What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs Re: Hammer of Fate nerf

Comments

• Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yikes, this is a long thread! I'm glad to see people responding. My point in the original post wasn't to make a jab at TR's, but to try and illustrate the absurdity of the situation a bit.

The main problem with the HoF nerf is the contradiction of logic. If the Hammer is intended to be a finishing move, then no amount of damage is too much. But changing the power to do less damage, and then explicitly state it's meant to be a finishing move, that is a little much.

I also wonder how any developer can design a power that does 66% damage more than it should. Yes, not 40%, but 66%.

Consider:

Old Hammer: 10k damage
    New Hammer: 6k damage

6k * 1.4 = 8.4k
    6k * 1.66 = 10k

This is the same thing with Righteousness. Some people have offered that it's just in our heads, and no one would be upset if it said, "You heal others for 40% more." However that is not correct. You'd have to heal others for 66% more.

Another major problem is the perception of the DC as a Healer. We are not healers. We can heal, and we do heal, but that is not our exclusive function. It's just one part of it. Someone asks, why would we ever slot a damage daily, or even damage encounter? Well, the truth is, we HAVE to. We have only two actual heals, and they are both encounters. Every other power is a hybrid power. We don't have ANY Daily heals (I wish we did), and TWO daily damage-only powers. Our primary resource, Divine Power, which is needed to turn some of non-healing powers into healing powers can only be generated by attacks without slotting a class feature. Even then, the class feature is bugged, and doesn't generate divine power the way it says.

So no, we cannot be pure healers. Even if we wanted to.

More to the point, every class is capable of self-healing. In DnD 4e, each class could heal with something called a Healing Surge. There is indication that those were part of the original Neverwinter design (there is a reference to them in the command list), but it was abandoned in favor of potions. The ONLY burst healing a DC had that could compare to potions was crits with the old Hammer.

I want to reiterate that point:

Crits with the old Hammer was our biggest burst heal.

So even looking at this as just a DPS nerf shows not only a misunderstanding of the DC's role, but a misunderstanding of our class mechanics as well. I could say a lot more, but I don't want to veer too far from the topic of the Hammer nerf.

Lastly and most importantly, the Hammer was just fun. Getting to 50, building up your Daily, seeing the runes spin around you and the whirring sound effect, tossing arcs of golden radiance across the map and seeing those big numbers pop up while the screen shakes -- yeah, the Hammer was awesome. You actually felt like you were channeling Divinity. You felt like "okay, some of our powers are puny, we have bugs, but this kinda makes up for it." But now it's just not viable anymore. Dropping Hallowed Ground and tossing a Daunting Light is the highest damage for us. And it's not nearly as fun.

Overall, I don't get the nerfs. You are disenfranchising everyone, not just DC's. Neverwinter is teetering on the edge of failure. It's already seen as making cheap money-grabs. There are tons of bugs and exploits. People aren't sure if it's worth investing real money into the game. And then you take all these players who are already rife with uncertainty, and make their classes less fun to play. What gives?
  • Options
    mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I actually made a post in the main forum and it got moved to the kitchen.. i mean the dc forum. TY.
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The main problem with the HoF nerf is the contradiction of logic. If the Hammer is intended to be a finishing move, then no amount of damage is too much. But changing the power to do less damage, and then explicitly state it's meant to be a finishing move, that is a little much.

I also wonder how any developer can design a power that does 66% damage more than it should. Yes, not 40%, but 66%.

Consider:

Old Hammer: 10k damage
    New Hammer: 6k damage

6k * 1.4 = 8.4k
    6k * 1.66 = 10k

This is the same thing with Righteousness. Some people have offered that it's just in our heads, and no one would be upset if it said, "You heal others for 40% more." However that is not correct. You'd have to heal others for 66% more.

Another major problem is the perception of the DC as a Healer. We are not healers. We can heal, and we do heal, but that is not our exclusive function. It's just one part of it. Someone asks, why would we ever slot a damage daily, or even damage encounter? Well, the truth is, we HAVE to. We have only two actual heals, and they are both encounters. Every other power is a hybrid power. We don't have ANY Daily heals (I wish we did), and TWO daily damage-only powers. Our primary resource, Divine Power, which is needed to turn some of non-healing powers into healing powers can only be generated by attacks without slotting a class feature. Even then, the class feature is bugged, and doesn't generate divine power the way it says.

More to the point, every class is capable of self-healing. In DnD 4e, each class could heal with something called a Healing Action. There is indication that those were part of the original Neverwinter design (there is a reference to them in the command list), but it was abandoned in favor of potions. The ONLY burst healing a DC had that could compare to potions was crits with the old Hammer.

I want to reiterate that point:

Crits with the old Hammer was our biggest burst heal.

So even looking at this as just a DPS nerf shows not only a misunderstanding of the DC's role, but a misunderstanding of our class mechanics as well. I could say a lot more, but I don't want to veer too far from the topic of the Hammer nerf.

Lastly and most importantly, the Hammer was just fun. Getting to 50, building up your Daily, seeing the runes spin around you and the whirring sound effect, tossing arcs of golden radiance across the map and seeing those big numbers pop up while the screen shakes -- yeah, the Hammer was awesome. You actually felt like you were channeling Divinity. You felt like "okay, some of our powers are puny, we have bugs, but this kinda makes up for it." But now it's just not viable anymore. Dropping Hallowed Ground and tossing a Daunting Light is the highest damage for us. And it's not nearly as fun.

Overall, I don't get the nerfs. You are disenfranchising everyone, not just DC's. Neverwinter is teetering on the edge of failure. It's already seen as making cheap money-grabs. There are tons of bugs and exploits. People aren't sure if it's worth investing real money into the game. And then you take all these players who are already rife with uncertainty, and make their classes less fun to play. What gives?

I think this sums up the situation nicely. People keep calling clerics healers and are assuming the system is based on the holy trinity concept which couldn't be more untrue.

Also I'm tired of being expected to be other peoples babysitter. They thing if there is a cleric present they don't need healing potions and don't have to dodge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Pretty much this. You can cal GFs healers, lol, they do have a self-healing daily, after all, while we have -40% self-heal debuff. Current nerfs and stealth nerfs (hey devs, care to clarify them?) kinda shove DCs in a very strange position of being uncertain of what is that we actually should do. Being a main target for rogues for PvP, haha, that's why clerics is the slowest class. Keep answering to this thread, clerics, it needs to stay up until devs will actually answer. They've been ignoring DCs for quite some time now, this needs to be changed.
    Also I'm tired of being expected to be other peoples babysitter. They thing if there is a cleric present they don't need healing potions and don't have to dodge.

"But u are helaer why u no heal while i pwn boss and stand in the red? adds? what adds? newb helar ((("
  • Options
    reshaimreshaim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And by the way, also Forgemaster Flame healing got nerfed, are we sure the DC is meant as a healer? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pretty much this. You can cal GFs healers, lol, they do have a self-healing daily, after all, while we have -40% self-heal debuff. Current nerfs and stealth nerfs (hey devs, care to clarify them?) kinda shove DCs in a very strange position of being uncertain of what is that we actually should do. Being a main target for rogues for PvP, haha, that's why clerics is the slowest class. Keep answering to this thread, clerics, it needs to stay up until devs will actually answer. They've been ignoring DCs for quite some time now, this needs to be changed.

My GF can heal herself with her daily better and more effectively then my DC can with all her passive crit healing, soothing light etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, it's realy pathetic. I realy like to play my cleric, but if I look at the end of a dungeon and get the worst dps, just around 2.5 M healing it's just frustrating.

It's frustrating not to be able to keep party members alive even if focus on. In T2 endboss battles our healing already feels like trying to extinguish a camp fire house with a water pistol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    xiphenon wrote: »
    Yeah, it's realy pathetic. I realy like to play my cleric, but if I look at the end of a dungeon and get the worst dps, just around 2.5 M healing it's just frustrating.

It's frustrating not to be able to keep party members alive even if focus on. In T2 endboss battles our healing already feels like trying to extinguish a camp fire house with a water pistol.

I tried malabog and got a terrible tank. not even downing the first boss I was top damage and 2 mil healing done. People need to learn how to dodge seriously! For such a short treck into a dungeon that's alot of healing... almost no one make any effort to dodge and the tank couldn't hold agro at all. So I ended up being offtank. Also everyone ignored he powies and witherers except for the GWF and I (and near the end the TR as well). the GWf and I were the only ones that made any effort to avoid damage. I mean even GF can't block forever so why blocking when ever they can doesn't work.

Honestly I find it's the other classes not knowing how to play that gets me killed, regardless of which class I am playing. Or those people that ignore you when you go down. that don't dodge of of the red, or refuse to use potions and then feel like they can blame the cleric because they think their role is to heal and only to heal (and even some clerics think this....).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Honestly I find it's the other classes not knowing how to play that gets me killed, regardless of which class I am playing. Or those people that ignore you when you go down. that don't dodge of of the red, or refuse to use potions and then feel like they can blame the cleric because they think their role is to heal and only to heal (and even some clerics think this....).

It's definitely not possible "only to heal" in this game, many of DCs abilities are hybrid damage/healing, so we need these stupid nerfs reverted! That is unless devs believe that by ruining one class they will bump their health stones sales.

Oh, and a nice work "fixing" Miracle Healer's set. It's a funny thing how "bug" in the Stalwart set that was "fixed" only recently, and GFs had some fun time using it, but DC's "OP" set was "fixed" extremely fast.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh, and a nice work "fixing" Miracle Healer's set. It's a funny thing how "bug" in the Stalwart set that was "fixed" only recently, and GFs had some fun time using it, but DC's "OP" set was "fixed" extremely fast.

Chaos Wizard set, anyone? Still "bugged"...
    how convenient, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    Chaos Wizard set, anyone? Still "bugged"...
    how convenient, right?

Poor mages, they need some love from the devs, too. Currently only clerics are enjoying it, it seems.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It's definitely not possible "only to heal" in this game, many of DCs abilities are hybrid damage/healing, so we need these stupid nerfs reverted! That is unless devs believe that by ruining one class they will bump their health stones sales.

I agree, you don't go nerfing the weakest class, you nerf the OP ones and buff the weak ones... But you buff the weak ones more then you nerf the OP ones if you are smart about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I also have played with many good groups that did whipe at a boss because they did like 1 mistake. I was not able to "buffer" this mistake, since even in astral shield people can be one shotted by boss attacks. It is just bad game design imho, that the cleric is only to migrate a small part of incoming damage.

Because our heals are so gimped, I need to focus my powers on healing. AS, BoH, HW / SB / FF. You need at least 2/3 encounter power to be pure healing, at boss fights it's more like 3/3 ... espacially after AP generation nerf of sunburst.

The most idiotic design is that the most powerfull heals can not be spreaded but are quite limited in it's area of effect ... or even worse, tied to the ground as AS. This is quite contrary to the game concept of dodging attacks. Often you dodge out of the zone of healing.

Not to mention a bunch of super-weak feats like e.g. restoration mastery, that add 0.5-1% damage resistance on rank 5 when someone is healed... while other classes get 20 % damage or defensive boost with a same tier feat ... just lol.

There are so many thing wrong with the cleric class that it imho takes a major overhaul to be able to fix this class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lilsometinlilsometin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Soooo, its not just me..lol...i just started playing and barely got my DC to 11k gs and level 60, and after this recent patch, i noticed that its so much harder to kill things. If i take pvp into example here, DC are the FIRST targets...ever...I am usually the first death because, even though i wait half a second for my whole team to reach the cap, the second they see my I am the priority target. I used to load my daily up just for these cases and the second I saw a CW even look at me I would use my delightful Hammer to not only push him back, but to damage him badly enough where either he would die, or he would step back a little buying me enough time to lay down my AS and actually heal my team mates and all that mumbo jumbo. Now though, I cannot even use it as protection in those cases. The HoF has been reduced to a move that looks appealing but at best tickles my target. I can't even make someone step back for a second with it to allow myself a second to heal or whatever because its impossible to do any damage with it. In dungeons, i prefer using divine armor for those big group of small monsters, and hollowed ground for dragged out boss fights because I feel that the time i take in the animation of HoF is too long and if someone takes a huge hit, I couldn't fulfill PART of my roll and heal them fast enough. that being said, i used HoF religiously when i solo'd to knock out those big guys like pretty much every other cleric.

Too Long didnt read version:
    i don't mind losing it from the dungeon, but when i solo, the damage reduction really hurts. PvP ( for I am a pvp ***** and have always enjoyed PvPing as healer/healer-hybrid classes in any game) is where i really see the hurt and I honestly feel useless and when my team loses, I even saw someone say " its because we have a cleric".........even though i saved their asses countless times and it was because of their stupidity that we lost, I can't contribute and im the easy one to blame.

oh look, my too long didnt read turned into a paragraph of its own...ah wellz
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah people like to blame their own stupidity on the clerics because they are so easy to blame... And then there are those clerics that know they aren't common and will leave if the group wipes a few times (also bad). I find alot of players seem to forget how to dodge around level 50 when clerics can start using astral shield (if they put points into it)... Curious isn't it? At lower levels I see players dodging all the time! then they forget...
    tancred300 wrote: »
    Im interested in your build though, mind sharing it? Like small guide/short overview? Others might be interested too.

I posted it in the cleric forums, It's a more place then this thread I think :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brush4toiletbrush4toilet Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, am i the only one who see no gain of action points with HoF's kills?

Moreover, my damages on "discouraging light" have been increased (on crit surely)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Dunno, haven't been able to kill anything so far with HoF but, concerning Daunting Light, i always had an excellent damage output though i usually use a lot of debuff.
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now it is certain they'll nerf Daunting Light too... We cant have encounter that does more damage than daily, do we?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ..And Flame Strike still doesnt crit... sigh...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, i did some test with the dummies this morning.
    Without Critical, Daunting Light doesn't do more damage than HoF.
    Although HoF got the different Hits, each one with its own different probability to crit, so surely a critical Daunting Light it does more damage than HoF but, in my humble opinion, is not OP at all, considering the fact that it has a really long start-up if not cast with divinity and that, to do a really consinstent damage, the opponent must be seriously debuffed (my best damage was with the debuff from High Prophet active, with Divine Prophecy of Doom and Divine Glowt on).
    Also, considering the fact that for a DC would be really hard to solo level without that power (while leveling DL was always on my setup), i really hope that this discussion about HoF would not escalate in a DL nerf.
    And about the "high damage" of DL, i've made my build considering that one of my Key Powers and setting up my debuff sequence accordingly, it means that i've spent time and efforts (and money to respec also) to made a different and useful build with the various feats we can choose from.
    Being penalized for doing a good job in not being yet another healbot while bringing something useful to the party will definitely make me look for another game, considering how already weak the DC is.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    reshaim wrote: »
    Also, considering the fact that for a DC would be really hard to solo level without that power (while leveling DL was always on my setup), i really hope that this discussion about HoF would not escalate in a DL nerf.

Don't give them such ideas, please.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok, ok, DL is not more powerfull than HoF... however, seeing how our best skills are successively nerfed, I would not be surprized if DL nerf comes next.
  • Options
    uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They will eventually nerf it and add some kewl feature to compensate, like some 1% lifesteal effect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    uri92 wrote: »
    They will eventually nerf it and add some kewl feature to compensate, like some 1% lifesteal effect.

1% would be way too generous, I'd expect it to be 0.1% with a 30% chance.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    While we are at it we should mention that guardian of faith's damage is pathetic for a daily. While daunting light needs to crit to out do hammer of fate's damage but a crit from gaurdian of faith cannot do a daunting light crit.

Fix our dailies!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guardian of faith? What is that? Oh, now I remember, that daily I stopped using when I reached lvl 11 because it was so pathetic.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ulviel wrote: »
    Guardian of faith? What is that? Oh, now I remember, that daily I stopped using when I reached lvl 11 because it was so pathetic.

I call it "mcnuggets", because this daily's animation looks like a giant chicken descending from the sky and defecating viciously on my enemies.
  • Options
    uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't get why they nerfed Hammer that way. Maybe it was too powerful for DPS Cleric with high armor penetration, but that's it.
    They should have changed it in a way that Armor Penetration doesn't affect Hammer of Fate's damage.

And that Forgemaster nerf ? In silent ? What kind of devs are they ?

I don't care if we have to bump this topic everyday, but we need some reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    uri92 wrote: »
    I don't get why they nerfed Hammer that way. Maybe it was too powerful for DPS Cleric with high armor penetration, but that's it.
    They should have changed it in a way that Armor Penetration doesn't affect Hammer of Fate's damage.

And that Forgemaster nerf ? In silent ? What kind of devs are they ?

I don't care if we have to bump this topic everyday, but we need some reply.

Nah, changing one stat to make it completely useless for a cleric is just as wrong as nerfing hammer. Problem is that there was no, absolutely no reason to nerf it at all, devs probably did it just because ~certain~ vocal part of the playerbase would cry a river otherwise. Nerfs was just as pointless as -40% self-healing debuff.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Whit my full heal Dc i can tell you my healing skill sometimes suck . If i don't crit whit healing word in divine mode ( non crit heal for 4k ist :/ ) i can barely save someone. Last time in Malabog i did 9k crit healing whit healing word in divine mode, but the mob dealed 44k damage to that tr -.- so, what the point of heal 6-9k when the mob can do damage like a TR full vorpal x.x. After that, i'm prob going to switch my build to full def :/ at last i hope i wont get oneshotted if i reach 3-3,5k def :/ ( now whit 33% damage res i get oneshotted sometimes by storm shaman when my stamina is 0 and i can't dodge:( ). I hope, at last, they wont nerf DL now since do more damage then all the daily we have atm :/ Yeah is very funny use a DC now, we can only spam heal and dodge the deth :/