What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are character models so ugly?

Comments

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only thing I can think of for the hair restrictions is that someone thinks/decided that the longer hairstyles might clip too much (or be obvious about clipping) on player characters. Total guess, though.
  • Options
    whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @Zebular Little bias there? As funny as this sounds, You need to get out and play other games to have a better base of comparison.

Cosmetic's are lacking and so are the colors. Why can't we have BOLD colors for hair and make-up? It's a fantasy game that is trying to be overly realistic with it's design. I want my avatar to have bright, bold, red hair. Well, I want purple, but that might be pushing it. Why can't I make my Half-Ork CW a fatty with curves? Then again, I don't know of any game that lefts you make a full on fat character, lol. With the lack of effective customization sliders, very bland gear, and pale colors, I can't shell out money to support the game. I am enjoying because it is free. However, I don't think it is worth spending real money on.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *****gut wrote: »
    Cosmetic's are lacking and so are the colors. Why can't we have BOLD colors for hair and make-up? It's a fantasy game that is trying to be overly realistic with it's design. I want my avatar to have bright, bold, red hair. Well, I want purple, but that might be pushing it.

Well, like you said, they seem to be trying to be at least a bit "realistic". So expecting anything like TERA, or Aion.... never gonna happen. /shrug
    Why can't I make my Half-Ork CW a fatty with curves? Then again, I don't know of any game that lefts you make a full on fat character, lol.

Saint's Row. :) Not a fan of the games, but I loved playing with the free "design a character" program they released before SR3 came out.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, like you said, they seem to be trying to be at least a bit "realistic". So expecting anything like TERA, or Aion.... never gonna happen. /shrug

Saint's Row. :) Not a fan of the games, but I loved playing with the free "design a character" program they released before SR3 came out.

If you know a few tricks with the Character Creator in Champs. you can make a fairly portly toon. Then again, you can make a pot-bellied toon in THIS game if you play around with things a bit. Just max. the waist slider and min. the other "Bulk" sliders, giving you a toon with match-stick arms and legs, a sunken chest, narrow shoulders, and a pronounced gut. Most of the costumes will hide this a fair bit, but it DOES work.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    @Zebular Little bias there? As funny as this sounds, You need to get out and play other games to have a better base of comparison.

Cosmetic's are lacking and so are the colors. Why can't we have BOLD colors for hair and make-up? It's a fantasy game that is trying to be overly realistic with it's design. I want my avatar to have bright, bold, red hair. Well, I want purple, but that might be pushing it. Why can't I make my Half-Ork CW a fatty with curves? Then again, I don't know of any game that lefts you make a full on fat character, lol. With the lack of effective customization sliders, very bland gear, and pale colors, I can't shell out money to support the game. I am enjoying because it is free. However, I don't think it is worth spending real money on.
    . . . . . I have played nearly every MMO under the sun. I am not comparing this game to non-MMOs as that is just silly in my opinion. Besides, as I said - tastes are subjective and I enjoy the graphics for Neverwinter very much so. That is not bias, that is called an opinion, which we all are free to have our own. Besides, did you read my post in its entirety? I even went on about a few flaws I find with the models myself, just as you have. I play with my graphics at maximum almost all the time, save for bloom, post-processing, and shadows and do not see any jagged edges. 8x anti-aliasing is really nice.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Zebular Community Moderator.
    Yes, I would say you are a little bias.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Armor graphics are craptastic. Why should the character models be any different?
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think the character models are nice. The faces are well done (expressive and not uncanny-looking) and characters' bodies are actually proportionally correct, even for women. Just wish male humans / elves / half-elves could get a little more TLC for their faces -- it's hard to make a good-looking man in this game. Jawbones are too square, eyes look angry, overall they look very severe all the time.... I should be able to make a youngish, cheerful-looking male human TR if I want to, shouldn't I? But it's hard to do so.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Armor graphics are craptastic. Why should the character models be any different?

I disagree, the armor, especially the high end T1 and T2 gear, is beautifully detailed. I might not like all the models, or styles (Not one single covered middrift for any female wizards, really?) But the details and graphics are awesome. They are far more detailed then just a texture layer and bump map. The high end stuff is absolutely lavished with all kinds of actual polygon bits, do-dads, and the like.

Just wish there was more of it, much more. The detail is lacking on lower level sets and there simply isn't enough of it for anyone to really stand out.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ^ This is true. The armor is well detailed, but there just isn't very much variety. There isn't anything that really makes them pop. Why do I have to be level capped and farming endgame T2 gear to have something that looks nice? As you are leveling it doesn't seem like the armor ever changes. I wouldn't have noticed some of the little details if I didn't take some of the armor off. Pants and shirts always have the same skins and hide some of these details.
    The armor has nice close in detail, but generally it all looks very similar.
    Also, just because I can, the female in this game have no butt, NONE.

Shall we even rant about the weapon skins???
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The models look like CO models which was incredibly ugly, couldn't stand the co models
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »

(Also, Eastern f2p games tend to go overboard on the Sexy Babe characters. Cryptic is a US dev.)

Yup, and any business or economics class you will learn sex sells. Really don't need a class for that, just watch some ads on TV.
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    I really wish the male characters didn't look so constipated all the time. I really wanted to make a character who's a happy-go-lucky, friendly guy, and all I could pretty much get was somebody who looked like they wanted to eat babies.

I understand we're building warriors, and they should look tough, but with a site so heavy on RP factors, we should really be able to figure out personalities other then Stabby McMuderface.

I'm saving this quote just because it's so hilarious.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I wonder how much of the community RPs in the game. I know many MMO have an RP server, but this game doesn't. It is true, when all the characters look a like, who can you RP a personality?
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wonder how much of the community RPs in the game. I know many MMO have an RP server, but this game doesn't. It is true, when all the characters look a like, who can you RP a personality?
    Lots of people RP in NW, specially with the foundry, it's a great place to make some RPing places.
    The character faces just need more effective sliders (the mouth cna go from ridiculously low, to a somewhat centered, but no option to make it more close to the nose). Elf eyes need an option to not look like aliens, that kind of stuff. Also eyes need to have an option to be lower in the face. I think hust with those few options faces would look 100x better.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like the modeling just fine. The "good" results are almost always unintentional. My DC looks like a combination of sheriff bullock from deadwood and james hetfield, my tr like jayda fire, and my gf like tom hardy in bronson. :P
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are some weird things about the character models. I noticed that my half elf cleric has this odd scowl on his face, and it looks like his head is permanently cocked forward - kinda like you were stretching your head forward w/ your chin pointing out.

I've also noticed since the last patch that some of my characters ride their horse with their hands a lot wider apart than they used to have.

I'd also like to see the devs address the multitude of clipping issues. The festival dress/bottom for women clips horribly just from running around!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    In their defense, they did fix a lot of major clipping issues with capes and skirts a while back. Skirts still clip through legs some, but not nearly as badly compared to when they clipped through your entire pelvis to stick behind your legs. D:

The male models just tend to look...well, constipated, as has been said.... You can make a good-looking man, but it's hard; their expressions can be odd. I've seen a few really natural-looking unscowly male characters, but I can't figure out how to make one myself.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Anyone noticed the tweaker chick they used for the event? When I open the launcher I have to see that fugly looking meth head. ****, does this game have some ugly and very uncreative character model sliders.
  • Options
    zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I agree lol, tried everything in my power to not make the mouth look weird, but it's unchangeable. (male char) And the wood elves for example, always look pissed as hell. :p
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    I really wish the male characters didn't look so constipated all the time. I really wanted to make a character who's a happy-go-lucky, friendly guy, and all I could pretty much get was somebody who looked like they wanted to eat babies.

I understand we're building warriors, and they should look tough, but with a site so heavy on RP factors, we should really be able to figure out personalities other then Stabby McMuderface.

This made me laugh :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    I agree lol, tried everything in my power to not make the mouth look weird, but it's unchangeable. (male char) And the wood elves for example, always look pissed as hell. :p

Most of them look like an unimpressed Vulcan crossed with a very angry cat. ;)

Been thinking of making a male wood elf GWF when I save up some AD for the slots, should be fun to make. (I hope.)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    Most of them look like an unimpressed Vulcan crossed with a very angry cat. ;)

Been thinking of making a male wood elf GWF when I save up some AD for the slots, should be fun to make. (I hope.)

Ooooh, you're gonna have a bad time :P
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Its a free to play game what do you expect better design then a sub game or Pay to play game?
  • Options
    furion192furion192 Member Posts: 187 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The bad facial look every character has, can be quite uncomfortable though, but if they make armors more unique it would be comfortable for everyone's eyes. This is an american, and korean,japanese/asian games are most likely to have awesome/sexy characters and cool armors than western characters. I am not saying that asians are better, what I mean is western game's characters are more realistic than asian's character, because asians rly makes an effort to make males cool and females rly hot, with awesome armors for males and strip armor for females and that makes it more unrealistic than the western.
    SIGNATURE
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The rough modeling is in the overall nature of the game. NW most definitely doesn't take its self too seriously. Look at the voice acting, the female orc lol. Linkletters wife...so much comedy in this game... It is a bit of a parody of its self while being a fun action game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Its a free to play game what do you expect better design then a sub game or Pay to play game?

Dragon Prophet is a free game and it's character sliders are far better. The game does have the Dungeon and Dragons title to it, might not follow any of the lore. So, it should have better sliders to make unique characters.
  • Options
    milevualmilevual Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dragon Prophet is a free game and it's character sliders are far better. The game does have the Dungeon and Dragons title to it, might not follow any of the lore. So, it should have better sliders to make unique characters.

Of course it has far better character sliders, it's an SoE MMO~
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    milevual wrote: »
    Of course it has far better character sliders, it's an SoE MMO~

It was made by Runewaker, pick up by SOE AFTER it was already released. Don't forget it's in open beta and is dying fast.
  • Options
    milevualmilevual Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ah well, SoE is still **** good company, can't wait for Everquest Next to save us from the poor performance Neverwinter and SWTOR has given us (I still play and enjoy both, but definitely enjoy Guild Wars 2 more than any mmo I have ever played) thinking Everquest Next will have a bit of that Guild Wars 2 flavor with other nice mixes/combonations~