124»

Comments

• virtualcrackvirtualcrack Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lolol
    na all you have to do is ignore them
    if you report them there ip's get blocked then they create new ones
    don't report them just ignore them
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    lolol
    na all you have to do is ignore them
    if you report them there ip's get blocked then they create new ones
    don't report them just ignore them
    . . . . . This (in red) is not only incorrect but would be ignorant to do if done. As I've said before, it would be absurd to block IP addresses for you would be hard-pressed to find truly static IP Addresses. You have to specifically pay for them to have one. Most ISPs, like Comcast, do give out "static" IP addresses to their users. However, once the user reboots their modem or at Comcast's whim, a new "static" IP address is given to them and the old one is then recycled to another user. That is of course unless, as I've said, you're paying top-dollar specifically for a truly static IP Address.

. . . . . Additionally, many DSL companies share a single IP Address with up to 5 different customers, so blocking some DSL IPs may inadvertently block four innocent house-holds also. Then there are Campus and other Housing Type shared IP Addresses... Blocking of IP addresses is not the answer, reporting abuse on IP Addresses to the ISP themselves however.. now that is something I do myself from time-to time and have done elsewhere in other unrelated matters.
  • atsuipandaatsuipanda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    they could just do www(dot)google(dot)com and so on
  • atsuipandaatsuipanda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    anyone who says to ban ips must not know how ips work, A lot of ISPs recycle them monthly , and theres still these magic things called proxies and VPNs
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are ways to track any instance where the letters www, w w w, w.w.w, w-w-w, etc can be tracked. I used to be a GM vol for a game and one of my jobs was to track anyone who used any of those combos and get them banned, so it can be done.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When you see it every time you log in that's not an "assumuption" [sic], that's an observation. Rampant gold spamming occurrences are a fact. And since they're rampant it's not much of a jump to say Cryptic/PWE isn't doing enough to stop it.
    dexyman wrote: »
    that is an assumpution...you have no idea what goes on at cryptic's studio. don't be so simple minded as to turn your perception into fact.

You're not making the mental connection on my words, are you? If something is happens, then something else is not preventing that from happening. Funny how the logic sort of eludes you yet you continue to argue against it again. It doesn't matter what Cryptic is or isn't doing, it's not enough to curb the rampant gold spamming.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    I hear feathers ruffling....
    When you see it every time you log in that's not an "assumuption" [sic], that's an observation. Rampant gold spamming occurrences are a fact. And since they're rampant it's not much of a jump to say Cryptic/PWE isn't doing enough to stop it.

On the one hand, I agree that the gold seller spam is rampant and obnoxious. OTOH, the way to address this would require a multi-pronged approach:

1. Enact a stricter naming policy, which restricts certain non-alphabetic characters and/or sequences, (such as www). Also consider a limit to the number of repeating or numeric characters in account names, (no need to allow john111111111111111111111).

2. Don't enact an IP ban, but consider an IP/time login limiter. By that I mean only allow X number of accounts to login from the same IP over the course of a few hours. There's no reason why a regular household that shares their connection via a router to have 10 different accounts logging in through the same IP in the span of only 6-8 hours.

3. Monitor anti-afk measures taken by these spammers. For instance, note the location of a character and the frequency with which they input a command to prevent being auto-logged. If they aren't moving and if they're only pressing space exactly on the 10 minute mark over and over again for hours, force a logout.

4. Build and maintain a blacklist of known spammers. If you start to see many iterations of "wts" account and character names being (correctly) reported, prohibit those names. You may have to similarly make any such system robust enough to pick out www, w w w, ww w, or other permutations.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    On the one hand, I agree that the gold seller spam is rampant and obnoxious. OTOH, the way to address this would require a multi-pronged approach:

1. Enact a stricter naming policy, which restricts certain non-alphabetic characters and/or sequences, (such as www). Also consider a limit to the number of repeating or numeric characters in account names, (no need to allow john111111111111111111111).

2. Don't enact an IP ban, but consider an IP/time login limiter. By that I mean only allow X number of accounts to login from the same IP over the course of a few hours. There's no reason why a regular household that shares their connection via a router to have 10 different accounts logging in through the same IP in the span of only 6-8 hours.

3. Monitor anti-afk measures taken by these spammers. For instance, note the location of a character and the frequency with which they input a command to prevent being auto-logged. If they aren't moving and if they're only pressing space exactly on the 10 minute mark over and over again for hours, force a logout.

4. Build and maintain a blacklist of known spammers. If you start to see many iterations of "wts" account and character names being (correctly) reported, prohibit those names. You may have to similarly make any such system robust enough to pick out www, w w w, ww w, or other permutations.[/QUOTE

Regarding your points 2 and 3, Bioshrike, I feel that either could negatively affect innocent players. I'm speaking from a personal point of view, here, and I could be coming to an erroneous conclusion, when all is said and done. My husband and I both play as does our son. Our son doesn't live with us but it is not unknown for him to come visit and hijack one or another of our computers (usually mine!). We therefore have three accounts that could potentially log in from our isp on any given day and, yes, it would, most likely, be within a 6-8 hr time span. Couple this with my penchant for doing extended crafting sessions on my (to date) six current characters where I'm logging in and out of all six on a rotating basis for an extended period of time and I could see an inadvertant problem developing for me if an isp timer were to be enacted. I, further, tend to stay in one place with all six characters for convenience's sake as well as being able to invoke while in the midst of crafting. I would be pretty unhappy to be the victim of either an isp throttle or a forced log out.

Lottie
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    few people on their ignore-list simply for running around dungeons in their underwear. Not surprisingly, every single one of them had female characters,

Maybe this is just random luck - every underwear-only clad character I have seen so far in (Epic) Dungeons is male...
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Maybe this is just random luck - every underwear-only clad character I have seen so far in (Epic) Dungeons is male...

And usually a bald Dwarf or ugly Half-Orc. I'm not sure the reasons for this, but its not segzy. :p
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    And usually a bald Dwarf or ugly Half-Orc. I'm not sure the reasons for this, but its not segzy. :p

Yep - it is usually Dwarf, Human or especially Half-Orc GWFs - I guess the 'Conan' effect.....
    edited August 2013
    or they are running in thier social attire.... which is looks only if I am not mistaken.....
    Closing this down now as we've let it run its course far longer than we should have.

. . . . . Please report cheaters, problem players, exploits, and exploiters as outlined in our Rules of Conduct, Section III- Rule 3.01. The forums are not the place for this. Thanks!

(For chat spammers, simply right-click their name in chat and select "Report Spam" - this will not only report them to the GMs but also add them to your ignore list)
  • bijikbijik Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    looks like you are losing it.

the amount of spamming fill more than the chat now, its becomming a game for bot and cheater like diablo 2 was, so much spam you newer see the other player....

if i have to remove zone channel then its not a online game with other online gamer anymore for me, and its not fun sit and click ignore so much either, personal i dnt understand any online game are so open for other to spam in public....

Restrict it to level 60 player or something that require some work and time.
    edited August 2013
    I sense an over exaggeration in progress....
    so people below 60 can't communicate except by sending tells? people below 15 can't communicate? great idea.
  • johnnykcjohnnykc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    <Removed Exploit Discussion. Please PM me the exact details - Ambisinister>
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    If you right click the name and "Report Spam" after an undisclosed number of reports in a period of time such spammers will be silenced for at least 24 hours.

I actually don't see a lot of gold spam and I believe it is due to that system. Are you sure you are not reading players trading items without referencing a "no-no" website as "gold spam" when they are merely players attempting to trade items?
    Many players find gold hard to come by in the end game and revert to selling items for a gold equivalent via public chat. That is not directly cheating or gold spamming which violates the Terms fo Service and EULA.

I find it extremely annoying and am sad to say my zone chat is permanently turned off but their actions do not violate the Terms of Service or EULA as far as I can tell. Cryptic and PWE has the final say, though. :)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No, these are RMT spammers. Their website proudly displayed on each post. With just a few symbols added or altered to get past the autoban feature.

Tonight on Beholder I counted 12 in the span of an hour. And when they spam, they spam hardcore. Often getting out 30+ lines out before muted. Yea, they were getting reported and would eventually go silent. Only to have a new one show up a few minutes later under a different @handle. The 24 hour chat ban is useless as long as they have enough accounts and bots to rotate fresh spammers in.
    edited August 2013
    ...I actually don't see a lot of gold spam....

same here...