gold seller spamming

Comments

• Options
    zaodonnzaodonn Member Posts: 109
    edited August 2013
    Character and account names:
    - cannot contain: / \ ( ) [ ] ! @ # $ % ^ & * _ + = { } | ? : ; " < >
    - cannot contain two of: . (period)
    - cannot contain a URL. Code to detect URLs can be found here: http://www.regexguru.com/2008/11/detecting-urls-in-a-block-of-text/ You can modify this as needed.

Chat:
    - no chat message can contain: / \ |
    - the maximum rate anyone can post a chat message to Emotes, tell, say, zone, and custom channels, is 1 message every 3 seconds (party and guild are excluded here)
    - prevent URLs in Zone, Say and custom channels (see above for link) (allowed in party, guild and tell)
    - No character can chat in Zone chat until level 10

I think that should do it.

Approximate development time: 4-6 hours (with code review and documentation)
    Approximate QA time: 2-4 hours (with automation and regression)
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yep, I'm very tired of seeing the gold sellers with their website as a name, standing on top of mailboxes waving their arms around.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It will not do much good. It sounds like you are trying to stop the gold spammers, who (having been thwarted somewhat by PWE's code already) are currently making new toons named "www.getNWgoldz.com" (fake example) and just letting their name be the ad for their website?

If you have not noticed, they find ways around any set of rules you can create unless the rules are extremely heavy handed. The above idiot would just change it getnwgoldzdotcom. The mail spam remains
    w
    w
    w
    g
    e

etc ..... they have gone sideways to go around the filter.

I am amazed they have not made a foundry where all you do when going in is talk to an NPC that gives you the URL. Then have all their bots play it and review it as 5 star to sucker people in. Its probably coming soon.

Anyway, the ideas are not bad, but like hacking and other issues, make all the rules you want, they WILL find a way around them and at some point the creation of new limitations becomes too much effort and too much burden on the real players to make it stronger...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sorry, but its just not true. There are several games which have successfully eliminated gold farmers. DDO is one of them.

Rather than try to combat them generically, what DDO did was add code designed solely to detect their website names, since obviously, those can't, in the end, change. Sure you can use "dot" instead of ".", and you can try to use \/\/ instead of a W, but in the end, you run out of ways to spell your website name, and with dedicated code to each website, DDO shut them all down.

For this game, URL detection + rate-of-post-limit + level 10 requirement for zone chat = very reduced gold spamming.
  • Options
    reefareefa Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2013
    zaodonn wrote: »
    Character and account names:
    - cannot contain: / \ ( ) [ ] ! @ # $ % ^ & * _ + = { } | ? : ; " < >
    - cannot contain two of: . (period)
    - cannot contain a URL. Code to detect URLs can be found here: http://www.regexguru.com/2008/11/detecting-urls-in-a-block-of-text/ You can modify this as needed.
    This I agree with 100%

Chat:
    - no chat message can contain: / \ | No reason to take away. I often use backslash when comparing things, I would "probably" quit any game that prohibits me from using commonly used keys on my keyboard.
    - the maximum rate anyone can post a chat message to Emotes, tell, say, zone, and custom channels, is 1 message every 3 seconds (party and guild are excluded here) This is pretty stupid, you're on a somewhat decent track but being way to strict about it. Not everyone wants to type multiple sentences together in 1 message so we split it up. Now what I think should be suggested is : "The maximum rate anyone can post the same exact same message is 3 seconds. Example being: "hi guys" then 3 seconds later "hi guys" message blocked appears. Where as "hi guys" then 3 seconds later "whats up?" No message gets blocked... The kind of system you suggested will only enrage people and work against the community as a whole instead of focusing on the bots. :D The real problem is people pressing (up) to instantly retype whatever they said last, not people who converse quickly.
    - prevent URLs in Zone, Say and custom channels (see above for link) (allowed in party, guild and tell)
    - No character can chat in Zone chat until level 10 - I'm mixed about this one simply because it limits the options new players have to acquire help. And the fact I personally think getting to level 10 or even higher is a much too easy task for any bot lol

I think that should do it.

Approximate development time: 4-6 hours (with code review and documentation)
    Approximate QA time: 2-4 hours (with automation and regression) Lol at how easy you make this sound, don't over-estimate developers and unforseen problems.

/ \ ( ) [ ] ! @ # $ % ^ & * _ + = { } | ? : ; " < >
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *Something* definitely needs to be done.

The exact implementation can be adjusted as needed.

They should up the minimum level to use zone to like 10 or so. Additionally, they should implement a minimum 24 hr real-time limit on zone as well - so your account must have been in existence for 24 hours AND your character must be at least level 10.

Beyond that, I also support the limit on non-letter characters in names. 1 period and 1-2 apostrophes should suffice.

A limit on the maximum rate of typing into ZONE should be implemented, but other channels can be left alone. People shouldn't be having full conversations in Zone, anyway...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One post every 5s at most on zone chat would solve most of the issues, since we can silence people with /spam reports.

It's a bit sad to forbid dots ans stuff like that in names. That's a bit harmless. If you see a dancing girl with a goldseller name you may just ignore it. Not much of an issue.
  • Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Having a delay between posts would help with those who aren't gold sellers as well, but just annoying people who feel the need to repeat themselves in 7-8 lines.
  • Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Disable zone chat and the name above head display. Problem solved in about five seconds.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    Disable zone chat and the name above head display. Problem solved in about five seconds.

The most stupid solution ive seen in years... *sigh*
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

This I strongly disagree with. At least the custom channels part. I post URLs in various custom channels at least once a day to help people and inform people on what is going.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    This I strongly disagree with. At least the custom channels part. I post URLs in various custom channels at least once a day to help people and inform people on what is going.

Them: "Hey, how do you do crafting?"
    You: "I will PM you a link to the wiki"
    /tell Them http://neverwinter.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Wiki is a good resource

Or, you can have bots auto-join your channel and spam the !@#$%^&amp;* out of it. Your choice.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Chat:
    - no chat message can contain: / \ |
    with that you would disable many useful commands included /spam report
    - the maximum rate anyone can post a chat message to Emotes, tell, say, zone, and custom channels, is 1 message every 3 seconds (party and guild are excluded here)
    This would do nothing to stop gold spammers and would anoy those legit players that like to chat very much
    there are legitimate, useful urls that the players can want to comunicate each other
    - No character can chat in Zone chat until level 10
    you are draconian : kill them all and the Lord will sort them afterwards
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Them: "Hey, how do you do crafting?"
    You: "I will PM you a link to the wiki"
    /tell Them http://neverwinter.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Wiki is a good resource

Or, you can have bots auto-join your channel and spam the !@#$%^&amp;* out of it. Your choice.

And when I want to show everyone in the channel something?

Also, good luck to bots joining a private channel. Unless one of the owner/admins of the channel adds them, they aren't getting in.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    with that you would disable many useful commands included /spam reportThis would do nothing to stop gold spammers and would anoy those legit players that like to chat very muchthere are legitimate, useful urls that the players can want to comunicate each other
    you are draconian : kill them all and the Lord will sort them afterwards

1. it would not prevent /commands. Derp?
    2. 1 message every 3 seconds would never affect any real human being. Ever. At all. Not even a little.
    3. There is never a reason to post a URL in zone or say. Ever. If someone asks a question in zone, /tell them the url.
    4. 99.9999999999999999999% of MMORPGs have such a limit. Neverwinter has a /tell limit at level 10!!!!! Derp.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It has become annoying to have to use report spam/ignore player in Zone Chat and still see a new one spamming every other minute

Can we please have chat flood-detect implemented and possibly autoban/auto ignore?

You can't search too often in AH, so it should be forbidden to spam the Zone chat...

thank you...
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you enlighten me, how this spam auto ignore/ban would work? Because right now I can imagine numerous players being permabanned, because they didn't do anything wrong... oh wait, it's already happening. What you are offering is actually going to make things worse.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Surely it would be trivial to ensure that any toon can only send messages to /Zone once every 15 seconds. Wouldn't solve the issue of spam-bots, but would make them less annoying.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Doesn't a player who gets reported as spam or ignored a certain number of times muted? I thought this was already in effect?
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    +1 tired of spam
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Something needs to happen. Zone chat was more flooded than i have ever seen with gold spam last night. Other MMO's have had sucess with filtering that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out, so I'm sure the Cryptic Spam God's will get it handled sooner or later.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You really needed to put up a ridiculous waste of a poll up for this?
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »

^ this

edited August 2013

+1

Should be auto banned for abusing the poll function.
    10PM CST

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    LOL guys. I think the OP is just frustrated by the spam. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks came back and logged in last night and I could hardly read anything else in Zone chat. It has definitely increased significantly in the past 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I am against a flat delay. Short ones are meaningless (10 gold spammers hitting chat at 10 or even 30 second delay is still too often). Long ones make it difficult to communicate if you, say, answer a **** question or something.

I would FOR a smart system that say compared your chat statement against the last 10 you made and if they are the same (within some metrics) locks your chat for 5 min. The metrics would need to be worked out but entropy would be a good starting point. Combine this with a limit over time (say no more than 6 messages per min, that is like one every 10 seconds without the delay, so one can post 2 or 3 sentences in a row without delay).

Also emotes should be limited the same way. Should be actually (zone, emote, say) channels for sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    really. they filtered noub but allow gold spam?
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

^^ this poll is very biased. Yes something needs to be done but not what was suggested.

Say i if you have 3-5 messages in under a second or 2 then ok makes sense to get like a 10-15 min mute max. ANd even that is on the extreme side, but not banned based on that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The gold spamming is getting much worse it seems. I enjoy reading zone chat. Finding groups via zone chat in prot enclave. Selling keys, buying things for gold etc. Last night I had enough and just logged off though after an endless barrage of gold spammers. I realize it is hard to "control" them because this is a f2p game that allows people to make unlimited accounts etc. Here are a few thoughts that would at least partially fix or put a good band aid on the situation with minimal effort from pw.

The easiest/best idea in my mind would be that something could be implemented where only one thing of text can be sent from a person once every 5-10 seconds. This way, the spammers could spam once only instead of mashing whatever button they use over and over to make a huge wall of text that totally overwhelms everything in the zone. I mean, they do it so fast, it is nearly impossible to /ignore them w/o scrolling on the chat window to stop the text and then clicking the name. To me, this would be a very easy solution that would effect the community minimally. A really popular mmorpg had something like this where even if you were talking too much in the zone/trade chat you would get a message stating too many characters have been sent in x time. Please wait and try your request again shortly..

Another option which would be slightly more invasive would be to make someone be lvl 6 or 8 or 10 before being able to talk in PE. Again, I realize this option wouldn't be as popular because there are new people that have legit questions etc before they will reach that lvl.

Finally, maybe eliminate the copy/paste or whatever it is that allows them to spam the same thing over and over. If every spam has to be manually entered character by character, they will maybe get one spam out and be ignored by enough people to be muted before they have the chance to type it out again.

I think I could deal much more easily with 1 block of spam every so often easily. What really gets to me is the blocks of spam. I mean, the junk scrolls so fast it is ridiculous. Nothing else can be seen in zone chat. Anything that happens to be posted in the midst of the endless spam is instantly lost in their multiple paragraphs.

Again, I know this can be a tough problem to combat on a f2p game, but these (especially the first) suggestion would be so easy to implement and greatly improve the quality of the game. If something doesn't change soon, it will ruin the game for me and I will have to walk away with many others.

Thanks

Edited to add a blank line to make it more divided/easy to read.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I think the second option of having a 30 second delay between posts is the best solution out of those you said.

I also agree with having to get to level 10 to post in zone chat.

I would suggest making a hybrid of the 2 solutions. If you are level 20 and under, you can only post in zone chat once every 30 seconds.
This discussion has been closed.