old wizards will forget about this, each stack will give you a 3% arcane damage increase per stack. This stacks up to 5 times. These will effect of most of your arcane spells. And provide important and in some scenarios the stacks of your arcane will effect the success of task. For example with max stacks you can afford to cast your shield to regain alot of AP then use your daily and have your shield back off cooldown.
    Is that still true, or did the sentence survive the update after the shield nerv? Especially now, as Shield can only hit five targets.

That's it so far. Hope my comments are appreciated. I'll continue reading the guide in the next couple of day.
    Regards,
    Urbs
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    thanks, i didn't proof read the text. I have made amends. some info i overlooked when i was editing to keep up to date.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What's the deal with maelstorm in MC? I've seen people talking about but I really don't want to put points into a spell for 1 fight in the game
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What's the deal with maelstorm in MC? I've seen people talking about but I really don't want to put points into a spell for 1 fight in the game

It is a Stun that like some other Powers on other classes can affect, often interrupting, bosses as well as break you out of CC. So, you can use it at endboss of Malabog Castle to break players out of Valindra's choke as well as break yourself out. No other Power in the game can break you out of CC except GWF's Unstoppable and TR's Impossible to Catch (neither of which works with Valindra).

The first tick of GWF's Slam daily also does a similar thing on Valindra except it can only break out other players.

MoC will also push CC-able enemies away from you to where you cast it, making them Prone, plus make you CC immune and take very little damage. I am unsure of what damage reduction this is but it could be all attacks are Deflected, from what little I can tell.

It is a highly underrated Power and well worth at least one point in a CW build, imo, though by no means required for any content, including Valindra in MC (who has low health).
  • Options
    magemyronmagemyron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    MoC will also push CC-able enemies away from you to where you cast it, making them Prone, plus make you CC immune and take very little damage. I am unsure of what damage reduction this is but it could be all attacks are Deflected, from what little I can tell.

It is a highly underrated Power and well worth at least one point in a CW build, imo, though by no means required for any content, including Valindra in MC (who has low health).

And it also ignores any damage reduction on the targets, dealing full damage (as if ArPen ignored all of the opponent's defense for one single hit). It's a pretty good power if used well.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    yes it has it's uses, but I wont be recommending it to anyone just to cheese malabog end boss.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yes it has it's uses, but I wont be recommending it to anyone just to cheese malabog end boss.

Was replying to a question not making any suggestions for your "comprehensive" guide. And, of course, the Power and all its details were clearly designed with Valindra specifically in mind and nothing else...
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    [...] And, of course, the Power and all its details were clearly designed with Valindra specifically in mind and nothing else...
    Absolutely true, which is also backed up by that, that there is only one other class with one other spell, that can do the same.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some data in the AP Gains section could be updated.

I just tested SotEA (regular), and found that the amount it generates is actually higher. And the amount Entangling Force generates has been changed after module 2.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    entangling and chill strike gains increased slightly (not much).

You are correct about SotEA, It gives 10%, Either it was changed or i was doing something wrong in my prior tests.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    update
    - companion section
    - weapon sets
    - armor sets
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Awesome job as always. Caught some typoes...check the T2.5 set bonuses. Again thank you for all that you contribute!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hello Grimah,

thank you for the update, as usual. There is a typo in the section about the weapon sets: The fragments for the Fomorian Fabled set, drop from the second boss in Malabog's Castle and not the first.

Regards,
    Urbs
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nice work, as allways.

Some typos:
    Ioun Stone is 2000 zen (not 2500)
    Fabled Iliyanbruen Set now has 3 charges before cooldown, did not try it, maybe now is not 100% useless
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Nice work, as allways.

Some typos:
    Ioun Stone is 2000 zen (not 2500)
    Fabled Iliyanbruen Set now has 3 charges before cooldown, did not try it, maybe now is not 100% useless

Thanks ill make amendments. didnt really look up when i was writing some of this stuff (was working off my memory)

I will keep making adjustments as per recommendations.
  • Options
    dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    probably the best class guide in the forum :)
    good to read all that stuff about companions, now i know better what to get for active bonuses. once i become rich. :D
    [though i have to make a hard decision soon and that's about spending AD. i save them for an ioun stone, and i'm still missing quite some, but .... i'm tempted to buy an apparatus of kwalish - purple mount for a mere 500k AD in the AH.... hard to miss on that chance. on the other hand, i didn't pay attention to the costs of purple lockbox mounts earlier... not convinced by the appearance of the apparatus :)]
  • Options
    xgesarxxgesarx Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Congratulations, great thread grimah: a beautiful guide.
    Following your advice, I started to build a control wizard Master of the Flame, obviously with the little information available.
    Meanwhile, I focused on the renegade branch, to maximize the critical damage (I used a existing crit renegade build).
    I do not know if you've already tried a few spells of 'Master of the Flame', but I have to say that I do not like some sound effects, like the 'sudden flame', which I found boring, annoying and noisy.
    Regarding the construction of the feats, with the statistics that You posted, I tried to change some things, to get the Twisting Immolation in Oppressor, Drifting Embers in Thaumaturge, Arcane Burst in Renegade. All this is to maximize the damages of the Master of the Flame build.
    Any advice?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some people say that you learn from your mistakes: I make so many mistakes every day that surely I will learn soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    xgesarx wrote: »
    Congratulations, great thread grimah: a beautiful guide.
    Following your advice, I started to build a control wizard Master of the Flame, obviously with the little information available.
    Meanwhile, I focused on the renegade branch, to maximize the critical damage (I used a existing crit renegade build).
    I do not know if you've already tried a few spells of 'Master of the Flame', but I have to say that I do not like some sound effects, like the 'sudden flame', which I found boring, annoying and noisy.
    Regarding the construction of the feats, with the statistics that You posted, I tried to change some things, to get the Twisting Immolation in Oppressor, Drifting Embers in Thaumaturge, Arcane Burst in Renegade. All this is to maximize the damages of the Master of the Flame build.
    Any advice?

I think all 3 of those paragon feats are bad, twisting immolation is probably the only what that is useful in my opinion if you decide to use furious immolation alot.

Also there is this from the recent patch notes:

-Master of Flame: Combustive Action Class Feature now correctly states you gain AP when one of your Smoldering targets is killed.

I have not tested this myself so i do not know how useful it is, but its worth taking a look at.
  • Options
    xgesarxxgesarx Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I suppose that the following could be one of the best lines:
    OPPRESSOR - no feats
    THAUMATURGE - Bitter Cold - Malevolent Surge
    RENEGADE - Critical Power - Nightmare Wizardry - Phantasmal Destruction - Masterful Arcane Theft - Chaos Magic

Could be maximize a lot of Crit Damage.
    To be honest, I would try to make a constant damage, not random as in fact it has become increasing Critical stat.
    Obviously I'm maximizing Power> Crit> Armor Pen> Recovery in that order, with the objective of maintaining Recovery around 3000 at the top lvl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some people say that you learn from your mistakes: I make so many mistakes every day that surely I will learn soon!
  • Options
    urthedarurthedar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm curious, why mods do not stick this topic? It contains a lot of usefull informations about CW class...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It is sticked, more or less. As it is already listed in the sticky [Community] Class Guides, Builds, and Resources post
  • Options
    sharpfangjr#5006 sharpfangjr Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What sort of load out would be good for when I'm on CC duty?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    depends on where you are.
  • Options
    vivicectorvivicector Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A great guide!

However, I would like to know whether all the information is relevant and up to date. I have just started playing, now hit lvl 30, where the serious decisions are done. Read a lot of different guides and posts. As I understood, a lot of things were changed in patches. So, could anybody answer my questions:

1) Whether the crit-based renegade path is still valuable? Or should I better go Thaumaturge now?
    2) What are the most useful spells when in the party? What do people use to clean those lvl 60 dungeons? Solo play is quite different from it. I have heard the Steal Time spell is loved very much.
    3) I have read, that Master of Flame was loosing heavily to Spellstorm in terms of DPS. Is it still so? Is it viable?
    4) I see, that Eye of the Storm was heavily nerfed since the original post (15 -> 9% and -33% duration). Is it still a reasonable choice after that? I believe, I will need more crit stat then before, if I will try to go a crit-based renegade.

Well... I am only starting to play, so i will gladly listen to any other information about the changes and current balance state.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    vivicector wrote: »
    A great guide!

However, I would like to know whether all the information is relevant and up to date. I have just started playing, now hit lvl 30, where the serious decisions are done. Read a lot of different guides and posts. As I understood, a lot of things were changed in patches. So, could anybody answer my questions:

1) Whether the crit-based renegade path is still valuable? Or should I better go Thaumaturge now?
    2) What are the most useful spells when in the party? What do people use to clean those lvl 60 dungeons? Solo play is quite different from it. I have heard the Steal Time spell is loved very much.
    3) I have read, that Master of Flame was loosing heavily to Spellstorm in terms of DPS. Is it still so? Is it viable?
    4) I see, that Eye of the Storm was heavily nerfed since the original post (15 -> 9% and -33% duration). Is it still a reasonable choice after that? I believe, I will need more crit stat then before, if I will try to go a crit-based renegade.

Well... I am only starting to play, so i will gladly listen to any other information about the changes and current balance state.

1. Yes
    2. All encounters
    3. lower dps but viable
    4. it got buffed.
  • Options
    dem0nrunn3rdem0nrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey Grimah, excellent guide that's helped me a lot while leveling.

Forgive me if you've mentioned this before as i can't find the info but what enchants do you recommend?
    Would it be like a certain enchant each for Offense, Defense and Utility? Or do you mix the enchants around?

I'm using your Spellstorm Thaum spec if that makes any difference.

Also what about artifacts? I'm assuming just the power/crit ones will do.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    May I ask with renegade if you are unfortunately tiefling and not human (no tempest magic...) what is your choice between snap freeze and reaper's touch.

Guess Snap freeze because of the chill strike(coi)?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    tempest magic still works with tiefling.