test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Neverwinter giving away Hero of North Spider Mounts?

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I thought despite the promotion not ending, weeks, months ago like it was supposed to. I'm talking about the exciting, Hero of the North. Where they promised week after week, the closer it got to actual launch that the promotion would cease to exist.

I know this because of a massive timer, with words in all capital "hurry up before its too late" I can excuse them expanding the promotion, bu simply removing the "Founders Title" now they are "giving away" spider mounts. Mounts that were one of the few important things worth buying the 200 dollar promotion.

Why exactly do this, few months into the game. Out of all the promotions, you could could promoted a giant bear give away. Now the lock-boxes contain not only a spider mount, that's only supposed be accessed if you had Hero of the North, but a spider companion on top of that.

Is this simple case of dev's not wanting to design new artwork or what. I thought lock boxes were supposed contain something unique, much like last mount was very rare and hard to get. (I already have a spider mount) why would you give away these mounts, instead of making a new one.
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They aren't the same mount. The HotN mount is bigger and it is rank 3. The new one is smaller and is rank 2.
  • bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I believe it is a different spider mount. Like the Drow they released. It's a different drow.
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's a different mount. I think it's kind of unreasonable to expect that they can't release any for of spider mount even if it's completely different.
  • slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They're currently giving away nightmare mounts. Or at least they were, for a brief period.
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    They aren't the same mount. The HotN mount is bigger and it is rank 3. The new one is smaller and is rank 2.

Why couldn't they picked another animal. If the animal, we all are going be unlocking the lock boxes for the next several months, is a spider, rank 2. I'd like to opt out. It's supposed to be some mega rare mount, that we cannot get normally or through any promotion.

Fact they made the mount smaller, still an issue its a mount in itself. I have a spider, rank 3 mount. Whats purpose of me unlocking lock boxes then to obtain. Secondly, out of all of the animals. Why make the unique mount as a spider, rank 2.

It just seems a tad too close to Hero of North. I actually bought the promotion pack. I can switch from spider and other mount. I wish they would detail the difference, because if we're looking at models alone. Then there isn't much difference.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can understand the irritation, but I'm happy with a 110% mount over any rank 2, whether it looks like my spider or not. However, I do understand the irritation.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's the same with the Knight of the feywild pack or whatever itis called , they get a unicorn however there is a much better looking armored unicorn coming out soon as you can see in this datamined screenshots . http://imgur.com/a/v4G90
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Seriously? You expected spider mounts, regardless of appearance, to remain completely exclusive to HotN founders, forever and for the life of the game. Even knowing that there would be a another version of Drow? This seems reasonable to you?
  • caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    It's the same with the Knight of the feywild pack or whatever itis called , they get a unicorn however there is a much better looking armored unicorn coming out soon as you can see in this datamined screenshots . http://imgur.com/a/v4G90

Looks less like a Unicorn and more like a Goat.

As for the OP, it looks different.

I got the lesser founder pack which had an armoured horse, does that mean that they should never add armoured mounts?
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OP is horrendously selfish and elitist without even realizing it.
  • drdoodlemandrdoodleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Seriously? You expected spider mounts, regardless of appearance, to remain completely exclusive to HotN founders, forever and for the life of the game. Even knowing that there would be a another version of Drow? This seems reasonable to you?

Not all spider mounts, just the exact same model and animations with a bit of a skin change? Go make some new cooler spider mount, reskinning exclusive stuff is a bad, lazy move that will just drive down sale of said exclusive items.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?841-The-Lower-Depths
    If you want a real look at the state of the game/customer service, check out the forum where they move all the "deleted"/banned "spam"
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So, uhm... where exactly is this other spider mount anyway? The page said it was in the wondrous bazaar. But I can't seem to find it. Am I blind, or was it delayed?
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OK, so the lockboxes contain a stag mount, and a sort-of were-spider-thingy companion. So you're already wrong right off the bat.

There is a spider mount available for a large amount of astral diamonds (so hardly "giving away"), but it's an 80% movement one and a different colour from the HotN one.

And guess what? There's going to be a Zen store unicorn mount and there's already an armored war horse mount for Zen as well, and both are arguably cooler-looking than the ones from the packs.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Where is the spider mount available for AD?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    So, uhm... where exactly is this other spider mount anyway? The page said it was in the wondrous bazaar. But I can't seem to find it. Am I blind, or was it delayed?

Huh. I was looking at it earlier but now I can't find it either. At first I thought maybe I was mistaken and it was a trade bars thing, but not there, just the trade bar stag mounts and spider companions (not the same as from the lockbox, but in that theme).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Why are HotN's such special entities that they have the exclusive rights to the spider mount? Where did it ever say that a spider mount would only be available in the HotN pack?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Huh. I was looking at it earlier but now I can't find it either. At first I thought maybe I was mistaken and it was a trade bars thing, but not there, just the trade bar stag mounts and spider companions (not the same as from the lockbox, but in that theme).

Hmm... Maybe they pulled it for some reason. Ok, at least I'm not the only one that can't find it. Thanks!
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • indoril123indoril123 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »

IIRC, the drow in the Forgotten Realms don't ride spiders. Spiders are revered! They ride giant lizards, last I checked.

Not that this is actually relevant to the thread in any way. :3
  • hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2013
    Yea, I'm with sockmunkey on this one. Internet games aren't static. Also, $200 isn't enough for me to expect any kind of long-term exclusivity.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you got to realize pwe thinks noble finery and mask regalia are completely different also even though noble finery is basically the same just less puffy sleves and a different color scheme. the new spiders are gold and brown the old ones are black gold and red...this is COMPLETLY different. im just waiting on the blackunicorn and white panther pets now.

its fine I respect that the gold spiders wern't in cash store the first day. we got 3 months to be leet......*hops on her unicorn and rides away her red and black spider sobs* the thing is this game pay content is just to feel leet its only mildly exclusive. and it really doesn't guarantee a win,

I don't mind. Im happy we are getting more variety the more thigs that are out there the less people will look like me.
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I bought the Hero's pack. As long as any new Spider they come out with isn't exactly the same in color/size etc., I really don't care if they have other variants of spider mounts. The Hero Pack didn't say "there will be no other types of spider mounts, ever!" Only that the spider you were getting with that pack was exclusive to that pack. Subject to interpretation, but I saw it as color/design exclusivity, not the animal itself.

Also, they aren't being "given" away. They do cost something...especially if one wanted to turn it into a purple Epic mount.
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Who wants an 80 speed mount anyway.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ill take one
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    People that want a spider mount that don't have the HotN pack would be the ones wanting it.
    edited August 2013
    that is correct, I am in need of something faster then stinking horse for 5 gold
    edited August 2013
    did I hear giving away ?
    Where?
  • moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't see what the problem is, I've always wanted a spider mount but $200 is a little too much. I think it's great that they are selling a spider mount at an affordable price. I haven't seen one on the live server yet, but if it looks nice I'll be buying one myself and upgrade it to rank 3 c:
  • chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Perfect World Entertainment where nothing is sacred. They have done this in all their games. Lure you to buy "exclusive" "super rare" items only to literally give the exact same thing or near equivalent to all players weeks later.

In fact, the only thing you can absolutely count on is that they will ALWAYS devalue your rare exotic item sooner or later. With PWE games there is no such thing as rare. Just learn that & never expect it & you'll be ahead of the game.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    I couldn't afford one at the time the HOTN packs came out, so I'm kinda glad these are here now.

They aren't quite as cool looking, but they're still pretty awesome. It's the animations that make em spectacular.

Still, I'm not going to buy one.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Have you guys gone into the game to see the mount? You can preview it at the stables.

It is TINY. TEENY TINY!

They never said they would never release another spider mount. However when I looked at the mount in the screenshots, as a Hero of the North purchaser, I was a little perturbed but when actually saw it in game it is TINY!

I really can't stress enough how tiny this thing is. It's probably not as long as a half-orc laying down. I'm honestly not bothered by it one bit.