Install Arc
Options

Devs Re: Hammer of Fate nerf

Comments

• Options
    evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    uri92 wrote: »
    But well, we all know that devs hate clerics, right ?
    Look at this thread, over 19 pages, started 1 week and half ago, and they still don't ****in care about us.

They are busy ignoring other issues, like nightmares/sparkles debacle. Maybe we need 20-30 pages of posts to actually give us some attention. I also want somebody to confirm this http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?473031-Chains-can-crit-ArmorPen-and-Repurpose-Soul-broken-Help-me-test
  • Options
    redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't even spec into hammer of fate anymore. hahahaha
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey, At least we have chicken!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »
    I don't even spec into hammer of fate anymore. hahahaha

I'm agonizing over it myself because I really want to respec and swap some encounters I don't use for a couple of different ones that I've heard are good, but I don't know if I'll want to spec back into HoF. Maybe I'll use the respec and hold back the last three points for if/when they bring back the kaboom on it.

P.S. Devs please bring back the kaboom on HoF already.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    I'm agonizing over it myself because I really want to respec and swap some encounters I don't use for a couple of different ones that I've heard are good, but I don't know if I'll want to spec back into HoF. Maybe I'll use the respec and hold back the last three points for if/when they bring back the kaboom on it.

P.S. Devs please bring back the kaboom on HoF already.
    ^^
    This 100 times over
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please devs, do so. Nerfing HoF was really stu... unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm running out of ways to say that this nerf was unwarranted and no one likes it. If someone doesn't come in here soon I'm going to have to get out the thesaurus.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm running out of ways to say that this nerf was unwarranted and no one likes it. If someone doesn't come in here soon I'm going to have to get out the thesaurus.

Maybe you should get out that thesaurus anyways, could be fun XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, get into a Velociraptor. That sure would be fun.

[I know what Thesaurus is, not a dinosaur if someone is wondering]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks, Oroness, now my halfling CW wants a velociraptor mount. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @abell39

So how about running dungeons to test crazy class combos?

Something to do as we wait for some response on HoF nerf.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like a plan. We should have complex statistic for all dungeons before we get any any answer.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Why do the devs ignore us clerics!!?

Please revert the HoF nerf, you basically gutted the skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @abell39

So how about running dungeons to test crazy class combos?

Something to do as we wait for some response on HoF nerf.....

Sure, why not? I mostly play evenings because of work and I probably won't have time for dungeoning until the weekend, but shoot me a friend request and we can get together for a dungeon sometime. Maybe do an all DC run with some of my friends for lulz. :D

In the meantime, HoF nerf continues to be egregiously silly, discuss.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sure, why not? I mostly play evenings because of work and I probably won't have time for dungeoning until the weekend, but shoot me a friend request and we can get together for a dungeon sometime. Maybe do an all DC run with some of my friends for lulz. :D

In the meantime, HoF nerf continues to be egregiously silly, discuss.

Yeah HoF nerf is silly. Call it HoFail now... so sad :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Have you ever tried Hammer of Fate on a GWF.
    It's funny.

If that power is supposed to be an Execution then give it the feats it needs, like TR's Shoking Execution.
    -Ignore armor
    -More damage depending on HP left

If they don't do it then that power is simply useless, not an Execution at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's funny.

If that power is supposed to be an Execution then give it the feats it needs, like TR's Shoking Execution.
    -Ignore armor

This would be awesome to get added to HoF, Actually it would make up for the overall base damage loss because each successive hit would do more damage. I would support this addition to HoF, It would feel like it has that kaboom again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Of course it's an execution you silly. Once it's casting animation begins you're instantly executed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's funny.

-Ignore armor

...That is brilliant and I would be thrilled if this happened instead of the AP gain. Even if the 40% damage reduction stayed, just putting in those two things instead of the AP gain would make me happy again.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ...That is brilliant and I would be thrilled if this happened instead of the AP gain. Even if the 40% damage reduction stayed, just putting in those two things instead of the AP gain would make me happy again.

OR just give Us AP gain if it takes less then 3 hits to kill with HoF, plus those changes. The way I see if the AP gain was supposed to compensate us for it the 1st or 2nd hit killed the target.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm glad this thread is still alive and constructive. It was such a bizarre and unnecessary nerf with a really poor excuse for utility tacked on....

I do like the suggestion of altering its properties to make it a functional execution power. If they want to "reward" us for executing a target with this power, it should actually stand a fair chance of successful execution if used properly, like Shocking Execution.

Lots of good suggestions on forums for how to make HoFail viable again. The funny thing is that pretty much everyone recognizes that it was fine before, when its high base damage was offset by its slow, multi-stage animation.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread is still alive and constructive. It was such a bizarre and unnecessary nerf with a really poor excuse for utility tacked on....

I do like the suggestion of altering its properties to make it a functional execution power. If they want to "reward" us for executing a target with this power, it should actually stand a fair chance of successful execution if used properly, like Shocking Execution.

Lots of good suggestions on forums for how to make HoFail viable again. The funny thing is that pretty much everyone recognizes that it was fine before, when its high base damage was offset by its slow, multi-stage animation.

And it is very easy to dodge Hammer of Fate.

I don't know what they were trying to do with that power but they ruined it, it looks like they left it halfway.
    As I pointed earlier if the power is supposed to be an execution then add Ignore Armor and +Damage for HP left. Like Rogues'Execution.
    The way it is now the damage just don't match with "Daily".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And it is very easy to dodge Hammer of Fate.

I don't know what they were trying to do with that power but they ruined it, it looks like they left it halfway.
    As I pointed earlier if the power is supposed to be an execution then add Ignore Armor and +Damage for HP left. Like Rogues'Execution.
    The way it is now the damage just don't match with "Daily".

While we are at it, Guardian of Faith could use a buff to it's damage and healing. If it did as much damage as daunting light and as much healing as daunting light does damage it would be viable I think. Since it heals it's damage doesn't need to be as high, but right now both the heal and damage are pathetic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    It's pretty, though?

To be honest, I'm still just using flamestrike as my damage daily: I never liked the way HoF rooted you for the cast anim, not least because it was utterly nonsensical. "While casting, you are immune to CC! Also, while casting, you can't move anyway."

GENIUS
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    It's pretty, though?

To be honest, I'm still just using flamestrike as my damage daily: I never liked the way HoF rooted you for the cast anim, not least because it was utterly nonsensical. "While casting, you are immune to CC! Also, while casting, you can't move anyway."

GENIUS

It depends on how you use it; I use it most in mobs of CC critters (e.g. winterwolves) or on CCing bosses when I'm out of stamina and/or there are too many overlapping reds to avoid them effectively. It's really helpful when you've expended your two holy rollerskates already.
  • Options
    lordgallenlordgallen Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 91
    edited September 2013
    Commented in another thread but commenting here as well.

Hammer of fate will get some buffs to it, but it won't go back to the damage it used to deal.
    Saying it only sometimes killed people/Npcs from full health is not a very convincing argument for it's previous damage being ok. :/

Keep in mind that Hammer of Fate can't be interrupted, increases your damage reduction by 50% while casting, requires them to evade 3 separate hits, and stuns the target for a second if they are hit by the final blast. Should also mention that if you are concerned with players dodging it, landing Chains of Blazing Light will prevent them from evading any of the hits.

In regards to it being compared to Flame Strike, Flame Strike gets bonus damage for being a placed attack. Flame strike only deals it's full damage if you hit with the geyser, and if you miss with that there is a good chance players will evade the splash entirely. (The combo with chains of Blazing Light applies here as well of course)

But with that said, Hammer of Fate will get some extra love.
  • Options
    porter35porter35 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hmm, I don't feel like that really addresses the actual issue people are concerned about. The complaints/confusion about HoF are in context to the overall state of the cleric. Looking at HoF in isolation, it may be reasonable to feel like "whoa, it's clearly doing too much damage", but considering it was the ONLY burst damage ability that most clerics used, well, it feels like you're just adding insult to injury.

How was its previous damage ok? Well, it was ok because nobody considered a cleric a damage threat. I mean, they just aren't. You can find people here on the forums complaining about literally anything, but one thing I've never seen is "omg those clerics do so much damage, clerics op!". DCs had one ability with strong burst damage that might actually make a player stop and think about how to handle them instead of just rolling out their full rotation with no worries. And you nerfed it. You say you want to give HoF some love, which is great, but I think we all know the only thing that actually makes people think twice is DAMAGE. Can't we please have a daily with burst damage that's actually a threat to other players? Is that really too much to ask?
  • Options
    jimcrocejimcroce Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lordgallen wrote: »
    Commented in another thread but commenting here as well.

Hammer of fate will get some buffs to it, but it won't go back to the damage it used to deal.
    Saying it only sometimes killed people/Npcs from full health is not a very convincing argument for it's previous damage being ok. :/

Keep in mind that Hammer of Fate can't be interrupted, increases your damage reduction by 50% while casting, requires them to evade 3 separate hits, and stuns the target for a second if they are hit by the final blast. Should also mention that if you are concerned with players dodging it, landing Chains of Blazing Light will prevent them from evading any of the hits.

In regards to it being compared to Flame Strike, Flame Strike gets bonus damage for being a placed attack. Flame strike only deals it's full damage if you hit with the geyser, and if you miss with that there is a good chance players will evade the splash entirely. (The combo with chains of Blazing Light applies here as well of course)

But with that said, Hammer of Fate will get some extra love.

"Extra love" Let me start off by saying you guys don't understand what love means. What you call "love" I call Nerfs. You guys have pummelled the cleric class into the ground, lit the remains on fire, then urinated on the flames to put it out. Stop "loving" my favorite class. Since open beta the only "love" clerics needed was the removal of stacking astral shields. That was O.P.. However we didn't need the duration of a.s. almost halved, but that time has come and passed, we as a community of clerics took one for the team."We'll get buffed later" we said... Balance patch incoming,"hurray finally justice from last patch, clerics will be good again". And dream crushed. Not only was the nerf to our class drastic, it was final. The TR class community had plenty of time to test out their class changes before anything was set in stone, multiple weeks in advance if I recall correctly. We got our notice lost in the mail Iguess. A.P. generation off of sunburst was great, It was used in pve to drop hallowed ground after hallowed ground. Keeping everyone safe, thats our jobs as clerics , right? Well I'd feel a lot safer in my hallowed ground all the time, but I can't, Igot "loved" to death.

This brings me to Hammer of fate. This ability is a single target dps DAILY that is arguably the best damage skill a cleric HAD. It worked well, better "love" it. I can't honestly believe you would make balance changes based off pvp for this game, but you just admitted you did. It is right there plain and obvious thatH .O.F.got "loved" because of pvp. I wouldn't ever call clerics as jokes in pvp, they are pretty capable, but laughable is pretty close. I would have to disagree with these changes you've made, I get that this is a game and it is for fun, but do you? How can I have any fun when you take every fun thing away from my class?

Oh and before I forget what happened to forgemaster flame? Did you intentionally "love" that too? My heals aren't even half as strong on D. mode F.F. anymore. Maybe I'm just one guy that feels this way and I'm the crazy claiming the sky is falling, but please stop "loving" my class.
    You don't mess around with Jim
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I'm not 100% sure, but this skill bug out. It can push through shieldblock and unstoppable. It don't damage, but push.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lordgallen wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Hammer of Fate can't be interrupted, increases your damage reduction by 50% while casting, requires them to evade 3 separate hits, and stuns the target for a second if they are hit by the final blast. Should also mention that if you are concerned with players dodging it, landing Chains of Blazing Light will prevent them from evading any of the hits..

First, thank you again for participating in the discussion :)

Some feedback on your points:

- I wouldn't say that Hammer of Fate "requires" players to evade 3 separate hits so much as players are ABLE to evade any portion of the spell. It's not as if any single hit delivers the full damage potential. Even one blast of HoF would sometimes hit for large damage if it crit, but that was prior to the massive damage reduction it received. Basically it is in no way a benefit to the caster that Hammer of Fate has to confirm 3 separate hits to deliver its full damage.

- The immobilization effect of Chains of Light lasts for only a moment on players and will probably not keep them rooted for all three blasts even if they use no skills to escape it. It's also too easy to counter with Unstoppable, ItC, etc. Finally, Chains of Blazing Light has modest damage on a relatively long cooldown combined with that very brief root on players, which makes it a less than attractive choice for most PvP, especially if slotted just to help guarantee 1 or 2 blasts from Hammer of Fate.

- The damage reduction and CC immunity are nice and all, but the power also roots the player while they are caught up in the animation. Also, Hammer of Fate is sadly not completely uninterruptible. I've actually had it stuffed by daze effects before, especially Smoke Bomb. I believe attacks that cause sufficient push-back can also interrupt the chain. Further, because the casting time is so lengthy and divided into 3 waves, targets can sometimes just run out of the way or behind the environment.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH