test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NW now requires PWE Arc to install???

mrresponsiblemrresponsible Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
First off, props to the Neverwinter development team. I went through the Perfect World site forum to get my ability to post in this forum returned and in 20-30 mins I had it. Thank you for that.

Is there a way to download the game client without needing to get the ARC platform? I ask because quite a few gamers already have steam on their computers so another content delivery service seems a waste of space and resources. Is there perhaps some additional content available via this program or some anti-cheating measures being enabled?
Post edited by mrresponsible on

Comments

• Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Trying to clean install NW on a new PC, but now I must install this mess?

Why not make it optional? I don't want any other PWE games so this adds nothing to my experience, just bloatware.
  • Options
    vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's strange, I installed Neverwinter 3 days ago on my pc (after reinstall of Windows) and dind't see anything about "PWE Arc", whatever it may be.
    signature-lili.png
  • Options
    liontriadliontriad Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I refuse to instal ARC. If i ever have to reinstall any PWE game I'll only do it with the ones on Steam and forget the rest. And if the ones on Steam are required too eventually, I'll stop playing. I wish Cryptic had enough funds to leave PWE, cuz I'm only here for them.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    liontriad wrote: »
    I refuse to instal ARC. If i ever have to reinstall any PWE game I'll only do it with the ones on Steam and forget the rest. And if the ones on Steam are required too eventually, I'll stop playing. I wish Cryptic had enough funds to leave PWE, cuz I'm only here for them.

I don't see Steam doing something like that. This is PURELY assumption since STEAM usually have their own installers and servers. I can see anti-bot software, but not "interface" like ARC. Steam is big enough to turn away ARC (I presume) it is a big marketplace for F2P MMO. I'm sure PWE won't force Steam to install ARC. If they do, I'll be surprise.
    that is my assumption.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cannot comment on if ARC is now required for a reinstall, but I'm in the group that I wont install this bloatware under any circumstances!
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Cannot comment on if ARC is now required for a reinstall, but I'm in the group that I wont install this bloatware under any circumstances!

Same here, I hope they don't make it required.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    I don't see Steam doing something like that. This is PURELY assumption since STEAM usually have their own installers and servers. I can see anti-bot software, but not "interface" like ARC. Steam is big enough to turn away ARC (I presume) it is a big marketplace for F2P MMO. I'm sure PWE won't force Steam to install ARC. If they do, I'll be surprise.
    that is my assumption.

Steam has done it before with free to play games and otherwise. Last I recall was install Ubi's crapware when I bought and installed Far Cry 3. Launching through Steam meant launching Ubi's stupid little portal first and then going in game =_=
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Oh hell! Does this effect every new install? Even ones that use the old installer (I still have the beta installer)? Or does it only effect people who download the latest installer?

You can add me to the list of folks that won't install this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for any reason. If this becomes mandatory, then I'm outta here!
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here we go again with this. ARC is NOT bloatware. I have had it installed since STO, you dont even notice it is there until you use it to launch the game.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Here we go again with this. ARC is NOT bloatware. I have had it installed since STO, you dont even notice it is there until you use it to launch the game.

I only play 1 Perfect World game. Arc is most definitely bloatware. It takes up space on my computer and adds no real benefit. I can see where it might be a benefit to those who play more than one Perfect World game, but it is no benefit to me. They tout easier access to Core Connect but Neverwinter isn't even part of Core Connect the last time I checked. Arc is basically a big advertisement trying to get you to play other Perfect World games and using my computer's resources to do so. No thank you.
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I installed it yesterday even though I did not yet need to and so far I have no problem with it. I like it.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If this is true, I will probably not reinstall the game if I have to.
  • Options
    xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    there should be an easy way around it, usually someone out there will have original install file just sitting on their drive. google that madness and see if you can find it. The other option is to simply install it. uninstall only arc and launch via the exe in the nw directory.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If I recall correctly, they did this for all of Cryptic's games. If you have the original exe file, you should be okay. I'm sure someone here has it and can get it on a file sharing spot.
  • Options
    kenben94kenben94 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree I just got a new computer and I want neverwinter without arc as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm sure someone out there will be able to link to the original file for NeverWinter. No one who enjoys keeping a neat, clean computer wants to download ARC.
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Making a backup of my drive so that I don't have to reinstall Neverwinter.

My principles simply won't allow me to install bloatware just to play a game.

- A paying customer.
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited August 2013
    Hey all, we ask that you please take a look over our Arc FAQ. It answers many questions about our new and exciting Arc platform!
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Will future versions of Perfect World games require Arc to download and patch?

From a technical standpoint, we would absolutely love to make Arc a central, exclusive platform that serves update and patching functionality for all our games, though we are not ready to do that just yet. First, we want to make the tool something that our players enjoy and feel genuinely improves their gameplay experience. If you have feedback about how Arc can better provide you access to your favorite Perfect World games, please feel free to post it on our forums. We’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Please forward our thoughts, that we are not excited about it. And would prefer not to have it as a requirement. As a side add on, you can install by yourself, fantastic; but no no to required.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I didn't find anything new or exiting from the Arc.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hey all, we ask that you please take a look over our Arc FAQ. It answers many questions about our new and exciting Arc platform!

I looked at it. I decided I still don't want more bloatware on my computer. So no. I've already saved my install launchers to Dropbox so that I will have them when I need them.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think the big question is do you need ARC in order to run the game?

Or can it be uninstalled after installing the game?
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you uninstall ARC after installing the game?
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I assume its on the FAQ but haven't bothered looking.

You CAN delete the ARC and you CAN launch NW w/o it, but if you can do that whats the point of requiring it for install in the first place?

Careful though when uninstalling it, if you just keep clicking next u might uninstall ALL PWE games with it if you aren't paying attention.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    <Please do not advise players to download the game from unofficial sources>
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only play 1 Perfect World game. Arc is most definitely bloatware. It takes up space on my computer and adds no real benefit. I can see where it might be a benefit to those who play more than one Perfect World game, but it is no benefit to me. They tout easier access to Core Connect but Neverwinter isn't even part of Core Connect the last time I checked. Arc is basically a big advertisement trying to get you to play other Perfect World games and using my computer's resources to do so. No thank you.

Having never installed ARC I don't know what kind of resources it takes up, but is it really that much heavier than the actual launcher? I personally kinda like the sound of ARC. I sometimes fiddle around in STO or CO (though rarely), so being able to patch and launch all three games from one piece of software would be nice. Also, I'm hoping that a "built in" web browser will let us surf the web without booting us from the game for inactivity. I'm not sure if it works that way though.

I'm somewhat confused as to why people would be okay with STEAM, but not ARC. STEAM is effectively bloatware /and/ a middle-man that holds the keys to games I've already purchased. I own Civilization 5 and its first expansion - I actually physically have the CDs which I bought in a brick and mortar store - but when I bought a new computer I couldn't install the games without installing STEAM. I found that much more frustrating than ARC seems to be.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can uninstall it. It isn't required for the NW launcher to work.
  • Options
    wmtrexlerwmtrexler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    I'm somewhat confused as to why people would be okay with STEAM, but not ARC.

Your assuming that people are OK with steam.
  • Options
    marlzmarlz Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2013
    wmtrexler wrote: »
    Your assuming that people are OK with steam.

+1, steam kinda forces your balls to the wall with good games, no BL2 for me with out it -sigh-
    and yeh, games do RUN smoother w/o steam being open, learnt that during warframe ~_~ the steam launcher gave me minor lag, but the stand alone was perfect ~_~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *sigh* Why do companies do this to us?
    Facilitating game downloads, patching, community interaction, web browsing

Wait? So I need a third party program to help me do these? Because double-clicking the Neverwinter icon on my desktop is hard. And if I'm only playing Neverwinter, you're now making me to DOUBLE the work to play a SINGLE game by having to go through ARC. Thanks.

...and "web browsing"? So now PWE thinks I need another program to help me browse the web? Why would I stop using a real web-browser to browse with some tacked on crapware being forced at me?

You
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
This discussion has been closed.