What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NW now requires PWE Arc to install???

Comments

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well right now you have to alt tab out of the game to use your browser. With the one with ARC you can use while still in the game with no alt tabbing out
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Darn...the rest of my rant got cut off...boo on that, not worth retyping it.

EDIT: The larger point being is I don't WANT a third party program, nor do I NEED one to help me play games. If PWE wants to do this, they need to keep it optional and it's up to them to demonstrate it's something I'd willingly download to enhance my experience, not something that they force on me and then learn to endure.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    komatakiakomatakia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Heh, funny thread.

Every big publisher wants their own walled garden. Steam does it, Apple does it, hey - everyone does it today (Google, MS, Ubi...). Why wouldn't PWE?

It makes sense, all these games under one account, one launcher, one ring to rule them all, ec. ;)
  • Options
    mosselenmosselen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i dont think arc is usefull the same about the steam program. why?
    i can play just one game at a time i am no bot :p .
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Well right now you have to alt tab out of the game to use your browser.

Only if you only have one screen, and only if you run the game maximised instead of in a window.
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    komatakia wrote: »
    Heh, funny thread.

Every big publisher wants their own walled garden. Steam does it, Apple does it, hey - everyone does it today (Google, MS, Ubi...). Why wouldn't PWE?

It makes sense, all these games under one account, one launcher, one ring to rule them all, ec. ;)

Yes makes sense from a company's PoV (walled garden), but customer? We want choices.

Cryptic, tell PWE to let me NOT chose to install their bloatware.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    EDIT: The larger point being is I don't WANT a third party program, nor do I NEED one to help me play games. If PWE wants to do this, they need to keep it optional and it's up to them to demonstrate it's something I'd willingly download to enhance my experience, not something that they force on me and then learn to endure.

This.

Also, rhoric, I am perfectly ok using the alt tab function. I don't need a web browser inside my game.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    ..I don't WANT a third party program, nor do I NEED one to help me play games. If PWE wants to do this, they need to keep it optional and it's up to them to demonstrate it's something I'd willingly download to enhance my experience, not something that they force on me and then learn to endure.

This. This. This. +1, 2, 3.
  • Options
    yulricyulric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hmmm --

It doesn't improve my graphics or game performance..... it doesn't supply me with free Zen or any other currency type... it hasn't improved anything for me personally as a gamer. Since linking to other games is not of an interest to me -- the ARC is a waste. A no business being on my machine. When it does IMPROVE my gaming experience as is declared - then I might consider it - but it is on its way to removal....
    I am a Priest - not a God....
    If you play stupid, then imo you can die stupid - no sense in me wasting heals on you.
  • Options
    vattaravattara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still have the Beta Neverwinter_NW.1.20130416a.6.exe file
    Can I use this to reinstall NW if necessary or do I need this ARC program?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mosselen wrote: »
    i dont think arc is usefull the same about the steam program.

Arc and Steam don't really seem to be the same thing. Steam is an online store, a digital distribution service, and a DRM system.

Arc (like Aeria's Ignite, NCSofts Launcher, Netmarble's Launcher, etc, etc, etc) seems to be more of just a centralized launcher for all the games from one f2p provider - I guess it lets them advertise their other games to you. And it's a single program to keep all their stuff updated/etc if you play more than one game from a certain company.

Yeah, still a bit annoying to have all these extra programs that you don't care for. But they seem to serve different purposes.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hate Steam period.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    I hate Steam period.

It's not just about hate, it's about installing a chinese spyware in this case. :rolleyes: PWE can use it to collect gods-know-what on our computers. It's like Itunes. No way i have this installed on my PC.
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It's not just about hate, it's about installing a chinese spyware in this case. :rolleyes: PWE can use it to collect gods-know-what on our computers. It's like Itunes. No way i have this installed on my PC.
    than I have the solution for you problem - don't install it. It's not like you can uninstall it and scan your computer for any remaining files.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hate Steam period.

There's one on every forum....
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    than I have the solution for you problem - don't install it. It's not like you can uninstall it and scan your computer for any remaining files.

Yeah if neverwinter can work without it, that's what i'll do. But i don't like having to install 3rd party softwares. It's my computer, i should be free to install exactly what i want, FFS. It's like someone selling kitchens and forcing you to have a microphone installed to make the oven work. Silly.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thorizden wrote: »
    There's one on every forum....

Indeed, Steam is a spyware made by Chinesse to gather information.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    zinnobianzinnobian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I installed NW twice. One on my desktop just a few days ago, no Arc. Yesterday I installed it on my laptop and I was forced to install Arc. All you need to do is open the Arc file, drag the Application icon of NW to your desktop and use that to open the game, then remove Arc. Really simple.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    Indeed, Steam is a spyware made by Chinesse to gather information.

and reprogram you brain to be a sleeper cell assassin.....
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    and reprogram you brain to be a sleeper cell assassin.....

...and become an epic level monk
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah if neverwinter can work without it, that's what i'll do. But i don't like having to install 3rd party softwares. It's my computer, i should be free to install exactly what i want, FFS. It's like someone selling kitchens and forcing you to have a microphone installed to make the oven work. Silly.

It works without it. I uninstalled arc and scanned registry for any loose files, the game runs perfectly.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does Arc include a browser?

Arc uses a custom built-in browser which you can invoke during gameplay by pressing SHIFT-TAB.

Huh, a combination of 2 frequently used buttons in this game? How long before someone fat-fingers a little and accidentally opens a browser in the middle of a fight ...
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah...quite possibly the two worst buttons you could pick. Shift and Tab...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I've used Core Connect in the past and ARC not that long ago, and as someone who loathes bloatware, malware, spyware and other nasty things... I strongly feel that ARC is not any of these. That's just my opinion as someone who knows how to see what's running, detect viruses, malware, and other bad things and manually remove them. To me, ARC is far from a "bad" program. If anything, it is a good program, for it allows one to access all their PWE games in one place and will eventually be a central place for PWE Game Achievements, in-game prizes and rewards, and a social platform for players playing multiple PWE Games. If I didn't use Steam for so many games already, I'd re-install ARC without hesitation.

. . . . . Personally, I'm hoping for it to go to Steam, if they do decide to port it to Steam also like they did with CO and STO. That's only because I have a ton of other games through Steam already, including STO, CO, and FW and would like to continue to have them there - this is the only reason I uninstalled ARC and reinstalled my PWE Games through Steam. Steam is way more intensive than ARC and Steam is barely even noticeable to me.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Hey Diogene,

Like many programs, Arc has the option to submit data to us to help improve Arc. If you check this box, it does collect information to help us improve the UI and optimize performance on different hardware, but if you do not check it, then it doesn't send us any data about your machine. Your privacy is important to us.

Thank you for requesting clarification!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    Huh, a combination of 2 frequently used buttons in this game? How long before someone fat-fingers a little and accidentally opens a browser in the middle of a fight ...

Hey Tinukeda,

You can change the keystroke mapping to anything you like. Simply bring up the options menu then select the "In-Game" tab. Thanks for sharing your feedback!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    yulric wrote: »
    hmmm --

It doesn't improve my graphics or game performance..... it doesn't supply me with free Zen or any other currency type... it hasn't improved anything for me personally as a gamer. Since linking to other games is not of an interest to me -- the ARC is a waste. A no business being on my machine. When it does IMPROVE my gaming experience as is declared - then I might consider it - but it is on its way to removal....

Hey Yulric,

You bring up a good point. The interesting thing is that we are purposely releasing Arc early with minimal features because we only want to add what people want. Rather than creating bloatware and filling it up with what we think players want, we are making it clean and simple at first, then adding new features as we see feedback from players. This is a great time to share your feedback regarding what you'd like to see in terms of functionality!

Free Zen is not part of the plan, though we do plan to integrate features that allow you to get free codes and items through things like achievements and giveaways, though those features are early in development and I don't have any details yet regarding exactly how they will function. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    liontriadliontriad Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @dezstravus, I think I would be more at ease with ARC if there was absolutely no peer to peer tech like with Panda Media Booster, with bandwith limits being common in the US. The option to turn off any p2p tech would be ok, but I'd rather there be absolutely no p2p tech at all in the launcher. When I reinstalled STO a while back, and Panda Media Booster was required, I didnt continue and stopped playing STO/CO until I went with Steam.
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Yulric,

You bring up a good point. The interesting thing is that we are purposely releasing Arc early with minimal features because we only want to add what people want. Rather than creating bloatware and filling it up with what we think players want, we are making it clean and simple at first, then adding new features as we see feedback from players. This is a great time to share your feedback regarding what you'd like to see in terms of functionality!

Free Zen is not part of the plan, though we do plan to integrate features that allow you to get free codes and items through things like achievements and giveaways, though those features are early in development and I don't have any details yet regarding exactly how they will function. Thanks for sharing!

Optional to install, just making it optional. That's all we ask.

Even if its a small link that says direct download like it used to.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey all, we ask that you please take a look over our Arc FAQ. It answers many questions about our new and exciting Arc platform!

wow. that has to be the most PR-speak without even trying to hide it reply ever.
This discussion has been closed.