What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Grimah's Comprehensive Wizard guide

Comments

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just made an update with the wizard sets, and shield description (and its wierd cooldown) and edited some feat information. Hope it helps.

still missing focal magi control spell list. so if anyone could help with that. (drained all my AD, and those helmets are quite pricey :O )

I cleaned up the AP gain section too so its clearer.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    topguidestopguides Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Grimah,
    Thank you for this great guide.
    Can I add your guide to mmominds.com?
  • Options
    daswoolydaswooly Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ray of enfeeblement (Arcane): Our Highest damage single target encounter, and also reduces target mitigation by 20%. Gives a fair amount of AP when used too. However do not use this on tab, as it will increase its cooldown.(Recommended)
    Is this up to date with the recent nerf to the debuff? If so, is it 20% mitigation reduction at rank 1 or rank 3?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    topguides wrote: »
    Hi Grimah,
    Thank you for this great guide.
    Can I add your guide to mmominds.com?

Sure i do not mind, I made this guide for everyone to browse at their leisure.
    daswooly wrote: »
    Is this up to date with the recent nerf to the debuff? If so, is it 20% mitigation reduction at rank 1 or rank 3?

20% at rank 3, so 15/17.5/20% according to tooltip. I tested it just after the big change.

I haven't read anything about a recent nerf.

I did a quick test now (a short one). the results came out at 17.5%. It maybe due to not testing long enough. (only did around 5 enfeebles) and the RnG of this game is really out of whack, so it could still be 20% unless someone can prove it otherwise (i use frost at-wills + ray for my tests
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    On another note, i will revise and update the whole guide once feywild hits (as there will be some major changes coming with that patch.,
  • Options
    topguidestopguides Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grimah wrote: »

Everyone can rate your guide here: http://mmominds.com/2013/08/16/grimahs-comprehensive-wizard-guide/

Thanks again for your work.
  • Options
    noojsternoojster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013

20% at rank 3, so 15/17.5/20% according to tooltip. I tested it just after the big change.

I haven't read anything about a recent nerf.

I did a quick test now (a short one). the results came out at 17.5%. It maybe due to not testing long enough. (only did around 5 enfeebles) and the RnG of this game is really out of whack, so it could still be 20% unless someone can prove it otherwise (i use frost at-wills + ray for my tests

Thanks for this grimah, I think it's still 20% for the damage reduction.

But how do you do the damage math if you have masterful arcane theft feat @ 5 arcane stacks? does it give a rough 30% more damage in total rather than 15%(without feat)?

MeyvnHart
    Lvl 60 Control Wizard (Tiefling) - Spellstorm Mage [Thauma-DPS]
    Philippines' <TANGINA MO PO KOYA> Guild
    Mindflayer Server
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    noojster wrote: »
    Thanks for this grimah, I think it's still 20% for the damage reduction.

But how do you do the damage math if you have masterful arcane theft feat @ 5 arcane stacks? does it give a rough 30% more damage in total rather than 15%(without feat)?

pretty much that, +30% and 35% if you/another chilled the target
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    [...]
    It is also advised to use eldritch rune in the defensive runestone, at rank 6 it gives +8% bonus stats, which is a higher contribution of stats than placing another defensive rune there. If you do wish to transfer over a defensive stat (lifesteal, defense, deflection) it is better to use a ring/neckless which provide a defense slot or defensive stats.
    I'm sorry, if the following was already asked and/or answered elsewhere in this thread, but search did only came up with this quote for "Eldritch".

As I'm currently doing a lot of tests on the Mimic/Preview shard, I also exchanged my Profane Runestone in the Stone's Defense slot with an Eldritch Runestone. In regards to the information from the Character window, it didn't work--there are no extra percent contributing to my stats, neither shown on the stats of the companion nor on the stats on my character himself. I also did re-summon and re-log in order to check if I missed something.

Did I miss something, or is the conclusion that the Eldritch Runestone is (no longer?) working in the Defense slot of the Stone.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Under your portrait you should see a new buff called Augment.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    :o Ok, thank you. Will check again.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I checked and compared the display between Live and Mimic. You get the buff Augment, as soon as you summon your Stone (or Cat) companion. The stats you put into your Stone/Cat are displayed on the companion itself, as well as they are added to your characters stats & displayed in the main character window.

However, if I put an Eldritch Runestone into the defense slot of my Stone, I still get only one buff Augment icon under my portrait, but neither the stats on the Stone nor my character's stats are changed to reflect the possible increase by the Eldritch Runestone.

Therefore, sorry if I ask again, but how do you figure (are sure about) that the Eldritch Runestone does actually work on the Stone/Cat?
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    Ok, I checked and compared the display between Live and Mimic. You get the buff Augment, as soon as you summon your Stone (or Cat) companion. The stats you put into your Stone/Cat are displayed on the companion itself, as well as they are added to your characters stats & displayed in the main character window.

However, if I put an Eldritch Runestone into the defense slot of my Stone, I still get only one buff Augment icon under my portrait, but neither the stats on the Stone nor my character's stats are changed to reflect the possible increase by the Eldritch Runestone.

Therefore, sorry if I ask again, but how do you figure (are sure about) that the Eldritch Runestone does actually work on the Stone/Cat?

The Cat buff is called Cat Prowess. The Eldritch runestone buff is called Augment. They are two different buff icons.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The Cat buff is called Cat Prowess. The Eldritch runestone buff is called Augment. They are two different buff icons.
    :o Do you have a cat? I only have an Ion Stone of Allure, and both on Live (where I have a Profane Runestone in the defense slot) and on Mimic (where I have an Eldritch Runestone in the defense slot), I only have one icon (called Augment).

But if you have a cat and therefore two icons, that would be an indication for having two buffs--still weird that the display of the stats are not changed. I'll do some further tests next week.

Thank you very much for the reply & information!
  • Options
    hideto1988hideto1988 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What are your thoughts on the new patch? Any changes to ur build?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm still using thaum, though im tempted to an arcane build so i can use eots instead of chilling presence. i dont find build very important/gamechanging apart from 1 or 2 feats. I need to figure it out myself :).

At-Wil: Chilling cloud
    tab: entangle (for AP and gathering mobs in a bunch)
    Encounters: sudden storm, shard (for knockback and damage), steal time
    daily: oppressive force
    features: EotS, storm spell

or stick with the chill.
    At-will: chilling cloud
    tab: Conduit
    Encounters: sudden storm, icy terrain, steal time.
    Daily: singularity or oppressive.
    Features: Chilling presence, storm spell.

Both trees have gotten a buff (chilling cloud aoe, icy terrain crits, assailing force works on tab now), and EoTs is a nice buff also for rene. getting more consistant crits. I will detail the changes ive made.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    AoE spells

repel on tab is now counted as an aoe
    Chilling Cloud's third strike is now counted as an aoe

(rest are still unchanged, icy terrain/sudden storm/shard/conduit of ice)

DoT spells:

Icy Terrain damage is calculated as a DoT

At-Wills

Chilling Cloud's 3rd attack now benefits from aoe upgrades, radius is now 10 feet.

Storm pillar refreshed arcane and chill stacks at half charge+ (you can just about refresh chill stacks using full charge storm pillars.)

Encounters

Shield: Only grants 5% AP when used
    Damage is all calculated seperately so it will calculate each individual target hit whether it crits or not, (this makes it unreliable to use with critical power).

Icy Terrain: Can now crit

Sudden Storm: Can now crit

Class Features

Eye of the Storm: has been reworked, procs more regularly with a shorter duration

Feats:

Assailing force now works on mastery.
    Snap freeze: reduced in damage

Theres some other tweaks but i wont mention them
  • Options
    ragulolragulol Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    Feats:

Snap freeze: reduced in damage
    And doesnt work with dailies, at least patch notes said so(not tested\confirmed?)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    yea it doesnt, i have made edits throughout the guide.

Shield is no longer worthy of an encounter slot, it still does a ton of damage (not as high because of the crit thing), however it does not generate enough AP to save your *** from the hundreds of things that will slap you silly after it has gone off.

BUT it is still useful for bumping so be prepared to switch in and out of it

I have also updated the spell builds section to keep with the times.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh i have decided to switch to arcane/renegade just for kicks (chilling cloud (for aoe and bitter cold proc) /entangle tab/sudden storm/avalanche/steal time/oppressive)

so if someone could tell me which spells elemental empowerment procs off now, that would be great :). (i was using a pvp build without it before this patch)
  • Options
    ragulolragulol Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    Huh, could try avalanche\entangle aswell instead of CoI\IT, interesting to compare. My guess is that it gives less control and less damage, but gives more AP, and oppressive can compensate the loss of previous 2

But again, CoI is great for EotS-proccing, as IT, it gives constant damage that can proc it, and avalanche in my expirience was bugged and could not proc it, and EF has only 1 chance to proc it... needs more thinking and testing
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    its just a different playstyle, rather than a focus on maximum damage. the CoI/icy combo no doubt does more damage, or just COI in general. but that is a close quarter build. Entangle for AP generation, shard for knockdown are the main reasons I'm trying it, shard crits for around 9k for me (non-buffed/debuffed).

Ofcourse you can try your own builds, i like being a "control" wizard. CCing for me is more important than flat damage, so I'm willing to sacfrice some damage to keep things disabled, I'll let other class do the damage instead (like a gwf or rogue) since they can't do much fo anything else, unlike us.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    small but noticable change to high vizier set. icy rays now procs the bonus, so even easier to keep it up during single target scenarios. pretty nice buff.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This was very helpful!

Now I know how I should be using my Control Wizard.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm confused about the tabbed skills.

Is there a way to use skills that are not slotted on the UI?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    they are mastery skills, maybe i should change the wording for those who changed the keybind...
  • Options
    zeddbvzeddbv Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Would you say that copticone's ((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role is a good guide on how the spec your powers and feats for the thaumaturge CW?
    (BTW i'm like 3 days old in this game and looking for a good build for pvp and pve)
    And if so how should i roll my stats and and what are the most important stats on armour's?
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zeddbv wrote: »
    Would you say that copticone's ((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role is a good guide on how the spec your powers and feats for the thaumaturge CW?
    (BTW i'm like 3 days old in this game and looking for a good build for pvp and pve)
    And if so how should i roll my stats and and what are the most important stats on armour's?

Thaumaturge is the best spec for AoE DPS/PVE.
    Oppressor is best spec for PVP.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    zeddbvzeddbv Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thaumaturge is the best spec for AoE DPS/PVE.
    Oppressor is best spec for PVP.

Are there dual talents here like in WoW (yes i'm an old wow player) so I can spec both ways?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zeddbv wrote: »
    Are there dual talents here like in WoW (yes i'm an old wow player) so I can spec both ways?
    No(t yet).