test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Goldseller found a new way

Comments

• cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    or....you could just turn off zone chat.....your psyche will thank you.
    Turning off zone-chat removes *all* chat. Surely there's gotta be a middle-thing? Not saying I spend time in zone-chat in the city, but it's vital for finding groups in other zones.
    edited August 2013
    thats what guilds are for, and player made social channels.

or havent you gone that route yet ?
    tell them how to remove then and be a billionaire

Ah well
    -Desstzo
  • jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    we can only report them for spam. 5 sec of your life for block that bot for 24 hour until the guy come back and make another account for spam bot. goldseller are virus on free to play game, we can only ignore/report them.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All things considered. Its not that out of hand. Annoying, yes. But out of control, not really.

Ive played other games, F2P games. Where the first act needed each day you logged on, was to ignore a new batch of gold spammers. In some cases 10 to 15 at a time. This isnt a case where it made chat, difficult. It made it impossible. Imagine a dozen bots, all spamming rapid fire on the same channel. Any other chat on the channel was simply obliterated. And you would have to add to that list every 30 minutes or so. And this happens in games where you have to spend money to even use zone wide chat. You actually had to use up a device for each line typed. And that did nothing, at all, to stop it.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    thats what guilds are for, and player made social channels.

or havent you gone that route yet ?

All the "real" players leaving zone just makes zone worse, since there's less legitimate users in it. Having everyone completely bail out of the public channels would just reduce the game to a bunch of people just hanging out in their own private bubbles. Sounds terrible.

edit: I find right-click/report spam to be pretty quick and easy.

But yeah, some kind of automatic "flood control" system, that would stop people from posting multiple times in a couple seconds wouldn't be a bad thing.
    edited August 2013
    leaving zone chat does 'not' make the game worse...lol....trust me on this.

heh.
    They need a few volunteer mods in-game, that can ban these people. Have their bans reviewed quickly, so they know that they aren't abusing the power. A few on each server, across a few time zones, would help.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They have also been creating characters with the name and dancing at the AH.

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    They need a few volunteer mods in-game, that can ban these people. Have their bans reviewed quickly, so they know that they aren't abusing the power. A few on each server, across a few time zones, would help.

Yes agree, but there again this particular seller has been active across all shards for MONTHS, with the same name !!
    i have seen, but very rarely , other Gold sellers pop up in zone chat, but they only spam a few lines and there gone, i can only presume banned and you NEVER see that name ever again.

As for reviews or discusions as to any actions that need to be taken to any of this kind of activity, i would have though Ban was and is the only option, so why ban some and not the main one.

I can see some thought having to be made concerning some names, especialy if they are deliberatly laid out to look like somthing other than a name, . But this guy, lol, his name is an actual web address, its just so blatent. this is a instant break of ToS, no discusion needed..
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They could add a separate "title" dropdown, such as Mr. Mrs. Ms. Dr. Sir, etc, before names, to cover that aspect. Of course "blank" would have to be an option as well. Then, they could only allow a capital letter as the first letter in a name, after a space, or after an apostrophe. Prohibit numbers or other characters, (save for the aforementioned apostrophe), and perhaps even limit the number of spaces people can use.

Yes, a stricter naming policy can be restrictive, but it will improve on the immersive aspects of the game and limit this kind of behavior.

Either way, *something* needs to be done...

PS: You can shut off the display of other people's names under GUI options. I have mine set to only show them when they're targeted/mouse-over. Having names display on everybody all the time also impacts how smoothly the game runs.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A restrictive naming policy does nothing when they can't even add simple spam filters. As it is now people can spam the same line of text 5 times a second until you manage to ignore them. This is really something that can easily be handled server side. What legitimate reason is there to spam the exact same text 15 times in 5 seconds? There isn't one.

This is basic stuff in any other online game, people.

(Disclaimer - I haven't played much since the latest patch so it's entirely possible they addressed this issue but I'm not very optimistic that was the case)
    edited August 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    A restrictive naming policy does nothing when they can't even add simple spam filters. As it is now people can spam the same line of text 5 times a second until you manage to ignore them. This is really something that can easily be handled server side. What legitimate reason is there to spam the exact same text 15 times in 5 seconds? There isn't one.

This is basic stuff in any other online game, people.

(Disclaimer - I haven't played much since the latest patch so it's entirely possible they addressed this issue but I'm not very optimistic that was the case)

I agree... a limiter is indeed needed. There's no reason, like you pointed out, that someone needs to repeat the same line of text several times in only a few seconds.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited August 2013
    This is the one of the only games i know that you can name you character basicaly anything but a actual name, without being pulled up about it fairly fast by GM's etc, some you cant get past the initial naming screen if its not accepted

Going back to the OP , this one guy, seller, is blatently using a full web site address as his name, and even more its a gold seller !!! instank break of ToS, but he as been around since open beta, LOL.

Obviously there is no kind of naming restrictions when creating a character, BUT the profanity filter works perfectly fine in game, so how come there is not a filter on totaly obvious breaks of ToS in the character naming screen.

I mean seriously this guy is not just offending the odd player with is name, he his running around and as been for months blatently taking the p**s out of the ToS, and NOTHING as been done, seriously !!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well it's a bit funny to see the undressed girl with the well-known name dancing near the door or on the top of the city. It's a lot less annoying than the zone chat spam, so i shamelessly admit that i didn't take time to report that.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I mean seriously this guy is not just offending the odd player with is name, he his running around and as been for months blatently taking the p**s out of the ToS, and NOTHING as been done, seriously !!

Its not the same guy, not even the same person. The same company or website, sure. But thats hardly the same thing. Keep in mind you can have multiple characters on the same shard with the exact same name. Just because the name is the same means nothing. It has no bearing on the account. I expect this site has a very high turn over rate on characters and accounts. I expect that what you see as the same guy over and over again, all this time. Is actually the work of dozens of characters and accounts, banned, recreated, and replaced as needed.

Its hard to stop them, its a free game. All you need is a fresh email and 15 minutes of time to get past the tutorial and its back to spamming again. A few banned accounts is just the cost of doing business for these guys.
    edited August 2013
    "Its hard to stop them" realy, he or they are using a web address as a character name, that can be stopped. stopping the use of specific names is very easy to do, if they was using a random name or just a mass of letters like I have seen other gold sellers use, then it does get harder to keep on top of, but they do seem to get banned or disappear within 10 mins of any input in zone chat.

But this guy/company, i have seen the very same 1 character around the AH for hours at a time, dancing, spamming zone chat, without any problems, In fact i probably even have it on fraps. This guy as been around for 4 or 5 months and he obviously has the gold selling market cornered and is taking money from the game and the publishers , and nothing as been done , lol

So you saying they can go and design, code, develop new mounts and companions nearly every 2 weeks to create income, but they can not stop 1 ilegal company from taking money from their game, even when the people use the exact same name for the ingame character every time, i find that very hard to believe indeed
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    If they can filter profanity, they could at least filter names with "www" and ".com". Seriously, how many names - real or fictional - have you seen with those legitimate character orders?
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    But this is tiresome. I am aware of channels and avoiding Zone chat and all, but do I have to be forced to do that?

Also, all people who purchase gold from these sellers and makes the transaction in-game must be perma-banned.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The gold-sellers have already been getting around restrictions on characters in names by dropping periods, etc, as has been stated. And it's definitely not the same person every time -- I've reported probably a dozen of them, all different account names each time.

What's troubled me is that one gold-spammer a couple of hours ago had a legit-looking character name (given name and surname) but spammed the same message as the obvious gold-sellers did. Either they've started using game-generated names as well, or some dude bought from them and they hijacked his/her account. Didn't get a screenshot unfortunately.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • dissengulp71dissengulp71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Its hard to stop them, its a free game. All you need is a fresh email and 15 minutes of time to get past the tutorial and its back to spamming again. A few banned accounts is just the cost of doing business for these guys.

Totally agree sadly. We were just talking about this in our guild along with bots and AD farming to sell for real $. Maybe it is just me or the members of our guild but we all agreed it seems NW is even more susceptible to this sort of business than any other MMO any of us had played over the years. With it being completely free opens the door to both great things and bad things. I just hope with time and the player base being vigilant we can put a hurting on their business but I don't think it will ever go away completely. I mean when you can probably buy 1 million AD for a drop in the bucket versus earning 1 million AD honestly it is inevitable some are going to go this route unfortunately. Pathetic but nonetheless very true.
    Frothy Ironanvil, Lvl 60 Dwarven Cleric
    Leader, Stormblades
    Dragon Shard
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . The locked box specific thing cannot be disabled, unfortunately. In STO, they ended up putting in a toggle to stop them from happening in chat but they still appear on-screen. It's part of their marketing incentive most likely. The emote issue a known bug.

In all likelihood they have it force-enabled due to a problem that cropped up around the release of Legacy of Romulus where players would inadvertently get permabanned for repeating the URL of a gold-selling website in chat without seeing the warning (telling them to not do it again or their account would be banned) because the warning used the same message classification as those "player acquired whatever" system messages that players could (and pretty much everyone did) turn off.

Both in chat and on-screen.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The name is "Malcolm" ;)

[Sarcasm]

Right because people only spell names one way. its not like anyone spells John...jon or Christina Cristina. and im sure you have never seen anyone named Marc or variants of Tom Thomas Tomas.... so you would never ever have someone named Malcom

[/Sarcasm]

I was merely suggesting a probably way that com might be used in a name. as Beck pointed out there are other legitimate variants. You cant really spell check names because there are so many cultural variants especially in mmos where people will purposely misspell a name to be unique. even if you do not need to in NWO a lot of the characters we see here were possibly started in WOW, EQ, UO, GW or COH.

I think a 10 second delay between posts is not harsh. or make it so if you say the exact same thing 3 times in a row in under a minute you get silenced. but on average anything they do to prevent gold sellers will affect newbies more harshly than gold farmers.
    edited August 2013
    Irrelevant of the zone chat spam,

In the initial character creation screen using or attempting to use a obvious e-mail address as a character name should immediately ring alarm bells. Even just starting a name with WWW. should instantly raise alarm. PWE have been publishing online games for years and i know they have name restrictions in chararcter creation in many other games, so whats the problem in this case ?

This one perticular seller uses a word perfect e-mail address. No other ever does or as, i have seen other characters spam chat for gold sales, but none have ever used a e-mail address as a name, and they dissapere very fast, banned or logged whatever.
  • vonhugevonhuge Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a gold spammer running around Protectors Enclave. They keep spamming the chat channel with emotes and such. Very annoying.(yes, I know I can put them on ignore.)
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I just report player..Had a dancer at auction area last night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    I saw one too, and reported him as well.
    edited August 2013
    there is no such thing as gold spammers.... it's all a lie.
    Frankly, I'd say they are a disruption to the game. Given the amount of lag issues in Protector's Enclave, having multiple spammers makes things that much worse.
This discussion has been closed.