Options

[CW] Introduce a magical item for players to optionally replace Steal Time

13»

Comments

• Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey Devs!

I just saw the news about a new companion. And an idea which can wonderfully solve the issue suddenly came into my mind. Yes, COMPANION!

You could simply introduce a CW-only companion, such as a magical orb, which acts like an ioun stone and floats around its owner. It casts a spell similar to Steal Time about every 15 seconds after it reaches rank 30. And it is immune to damage so it doesn't die.

Imho this idea really can solve the issue. And you don't need to worry about programming for a magical item to make it fit into a consumable slot.

I can't believe I didn't think of this wonderful idea before.

It's a perfect solution, isn't it?

Pretty sure I've seen the 2.5-G Wayward Wiz companion cast Steal Time before (it's a similar animation, if nothing else). Your solution has existed since game began and is cheap.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds potentially overpowered.

That or it'll die too fast to be useful. One of the two.
    Well, usually CW players use Steal Time every 15~18 seconds (in combat) as well so the suggested cool down isn't too game breaking. And by using the (proposed) companion, one gives up using an augment companion. Therefore I guess it will be fair.

And just like augment companions, it doesn't take damage so it doesn't die.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've seen the 2.5-G Wayward Wiz companion cast Steal Time before (it's a similar animation, if nothing else). Your solution has existed since game began and is cheap.
    That's "Slow". And it has an issue with mobs who can run extremely fast. I had reported the issue in Bugs Reports.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well, usually CW players use Steal Time every 15~18 seconds (in combat) as well so the suggested cool down isn't too game breaking. And by using the (proposed) companion, one gives up using an augment companion. Therefore I guess it will be fair.

And just like augment companions, it doesn't take damage so it doesn't die.

Augment companions do not interact with enemies either. So having an invulnerable companion that can also cause damage won't happen. Plus you open up a can of worms to other classes demanding that they get a class specific, invulnerable companion as well.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    Augment companions do not interact with enemies either. So having an invulnerable companion that can also cause damage won't happen. Plus you open up a can of worms to other classes demanding that they get a class specific, invulnerable companion as well.
    They can make the (proposed) companion not dealing damage and only control mobs. I wouldn't care that because what I really need is the control effect.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    They can make the (proposed) companion not dealing damage and only control mobs. I wouldn't care that because what I really need is the control effect.

What you really WANT is the control effect. I've done plenty of t2/end game dungeons without even having speced into it. I'm not going to argue with the logic of your character, but if I were playing one of such an alignment, in a world where they were limited to the spells in which they could cast, s/he would abhor the idea of even using Steal Time and would never even consider learning or using it and find suitable ways to compensate for it.

But that's how I'd play it (and do, just without the roleplay aspect). Good luck, but I do not see them offering an invulnerable companion that can, in any way, interact with the environment around it more than mewing or making the wearer distracted (seriously, having an glowing orb constantly pass in and out of your Line of Sight has got to be giving our characters without cataracts giving characters a headache.)
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why would a lawful good wizard use a device, pet, or companion that uses a spell that he himself deems evil? Isnt that a bit like saying "I wont kill you, but my friend here will. As I do nothing at all to stop him" Or "I wont lay a hand on you, but Ill happily press the button on my murder machine"

No point in altering your strict rules at this point.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    (snip) s/he would abhor the idea of even using Steal Time and would never even consider learning or using it and find suitable ways to compensate for it.
    Could you provide some examples about the compensatory ways?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Why would a lawful good wizard use a device, pet, or companion that uses a spell that he himself deems evil? Isnt that a bit like saying "I wont kill you, but my friend here will. As I do nothing at all to stop him" Or "I wont lay a hand on you, but Ill happily press the button on my murder machine"

No point in altering your strict rules at this point.

The (proposed) companion casts a similar spell, but not Steal Time.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's not the same effect, but my halfling wiz enjoys ping-ponging mobs of enemies around by cycling between Repel on Tab and Shield Pulse on Q and hitting them with Conduit of Ice in between so the DoT wears them down as they try to run back to her. If you're just looking to keep enemies off you, doing that would still give you breathing room equivalent to several casts of Steal Time without infringing on your wiz's lawful goodness.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    It's not the same effect, but my halfling wiz enjoys ping-ponging mobs of enemies around by cycling between Repel on Tab and Shield Pulse on Q and hitting them with Conduit of Ice in between so the DoT wears them down as they try to run back to her. If you're just looking to keep enemies off you, doing that would still give you breathing room equivalent to several casts of Steal Time without infringing on your wiz's lawful goodness.
    And party members will need to chase mobs unhappily.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Could you provide some examples about the compensatory ways?

That's kind of a tough one to explain. How does the person who has never had chocolate milk in their life explain to someone how they've lived without it? They simply have XD. But here I go.

CWs, as I am making the assumption that you'll know this, are highly variable and our power sets can get adapted to different situations (given that we don't have someone interested in speed running without a breath / leeroy jenkins-ing.) But I shall do my best to explain why I don't use a spell that I've never used before and thus have never worked into a rotation.

It is a spell that, I assume and have seen mostly used, whent here are a large number of mobs that need corraled/sedated for any number of seconds. For me, I achieve similiar effects while dealing more damage through various means. The foremost of which is AP gain so that I can use either singularity where necessary, or more so these days, Oppressing force. If the need for AP gain is going to be vitally urgent, I'll slot entangling force into spell mastery. If it is not, I'll stick with chill strike in mastery, as it still returns decent AP as well as damage.

In PvE/trash clearing I tend to go all out offensive (I do reserve bubble for epic dungeons though), because I know most of these little grimlins won't kill me unless I screw up big time and get about four groups of them on me while all my encounters are on CD and I have no dailies (in dungeons I stick to the healer like glue. Its a symbiosis thing. Highly suggest it if you don't already.) In general, I've just never used Stealing Time and have never seen much of a reason to learn it, as I've grown up without it and have adapted a spell/playing style that avoids using it entirely. And I've never once been flamed at "y you no use steal timez?!"

...or RoE for that matter... didn't pick that one up either. And again, never been flamed or had a party aggravated at me for not having it. I still even have t1 gloves and boots (archmage, back when it was awesome. Been trying to fix that, /shakingoffistatDDchests) lol.

It's partly off topic, but I'm going to assume you don't use 4/4 HV either? Since its perk bonus is also theft and thus would go against your character's morals.

All of that aside, I do commend you on your efforts and I think it would feed into your character well. It seems like your character wants the rules slightly rewritten, the world slightly altered around him or for there to be a particular allotment for those of his mindset. Would make for good RP, but sadly, I still dont think that any of hte suggestions would be viable solutions. Altering your play style may just have to be your saving grace for your Wizard, less you scrap his Character Sheet.

So.... hope this helps? ^^;
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    syka08. I roughly got your point. That, daily powers become important when there is no Steal Time.

I should have mentioned that the situation I concern is epic dungeons. Though it's totally okay to not slot Steal Time while soloing, it's said to be not okay while doing epic dungeon delves. At least many forum members told me that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    In PvE/trash clearing I tend to go all out offensive (I do reserve bubble for epic dungeons though), because I know most of these little grimlins won't kill me unless I screw up big time and get about four groups of them on me while all my encounters are on CD and I have no dailies (in dungeons I stick to the healer like glue. Its a symbiosis thing. Highly suggest it if you don't already.)

Okay, so I didn't as specifically state it as I thought, but I DO run t2/end game. Trash clearing in t2/end game is a lot like PvE (in my mind) except you've got a lot more (necessary) support. But I really do not change my power sets until we get to a boss, and even then my dailies tend to stay fixed with Sing/EF. It is entirely possible that my game could be improved with Steal Time, but I've gotten through just about everything without it so far, without being grieved.

Best of luck.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Okay, so I didn't as specifically state it as I thought, but I DO run t2/end game. Trash clearing in t2/end game is a lot like PvE (in my mind) except you've got a lot more (necessary) support. But I really do not change my power sets until we get to a boss, and even then my dailies tend to stay fixed with Sing/EF. It is entirely possible that my game could be improved with Steal Time, but I've gotten through just about everything without it so far, without being grieved.

Best of luck.
    That's awesome. Sounds like we totally can run epic dungeons without Steal Time. I wish I could see videos of how you do that in each epic dungeon.

I can run epic The Cloak Tower and Cragmire Cyripts without Steal Time. But after several party wipes at the second boss of epic Lair of the Mad Dragon, I basically gave up and I felt sorry to my parties because I didn't have an useful control power like Steal Time.