test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I have aquired a Friend......

jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am now playing at Level 60 with my Great Weapons Fighter in some of the last zones in the Story Missions. I find that I now tend to attract Clerics on occasion who follow me around the zones, sometimes for quite a while. They generally don't speak, even when spoken to. They don't tend to even try to pick up any drops. They do participate in fights, healing and damaging fairly well. They seem to be trying to get the numbers on the "Kill X Number Of Critters" missions and "Collect Y Numbers Of Dodads" quests. Is this a common tactic for partyless level 60 squishies or am I running into bots looking for Nodes? Or are they just a bit shy?

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
Post edited by jorifice1 on

Comments

• shadowycanshadowycan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A few die roll can solve that answer for you!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Probably shy.

As a cleric I can tell you I still haven't done the Whispering Caverns Storylines because it is basically impossible as a solo cleric. I myself have tried to follow random people there to clear the path for me not because I am trying to leach but because the zone is just monstrous for me alone.

Also if you are speaking in Zone Chat expect to be ignored by large portions of the player base. My Zone Chat has been off since day one of Open Beta. Sad but true. :(
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Probably shy.

As a cleric I can tell you I still haven't done the Whispering Caverns Storylines because it is basically impossible as a solo cleric. I myself have tried to follow random people there to clear the path for me not because I am trying to leach but because the zone is just monstrous for me alone.

Also if you are speaking in Zone Chat expect to be ignored by large portions of the player base. My Zone Chat has been off since day one of Open Beta. Sad but true. :(
    . . . . . Yeah, I rarely watch Zone Chat anymore either. I usually have my chat window set on my "Social" tab or my "Guild-Local" tab. Both of which are set to see Say and Emotes (as well as tells and certain system outputs) and the latter is also set up for Guild Chat. The only time I speak in Zone is when I am replying to someone's question I happened to see. Other than that, I only notice if I am talked to in either Say (Chat Bubbles too!), Guild, or Whisper (IM).
  • odelle12odelle12 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My son plays a GWF. He goes to low level zones on his level 38 and just follows people around. He helps with quests and just has fun. He doesn't type or respond. And he knows not to roll for loot if someone invites him to a group. So it could be someone's kid.
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Or they could just be sick of poking mobs to death with low cleric damage.

You still get credit for tagging mobs & your own set of drops if they aren't partied with you.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My GF was followed by a Cleric for almost all the map. When both returned to the campsite and I was about to leave the game for the real world I received a tell from him asking me to join a party with him. So he wasn't a bot after all
  • railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is one of the few games where you can get kill credit without being grouped up, so at least they're getting their quests done.
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Probably shy.

)=

I will be your friend

Not hitting on you D:

Maybe a little

Just kidding

No I'm not

Yes I am

Hi
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • shadowycanshadowycan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Probably shy.

:C I try to talk to people in Zone all the time, but they're all busy performing LFG spam.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Oops that sounds like me. When playing my cleric I often 'stalk' other players, just to get a quest completed. Playing a cleric is very, very hard, so please take pity on us and let us tag along.

As the others have said, I have all my chat options turned off too, so I don't see or respond to any chat. It's not because I'm trying to be rude, but I usually don't talk to my random 'friend' because I don't want to bother him. I figure if I keep quiet and don't get in his way, then he'll let me tag along with him :)

It's kind of sad that clerics have been reduced to the role of stalkers, but I just hope other players won't mind too much and will help us out when they can.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I figure if I keep quiet and don't get in his way, then he'll let me tag along with him :)

I haven't met a person yet who doesn't appreciate saving some potions. :D

I'm hoping the Whispering Caverns will be a bit more solo-cleric friendly after tomorrow's patch. I mean I don't have an overly hard time most times but it's extremely tedious at best and all the ranged attacks in Whipsering Caverns are brutal.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    klixan wrote: »

It's kind of sad that clerics have been reduced to the role of stalkers, but I just hope other players won't mind too much and will help us out when they can.
    Now that you have mentioned it..Can we get a Restraining Order to protect us from them clerics?
    :p
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I solo as a Cleric. I've completed the Whispering Caverns storylines. Admittedly I didn't do it alone as other people asked for my help. As for stalking other players, I don't do that sort of thing. I do heal any injured players I pass by though.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I seem to always see clerics running around just healing folks. I know I've been saved a few times from death by these roaming healers, so for that I say thanks :)
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I seem to always see clerics running around just healing folks. I know I've been saved a few times from death by these roaming healers, so for that I say thanks :)

Heh, I do that on my cleric whenever I see players fighting mobs. It it looks bad I pop in a heal and astral seal or two.

People walking around with some healthloss also get a heal once in a while. This isn't as altruistic as it may seem though, I'm building divinity ;)

I'm just thinking when the Feywild is released, how many of those wondering clerics will go the fairy-god-parental-figure route and strut around on a unicorn healing people :)
  • sveguroksvegurok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I haven't met a person yet who doesn't appreciate saving some potions. :D

I'm hoping the Whispering Caverns will be a bit more solo-cleric friendly after tomorrow's patch. I mean I don't have an overly hard time most times but it's extremely tedious at best and all the ranged attacks in Whipsering Caverns are brutal.

i found it easiest so far to solo everything with cleric. and i have GWF, CW
  • ergophobianergophobian Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    As a cleric I can tell you I still haven't done the Whispering Caverns Storylines because it is basically impossible as a solo cleric.

Hogwash, there is nothing a cleric can't solo, and Caverns was as easy as the 15 zones before it. Put DPS abilities in your slots.
  • theblazedtheblazed Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I solo'd everything on my Cleric. It was pretty difficult, but I managed to do it after many deaths.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Probably shy.

As a cleric I can tell you I still haven't done the Whispering Caverns Storylines because it is basically impossible as a solo cleric.

Wow, it's a good job that I didn't know that when I blazed through this zone on my first character, a very poorly-geared heal-specced cleric. It wasn't hard, and enormous fun. Very basic MMO l2p tropes applied about pulling back, not running forward, and not aggroing more than you could handle, but even then it was pretty far from challenging.

It's a really fast source of XP too, that zone. There are so many quests stacked up on the same area, if you put in a minimal amount of effort, the last few levels fly past. I died a couple of times in the Wrathforge, but that way due to exuberance, and missing some of those rogue-style Mindflayers- my own fault.

No, it's not "basically impossible as a solo cleric", at all.
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't want to be that guy but some of you are clearly playing the class wrong if you're having trouble soloing Whispering Caverns, or any other solo content for that matter.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    suxip01111 wrote: »
    I don't want to be that guy.

Don't worry, the forums are overloaded with that guy. 'L2P' seems to be the default response for many. -_-

Whispering caverns is sometimes tougher than expected in places: if you get dogswarmed by those braindoggies (ustiligators?) you can go from full to 33% health in less than a second, and that's in an astral shield. I've not died yet, but I can imagine being out of dodges and getting temp-dazed by a mindflayer at the exact same time as being dogswarmed could easily be a campfire moment. It's certainly less challenging overall than the ebon downs were at 30, where I was hard-pressed to kill one gang of dudes before the last lot respawned. Oh, the trains of zombies I dragged back to the campfire...happy days. :p

Mind you, I'm using the exact same generic healbot skillset (SB/AS/FF) I've used since level 50 because I'm old and bad at handling change. It might be easier if I took some more deeps, but I think I'd miss the heals. Plus...see "old" above.
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Don't worry, the forums are overloaded with that guy. 'L2P' seems to be the default response for many. -_-

Whispering caverns is sometimes tougher than expected in places: if you get dogswarmed by those braindoggies (ustiligators?) you can go from full to 33% health in less than a second, and that's in an astral shield. I've not died yet, but I can imagine being out of dodges and getting temp-dazed by a mindflayer at the exact same time as being dogswarmed could easily be a campfire moment. It's certainly less challenging overall than the ebon downs were at 30, where I was hard-pressed to kill one gang of dudes before the last lot respawned. Oh, the trains of zombies I dragged back to the campfire...happy days. :p

Mind you, I'm using the exact same generic healbot skillset (SB/AS/FF) I've used since level 50 because I'm old and bad at handling change. It might be easier if I took some more deeps, but I think I'd miss the heals. Plus...see "old" above.

I was actually about to edit my post because despite not wanting to be that guy, I was being that guy regardless.

Now that I think about it, everyone plays differently, everyone has different reaction times, different builds and powers, so for some it may be more challenging. My personal experience, however, was that I found it easier to solo content on my Cleric than any other class I played before it, and the amount of money I saved by not buying potions and kits was almost ridiculous.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    suxip01111 wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, everyone plays differently, everyone has different reaction times, different builds and powers, so for some it may be more challenging. My personal experience, however, was that I found it easier to solo content on my Cleric than any other class I played before it, and the amount of money I saved by not buying potions and kits was almost ridiculous.

The funny thing is that I found that pots dropped faster than I used them on DC, CW and GWF. With anything that wasn't my DC I took the free cleric pet, which saves a lot. With the cleric, I used a combination of self-healing and just abusing cc/AoE. Popping a healing word on your companion also heals you a bit, as memory serves. This makes life a lot easier. The game was very generous with buff potions too, and it's a wise idea just to quaff the lower-level ones as you go, as you'll soon see more powerful ones drop.
    morsitans wrote: »
    Whispering caverns is sometimes tougher than expected in places: if you get dogswarmed by those braindoggies (ustiligators?) you can go from full to 33% health in less than a second, and that's in an astral shield. I've not died yet, but I can imagine being out of dodges and getting temp-dazed by a mindflayer at the exact same time as being dogswarmed could easily be a campfire moment.

A lot of folks seem to have a hard time getting out of the mindset where they're shocked at dying. I know it took me a while- but the penalties in this game are really mild, as there is no durability damage or similar to worry about- it just costs you a single kit. I actually think suspect that the risk/reward balance favours you being a little gung-ho sometimes.
  • revealedrevealed Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Say thanks in chat next time this happens. As a cleric I never had a need to party with anyone because I was over-leveled for every area and dinged 60 somewhere in Rothe Valley (before things really get hard maybe?). But all the time as I wandered through areas if I saw someone close to death I would drop from horse and drop down a bunch of heals for them and then go back to doing what I was doing. Very very rarely does anyone ever say thank you in chat. I'm not doing it for the recognition, but still, it never hurts to just say thanks. Recently I've been leveling my cat through Hotenow and Whispering Caverns as a highly geared 60 Cleric and I've dropped tons of heals on people close to death (they must be hard areas) and almost never gotten a "thanks!".
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I've stuck blue astral shields down on people close to dying only to have them run out of them and accuse me of killstealing (and this is from level 60s!). On the other hand, I get a fair share of 'thanks' too. Takes all kinds.
  • darkhorsereigndarkhorsereign Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    revealed wrote: »
    Say thanks in chat next time this happens. As a cleric I never had a need to party with anyone because I was over-leveled for every area and dinged 60 somewhere in Rothe Valley (before things really get hard maybe?). But all the time as I wandered through areas if I saw someone close to death I would drop from horse and drop down a bunch of heals for them and then go back to doing what I was doing. Very very rarely does anyone ever say thank you in chat. I'm not doing it for the recognition, but still, it never hurts to just say thanks. Recently I've been leveling my cat through Hotenow and Whispering Caverns as a highly geared 60 Cleric and I've dropped tons of heals on people close to death (they must be hard areas) and almost never gotten a "thanks!".

I always say thank you when I can, but sometimes I'm in zone chat or group chat and mistype, combine that with being busy fighting and often times the cleric is gone before I have a chance to thank them. So its not always on purpose.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mind you, I CERTAINLY wasn't complaining about my new friend. I was mostly just puzzled by their lack of response to Zone Chat. I make it my policy to always talk to someone in Zone for at least a little bit before asking them to Join a Party (saves a LOT of headaches) and got no reaction, not even to a quick "Thanks for the heals!".

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    My lvl 60 CW is pretty squishy but I regularly go back to Whispering Caverns just to keep in practice and in general I have no issues there...though there was that one time I got mobbed by two drow assassins, three warriors, two blade spiders and a Drider...that was...kind of unmanageable... :D

But yeah I tended to stalk a bit in the upper levels on my Cleric...especially when doing things like the Generals in Hotenow...I'd wait for someone else to come along and then help them out. I have zone chat open but hardly ever pay any attention to it while questing.
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have started leveling a cleric and do random heals. If anyone said "thanks" it'd be very awkward for me ....._........ Just pretend I don't exist
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • nexus7000nexus7000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just a note to the OP, you wouldn't see them go for any drops as your drops are your drops. They don't see yours and you wouldn't see them picking up theirs.