test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[CW] Introduce a magical item for players to optionally replace Steal Time

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
In short, Control Wizard has an useful control power called Steal Time, which stuns mobs. However, my control wizard's alignment is lawful-good so he doesn't want to be a stealer. Therefore he is unwilling to use Steal Time. But that causes an issue, without an efficient control power like that one, my wizard is unable to run most of epic dungeons.

It looks like introducing a new similar power or changing Steal Time's name is unlikely to happen. Then, alternatively, can we have a magical item which upon being activated will cast a similar spell? I looked up D&D resource books and found there are two powers whose effects are similar to Steal Time's. One is a level 13 encounter power from PHB; another one is a level 23 encounter power from Arcane Power.

So far we have some packs such as Hero of the North and Knight of the Feywild. How about adding a Control Wizard of Neverwinter pack and include the item in it? I wouldn't mind if the price is rather high. My wizard is really in dire need of a replacement for that Steal Time thing.
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I dont think just because a character is a control wizard, automatically makes them lawful good.

Thats on a character per character basis.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I dont think just because a character is a control wizard, automatically makes them lawful good.

Thats on a character per character basis.
    I defined the alignment for my control wizard.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Where? I don't even see any options for making char alignment.
  • Options
    desstzodesstzo Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2013
    it is very very very unlikely that they introduce an item/option/whatever just to cater those 0,0000000001% of players that are actually concerned with that

just pretend it is named something else and all problems are solved

Ah well
    -Desstzo
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Where? I don't even see any options for making char alignment.
    I defined it myself.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a question for you, since you are so adamant about your Lawful-Good alignment. By what right are you going into the underdark, into the home of the drow race, slaughtering their military forces? Every day you commit genocide in the name of all that is lawful and good, but when you are in the realm of the drow, you are bound by their laws are you not? and yet you persist in breaking them. Or are you holding yourself to a higher purpose? you only obey the laws of the deity, well, I think Lolth would have something to say about that also. Or is it just because the 'good human' told you to go and slaughter the 'evil drow'?

Your arguement is flawed.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Steal time is a name....

If you're seriously fretting over a name that much just don't level it up.

In Shakespeare's famous words, would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet? It's a name. It could have been called "Borrow Time" or "Slow Time" and it would have been no different!
    Would you not buy a sweet smelling rose that somebody called a Poopy Plant?

But if you're so into it that it bothers you that much...
    Do what you did with alignment and rename it yourself. You didn't need the developers to dictate that you're Lawful Good and you don't need the Developers to rename the spell to Borrow Time or Slow Time. >.<
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just want to post this here, because it sums up my feelings quite well, and I am sure, that of a great many other people..

Lawful Stupid, these people may call themselves Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Good but they lean toward such rigid adherence to the law that anybody who breaks any law, anywhere, for any reason, is the enemy. Even saying an unkind word to someone is an act of pure evil, and the Lawful Stupid can and will act as Judge, Jury, and Executioner. That is why they are called Lawful Stupid, not Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil.

Woe be to the fellow party member who fails to live up to their obsessive-compulsive standards. If the thief so much as jaywalks, Mr. Lawful Stupid will insist on turning him in to the "proper authorities" (regardless of what alignment said authorities are), or even execute him on the spot. Then he'll berate the other members of his party for "condoning" the thief's behavior, and may turn on them as well. This makes this guy highly irritating as well as stupid for turning in his only allies. For newbie DMs, the best solution is usually a blunt force object applied to the head of the offending character -- if not the player.

In tabletop roleplaying games, it's such a common behavior for paladins (see Leeroy Jenkins) that it seems this is what everyone expects paladins to do these days. In fact, it's so common that the Dungeons & Dragons Sourcebook Book of Exalted Deeds spends a good number of pages explaining how to be Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good without being a dimwit. The creators themselves got sick of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As a roleplayer.

If your character is Lawful Good, and feels that way about the spell.
    Why use it?

My characters dont use abilities that dont fit them. Regardless of thier usefulness or utility. I play my character in how they are.

If the character is Lawful good. Then if they feel that way about the ability, they shouldnt be using it in the first place.

instead of generalizing that ability for every control wizard. Not every class and character will have the same alignment as yours.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    I have a question for you, since you are so adamant about your Lawful-Good alignment. By what right are you going into the underdark, into the home of the drow race, slaughtering their military forces? Every day you commit genocide in the name of all that is lawful and good, but when you are in the realm of the drow, you are bound by their laws are you not? and yet you persist in breaking them. Or are you holding yourself to a higher purpose? you only obey the laws of the deity, well, I think Lolth would have something to say about that also. Or is it just because the 'good human' told you to go and slaughter the 'evil drow'?

Regarding defeating Drow, I had a discussion with some players and concluded that doing so has no problem. Please see this thread.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is pedantry at it's finest. Well done sir!
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have so missed alignment threads. Do I have any points to add? I suppose I have a few.

- Play the way you enjoy it.
    - Respect how others play.
    - Find and associate with players you get along with.

Anyone's interpretation of alignment is fine by me. I have one myself for when I roleplay, and I'm pretty particular about it. I think my interpretation makes sense in being consistent with our real-life modern/western ideas of what's good, what's bad, and all that; and still works inside a fantasy setting full of magic and big bad planar nasties. I recognize others will disagree, and may even reasonably not like mine at all. That's okay; there's no rule that says we all must interpret it the same. It only becomes a problem when we interact, and in that case reasonable well-intentioned people will either figure out how to get along, or amicably part ways.
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Given that you're the only person who's so concerned with this ianthewizard, don't count on it ever happening. Pedantry indeed!
  • Options
    zaodonnzaodonn Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    I just want to post this here, because it sums up my feelings quite well, and I am sure, that of a great many other people..

Lawful Stupid, these people may call themselves Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Good but they lean toward such rigid adherence to the law that anybody who breaks any law, anywhere, for any reason, is the enemy. Even saying an unkind word to someone is an act of pure evil, and the Lawful Stupid can and will act as Judge, Jury, and Executioner. That is why they are called Lawful Stupid, not Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil.

Woe be to the fellow party member who fails to live up to their obsessive-compulsive standards. If the thief so much as jaywalks, Mr. Lawful Stupid will insist on turning him in to the "proper authorities" (regardless of what alignment said authorities are), or even execute him on the spot. Then he'll berate the other members of his party for "condoning" the thief's behavior, and may turn on them as well. This makes this guy highly irritating as well as stupid for turning in his only allies. For newbie DMs, the best solution is usually a blunt force object applied to the head of the offending character -- if not the player.

In tabletop roleplaying games, it's such a common behavior for paladins (see Leeroy Jenkins) that it seems this is what everyone expects paladins to do these days. In fact, it's so common that the Dungeons & Dragons Sourcebook Book of Exalted Deeds spends a good number of pages explaining how to be Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good without being a dimwit. The creators themselves got sick of it.

To the OP:

According to you, you define Lawful Good as:
    - Killing an "evil" monster and taking their loot = OK
    - Casting a spell which steals time, IN ORDER to kill the evil monster and take thier loot = not OK

I think you don't understand what "Lawful Good" means. Lawful good people steal, commit crimes, and kill beings and take their stuff all the time. That's what Lawful good means - to kill, steal, commit crimes. Oh, but they just use different labels, like "rescuing", "stopping evil before it takes over", "liberating resources for the good of mankind", etc. Its still killing, stealing and committing other crimes.

So, remember, Lawful good means "kill, steal and commit crimes", just make sure you say its "for the greater good" while you do it, and you're A-OK.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why can't my neutral almost evil TR stab Knox in the groin while laughing hysterically?

I DEMMAND the devs to make an item so i can KILL Knox.

NAO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    Why can't my neutral almost evil TR stab Knox in the groin while laughing hysterically?

I DEMMAND the devs to make an item so i can KILL Knox.

NAO!

This sounds like a job for the Foundry!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zaodonn wrote: »
    To the OP:

According to you, you define Lawful Good as:
    - Killing an "evil" monster and taking their loot = OK
    - Casting a spell which steals time, IN ORDER to kill the evil monster and take thier loot = not OK

I think you don't understand what "Lawful Good" means. Lawful good people steal, commit crimes, and kill beings and take their stuff all the time. That's what Lawful good means - to kill, steal, commit crimes. Oh, but they just use different labels, like "rescuing", "stopping evil before it takes over", "liberating resources for the good of mankind", etc. Its still killing, stealing and committing other crimes.

So, remember, Lawful good means "kill, steal and commit crimes", just make sure you say its "for the greater good" while you do it, and you're A-OK.
    With regard to loot, I would describe that by using "confiscate" or "sequestrate", instead of "steal". It's unlikely that evil enemies got the loot in a legitimate way so we take the loot and use it properly is okay.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That is incredibly... just... "oh, it's ok when I do it".

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

Would you not buy a sweet smelling rose that somebody called a Poopy Plant?

For once you made me laugh instead of frustrated. Thanks!
  • Options
    cailaincailain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    With regard to loot, I would describe that by using "confiscate" or "sequestrate", instead of "steal". It's unlikely that evil enemies got the loot in a legitimate way so we take the loot and use it properly is okay.

confiscate
    1. To seize (private property) for the public treasury. : You aren't donating all of your loot, so no, it's not confiscation. If you call it such, then you are stealing what you do not donate.

2. To seize by or as if by authority. : You have no authority to enter into peoples' homes and lands, kill them, and take what is theirs by right.

1. Seized by a government; appropriated. : You are not employed as a direct government authority. You are a hired thug. A Mercenary at best. One who sells their services to the city for pay.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    cailain wrote: »
    confiscate
    1. To seize (private property) for the public treasury. : You aren't donating all of your loot, so no, it's not confiscation. If you call it such, then you are stealing what you do not donate.

2. To seize by or as if by authority. : You have no authority to enter into peoples' homes and lands, kill them, and take what is theirs by right.

1. Seized by a government; appropriated. : You are not employed as a direct government authority. You are a hired thug. A Mercenary at best. One who sells their services to the city for pay.
    Okay. If there is an option to return those loot, I surely will do that. But there is no such an option.

Anyway it's unlikely that evil mobs got those loot in a legitimate way. And we need money to support our journey in order to save Neverwinter and its nearby cities so taking those loot and using them to support our journey is okay imho.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That's very chaotic of you.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    . . . .Anyway it's unlikely that evil mobs got those loot in a legitimate way. . .

Unlikely but possible. By blindly assuming that all evil mobs must steal whatever loot they have, you run the risk of stealing their legitimately gained possessions. By not knowing this and not being able to prove or disprove ownership of said phat lootz, you are in effect just a common thief. Like them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    arabatur wrote: »
    Unlikely but possible. By blindly assuming that all evil mobs must steal whatever loot they have, you run the risk of stealing their legitimately gained possessions. By not knowing this and not being able to prove or disprove ownership of said phat lootz, you are in effect just a common thief. Like them.
    Maybe they didn't get the loot by steal, but surely was by plunder or something else illegal. Even if the loot were made by them, the sources of materials or the money they spent to buy the materials were acquired illegally.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Unless you have conclusive proof of theft, the only true thief is you. Oh, and murderer!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    arabatur wrote: »
    Unless you have conclusive proof of theft, the only true thief is you. Oh, and murderer!
    I'm not being overbearing, but they are evil aligned mobs so you firstly have to prove that they would do things in good and legitimate ways otherwise your opinion is untenable.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm not being overbearing, but they are evil aligned mobs so you firstly have to prove that they would do things in good and legitimate ways otherwise your opinion is untenable.

The burden of proof is yours. All 1,999,999 of us don't care either way.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think Ianthewizard, that you are making some sweeping assumptions about the nature of evil beings..

This is what WoTC has to say about evil:
    The Evil Alignment

It is my right to claim what others possess.

Evil characters don’t necessarily go out of their way to hurt people, but they’re perfectly willing to take advantage of the weakness of others to acquire what they want.

Evil characters use rules and order to maximize personal gain. They don’t care whether laws hurt other people. They support institutional structures that give them power, even if that power comes at the expense of others’ freedom. Slavery and rigid caste structures are not only acceptable but desirable to evil characters, as long as they are in a position to benefit from them.

Being evil does not necessarily mean criminal. Being evil is simply the focus on personal gain without regard for others, as opposed to 'good' where you are expected to be focused on more altruistic pursuits.

The only time that evil fits with your perception, is chaotic evil.. which makes for a very small proportion of the world. In fact, I would say that the way you post on these forums, is very self serving and not in fitting with your alignment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion for the information.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Killing evil things is good, even in their territory. There is no confusion in this in D&D as by virtue of the alignment definitions 'good' is a defined and set perspective. It isn't a wishy washy concept that can shift with the perspective of the thinker.

Evil is evil, and that's all there is to it, from the societal scope.

The vast majority of drow in the underdark are evil. Exceptions only exist when the exceptional is desired, for story or whatnot. The laws of an evil society will almost certainly have elements of evil in them. No lawful good person would feel bound by evil laws.

If what you are suggesting was part of the D&D mindset Paladins couldn't do anything when confronting the lawful evil on their own turf, because after all those evil are being lawful on their own turf, right?

Yeah... that isn't how it would go down. That LG Paladin will do whatever he can to oppose LE beings, whether he is on their turf or not, the foul laws of the evil things be damned.