test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Goldseller found a new way

vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Well as the report spam function is doing a good job the goldseller have of course find out new ways to spam.

14wt6s8.png

It's using /em dance all the time, sometimes you see this in the chatbox.
signature-lili.png
Post edited by vverg on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Players with those character names are actively having action taken against them.

Report them in game or via support tickets. :)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Serious question here - why does the game allow non-letter characters? Especially in a medieval/D&D setting, there's no reason someone should have all caps names w/ periods in them. Apostrophes I can understand, but other characters and all caps should be restricted.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Serious question here - why does the game allow non-letter characters? Especially in a medieval/D&D setting, there's no reason someone should have all caps names w/ periods in them. Apostrophes I can understand, but other characters and all caps should be restricted.
    . . . . . My character's in-game over-head name is a nickname, and as such I use apostrophes: 'Old Zeb' and then in my Biography I have written my character's full name. My half-orc also uses apostrophes and a hyphen, Zebek 'Elf-Ear' Teldir as he is a rare breed of half-orc (sun elf/half-orc) and aquired the nick-name from his half-orc brethren because his ears resemble that of an elf's from his gold-elven mother. Also, my drow uses an apostrophe in her name, Myradaxx Dae'Vesh. So no, not all non-letter characters should be removed. I do agree, all-caps and periods have no place in a player's name within an MMORPG, especially a D&D related one.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . My character's in-game over-head name is a nickname, and as such I use apostrophes: 'Old Zeb' and then in my Biography I have written my character's full name. So no, not all non-letter characters should be removed. I do agree, all-caps and periods have no place in a D&D MMORPG.

I mentioned that apostrophes would be ok, but in simplest terms, why couldn't he be Old Zeb? Why are the marks needed from a gameplay perspective, (especially if not allowing them reduces spammers and such?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I mentioned that apostrophes would be ok, but in simplest terms, why couldn't he be Old Zeb? Why are the marks needed from a gameplay perspective, (especially if not allowing them reduces spammers and such?

. . . . . . I wanted to signify that the over-head name was just a nick-name and that his first and last name were not "Old" and "Zeb." I'm a role-player by nature, so it just felt right and quotations are not allowed in names. *the mage nods, agreeing with himself as usual*
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013

Two words: Drizzt Do'Urden

Apostophes must stay. Haha.
    As for periods, well what if somebody wants to be Dr. So-in-so? There are valid reasons to permit periods in names as well.

However I do feel that the censor which exists to prevent offensive usernames should also check for internet addresses.

www. and .com should automatically get flag a name as unacceptable. Also certain character grouping which are known gold selling and rule breaking websites should also be automatically filtered as well. They will still get around it just as they do but the harder it is and the more they have to mess up the text the less they will want to do it.

If we pretend "perfectworld" was a gold selling site simply by not forcing them to type p3rfectw0rld.moc or something similar would be a major detriment to the effectiveness of the spam advertising.
    edited August 2013
    As for periods, well what if somebody wants to be Dr. So-in-so? There are valid reasons to permit periods in names as well.
    . . . . . . Ah yes, I totally forgot about abbreviations of titles for names, indeed - that is a valid reason for having periods.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't think any non-letter characters in names should be allowed, other than the apostrophe and minus/dash. If you want to use a nickname, why not write it in the history instead? Or use a nickname without periods and semi-colons in them? Instead of saying Dr., why not just say Dr? Dr. might be more correct, but allowing symbols means people can abuse it to their heart's content. I know we don't have a RP-server (much as I want one), and there's no naming policy (want that one eve more.) But honestly, every time I see a character with numbers in his or her name, it makes me want to put him or her on my ignore-list.

For that matter, I have already set a few people on their ignore-list simply for running around dungeons in their underwear. Not surprisingly, every single one of them had female characters, and something tells me they are not female players. (name a single female who literally named her character after her big butt, if you can...) That's disturbing on so many levels.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    good job on the gold spammers keep it up :)
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hahahaha yes :) i saw those too a while ago, can`t be bothered to report. it cost them the same effort to create a new char as it takes me reporting. while i don`t gain anything from it ;p
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They probably have a ton created already. I'd see one disappear to be replace with another, with the same name, seconds later. Something more drastic would be needed.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    vverg wrote: »
    Well as the report spam function is doing a good job the goldseller have of course find out new ways to spam.

14wt6s8.png

It's using /em dance all the time, sometimes you see this in the chatbox.

I think you can disable that from your chat options , not sure though.

Anyways they dont really bother me and they don't affect my gameplay so whatever.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    People now doing stuff like this is the only reason I would want an open world pvp... have some sword mr www. &
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    I think you can disable that from your chat options , not sure though.

Anyways they dont really bother me and they don't affect my gameplay so whatever.

How do i turn off the system messages? " playerxyz has obtained a bla bla nightmare blub "? It is the same category as the emoticon chat channel and i can't seem to find an option to turn it off. Even if i have all marks unchecked i will still get to see " player bla ble blub: sit "

Any ideas?

edited August 2013
    How do i turn off the system messages? " playerxyz has obtained a bla bla nightmare blub "? It is the same category as the emoticon chat channel and i can't seem to find an option to turn it off. Even if i have all marks unchecked i will still get to see " player bla ble blub: sit "

Any ideas?
    . . . . . The locked box specific thing cannot be disabled, unfortunately. In STO, they ended up putting in a toggle to stop them from happening in chat but they still appear on-screen. It's part of their marketing incentive most likely. The emote issue a known bug.
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . The locked box specific thing cannot be disabled, unfortunately. In STO, they ended up putting in a toggle to stop them from happening in chat but they still appear on-screen. It's part of their marketing incentive most likely. The emote issue a known bug.

Tyvm for the answer, mr. zebular.

• nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow just wow . I cannot face-palm hard enough. As Bio said get rid of the non letters in player names.
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Wow just wow . I cannot face-palm hard enough. As Bio said get rid of the non letters in player names.

Let's pretend www.perfectworld.com was a gold selling website.
    If we remove the ability to type periods the names could still be written as:

"www perfectworld com"
    "perfectworld com"
    "wwwdotperfectworlddotcom"
    And any number of similar ways.

The problem isn't as simple as removing the non-letter characters.
    Preventing people from using "www," "com," and known gold selling websites would be where to start.
    edited August 2013
    Let's pretend www.perfectworld.com was a gold selling website.
    If we remove the ability to type periods the names could still be written as:

"www perfectworld com"
    "perfectworld com"
    "wwwdotperfectworlddotcom"
    And any number of similar ways.

The problem isn't as simple as removing the non-letter characters.
    Preventing people from using "www," "com," and known gold selling websites would be where to start.

Good point I headdesk at my stupidity , but we could improve on the idea by blocking WWW and COM and such like in names. Cryptic already has a good system up for blocking certain names and combinations in their older games.

EDIT

LOL I just noticed Amby said that before I did you must excuse me English is my 3rd tounge and it takes a littel while for the words to sink in :<
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You don't have to stop them entirely - you just need to make it so that their postings are so convoluted that no-one can read them and people get annoyed by their incomprehensible spam.....

Path of Exile managed this, I don't see any technical reason why cryptic can't....
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    <Please do not advertise exploits! The information you posted is directly against the Foundry Terms of Service and Staff members have been removing quests of that nature from the game as they are discovered/reported>
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    as long as noone has com in thier name that would be fine... Malcom ... as an example of corse but this is why they just let people report the names because any filtering can get messy for the non offending people. i remember in LOTRO thier profanity filter blocked the word weed... which was fine except growing Pipe weed was a legitimate tradeskill. so it really messed some people up.
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    You don't have to stop them entirely - you just need to make it so that their postings are so convoluted that no-one can read them and people get annoyed by their incomprehensible spam.....

From my post on page one:
    They will still get around it just as they do but the harder it is and the more they have to mess up the text the less they will want to do it.

Preaching to the choir, man! Hahaha.
    They'll keep trying no matter what filters are put up but if they become illegible they will start to find it not worth the effort to create the accounts.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The solution is called Regular Expressions ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCRE is one example): Grep and many other tools are able to match most patterns that a human can, if setup correctly! (libraries are available for most programming languages)
    edited August 2013
    I will say why are people daft enough to go to these websites? You'll end up scammed your bank account emptied your online identity stolen your gaming accounts hacked and your computer will be choc full of nasty viruses.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    <Please do not advertise exploits! The information you posted is directly against the Foundry Terms of Service and Staff members have been removing quests of that nature from the game as they are discovered/reported>

Geez u could only remove the name of the foundries :) And btw that not an exploit.... i was just playing some foundrys like everyone else can. Cryptic just need to keep eyes open for what kind of foundries people publish.

Well at least i hope forum moderators are aware of what i said and try to make somthing about it.
    edited August 2013
    as long as noone has com in thier name that would be fine... Malcom ... as an example of corse but this is why they just let people report the names because any filtering can get messy for the non offending people. i remember in LOTRO thier profanity filter blocked the word weed... which was fine except growing Pipe weed was a legitimate tradeskill. so it really messed some people up.

The name is "Malcolm" ;)

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still, people could have legitimate reasons to want to use the strong of characters "com" in their charname. Commander Something. Comedia del Arte.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Players with those character names are actively having action taken against them.

Report them in game or via support tickets. :)

Ye right ! lol, the same gold seller with the exact same name as been active, although probably on new characters, every single day since pre 'live launch'.

So your meaning of 'actively' is certainly not the same as most people know. Its is surprising at how many people do actually believe he is left to just get on with it. And it is ONLY that one specific seller, anybody else who breaks even the smallest of rule in the ToS would be insta banned within the hour.

His character name he uses should have been instantly dismised on the character creation screens, let alone being able to use it again and again for what is now months and months.
    The whole subject is beyond a joke and there is obviously more to it than what the 'normal' player see's
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    That gold-selling site is constantly spamming the Zone chat. I have to ignore three of four "users" everyday!

A lot of players are annoyed and sick of their advertising. Do something!
This discussion has been closed.